Why is there no album for PJ's Unplugged performance?

WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
edited December 2013 in The Porch
I know this topic has probably already been discussed and that some people may not like the idea of it, but I'd really love to know why an official album from Pearl Jam's MTV Unplugged performance was never released?

I've got the Ten Reissue with the DVD of the performance, so I'm grateful for having that.

I'm just kind of confused why there isn't one. Anyone know?
446927_artist.jpg?0119
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,342
    I would still prefer the Benny Hall show on vinyl over this, but yeah, it would be super cool to have an acoustic PJ show on vinyl 8-)

I don't know why it would not be released. Maybe there are copyright issues? But AIC and Nirvana are readily available too :think:
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    My guess is that it was too short of a show. That's the only reason I can think of. I love it though. I do think it would have been cool if they had waited until Vitalogy to make the unplugged or they had played a few off VS.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • The timing of the appearance in Unplugged was explained in PJ20. I don't know why there was no CD, but the length of the show would make it perfect for vinyl. You can find the performance on the CD "Vs the World."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    if happens,this will be the best thing this band ever released
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Pearl Jam should perform on MTV Unplugged again! :corn:
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    The timing of the appearance in Unplugged was explained in PJ20. I don't know why there was no CD, but the length of the show would make it perfect for vinyl. You can find the performance on the CD "Vs the World."

One of my desert island bootleg cd's back in 1993-1994. Also had Angel live from Bridge 1993, Let Me Sleep, Hard to Imagine, Sonic Reducer, Whipping, Masters of War from Dylan tribute, Fuckin Up, live Footseps...definitely a favorite. Still have my copy. You can buy them on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Jam-Versus- ... B006KK8NL2

Black from MTV Unplugged is on the PJ20 Soundtrack vinyl. :-)
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited December 2013
    if happens,this will be the best thing this band ever released
    No, because it would be censored and overdubbed like the DVD.

And they would probably replace Dave A's drumming with Matt C's.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • WhyGo91 wrote:
    I know this topic has probably already been discussed and that some people may not like the idea of it, but I'd really love to know why an official album from Pearl Jam's MTV Unplugged performance was never released?

I've got the Ten Reissue with the DVD of the performance, so I'm grateful for having that.

You mean like how MTV officially released some of the other unplugged performances? They actually only released a small percentage of the performances that happened as official albums, so for whatever reason PJ's fell into the unreleased category. Lots of big artists weren't released though.

Have a look here to see what got released and what didn't:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ar ... ugged#1989
  • pjradio wrote:
    I actually looked this up once, and emailed a swedish pressing plant. Had an idea of pressing up like 300 of the Unplugged show on vinyl and sell them to fans for the cost. Even designed a cover for it (which was the thing I actually enjoyed).

But there doesn't seem to be a great audio source for the uncut show (not counting the butchered DVD release),
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    Weren't they pretty unhappy with the recording? I remember that the band didn't even want the show to be aired. I think MTV would have LOVED to release it in as many formats as possible. I could be wrong... Sure someone knows.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I think it's pretty short compared to the other that got an official release.

There are a couple really good songs on here, but I don't think PJ translates to acoustic as well as some of the other performers. AIC has the vocal harmonies and more layered guitar parts and Nirvana, Unledded and Clapton have quite a few reworks to fit the unplugged theme better.

I know the PJ unplugged was a bit rushed, but even when they've planned it they have done virtually nothing to make their tunes distinguishable from the originals.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    I think it's pretty short compared to the other that got an official release.

There are a couple really good songs on here, but I don't think PJ translates to acoustic as well as some of the other performers. AIC has the vocal harmonies and more layered guitar parts and Nirvana, Unledded and Clapton have quite a few reworks to fit the unplugged theme better.
    And Neil Youngs set was just moody magic.

I think pearl Jam did it too soon in their career with the tracks they had under their belt and the band they were. they only had one record out then, Nirvana and AiC had more and were at a place where they dared to do more with it.

Pearl Jam pretty much played a hard rock set on acoustic guitars.

Pearl Jam should have done it in 1996-2000 or something (don't know how long that show ran).
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    thinking about this today
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    pjradio said:
    jesus, that's expensive!

