Lemme See That Vinyl Collection!

Comments

• reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    mfc2006 said:

reesdog said:

Ok if I add you guys on Discogs too? Big fan of the site, really good for finding all the info on the exact pressing you have. I'm Reesdog there if you want add me..

Of course!
    Ok, cheers. I only list my records, got a ton of cd's too, but don't list them..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    reesdog said:

mfc2006 said:

reesdog said:

Ok if I add you guys on Discogs too? Big fan of the site, really good for finding all the info on the exact pressing you have. I'm Reesdog there if you want add me..

Of course!
    Ok, cheers. I only list my records, got a ton of cd's too, but don't list them..
    Same here...lp's only for the most part
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Once you get your vinyl in, I would put your CDs in also. Great to have an archive of your complete collection.
    MedozK said:

Once you get your vinyl in, I would put your CDs in also. Great to have an archive of your complete collection.

Maybe, but for me it's a hell of a lot of the same albums on vinyl as CD, so on Discogs it will be two pictures of most things when listed, that kind of annoys me. Plus, the monetary factor the CDs would add to the overall median price wouldn't be that much..
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    MedozK said:

at some point, I may. I just want all of my vinyl to be categorized for now. I've also added my 7" & 10"; but don't have many of those.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    reesdog said:

MedozK said:

Maybe, but for me it's a hell of a lot of the same albums on vinyl as CD, so on Discogs it will be two pictures of most things when listed, that kind of annoys me. Plus, the monetary factor the CDs would add to the overall median price wouldn't be that much..
    You can make folders containing only CDs and one containing LPs. So the visual won't bother you..lol. But I understand.
    MedozK said:

reesdog said:

MedozK said:

You can make folders containing only CDs and one containing LPs. So the visual won't bother you..lol. But I understand.
    Ok cool, didn't know that, good point! Am away on holiday at the moment, so will look into that once back home..
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Does anyone use alphabetical dividers for their albums? If so, what do you use? I'm not creative. I'm just using manila file folders with a letter stickers on the tab. The letters always come off and the folders tend to slide back all the time.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    edited December 2016
    JK_Livin said:

Does anyone use alphabetical dividers for their albums? If so, what do you use? I'm not creative. I'm just using manila file folders with a letter stickers on the tab. The letters always come off and the folders tend to slide back all the time.

I don't use them, but have seen them available at retailers like Bags Unlimited
    https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/298/lp-dividers
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    MedozK said:

JK_Livin said:

I don't use them, but have seen the available at retailers like Bags Unlimited
    https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/298/lp-dividers
    Thanks
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    MedozK said:

Running out of room. I have been allocated by the wife to a small extra bedroom (my office). Hopefully one day I can move to our bonus room. :grin:

Haha, me too! Although our bonus room is going to our boys to make way for a new addition to the family.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    mfc2006 said:

Slowly cataloging my vinyl on discogs. Holy crap. I didn't realize how many records I actually own.

Took me days to do mine, but well worth the time.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
    Just added a few of you guys on my Discogs friends list.....cheers!
    reesdog said:

Nice
    MedozK said:

reesdog said:

Nice
    Thats a serious collection you have there MedozK, great stuff..

reesdog said:

MedozK said:

reesdog said:

Nice

Thanks, a lil of everything
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    MedozK said:

reesdog said:

MedozK said:

reesdog said:

Nice

What s in your top five go to records?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

MedozK said:

reesdog said:

MedozK said:

reesdog said:

Nice

What s in your top five go to records?
    Wow, that's very hard. I have come to the point now that I use the Random Item link on my Discogs collection, to pick what I listen to...hmm.. would have to think about a top 5.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Some of your setups put
    scurtis said:

mfc2006 said:

Slowly cataloging my vinyl on discogs. Holy crap. I didn't realize how many records I actually own.

Took me days to do mine, but well worth the time.
    Ugh, I am procrastinating on that so much. I only have maybe half or 60% of mine catalogued (and poorly catalogued at that. I didn't note condition for any of them). I do want my whole collection on there, but i don't really want to go through and figure out what I do and don't have there already.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    I'm in too deep to catalog my records in discogs. i have too many records and such little free time after family and work and working out an other important stuff. I'd love to do it though. I'd be curious as to what I've spent/what the collection is worth. I like that feature.
    If I have spare time, I am on Discogs. I have cataloged my entire collection CD and Vinyl. I love they history behind the pressings. Checking runout information to find out what plant pressed a certain record. I like that. And I have done the same for both CDs and Vinyl. I may have multiples of certain releases, but they may have been pressed at different plants.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    MedozK said:

If I have spare time, I am on Discogs. I have cataloged my entire collection CD and Vinyl. I love they history behind the pressings. Checking runout information to find out what plant pressed a certain record. I like that. And I have done the same for both CDs and Vinyl. I may have multiples of certain releases, but they may have been pressed at different plants.

How do you check specified by which plant?
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Its usually in the runout groove. Older records from the 60s and 70s had it on every record. They would press a record at several different plants to meet regional demand.

Today its basically a US plant for US pressing and a Euro one for European. And its not even that most of the time. It can be 1 plant for the world (Like the PJ reissues).

If you see a hand written U with a circle around it, the record was pressed at URP in nashville. Stuff like that.
    edited January 2017

MedozK said:

Runout etching and stamps tell you everything. You just have to know what to look for. Discogs is a great reference. Like the Mother Love Bone Box set reissue was pressed by RTI in Camarillo, California. While the reissues of Yield and No Code were pressed at MPO in Averton, France. Pallas in Diepholz, Germany press a ton of great records and a lot of US pressings are pressed there, so US pressings are not necessarily pressed in the US. The two US plants that take the most criticism are Rainbo in Canoga Park, CA and United in Nashville, TN. Their QC are both probably the worst, however you can still get great pressings from them. All of Third Man's pressings are pressed at United, but they are about to open their own pressing plant soon in Michigan (Third Man Pressing).

QRP in Salina, Kansas is a great plant, and usually produces fine records.

All of these plants have a code or identifier stamped or etched into every record they press. So if you know how to identify them, you know who pressed it.

Here is just a list of some of the US plants and identifiers on how to recognize them.
    https://www.discogs.com/lists/US-Record-Pressing-Plants/213755
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    MedozK said:

MedozK said:

Runout etching and stamps tell you everything. You just have to know what to look for. Discogs is a great reference. Like the Mother Love Bone Box set reissue was pressed by RTI in Camarillo, California. While the reissues of Yield and No Code were pressed at MPO in Averton, France. Pallas in Diepholz, Germany press a ton of great records and a lot of US pressings are pressed there, so US pressings are not necessarily pressed in the US. The two US plants that take the most criticism are Rainbo in Canoga Park, CA and United in Nashville, TN. Their QC are both probably the worst, however you can still get great pressings from them. All of Third Man's pressings are pressed at United, but they are about to open their own pressing plant soon in Michigan (Third Man Pressing).

All of these plants have a code or identifier stamped or etched into every record they press. So if you know how to identify them, you know who pressed it.

Here is just a list of some of the US plants and identifiers on how to recognize them.
    Great stuff. Thanks for all that.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136

MedozK said:

MedozK said:

Great stuff. Thanks for all that.
    +1

5 starred post, just learned a lot there. Thank you!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    I've always thought Pallas and RTI are two of the best I've encountered. QRP is jumping up there though. All my pressings from them are flawless and sound amazing.

I've always thought Pallas and RTI are two of the best I've encountered. QRP is jumping up there though. All my pressings from them are flawless and sound amazing.

Agree
    Was spinning August & Everything after this morning. So well done.