i think its time pj to do it..

2»

Comments

• kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    I vote no thanks
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    Ya no thanks. For me it's the vibe and fire.  The amount of preparation and lack of spontaneity required would make it...I don't know less than Pearl  Jam 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    You lost me at "rock opera". Strings on a few songs is one thing; something as pretentious and overwrought as a rock opera is something else entirely.
    Count me out
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    I think a one-off with the band backed by a chamber ensemble or string orchestra would be interesting. Then again, I'm a parent of a classical musician and a long-time fan of The Church, who did a concert in Sydney backed by orchestra, and it was pretty awesome. The Church is much more of a prog-rock group, but, still, I think it would be a cool experiment/ experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rsHbPF8HKs

I also LOVE the Vitamin String Quartet's arrangement of "Betterman."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtWa1lrrCVI

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    edited June 2017
    i rest my case

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Terrible idea..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,809
    I prefer a real rock album.  Maybe Yield 2 and another SVT type DVD.  :bring_it:
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    No. Play some rock n' roll shows, preferably at the Gorge or Red Rocks.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I think a one-off with the band backed by a chamber ensemble or string orchestra would be interesting. Then again, I'm a parent of a classical musician and a long-time fan of The Church, who did a concert in Sydney backed by orchestra, and it was pretty awesome. The Church is much more of a prog-rock group, but, still, I think it would be a cool experiment/ experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rsHbPF8HKs

I also LOVE the Vitamin String Quartet's arrangement of "Betterman."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtWa1lrrCVI

A one off is exactly what I had in mind.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • I support dimitrispearljam in all endeavors 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I support dimitrispearljam in all endeavors 
    Is that what this thread is about? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    well didn't they kind of do it during the Backspacer tour in '09?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8z9J9hDNUQ

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    If they did this I would start to believe that their bucket of ideas was just about empty.  I really hope they keep the novelty stuff to a minimum and try to be an active rock band... as much as you can be after 25 years at least.  They need an new album and new music.  Save the nostalgia and other gimmicks for PJ50.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    This is what happens when you try to mix rock and roll with classical music.  Now don't get me wrong, I think Kronos Quarter is marvelous and they're great musicians when doing classical but this?  No thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dE65iTuG4Y

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    If the band is going to swerve that far out of their lane than maybe they can get this guy to open...

https://youtu.be/V_h7Lm7C9Nk
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Chris519Chris519 Posts: 150
    I've always felt the Symphony thing is reserved for bands who are feeling like they aren't relevant anymore, like Metallica during that period of their career. I agree with those above who put this in the realm of shark jumping.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    /\/\/\ I never took Metallica doing that as meaning they weren't relevant anymore. They had artistically changed dramatically and it was just another way to demonstrate their skills. I thought it was awesome.

For PJ as a one off, fully recorded in Hi-Def, I think this would be awesome. As a whole tour or new album of music, hell no. This could be a benefit concert where they play selected album songs that fit best and maybe sample a few covers.

I'm all for new ways to hear some of their old songs. I mean really, what's the real difference in listening to a boot with Alive from 2006 compared to 2016 besides a slight Ed voice register change and the mixing?

It's a hopeless situation...
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I think that a couple of shows like this would be great. The more mellow and mid tempo songs have some amazing melodies and open air in them that could really benefit from a strong section. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    the metallica one was cool, however the band and the symphony's music didn't mesh well at all. it sounded very disjointed in a lot of parts. and that was michael kamen. 

i'd prefer a lost dogs tour or an all acoustic affair. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    I'd love a concept album/rock opera and a subsequent tour setup to support it  I hope to see them come out of their comfort zone a little in the near future.  Pushing the limits of what Pearl Jam sounds like is what made me fall in love with the band.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Chris519 said:
    I've always felt the Symphony thing is reserved for bands who are feeling like they aren't relevant anymore, like Metallica during that period of their career. I agree with those above who put this in the realm of shark jumping.

It's also an interesting endeavor for bands who just don't give a damn about what other people think. ;-) I referenced The Church up-thread. Their Psychedelic Symphony was followed by a very strong, very guitar-laden, studio album, Further/Deeper.  They're not out of ideas, they just DGAF about popular opinion.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.