Big shock, another crooked politician

Comments

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    brianlux said:
    I still call bullshit on this thread title and am waiting for Unsung to amend it so as not to be slanderous. 
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Hmm, lousy quote system.

I will not retract my statement given the majority of this forum is calling for impeachment of Trump when he has not been found guilty of any crimes at this point.

It is people like the Sanders' and their lousy policies that cause college rates to skyrocket out of control.  I look forward to this process and I take this personal.  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    unsung said:
    Hmm, lousy quote system.

I will not retract my statement given the majority of this forum is calling for impeachment of Trump when he has not been found guilty of any crimes at this point.

It is people like the Sanders' and their lousy policies that cause college rates to skyrocket out of control.  I look forward to this process and I take this personal.  
    OK, so your good with making slanderous statements.    There is a disconnect with your logic though: 

Others calling for Trump to be impeached (not all of us who dislike Trump have called for impeachment, I have not) --> therefor OK for you to accuse Sanders of something not yet proven. 

Not good logic.  In any case, I didn't really expect you to retract your statement.

But anyway, damn, dude, you take everything so seriously.  I'm really sorry about that.  I mean it.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    unsung said:
    Hmm, lousy quote system.

That's not how impeachment works.  Impeachment is the process through which guilt is determined.   
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    unsung said:
    Hmm, lousy quote system.

You use the word "majority" very incorrectly. The "majority" of the people on this forum are calling for Trump to be investigated thoroughly and to not let that investigation fall by the wayside becuase of some other pointless headline or tweet. Just like liberals who "want to take my guns away" you are accusing the "majority" based on the words of the few. 

I promise you that the "majority" of this forum is okay with Bernie and his wife being investigated, and if they are found guilty of anything they will get what's coming to them, and I say that as someone who very much wanted Bernie to be president. 

I also find find it downright fucking hilarious that you of all people are using this tit-for-tat mentality of "You won't change your thread title so I won't change mine *sticks tongue out*". It's literally baffling that you would use that argument, the person that basically says "Hey black people and all other groups/races that white Americans have treated poorly at one point or another, we have now washed our hands of all the wrong that's been done to you, don't expect any extra help or anything now." According to your tit-for-tat argument you use in this thread white people should have been slaves for awhile, tit-for-tat, nee-ner nee-ner nee-ner! Straight people should not be allowed to get married for a few years to know what it feels like, tit-for-tat, nee-ner nee-ner nee-ner!
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    Hmm, lousy quote system.

OK, so your good with making slanderous statements.    There is a disconnect with your logic though: 

Others calling for Trump to be impeached (not all of us who dislike Trump have called for impeachment, I have not) --> therefor OK for you to accuse Sanders of something not yet proven. 

Not good logic.  In any case, I didn't really expect you to retract your statement.

But anyway, damn, dude, you take everything so seriously.  I'm really sorry about that.  I mean it.

All we have to do is view the 2016 election to understand his corruption.

Clinton and the DNC screwed him over, which should have made him angry, instead he gave an endorsement.  Was he paid in some fashion or just no backbone?  At least when the GOP screwed over Ron Paul he didn't endorse Romney, he told them to get bent and held his own convention and packed the house.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    Hmm, lousy quote system.

Clinton and the DNC screwed him over, which should have made him angry, instead he gave an endorsement.  Was he paid in some fashion or just no backbone?  At least when the GOP screwed over Ron Paul he didn't endorse Romney, he told them to get bent and held his own convention and packed the house.
    And then scuttled back to his wacky, racist newsletter and went back to rambling about gold lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    Hmm, lousy quote system.

I'd rather have no backbone than have Donald Trump as my president, there are some things that are worth sacrificing your dignity for. 
    No there aren't. 
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    Hmm, lousy quote system.

Sorry doesn't change the fact that you are labeling Sanders as "corrupt" based on an investigation rather than a conviction.  Besides, I voted for Jill Stein.  Maybe now you'll want to post a "Jill Stein" is corrupt" thread.  (But be careful, the last one got locked.  :lol:  )
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Jill Stein is irrelevant and could never be President.