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• christopherfischer24@gmail.comchristopherfischer24@gmail.com Baltimore, Maryland Posts: 1
    WhyGo91 said:

• Because it's not a very good set? (hides for cover)

They got it right in 2003 with the experiment, Santa Barbara and then Benaroya. Like others said, it was too soon for them. I enjoy it for what it is, but even waiting just one year would have been such a different set.
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557

Because it's not a very good set? (hides for cover)

They got it right in 2003 with the experiment, Santa Barbara and then Benaroya. Like others said, it was too soon for them. I enjoy it for what it is, but even waiting just one year would have been such a different set.

Absolutely.
    The rise to fame was too fast to pause and construct a decent acoustic show with minimal material.

good thing you ducked. I just threw a virtual rock at your head.

I see what you are saying, but I love that recording. Probably because I a) love Pearl Jam and b) am a sucker for the unplugged format.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    rtwilli4 said:

Weren't they pretty unhappy with the recording? I remember that the band didn't even want the show to be aired. I think MTV would have LOVED to release it in as many formats as possible. I could be wrong... Sure someone knows.

Isn't there an article from way back where Eddie talks about MTV being the ones unhappy with either their behavior or language or something, and holding it 'hostage' so to speak.
    I remember there was a pirated download that was completely uncut with the running time count along the bottom that sort of revealed all the in between banter, shenanigans, etc.
    Maybe that's why? I don't know.
  • Because it's not a very good set? (hides for cover)

I see what you are saying, but I love that recording. Probably because I a) love Pearl Jam and b) am a sucker for the unplugged format.
    Hey man, I fit that criteria as well. My problem is that it was just fast songs on acoustic instruments. It didn't translate well. Most unplugged shows had rearranged arrangements of songs or something got changed up. We didn't get that. If it had just waited another year it could have been a classic one.
  • pjradio said:
    jesus, that's expensive!

A benny on ebay... that's expensive!!!$
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,946
    I've always felt that it was because it was too short. The Nirvana and AIC sets are fairly long and pretty much fill up an entire cd. PJ's set on TV had 6 songs, and 2 that weren't aired. It is a shame the official dvd doesn't have RiTfW. It was pretty cool they added oceans to it, but you still have to watch the bootleg to see the whole thing :( If I want to listen to it, I have the FLAC from the dvd, and just stuck a FLAC in of RitFW to the end of it. I make do :)
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    might be a short setlist. but still a great performance. underrated in terms of airings it geta. 8 songs is enough for a cd especially if you add some of the in between moments
    I miss igotid88
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,946
    edited February 2017
    I don't disagree. In fact I think it would be the perfect size for a Record Store Day Vinyl :)
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Zod said:

I don't disagree. In fact I think it would be the perfect size for a Record Store Day Vinyl :)

That would be awesome. Hell, any type of PJ RSD release would be great.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447

Hey man, I fit that criteria as well. My problem is that it was just fast songs on acoustic instruments. It didn't translate well. Most unplugged shows had rearranged arrangements of songs or something got changed up. We didn't get that. If it had just waited another year it could have been a classic one.
    I disagree as I like the fact that that they just traded their electric guitars for acoustic and then wailed away on those bastards!!!!
    The music notes are smoothed out and you can hear the individual guitar parts way more clearly and concisely. Add to that Ed's raw emotional singing and acrobatics and you got a keeper baby!
    TJ25487 said:

I disagree as I like the fact that that they just traded their electric guitars for acoustic and then wailed away on those bastards!!!!
    The music notes are smoothed out and you can hear the individual guitar parts way more clearly and concisely. Add to that Ed's raw emotional singing and acrobatics and you got a keeper baby!
    This might be why they chose a dvd release over an audio release. I think some have made the point that it isnt the strongest set on its own, but combine it withthe visual performance, it becomes way more digestible.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465

They'd been perfecting the unplugged format at all the Bridge School Benefit performances over the years.
  • Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900

They'd been perfecting the unplugged format at all the Bridge School Benefit performances over the years.
    A Bridge School compilation would be sweeeeeeet :)