I just feel like starting a Jeff Buckley Thread

Comments

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    eddiec said:

There's a Glen Hansard boot where he talks about being on the road with Jeff. Apparently Jeff was a guitar tech for The Commitments when they went on tour.

Yes, there are also video interviews with Glen where he talks about it. It's an amazing story. He also talks about I think having gotten a post card or a voicemail from him very shortly before he died.
  • NanouNanou Posts: 191
    JH6056 said:

eddiec said:

There's a Glen Hansard boot where he talks about being on the road with Jeff. Apparently Jeff was a guitar tech for The Commitments when they went on tour.

Yes, there are also video interviews with Glen where he talks about it. It's an amazing story. He also talks about I think having gotten a post card or a voicemail from him very shortly before he died.
    It was a missed call 2 days before his death. They hadn't been in contact for the last two years. Glen wasn't home and his roommate told him that Jeff Buckley had called. The roommate was like "what?! You know Jeff Buckley?!". (It was in the documentary I saw.)
    edited May 2016
    Yes that sounds right! Is the documentary you saw online? Did you say it's "You and I", like was it made in connection with the album of demos his mom just released?

By the way there are a couple other docs out there, but they can be hard to find because his mom keeps a very tight rein on what is allowed to be out there. I want to say the one i liked best was called "Goodbye & Hello". Look for it, it was really revealing. Wish I had my hands on the dvr I had of it...
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    I saw the documentary on a Croatian TV channel, but I missed the first 5min. At the end I saw that the title was "Jeff Buckley - You and I (album)", and yes it is directly connected to the release of the demo album. I don't know if it can be found online though...

After watching the video you posted from Sin-è, I know I have to buy all the available live albums. I'm repeating myself, but you're very lucky to have seen him in such a tiny place.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll try and find "Goodbye & Hello". It feels really good to have fellow PJ and JB fans to talk to online!

And here is one of my favourite quotes describing him as a singer, by Antoine de Caunes presenting him to the audience on French television:
    "Quand les anges ont une voix, elle s'appelle Jeff Buckley."
    ("When angels have a voice, it's called Jeff Buckley.")
    I think it was in 1995 (?).
    edited May 2016
    Nanou in terms of live albums, the 2 I find vital and crucial are: Live at Sin-e Legacy Edition (because that's 2 full cd's, not just an EP), and Live at L'Olympia. I don't really like Mystery White Boy so much for a few reasons, but of course if it's hard to find the other 2, Mystery White Boy is still more amazing than most live albums out there.

And Jeff himself said to someone (maybe his mom?) that the Live at L'Olympia shows were possibly the best shows he ever did.

I only just discovered this video in the last few months. Listening to Jeff actually sing an entire Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan song, and read all these amazing quotes about his discovery of him... one of my favorite videos ever about anything. The song is from the Legacy Edition Live at Sin-e. He was so fucking talented... just stunning...

And oh wow, just watched it again, didn't realize that most of the quotes seem to come from an interview in '97, which is the year Jeff died... The transcendence he discusses just got even more meaningful to me now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysIK-cMhD-s
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • DesirePJDesirePJ Denmark Posts: 94
    I saw him in 95 at roskilde, he was amazing, only have the album Grace - but i have listen to it a lot over the years. Didn't knew who he was in 95, but my brother wanted to see him so i tagged along , and of course i loved Jeff from the first song <3
    Roskilde 1992
    Roskilde 2000
    JH6056 said:

Nanou in terms of live albums, the 2 I find vital and crucial are: Live at Sin-e Legacy Edition (because that's 2 full cd's, not just an EP), and Live at L'Olympia. I don't really like Mystery White Boy so much for a few reasons, but of course if it's hard to find the other 2, Mystery White Boy is still more amazing than most live albums out there.

And Jeff himself said to someone (maybe his mom?) that the Live at L'Olympia shows were possibly the best shows he ever did.

I only just discovered this video in the last few months. Listening to Jeff actually sing an entire Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan song, and read all these amazing quotes about his discovery of him... one of my favorite videos ever about anything. The song is from the Legacy Edition Live at Sin-e. He was so fucking talented... just stunning...

