Jonas Pap-Cello

Intro Music: Tuolumne
01. Sometimes
02. Trouble-(Stevens)
03. Brain Damage-(Waters)
04. Wishlist
05. Can’t Keep
06. Sleeping By Myself
(Ed spots a little girl far back in the crowd wearing ear protectors.  He uses a sling shot to launch a small packet of picks to her.  They don’t make it but the audience passes them back to her.)

07. Without You
(Ed addresses the audience in German)

The Red Limo String Quartet enters the stage
08. Satellite w/ quartet
09. It Happened Today-(Buck, Mills, Stipe) w/ quartet  {First Time Played by Ed live}
Quartet exits the stage

10. The Needle and The Damage Done-(Young)
11. Far Behind
12. Off He Goes
13. Guaranteed
14. Setting Forth
15. Rise
16. Immortality
17. Unthought Known
18. Masters Of War-(Dylan)
19. Porch

Encore Break One
Quartet enters stage
(Ed notes that this is the encore break where he normally rests his throat.  He decides to have the quartet play an arrangement they had worked up when they learned they were going to be playing at Ed’s show.  “This is like being around a campfire so they are gonna play the song and I am gonna maybe throw out some picks or something.”  Red Limo plays “Alive” and the audience sings along.  Ed throws picks and goes into the audience encouraging  and directing the audience singing)

20. Alive-(string quartet and audience only)
21. “Heroes”-(Bowie, Eno) w/ strings {Partial}
22. Just Breathe w/ strings
(Ed talks about Sub Pop records.  The label that put out albums by some of his favorite bands like Sleater-Kinney, Green River, and Nirvana as well as his brothers in Soundgarden.  Jonathan Poneman is said to be in the audience so Ed gives he and Bruce Pavitt a shout out.  He notes that if it weren’t for Sub Pop there would be no Mudhoney and with no Mudhoney there would be no Matt Lukin)
23. Lukin-w/ strings
24. Come Back-w/ strings
Quartet exits the stage

25. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away-(Lennon, McCartney)
26. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
27. Song Of Good Hope-(Hansard) Ed sings main vocal, Glen plays guitar and sings harmony
Quartet enters stage

28. Falling Slowly-(Hansard, Irglová) w/ strings  {Glen sings lead and plays guitar.  Ed sings harmony except for the bridge where he sings the lead}
29. Society-(Hannan) no singing just abridged instrumental to get to the jam at the end
30. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young) w/ Glen Hansard
31. Hard Sun-(Peterson) w/ Glen and Red Limo String Quartet (singing only)

Glen Hansard on stage at 7:03
Glen Hansard Set List
01. High Hope
02. Revalate
03. When Your Mind’s Made Up
04. Bird Of Sorrow
05. Her Mercy
06. Vigilante Man-(Guthrie)
07. Way Back When

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.
Thank you!

Thanks John for the set list & notes.
Tagged:

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,141
    amazing!!!
    thanks Sea!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    We were treated to something very special tonight -- watching how the power of music can lift people up. When Eddie sang "Dear God where were you" during Sometimes, you could hear a pin drop -- it really choked me up. And Off He Goes was heartbreaking. But at the end of that song, when Eddie looked at the audience giving him a standing ovation, you could see how truly touched he was by the response. I think he was choked up looking at the crowd. During the show he clearly started enjoying himself - including what I think was a genuine spontaneous moment going into the crowd during the Alive singalong. Masters of War was powerful, and full of emotion - a definite highlight for me.  
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • Electro_UKElectro_UK Posts: 119
    Man I don't think anyone here ever thought they'd be surprised to see Alive on a setlist  =)
    "Hey Eddie, great show-- fuck you!"
    PJ - London 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12 + 21/6/12, Isle of Wight 23/6/12, Seattle 6/12/13, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Boston 5/8/16 + 7/8/16
    Ed - London 31/7/12, Amsterdam 27/5/17 + 30/5/17, London 6/6/17 + 7/6/17
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,731
    Damn good setlist. He is on fire! 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,140
    Band played It Happened Today in Canada back in 11' when REM retired. Ed solo? First
    time of course! Awesome!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PJKnopfPJKnopf Posts: 51
    Nice setlist!
    Had hoped for Alive at Amsterdam #3 and when he didn't play it I was sure it would be played in Berlin ;-)
    It just fits in.

Rock im Park 2000 - Arnhem 2006 - Duesseldorf 2007 - Rotterdam 2009 - Amsterdam 2012 - Amsterdam 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Amsterdam 2017 (EV Solo) - Amsterdam 2018 - Berlin 2018 - Amsterdam 2019 (EV Solo) - Duesseldorf 2019 (EV Solo) - Berlin 2022 - Frankfurt 2022 - Amsterdam 2022
  • mckawenmckawen Posts: 1
    I loved singing aloud Alive with the string quartet...pity the performance was interrupted abruptly at the moment of the solo, for a technical fault I suppose... Towards the end of the show Eddie gave his Ukulele (he defined it earlier "Wolkswagen" compared to the "Cadillac" standard size guitar) to a little girl saying we give him so much that he wants to give us something back... Emotional and sometimes powerful show; thanks Eddie!
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,877
    loved it from the beginning to the end. Eds voice sounded amazing! The Zitadelle, a 16th century fortress was truly a perfect location and the sun was shining the whole day!

highlights:
    it happened today
    off he goes
    immortality
    come back
    alive
    song of good hope
    satellite

was hoping for Long Nights which he played in London 2012

Now its time for a Pearl Jam Tour..
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,888
    Rise > Immortality > Unthought > Masters > Porch... great way to finish the set. Great set all round! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,463
    looks like this would have been a show I wanted to be at. Amazing!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    Wow!!!! 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    edited June 2017
    Amazing show. I REALLY enjoyed hearing Can't Keep again (which Pearl Jam and too many fans are sleeping on) and Masters of War is so perfect for Eddie to sing/play it's crazy. So good. Immortality was amazing. Best Off he Goes I've experienced. Glen and Eddie together are really good – Falling slowly was great. Would love to hear a studio version of it with them. 

The show felt a bit tense in the beginning. Eddie came out and had like a dark cloud over him. The first songs just had a concentrated, dark mood over them that I didn't experience during the 2012 shows. There's definitely noticeable sadness over Eddie.

Songwise I have nothing to complain about or anything I would have wanted instead. It was just a great experience. 

The whole crowd singing Alive with the string quartette was really special moment of course. 

And, what's most important – My mom loved the show (both Eddie and Glens sets).

EDIT: Fuck, I felt overly hyperbolic here. have to dial it back. Balance it. Hmm. Something lacks in Eddies Needle and the damage done-cover that stops it from reaching Neils golden level. Always weird when a PJ/EV cover doesn't reach or surpass the original. Something about how Eddie sings it. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cocheese77cocheese77 Manchester UK Posts: 29
    edited June 2017
    My wife and I have been fortunate enough to travel to many PJ and Eddie Solo shows over the years.

This show was extra special. Top venue, top weather, top crowd, top seats (row 3) top set list, top night!

We loved every minute.

Post edited by cocheese77 on
    www.stickittoms.com

Birmingham 2009 582 Drummers
    Manchester 2012 798 Drummers!!

Raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis Society