I admit to wondering if she wasn't doing Clinton's dirty work immediately post election.  She sure got paid.  What did she bring in, $5M?
    unsung said:
    No there aren't. 
    Agree to disagree. I was a huge Bernie supporter, and it was a tough pill to swallow, but I completely backed Hilary. Just like Bernie I knew that to keep pushing for him would do nothing but help the candidate I hated the most. It also comes off as being a sore loser, which I would consider another form of losing your dignity, like still refusing to change a profile pic 6 years after your ass was handed to you.  ;)
    My profile pic is not high on my day to day priority list.

I could have done the same and voted for Romney, but people like Romney and McCain are the enemy and therefore I could not do it, even to beat Obama.  A five lb shit sandwhich is not really more appealing than a 10.

Ron Paul has more dignity in his pinky finger than Sanders could have in ten lifetimes.
    unsung said:

I admit to wondering if she wasn't doing Clinton's dirty work immediately post election.  She sure got paid.  What did she bring in, $5M?
    I never expected she would.  For me, she was the best choice in a poor line-up.  I was lucky- Clinton had the California electoral college votes locked in, thus I felt free to "throw my vote away" as I've been accused of doing.  So yes, in a way it was a protest vote, but a calculated and very minor act of protest. 

Meanwhile, if the U.S. voting public doesn't get it's shit together in the next 3 1/2 years we are going to find all of this moot.  We will begin a descent into places we really don't want to go.  Ranting about old guys like Sanders, wasting time talking about impeaching Trump, hanging on to the premise that a corporate dem like Clinton would somehow makes everything fine and dandy, musing about a no-way-to-win in an election like Stein- all of that will be irrelevant.  We would do well to get our heads out of dark places and tackle the problems that are setting us on a dead end course: environmental degradation, overpopulation, corruption and greed, thoughtless and pointless division/bickering, and endless war, and move ahead by supporting candidates with similar concerns.

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    unsung said:

I could have done the same and voted for Romney, but people like Romney and McCain are the enemy and therefore I could not do it, even to beat Obama.  A five lb shit sandwhich is not really more appealing than a 10.

Ron Paul has more dignity in his pinky finger than Sanders could have in ten lifetimes.
    Isn't Paul on infomercials now hawking reverse mortgages, gold, or apocalyptic home survival kits now? Swear to god I saw that on late at night once. 
    I have to add to the above this quote I just read- I love it, so right on:

"Leaders in such a system are bound to be not just lesser men and women but something less than human. Hillary Clinton, for instance, lost the 2016 election because she came off as demonic, and I mean that pretty literally. To many Americans, especially the ones swindled by the magic of financialization, she was the reincarnation of the little girl in The Exorcist. Donald Trump, unlikely as it seems — given his oafish and vulgar guise — was assigned the role of exorcist. Unlike poor father Merrin, he sort of succeeded, even to his very own astonishment. I say sort of succeeded because the Democratic Party is still there, infested with all its gibbering demons, but it has been reduced politically to impotence and appears likely to soon roll over and die.

None of this is to say that the other party, the Republicans, have anything but the feeblest grip on credibility or even an assured continued existence. First of all there is Trump’s obvious plight as a rogue only nominally regarded as party leader (or even member). Then there is the gathering fiasco of neither Trump nor his party being able to deliver remedies for any of the ills of our time that he was elected to fix. The reason for that is simple: the USA has entered Hell, or at least a condition that looks a lot like it. This is not just a matter of a few persons or a party being possessed by demons. We’ve entered a realm that is populated by nothing but demons — of our own design, by the way.

Our politics have become so thoroughly demonic, that the sort of exorcism America needs now can only come from outside politics. It’s coming, too. It’s on its way. It will turn our economic situation upside down and inside out. It’s a Technicolor swan, and you can see it coming from a thousand miles out. Wait for it. Wait for it."

-James Howard Kunstler

brianlux said:
    unsung said:

I never expected she would.  For me, she was the best choice in a poor line-up.  I was lucky- Clinton had the California electoral college votes locked in, thus I felt free to "throw my vote away" as I've been accused of doing.  So yes, in a way it was a protest vote, but a calculated and very minor act of protest. 

