Tommy

nigelnigel Posts: 267
edited March 2017 in Other Music
I saw The Who play Tommy in full for the first time for (I think) nearly 30 years last night - at The Royal Albert Hall in London in aid of the Teenage Cancer Trust.
The whole show - but the Tommy segment in particular - was absolutely sensational despite Pete saying they sounded like "fucking shit" :) What a band and what an amazing timeless classic of an album.

They are touring the Tommy show - with Stateside and UK dates booked - if you get the chance (even if you are only vaguely a Who fan) then go!

As it was the 100th Teenage Cancer Trust show - we also got a surprise acoustic set from Noel Gallagher as support. All in all a fantastic evening.
Post edited by nigel on

Comments

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I saw them do Tommy at Radio City and Universal Amphitheater in 1989 when they were obviously much younger and in much better shape. It was awesome and a lot of fun.
    Not so sure I'd want to see them do it now.
  • nigelnigel Posts: 267
    I was very pleasantly surprised by how awesome they sounded on the night. Roger hit most of the notes - Pete's lead was awesome. I think having guys of the calibre of Zak Starkey and Simon Townshend playing with them also helps a lot.
    This is pretty much it for The Who playing live - doubt they will tour again after this - its certainly the last chance to ever hear Tommy live. On that basis alone it was a very special.

I saw them do Tommy at Radio City and Universal Amphitheater in 1989 when they were obviously much younger and in much better shape. It was awesome and a lot of fun.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596

Kind of my feeling too. It just wouldn't be the same band. No Keith Moon. :-(
    (I saw them in 1968 around the time of Who Sell Out).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dadesdades Posts: 321
    Saw them last night in Glasgow for the fourth time, first being 1983 in Birmingham. They may be older but played for around 2hrs 20mins without a break. Not bad for a couple of 70+ year olds. Townsend especially. They may be missing Moon and tho Ox but what a show they put on. Was hoping for 5:15, and after Won't Get Fooled Again,normally the last song, Townsend said that they don't normally play an encore but they will do one more and then they played 5:15
    Glasgow Cathouse 1992
    Glasgow S.E.C.C. 2000
    Shepherds Bush 2009 - M.E.N 2009 - London O2 2009
    Boston 2010 - Newark 2010 - MSG1+2 2010 - Dublin 2010 - Belfast 2010
    London 2010
    Manchester 1+2 2012 EV Manchester 2012 EV London 31/7/2012
    Philly 1+2 2013 - Hartford 2013
    Berlin 2014 Leeds 2014
    Fenway 2 2016
    EV London 1+2 2017
    London 1+2 - Berlin 2018