And oh wow, just watched it again, didn't realize that most of the quotes seem to come from an interview in '97, which is the year Jeff died... The transcendence he discusses just got even more meaningful to me now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysIK-cMhD-s

I agree: those 2 live albums are must-listen-to. The regret is even bigger for me since what Jeff qualified as one of his best shows was the one could have easily attended. :heartbreak:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there is a live at the Bataclan? Another one I could have seen... damn it!

I'll have a look at the video when I have 5min of calm at home. It looks amazing. Thanks!
    Nanou said:
    Looks like I missed it - what was it?

And yes Nanou, so much the harder that you might have gone to the L'Olympia shows... that's hard to know. Glad you're accessing so many wonderful films and videos and shows about him now though!
    JH6056 said:

Nanou said:
    Looks like I missed it - what was it?

And yes Nanou, so much the harder that you might have gone to the L'Olympia shows... that's hard to know. Glad you're accessing so many wonderful films and videos and shows about him now though!
    You can still participate. It's a painting which looks really ok. Good luck! :lucky:
    JH6056 thank you for this video, the cover is just unbelievable, even if it is Jeff Buckley we're talking about! I love it!
    And last night 19 years ago the world lost Jeff Buckley. So I was listening to his music tonight together with my kids and you know what? They love it too! They had their first moment of appreciation while listening to an acoustic version of So Real. I'm proud and happy and you know. I love it when they love some of my music. :heart:
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    The Sine set is essential listening if you like music, period. He seemed like a witty guy, besides being not of this earth talented.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Nanou said:

JH6056 thank you for this video, the cover is just unbelievable, even if it is Jeff Buckley we're talking about! I love it!
    And last night 19 years ago the world lost Jeff Buckley. So I was listening to his music tonight together with my kids and you know what? They love it too! They had their first moment of appreciation while listening to an acoustic version of So Real. I'm proud and happy and you know. I love it when they love some of my music. :heart:

Hi Nanou, only just seeing this - can't believe I missed the anniversary. Will have to find some time to dive DEEP into Jeff this weekend for a belated memorial. Glad you liked the video, and so cool that your kids love his music! I don't think I've played much Jeff for mine, but maybe that's one way I'll mark the memorial (playing it nonstop for my kid).

Happy Jeff immersion, to you and to 2 feign reluctance. :)
    Today would have been Jeff's 50th birthday. Happy birthday, Jeff! You can listen to the livestream of the 19th annual uncommon ground Jeff Buckley tribute show on his Facebook page. Enjoy, guys! :smile:
    Also scroll down for what sounds like a less-often seen live version of Hallelujah on this facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/25YearsofGrace/
    And this is SUPER COOL to listen to! Several snippets of super early Jeff, plus bonus of great Irish stories and Glen Hansard's recollections:

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2016/1104/829140-sin-e-jeff-buckleys-irish-odyssey/
    Thank you @JH6056 I already knew this Hallelujah version.
    And the podcast is wow! It made this early morning shift so easier. :smile:
    I'll listen to it again you know to improve my English. :wink:
    Enjoy Nanou! And keep an eye out, not sure all that will occur next year but there will be at least a few huge Jeff Buckley celebrations. Cheers!
    20 years ago today. :heartbreak: And now Chris Cornell... Sad month of May... Here is an interesting read. 

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/chris-cornells-red-phone-on-stage-in-his-solo-shows-belonged-to-jeff-buckley/news-story/cf01d97bb22a96a7fc1552c7e577003c

@JH6056 I think there's no celebration this year.
    Nanou said:
    20 years ago today. :heartbreak: And now Chris Cornell... Sad month of May... Here is an interesting read. 

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/chris-cornells-red-phone-on-stage-in-his-solo-shows-belonged-to-jeff-buckley/news-story/cf01d97bb22a96a7fc1552c7e577003c

@JH6056 I think there's no celebration this year.
    Hi Nanou, yes I've been surprised at how I've heard NOTHING about any gathering or tribute or anything...  Then again I've had a lot going on (dad in hospital for months) so I could have missed something.

