Next album is going to be epic!

Comments

• All they need to do is trust themselves to self produce an album imo

They should let Trent Reznor or Jim James do it :) Or Rick Rubin maybe.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    self producing or going with someone new is a fantastic idea
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    new producer for sure.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,038
    bbiggs said:

I'm probably in the minority here but I'd be fine if they didn't put out any new albums. The catalog is as good as it gets and it's not like they're selling out stadiums by people that are dying to hear songs off LB. That said, if they're still writing music I'm hopeful it rocks and we're all pleasantly surprised.

I'm the opposite. I want new music! I love several songs of LB and Backspacer. Not to mention the greatest new song Of The Earth!
  • jdopjjdopj Posts: 647

bbiggs said:

I'm probably in the minority here but I'd be fine if they didn't put out any new albums. The catalog is as good as it gets and it's not like they're selling out stadiums by people that are dying to hear songs off LB. That said, if they're still writing music I'm hopeful it rocks and we're all pleasantly surprised.

I'm the opposite. I want new music! I love several songs of LB and Backspacer. Not to mention the greatest new song Of The Earth!
    They need new music. You can not rest on the past, you end up looking like a nostalgic act. They could tour and make money forever but they have always been relevant, why stop that now?
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,887

I've already got 10 song titles for them...they can do the rest

Upside down
    Odds and evens
    Concerted effort
    Skyscraper
    Uncovered
    Alien/nation
    Erosion control
    No country
    Solitary
    Miles away

There's some very interesting and thought provoking song titles right there.

Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    I think the next album will be very different from the others. Maybe a few friends playing on some songs and a classic new cover.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    joseph33 said:

I think the next album will be very different from the others. Maybe a few friends playing on some songs and a classic new cover.

I think we have heard everything we are going to hear from them as far as style goes. Great to good fast and slow rock tunes. No rocking the boat after 25 years.
  • joseph33 said:

Mods please ban this poster.
  • joseph33 said:

Por que¿
  • joseph33 said:

Por que¿
    A joke man,
    Relax
    The thought of the next album being directed by this post sends chills to PJ fans.

• Ahhh. I got ya. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm hoping for an acoustic album with some world class lyrics.
  • Ahhh. I got ya. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm hoping for an acoustic album with some world class lyrics.

See, now that makes sense and would not be unexpected from Pearl Jam.
    As for the OPs wish - ban him!
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,296

joseph33 said:

I think we have heard everything we are going to hear from them as far as style goes. Great to good fast and slow rock tunes. No rocking the boat after 25 years.
    Agree. They've become more rolling stones than neil young in that respect
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,204

Ahhh. I got ya. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm hoping for an acoustic album with some world class lyrics.

A double album would solve all of our problems. Acoustic and electric.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,903
    I disagree with the notion that they are relevant and not a nostalgia act, but for the sake of their really dedicated fanbase I think we need new albums every 3-5 years to have 5-6 new songs for sets to keep things fresh. They will always be popular, but I hope they end up more like Springsteen and less like the Rolling Stones in terms of new material +old material vs. what people are really there to see.
  • Yeah. Hearing the new songs is pretty much what keeps me going to shows anymore. I'm not craving to hear Daughter or Evenflow again, at all.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,887
    tbergs said:

Ahhh. I got ya. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm hoping for an acoustic album with some world class lyrics.

A double album would solve all of our problems. Acoustic and electric.
    Something like the Beatles White Album would do me. Not necessarily in sound but a warts and all sprawling set of album songs with some rockers, a few quick punk songs, bluesy jams, acoustic tracks, a hint of weird like on Vitalogy, some Stone and Jeff songs, a bit of everything really. Plug in and see what comes of it. These guys don't have much to prove in terms of pleasing their audience.

So in a nutshell a combo of Vitalogy, No Code, Yield and Binaural in one album.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14

Yeah. Hearing the new songs is pretty much what keeps me going to shows anymore. I'm not craving to hear Daughter or Evenflow again, at all.

I'm fine with old songs, but i do look forward to the 5-6 new songs I love on new albums (well, the last 2 LPs).
    Double albums are for bands in their song writing prime. And even then they would be better off releasing 2 albums in an 12-18 month period.

Double albums are for bands in their song writing prime. And even then they would be better off releasing 2 albums in an 12-18 month period.

Or a band highly inspired by the current state of our country. Riot Act is their longest album track wise, so I'd be good with 14 or 15 insightful, timely and in your face raw tunes that let it all bleed out over 65+ minutes.
  • The last thing we need is Pearl Jam to start singing about President Trump or have a Trump inspired LP.
    Bu$leaguer was neat and novel at the time but those days are long gone.
    The next album will be epic so long as it doesn't sound like other bands pastimes.

• That's literally the first thing I need, actually. Politics has been with this band since the beginning and it will be there until the end.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited February 2017

That's literally the first thing I need, actually. Politics has been with this band since the beginning and it will be there until the end.

Dear Pearl Jam,
    For the love of all things holy please do not sing songs about President Trump on your yet to be announced LP.

The last thing we need is Pearl Jam to start singing about President Trump or have a Trump inspired LP.
    The next album will be epic so long as it doesn't sound like other bands pastimes.

They don't need to mention his name and it doesn't have to be about him, but where the country is headed will definitely get some lyrical inspiration. This is Pearl Jam, walk away now if you want rainbows and sunshine.
  • tbergs said:

The last thing we need is Pearl Jam to start singing about President Trump or have a Trump inspired LP.

They don't need to mention his name and it doesn't have to be about him, but where the country is headed will definitely get some lyrical inspiration. This is Pearl Jam, walk away now if you want rainbows and sunshine.
    This is why I won't walk away.
    Their latest albums after Avocado have not been politically driven and may fit into your category of rainbows and sunshine.
    I hope the next album has some angst but not solely based upon President Trump.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,635
    Im down with Infallible. Best song from LB and great social commentary. I just dont want blatant anti-this person or that person tunes because i wouldnt listen to it. I like stuff a little more subtle where i can say "hmm i bet its about this...".

Just how i enjoy songs in general. I dont like when lyricists explain everything to me.

Im down with Infallible. Best song from LB and great social commentary. I just dont want blatant anti-this person or that person tunes because i wouldnt listen to it. I like stuff a little more subtle where i can say "hmm i bet its about this...".

Just how i enjoy songs in general. I dont like when lyricists explain everything to me.

Agreed. That's why 1/2 Full, Green Disease, Getaway, MYM, and most of Avocado are so kick ass. It also allows the song to remain relevant and relatable beyond any one person for years to come.
  • I agree with the two above comments. I'm all for addressing the state of the world, but being overtly blatant about the target of it is off putting.
    Hell, had Bushleaguer been called Blackout or whatever, there probably wouldn't have been an uproar over the actual song. Now, the mask and suit from that tour that Ed would wear would give it away for sure.
  • Agree with it's time to try a new producer. Literally anyone but obrien would b fine