Cork mat or acrylic platter, what say ye?

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
Cork slipmat or acrylic platter, any reason one over the other other than price?

Comments

• acrylic if you have the option, but if you need (I do as I use a vintage Pioneer TT that I love) a slipmat go BUCKSKIN all the way. they sound incredible, very low static or noise, and nobody knows about them so they are super affordable. cork is way overrated imo
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    Mine's rubber, and I like that very much. Keeps the record stuck solidly on the platter, and you can clean it with dish detergent in the sink
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited June 2017

damn you guys for getting me looking at mats again. :lol:

need to check the specs of my TT to see if it can take an acrylic platter.

this is my table: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Direct-Drive-Auto-Return-YP-D6-Turntable-w-Stanton-EEE-Cartridge/152560232026?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=41451&meid=8f34b98f45664e7583695e6a45dd3765&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=282395544852

what ya guys think? currently using the hybrid cork mat from bags unlimited(I think that's where I got it).

Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• I'm telling you for the money this is the one:

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Leather-Deer-Hide-Turntable/dp/B00JDWHDSS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497039875&sr=8-3&keywords=skin+slipmat

Yes you can spend more and acrylic is the best, but these sound awesome if you need a shipmate.
    thanks. looks really nice. do your records stick to it when you lift them off?

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Not usually, I have a super "static filled" house (maybe I drag my feet too much) and usually never sticks, when I have problems with that in the winter time if at all it only sticks when I'm dumb enough not to ground myself before touching the record and mat. Just touch the ground on your phono preamp and discharge all your electrons, that trick also helps keep dust and static cling off your records too:)
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Something to keep in mind when choosing a new platter or mat is the vertical tracking angle of your stylus. If you go with a thicker mat or just add one on top of your old one, you change the angle that the stylus contacts the groove. This may result in distortion, damage to the cantilever or damage to your records.

Some turntables have adjustments for VTA and some don't. Also, conical stylii should have fewer issues with this but often offer less fidelity than elliptical or Shibata stylii. 

Just some food for thought as you're deciding. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    I've experimented with cork, felt and neoprene on my turntable but ended up going back to the stock rubber mat every time. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Black felt here.  Why?  "Cause that's what the Pro-Ject came with.  Is there a good reason to change it?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited June 2017

This is the cork mat I use.
    Ordered a Pro-Ject Cork It cork mat to go with my Por-Ject Carbon Debut.  Looks like it should be a very good upgrade.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    brianlux said:
    Ordered a Pro-Ject Cork It cork mat to go with my Por-Ject Carbon Debut.  Looks like it should be a very good upgrade.
    I have the acryllic @brianlux and I notice a difference for the better.

brianlux said:
    I have the acryllic @brianlux and I notice a difference for the better.

Nice!  I'm sure the cork will be a step up at least.  I hope it makes a diff anyway!

Out of curiosity, what kind of differences are you noticing with different types of mats? 
    dudeman said:
    Out of curiosity, what kind of differences are you noticing with different types of mats? 
    Less "pop".
    Do you mean the popping and clicking you would hear from static or dust on a record? 
    dudeman said:
    Do you mean the popping and clicking you would hear from static or dust on a record? 
    Less static and noise, yes.
    dudeman said:
    I'm noticing that with my new cork slipmat as well.  And less dust clinging to the vinyl.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Cork didnt do much for me on my ProJect Carbon. Never invested in acrylic. 
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:
    I'm noticing that with my new cork slipmat as well.  And less dust clinging to the vinyl.
    With the acrylic dust is not a problem.
  • If it's static pops. Always ground yourself before handling and placing the record on the TT. Just place your finger on the "open part" of the ground cable on either end. It won't shock you and just discharges your extra static electrons you've accumulated then transferred to your record. It helps me immensely.
    This is good advice. I'm sure most people do it already but running a brush wetted with Discwasher solution (or something similar) over each side before playing really knocks down the snap, crackle and pop.
    dudeman said:
    This is good advice. I'm sure most people do it already but running a brush wetted with Discwasher solution (or something similar) over each side before playing really knocks down the snap, crackle and pop.
    I brush every record before I listen.  I don't do it wet though.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I've always looked at the cork slip mat as preventative maintenance. It keeps the static from building back up after you've cleaned and de-static-ified.

Id really recommend doing a good wet clean on your records. A brush is good for the stuff you can see, but doesn't really help long term sound quality. 
  • Can I get some recommendations 2 things for me:

1 - A good washing solution and brush to use. I already use a felt "brush" and that helps a lot but I can tell it's not getting as deep in the grooves as I would like.

2 - A descent way to do a deep clean on some pretty dirty records that have been sitting on my Dad's shelves for about 30-50 years. He's got some great 1st editions I'd really love to listen to, but not damage while trying to clean. I've seen mixed reviews on those plastic record washers on Amazon, but I figured some friends on here might give some goon advice.

Thanks much! Feel free to PM me, I can fix most things instrument and audio/electronics wise and would be happy to help this great community!
    Can I get some recommendations 2 things for me:

1 - A good washing solution and brush to use. I already use a felt "brush" and that helps a lot but I can tell it's not getting as deep in the grooves as I would like.

2 - A descent way to do a deep clean on some pretty dirty records that have been sitting on my Dad's shelves for about 30-50 years. He's got some great 1st editions I'd really love to listen to, but not damage while trying to clean. I've seen mixed reviews on those plastic record washers on Amazon, but I figured some friends on here might give some goon advice.

Thanks much! Feel free to PM me, I can fix most things instrument and audio/electronics wise and would be happy to help this great community!

I use the "yellow" Spin Clean system. works great. just make sure the brushes are in good shape.

I also have an extra one for the rinse cycle and then a have a vacuum attachment to dry the record.

pretty good little DIY system that costs half what you would pay for the all-in-one types

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Heavy rubber or cork
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
    lolobugg said:
    Can I get some recommendations 2 things for me:

I use the "yellow" Spin Clean system. works great. just make sure the brushes are in good shape.

I also have an extra one for the rinse cycle and then a have a vacuum attachment to dry the record.

pretty good little DIY system that costs half what you would pay for the all-in-one types

The Spin Clean system works great!  Hadn't thought about an extra for rinse cycle.  Good idea!

I bought extra drying cloths but they get damp fast so I set up a dish drying rack I found that doesn't touch the grooves and set it up with the records facing edge-wise toward a slow speed fan for complete drying.  I hand wash the clothes and avoid drying them with dryer sheets (they leave a was residue on the cloth- not good for records!) 

Good idea about keeping the brushes cleaned and in good shape.  Word of caution- if you decide to get an extra brush set, don't bother with the after-marked brushes.  They're only good for 200 gram LP's-- everything else just slides through to easily and don't clean well.

Not to get too far off subject here but what stylus cleaners do you like/ work best for you?