I think his close friend and photographer Merri Cyr may have released a book, but last I looked it looked like it wasn't out yet.

Thanks for article, so interesting and yes, so sad given what has happened with Chris Cornell.  Wish there was more written on their connection to each other...
    I hope your father is doing better now.
    Wow, thank you so much for that Nanou!  And yes, happy 51st birthday I believe to you Jeff Buckley!
    Jeff's last publicly-known girlfriend Joan (a.k.a. Joan As Police Woman) posted this on her IG... what a great pic!

Lovely picture! :heart:
    Hello Jeff Buckley fans, I have some amazing news (sorry if it's posted elsewhere but I searched and didn't see it)!!!

1 of Jeff Buckley's 2 managers, Dave Lory, is putting out a book about his experiences with Jeff and who Jeff was, and there's an interview with him on WXPN's World Cafe show which has me THRILLED about the book for several reasons!

Check out the interview with Lory here on World Cafe:

https://www.npr.org/sections/world-cafe/2018/05/04/608476900/dave-lory-on-world-cafe-a-window-into-jeff-buckleys-tremendous-artistic-life

And check out the dates for his SPEAKING TOUR during which he'll do a section of as Question & Answer!  Dates near end of this:

TVD Radar: Jeff Buckley manager Dave Lory’s book in stores 5/29, summer/fall tour dates

BY TVD HQ | MARCH 27, 2018

VIA PRESS RELEASE | For the first time since Jeff Buckley’s tragic death on May 29, 1997, his manager Dave Lory finally talks about what it was like working with one of the most revered and critically celebrated artists in rock and roll history with the release of his book, Jeff Buckley From Hallelujah To The Last Goodbye (Post Hill Press/Simon and Schuster; May 29, 2018; written with Jim Irvin).

This summer and fall, Lory will travel to cities across North America and Europe with his open forum offering a behind the scenes look at the book and inside the manager/artist relationship titled: A Q&A With Dave Lory, Jeff Buckley’s Manager and Author, Jeff Buckley From Hallelujah To The Last Goodbye. Lory’s talk will cover the journey of Buckley’s rise to success from the release of his EP “Live at Sin-e,” his debut album Grace, and the subsequent three years including that tragic week when Jeff Buckley disappeared into the murky waters of the Mississippi river and Lory got the call… “Jeff is missing.”

The show will consist of three thirty minute segments that will include questions from the audience at the end of each and Lory will be on hand to sign copies of the book at each venue. “I am so excited to meet with Jeff Buckley’s fans worldwide and interact with them about what it was like working with this iconic artist,” Lory exclaims.

Summer and Fall Book Tour Dates:
    Friday, June 1st, Philadelphia, PA, Theater of Living Arts
    Sunday, June 3rd, New York, NY, The Loft at City Winery
    Monday, June 4th, Portland, OR, Aura
    Wednesday, June 6th, Boston, MA, Brighton Music Hall
    Sunday, June 10th, Washington, DC, The Black Cat
    Monday, June 18th, Montreal, Quebec, L’astral
    Thursday, June 28th, Chicago, IL, Park West Theater
    Sunday, July 22nd, Los Angeles, CA, The Roxy
    Saturday, September 15th, Flintshire, Wales, Good Life Festival
    Monday, September 17th, Dublin, Ireland, Olympia Theater 

More dates forthcoming worldwide!

This entry was posted in The TVD Storefront. Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

Exciting news! I hope more dates are forthcoming indeed because I can't afford to travel for a book. I've already got two PJ concerts this summer. :wink:
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Hoping for more dates as well, not going to travel for a book.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
    edited May 2018
    https://youtu.be/DFJpeXXbgNU

This is old news but I think this is sweet. Lily Cornell singing Lover, you should've come over. ❤ 
    Post edited by Nanou on
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Nanou said:
    https://youtu.be/DF7JpeXXbgNU

This is old news but I think this is sweet. Lily Cornell singing Lover, you should've come over. ❤ 
    That's great! Thanks for posting... even if it's old news ;) I've never seen Lily sing before, but I've seen her sister and wow they both inherited those pipes.