Options

Benaroya - Live or Vinyl?

mcatakemcatake Posts: 101
edited April 2017 in The Porch
Would you be more inclined to pay $1000 to own the vinyl (sealed) or $1000 to attend the show (row 10 Mike's side) with no chance to own the vinyl?

Benaroya - Live or Vinyl? 65 votes

Gimme Vinyl
4%
pjpitt89javis el erranteRoleModelsinBlood31 3 votes
Gimme Live
52%
jdopj100 Pacerwhoyouare72Washedbootlegger10Force Of Naturedr. Mowinckelmookieblalockdannynuzzer1JP33PA JammerDewieCoxscrappysatticradarBackspacer 76CJ23113mcatakeRP112579TH113769 34 votes
No way I'm spending $1000 on either
43%
OceansJennyfall by the waysidemcgruff10Terje131leep75ski-bumdrummerboy_73anakin_pdxbigjilmgoldrushNamiJammalamboIndifference71Tim SimmonsWhaleyjoberschlakeBF89905dogmattYardenPap 28 votes

Comments

• Options
    leep75leep75 Posts: 265
    I voted neither, but to be fair, I have the vinyl and I purchased it direct from the source

leep
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    Gimme Live
    leep75 said:

I voted neither, but to be fair, I have the vinyl and I purchased it direct from the source

From the factory?????

:)
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    ..because I already own the vinyl (sealed)
    ..and because, if I had to pay $1000, I would choose another show (not that I don't like Benaroya 03), like Spectrum 09, Mansfield 03 3rd night, or some very early show.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    Paid $45 or whatever original cost was for the vinyl and $250 for the live show, Mike's side.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Gimme Live
    Gimme live, because if I can do this I'd have a time machine, so why not go back and see it? I could then make a whole bunch of other financial choices that would pay off far more than $1000 back in the present. And I'll always go for live music.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    Gimme Vinyl
    Vinyl, because if I saw this live I would have been too fucked up to remember most of it. In 2003 I was 23, and liked to do bad things. I can listen to the show any time I want to now, on red wine colored wax to boot.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737

Gimme live, because if I can do this I'd have a time machine, so why not go back and see it? I could then make a whole bunch of other financial choices that would pay off far more than $1000 back in the present. And I'll always go for live music.

Hahaha. You win. This is the correct answer.
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,172
    Would pay $1000 to be at one of the early years high energy shows but not Benaroya. I feel like it can get a similar experience with the boot, a glass of wine, and some introspect :wink:
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,093
    Neither. I bought the album at cost from the 10c website, and I won the lotto to buy Benaroya tickets at the most expensive price level (a few hundred bucks) and didn't go :( I do regret that but I was fairly broke at the time. Was trying to get the cheap tix.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    Gimme Live
    i have the vinyl but being there would have been awesome
    danny d
  • Options
    ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010

..because I already own the vinyl (sealed)
    ..and because, if I had to pay $1000, I would choose another show (not that I don't like Benaroya 03), like Spectrum 09, Mansfield 03 3rd night, or some very early show.

Love to see Mansfield 03, 3rd night on vinyl.
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    Gimme Vinyl
    Yeah being at Randall's in 96 and a few other 90's dates is better than any of the shows I've seen since :(. Give me vinyl of 96 tho and I'm like those here who have both benny and benny vinyl
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    WashedWashed Posts: 736
    edited April 2017
    Gimme Live
    I was at Benaroya for the show and own the vinyl and can say this is a no brainer. The merch, memorabilia, vinyl and stuff that we like to collect this band is mind-blowingly good but nothing touches Pearl Jam live in any setting. To see them in Benaroya was such an emotional experience from start to finish.
    Post edited by Washed on
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,503
    Gimme Live

Paid $45 or whatever original cost was for the vinyl and $250 for the live show, Mike's side.

I paid $300 for a 2nd row balcony dead centre ticket. This was off ebay and I remember sending the money order to the seller who worked at a bank in Seattle...except the UPS driver dropped it at the wrong bank branch. It was a mess...had to chase down the driver via UPS dispatch. Received the ticket in time and flew out only to arrive at the venue morning of and see a crowd of ~15 people waiting for a ticket drop. If I remember correctly they released ~50 tickets after the show had already started so those folks missed a song or three. Anyway, it was the most I had ever spent on a ticket on the secondary market to see this band (and the only time I had to) but the experience was totally worth it.

As for the vinyl, I remember how nonchalant the old message board was about it during the drop. Mind you there was a technical glitch and all but I believe it was up for an entire day? I think it went up in the middle of the night and the site crashed during the morning hours but I purchased mine ~4pm that afternoon about 30 minutes before it sold out. No one really saw the mass appeal of this thing back then.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,070
    Gimme Live
    I'm looking for an open copy and I have a huge trade list in this thread or I can pay cash thank you for looking

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/260875/i-need-an-open-benny-and-or-items-for-trade-added-4-21#latest
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,093
    100 Pacer said:

I paid $300 for a 2nd row balcony dead centre ticket. This was off ebay and I remember sending the money order to the seller who worked at a bank in Seattle...except the UPS driver dropped it at the wrong bank branch. It was a mess...had to chase down the driver via UPS dispatch. Received the ticket in time and flew out only to arrive at the venue morning of and see a crowd of ~15 people waiting for a ticket drop. If I remember correctly they released ~50 tickets after the show had already started so those folks missed a song or three. Anyway, it was the most I had ever spent on a ticket on the secondary market to see this band (and the only time I had to) but the experience was totally worth it.

As for the vinyl, I remember how nonchalant the old message board was about it during the drop. Mind you there was a technical glitch and all but I believe it was up for an entire day? I think it went up in the middle of the night and the site crashed during the morning hours but I purchased mine ~4pm that afternoon about 30 minutes before it sold out. No one really saw the mass appeal of this thing back then.
    Yah I think it went up one day, and the website had issues. I was a broke university student so I went to bed not buying it. I mulled it most of the next day and put in an order in the evening. I tend to think it must of been on sale for 24 to 48 hours before selling out. I think I caved and put in my order within hours of it selling out. Unlike my poor decision when 10c gave me the option to buy the most expensive tickets to the show, at least I got the vinyl :) It's a decent consolation price.

I felt a bit better at Gorge '05 when I got an acoustic set. It made up a bit for not going to Benaroya :(
  • Options
    anakin_pdxanakin_pdx Posts: 387
    I'm in the same boat with a few others. I was at the show ($175 to a scalper on eBay for a box seat on Stone's side), and I got the vinyl from the site back in the day. That night was a special and amazing night. Not a typical high energy show, but that's part of what made it so special. The intimacy (even though I was the farthest away for any show I've ever attended). New songs never heard before (Man of the Hour & Fatal) and other rarities. When Black started I initially was a little disappointed thinking "oh here's Black again", but when the crowd (and me) sang it just filled up the room and I got actual goosebumps (still do sometimes when listening to the vinyl just remembering it). Heck, I'd go so far as to trade my Vinyl to go back and relive it in person again.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    100 Pacer said:

I lied and told anyone who asked that i scored the ticket in the general on sale because i was to embarrassed to admit i shelled out 250 bucks for a ticket that was originally 40.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg