Options

New Tribe Album

Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,766
This shit is fuck.ing. gooooooood.

Comments

• Options
    Glad to hear the word n*%#_a in the first 20'seconds of the album. Fail. No wonder our world is the way it is.
  • Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,137
    What tracks do you like? I'm into Melatonin but I kinda hated the 'The Space Program'... I'm on the fence about 'Solid Wall of Sound,' because I love Elton, but like Space Program, the song is just weird.
  • Options
    i literally made it 20 seconds in. I will go back and give it a proper listen. With today's climate and situation we are currently facing it seems very unnecessary for anyone, no matter what color skin they have to use the N word.
  • Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,137
    If you only made it 20 seconds in, skip the first song. It get's better.

Check out this great feature that explains some of the background of this new album http://www.complex.com/music/making-of-a-tribe-called-quest-final-album

Also really interesting is the NY Times story about the album: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/arts/music/a-tribe-called-quest-new-album-interview.html
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,833
    edited November 2016
    Until about a week ago I never thought we'd get to hear new ATCQ music. These guys were a huge soundtrack to my youth and it's a gift to get one more LP from them. I just finished listen #1 of the new one. It's definitely got a different sound from their other stuff. But that's to be expected when you don't drop an album in 18 years...people change and evolve, and so do sounds. While I like the new stuff, there's definitely room for it to grow. The two-man tag team of Tip and Phife are much more like guest spots than the bedrock of the album. The five Five Foot Freak presence on the album isn't consistent throughout which gives it more of an in-honor-of feel that a true ATCQ joint. The mellow flow of The Love Movement seems to carry over on this one too. The too-many-to-count all-star guests do a good job of blending into the overall album as opposed to commanding the spotlight on individual songs. The Tribe's sound was always ahead of the game. Hopefully this one is too and the album get better w/ repeated listens. Looking forward to spending more time w/ it.
    Post edited by jjflash on
  • Options
    The beginning of this album is what hooks really. We The People is so good.

Whole album is solid from beginning to end. The last album I felt like I knew I was listening to an overall good album like this was This is Happening by LCD.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Listened yesterday & loved it
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    And then they went and fucking killed it at The Grammys.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378

And then they went and fucking killed it at The Grammys.

they sure did
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com