Nothing as it seems

Only 13 times since 2006? Hard to believe, really. Sure would love to see this one live some day. One of the greats in my opinion.

Comments

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Twice in Memphis 2000 and 2014
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,626
    One of my favourite songs too. Lucky to hear it three times in my first six shows starting in 2013. Crazy how stats like that happen sometimes.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    worst single for an album ever.
    I realize mike does some sick shit during this song but mike does a lot of sick shit during many songs. pretty boring song imo.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    MedozK said:

Twice in Memphis 2000 and 2014

I was at the 2014 show and completely forgot that they played it.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mcgruff10 said:

I realize mike does some sick shit during this song but mike does a lot of sick shit during many songs. pretty boring song imo.

:o
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    mcgruff10 said:

The first six words of your post are wrong on so many levels
  • MedozK said:

mcgruff10 said:

:o
    I have to agree on this.
    NAIS was great back in the heyday.
    Now not so much.
    It is too junkie.
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    I love this song. Love. For real.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    Finally heard it first time fenway 2. 3rd song. What? Lost it
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    mcgruff10 said:

You need to sit in the time out corner and think about what you just said young man! :)

I love NAIS, and I thought it was a great single because it's such an unexpected choice. It opened the only show they've ever played in Wales (Cardiff 2000) so that will always be a special moment for me.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)

mcgruff10 said:

I m almost positive the band has admitted in interviews that this was a bad choice as a first single.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    Great song and I love it live, but not a radio friendly single.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I m almost positive the band has admitted in interviews that this was a bad choice as a first single.
    You are correct. They definitely did state that. I think it was Jeff who said that. I'm probably the biggest defender of NAIS on here since day one, but this was a bad LEAD single for the record. Maybe Light Years or Breakerfall should be first and second and then follow those up with the slow jam.

I'm not sure though if it tops Who You Are in regards to a surprising single though. That one came out of left field.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

You are correct. They definitely did state that. I think it was Jeff who said that. I'm probably the biggest defender of NAIS on here since day one, but this was a bad LEAD single for the record. Maybe Light Years or Breakerfall should be first and second and then follow those up with the slow jam.

I'm not sure though if it tops Who You Are in regards to a surprising single though. That one came out of left field.
    But...decisions like that are why many of us love this band so much. Most other bands don't release "Who You Are" at the height of their popularity.

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

yeah who you are was another head scratcher.
  • mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

But...decisions like that are why many of us love this band so much. Most other bands don't release "Who You Are" at the height of their popularity.
    I agree 110%. Releasing Who You Are and NAIS as lead singles are awesome to me. A great f you. I was looking at them from a marketing point of view and, if this were a typical band trying to sell albums, these two songs would be terrible choices as lead singles. I should have clarified that.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    M A S T E R P I E C E
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    mcgruff10 said:

STOP THE DRUGS
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I agree 110%. Releasing Who You Are and NAIS as lead singles are awesome to me. A great f you. I was looking at them from a marketing point of view and, if this were a typical band trying to sell albums, these two songs would be terrible choices as lead singles. I should have clarified that.
    Oh yeah. Completely agree.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Love the song as a whole, but as with some Radiohead (or even NIN) pieces, very dark and sometimes simply too heavy - to the point where it's needed / appreciated only at specific junctures in my life where it's a release vs. an exacerbation.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

If I'm not mistaken I think the thing to remember was the band had just hit their 1st Billboard #1 mark with Last Kiss the year prior and were probably (at the time) looking to test any newly established fans with the release of NAIS as the 1st single and/or looking to warn any newly established fans not to expect Last Kiss-esque material off Binaural and NAIS with the litmus test.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    Who cares what the band said?
    Pearl Jam can't recognize a good Pearl Jam song for shit.
    They should write songs, let the fans hear them first, and then let the fans decide which song to be included on the studio album, and which song to be left as a holiday single or Lost Dogs kind of release. Or never to be touched again (cough.. Sirens.. cough)
    Right?
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    Love the song as a whole, but as with some Radiohead (or even NIN) pieces, very dark and sometimes simply too heavy - to the point where it's needed / appreciated only at specific junctures in my life where it's a release vs. an exacerbation.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up Binaural. Gotta love it!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

They should write songs, let the fans hear them first, and then let the fans decide which song to be included on the studio album, and which song to be left as a holiday single or Lost Dogs kind of release. Or never to be touched again (cough.. Sirens.. cough)
    Right?

I can't tell if this is sarcasm (I hope so!) but if not...it's not our art, it's theirs - theirs to do with what they want, how they want.

I'd feel like an utterly pompous dick if I imposed my idea of how someone else's music or any other creation should be used, presented, released.

Me, just one of many lucky recipients of such musical beauty.
  • Who cares what the band said?
    Right?

Nope. Not right.

Right?

yeah no.
  • mcgruff10 said:

Right?

yeah no.
    My head hurts :lol:
    Part of me agrees with Jammalambo otherwise we may be subjected to another sweet lew on an upcoming album instead of a real song.
    On the other hand I agree mcgruff, yeah no.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    edited February 2017
    100 Pacer said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

If I'm not mistaken I think the thing to remember was the band had just hit their 1st Billboard #1 mark with Last Kiss the year prior and were probably (at the time) looking to test any newly established fans with the release of NAIS as the 1st single and/or looking to warn any newly established fans not to expect Last Kiss-esque material off Binaural and NAIS with the litmus test.
    #2. It couldn't get past JLo's "If You had my love"
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    Yes, I was sarcastic.. for the most part.
    It wouldnt work, anyway.. take me and mcgruff.. we have opposite views of what a good PJ song is.. nais, sleight of hand, cropduster.. amazing songs for me, boring songs for him and many others.
    Anyway, radio friendly means good lead single? Just breathe is the best single they ever released, then.
    I remember the first time I heard nais on the radio, I was in heaven. Give me that anyday instead of things like sirens or the fixer