Meanwhile, if the U.S. voting public doesn't get it's shit together in the next 3 1/2 years we are going to find all of this moot.  We will begin a descent into places we really don't want to go.  Ranting about old guys like Sanders, wasting time talking about impeaching Trump, hanging on to the premise that a corporate dem like Clinton would somehow makes everything fine and dandy, musing about a no-way-to-win in an election like Stein- all of that will be irrelevant.  We would do well to get our heads out of dark places and tackle the problems that are setting us on a dead end course: environmental degradation, overpopulation, corruption and greed, thoughtless and pointless division/bickering, and endless war, and move ahead by supporting candidates with similar concerns.
    I could drink to that.

I throw away a vote every single time I have voted.  I just couldn't look at myself in the mirror otherwise.
    unsung said:

Isn't Paul on infomercials now hawking reverse mortgages, gold, or apocalyptic home survival kits now? Swear to god I saw that on late at night once. 
    He has his version of a podcast that is on some cable TV, can't say I have seen it.  His message has always been consistent so it probably is nothing I haven't heard.
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:

I could drink to that.

I throw away a vote every single time I have voted.  I just couldn't look at myself in the mirror otherwise.
    So you know you have to eat the shit sandwich and you take the 10 pounder?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    unsung said:
    Hmm, lousy quote system.

I'm curious what Sander's-like policies have caused tuitions to rise?
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:

I could drink to that.

I think you are confused.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

He has his version of a podcast that is on some cable TV, can't say I have seen it.  His message has always been consistent so it probably is nothing I haven't heard.
    No. That's fine. I was really just asking an honest question and not a loaded comment. 
    I took it for that.  He is trying to keep his message going,  I'd assume he may have taken on sponsors.  As far as I know he elected not to get the Congressional pension, so maybe spreading his message is his income.
    edited June 2017
    unsung said:
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:

I could drink to that.

I think you are confused.
    You compare the selection of candidates to 5 and 10 lb sandwiches, and surmise that no shit sandwich is appealing.
    You admit that your vote is being thrown away.
    You know throwing your vote away will result in eating a larger shit sandwich, you do it anyways.
    You choose a bigger shit sandwich.

I'm confused, but only on how you can square that.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    If I vote my conscience I don't eat a shit sandwich.  If I voted for the two chosen, I would.
    People who vote 3rd party have a fundamental misunderstanding of how our 2 party system works.  3rd party always has been, and always will be the shit sandwich of any US election.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:
    People who vote 3rd party have a fundamental misunderstanding of how our 2 party system works.  3rd party always has been, and always will be the shit sandwich of any US election.
    As long as there is an electoral college, I disagree.  I voted for Stein not because I thought she had a chance in hell of getting elected but because I knew Clinton had the California delegates in the bag and I was able to vote third party with a clear conscience and make a little statement- only the ever so tiniest of statements to be sure, but a statement nonetheless. If enough others had done the same, the message would have rung clear:  some of us are sick and tired of the status quo... or worse.  Clinton is status quo (strong ties to corporations that make huge amounts of money without producing anything useful) and Trump is, well, we all know that one.

brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:
    As long as there is an electoral college, I disagree.  I voted for Stein not because I thought she had a chance in hell of getting elected but because I knew Clinton had the California delegates in the bag and I was able to vote third party with a clear conscience and make a little statement- only the ever so tiniest of statements to be sure, but a statement nonetheless. If enough others had done the same, the message would have rung clear:  some of us are sick and tired of the status quo... or worse.  Clinton is status quo (strong ties to corporations that make huge amounts of money without producing anything useful) and Trump is, well, we all know that one.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about.  No mention of the other 2 branches that are supposed to keep the Executive in check.  Now we are stuck with Gorsuch.  

When you vote 3rd party, the only statement that gets delivered is : " I don't understand how US government works ".
    You prove that statement yourself with the 2 branches keeping another in check.

I don't trust the Federal Government to keep the Federal Government in check.
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:
    This is exactly what I'm talking about.  No mention of the other 2 branches that are supposed to keep the Executive in check.  Now we are stuck with Gorsuch.  

When you vote 3rd party, the only statement that gets delivered is : " I don't understand how US government works ".
    Nice inflammatory statement there.  You don't know what I do or do not know about how government works.  Oh, and by the way, I've worked in government.  Federal government.

But carry on with your personal attacks.  Keep us divide.  Right-o!