Oasis

Nowhere ManNowhere Man Posts: 345
edited July 2010 in Other Music
I have been on a bit of an Oasis kick lately and was curious of what songs/albums everyone liked.
For me I would say (Songbird and Cigarettes & Alcohol) right now anyways.
Album would be "Heathen Chemistry"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjfaninindianapjfaninindiana Northeast Indiana Posts: 311
    I love Oasis. I really like Heathen Chemistry as well. Cool to see another fan of it on here. Love Stop Crying Your Heart Out, Little By Little and Hung In A Bad Place. I didn't really like that last album they did that much though. Some terrible lyrics on there.
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    I was just strumming a little Oasis on my guitar. I'm glad I had the chance to see them before Noel left. I wouldn't say they are my most favorite band but I do enjoy them. Knocking off a few of their songs around the campfire is always a good time.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    too many great songs to list...my current faves are

slide away
    the masterplan
    rockin chair
    don't look back in anger
    talk tonight
    half a world away

for some reason i really dig the songs that noel sings...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    Like the poster above me, I also like a lot of the B-sides so The Masterplan is one of my favorite Oasis albums. Standing on the Shoulder of Giants has some amazing songs on it as well, though the overall tone of the album is like a hangover compared to the overblown cokefest of Be Here Now.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Nowhere ManNowhere Man Posts: 345
    I just picked up "The Masterplan" and have been hooked on this album. Some real amazing tunes on this, I am really loving "Talk Tonight and Acquiesce".
    The Masterplan is a great album. Some of those songs could have and should have been singles...

funny story real quick. my band was going to do a one off show as an oasis tribute band about 5 years ago. we learned about 15 songs and were going to learn another 20 or so but we could not find a venue that would host us because "there is not enough demand for an oasis tribute show...." even at the places we play every month..they were all afraid of losing money because Oasis never got huge in the midwest, and they cancelled shows in my town 3 times in the 90s and were not welcomed back lol...we even had borrowed a gibson nonreverse firebird like gem plays and union jack epiphone sheraton like noel's...either way, the tunes are great and i would have loved to do that show....
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    Falling Down is my favorite song by them. I love the atmosphere it creates.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Nowhere ManNowhere Man Posts: 345
    The Masterplan is a great album. Some of those songs could have and should have been singles...

funny story real quick. my band was going to do a one off show as an oasis tribute band about 5 years ago. we learned about 15 songs and were going to learn another 20 or so but we could not find a venue that would host us because "there is not enough demand for an oasis tribute show...." even at the places we play every month..they were all afraid of losing money because Oasis never got huge in the midwest, and they cancelled shows in my town 3 times in the 90s and were not welcomed back lol...we even had borrowed a gibson nonreverse firebird like gem plays and union jack epiphone sheraton like noel's...either way, the tunes are great and i would have loved to do that show....

Man that is too bad that your Oasis tribute didn't work out, that would have been a really cool show to put on, especially with the work you put into it.

Do you have any recommendations of an Oasis DVD that's worth watching?
    MM180489 wrote:

Man that is too bad that your Oasis tribute didn't work out, that would have been a really cool show to put on, especially with the work you put into it.

ha ha yeah we were all pretty bummed about not getting to do that show. it is probably better that we didn't. there is nothing worse than playing to half empty venue, which i am sure that is what would have happened...

as far as dvds go you really can't go wrong. live by the sea is great, its old school with their old drummer tony mccarroll. there and then is pretty good. it is a mash up of video from different shows with several funny interviews from all the original members, including guigsy and bonehead. familiar to millions is my favorite one, entire concert from wembley stadium when they were in their prime. definitely maybe is the 10 year dvd anniversary of their first album which is also pretty good. i did not care too much for lord don't slow me down though...no particular reason, i just did not like it as much as the others...

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Came across this gem on youtube today. Cool version of one of my favorite songs of all time. South American crowds are the best....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7RSi9V7FZM
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,925
    edited May 2015

MM180489 wrote:

Live at barrowlands is my favourite live recording.

Lucky enough to catch Oasis a few times and the atmosphere at the gigs is unlike any other I've been to.

Good to hear people discussing songs that aren't on the first three albums. Gas Panic is one of their most underrated songs IMO.
    Post edited by tino_11 on
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I know it's a very popular song but I LOVE Champagne Supernova live. The guitar just rocks!!!
  • nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    Met Noel last week here in Toronto while he was signing autographs before his show.

His commentary on the Time Flies DVD is absolutely hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caB5RoaBvsI
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    The Masterplan is my fave by them. Reminds me of college.
    www.cluthelee.com
    New documentary coming out looks great. Still pissed at myself that I never saw these guys in concert...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9waBd3yPOLE
  • TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va) Posts: 881
    They are definitely in my top 5 bands of all time. They put out so many amazing songs in such a quick amount of time. And what I find most amazing is how some of their b-sides are just as if not better than their more popular hits.

Definitely excited for the documentary film to come out, I have my tickets to see it on the 26th!

New documentary coming out looks great. Still pissed at myself that I never saw these guys in concert...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9waBd3yPOLE

One of the loudest shows I've ever been to. First was AC/DC at the old arena in St.Louis.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848

Met Noel last week here in Toronto while he was signing autographs before his show.

His commentary on the Time Flies DVD is absolutely hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caB5RoaBvsI

That's cool stuff.. I like these super deluxe box sets they've been putting out. Nice looking!
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va) Posts: 881
    Went and saw the one night exclusive showing for the US of Supersonic the other day. Thought it was a fantastic music documentary. Completely unbiased in the different views of the brothers. The amount of completely new footage really did blow me away. Totally recommend this for any fan of them.

Also the theatre I saw it at let me keep the poster afterwards! :rock_on:
  • morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    TFlyer said:

Went and saw the one night exclusive showing for the US of Supersonic the other day. Thought it was a fantastic music documentary. Completely unbiased in the different views of the brothers. The amount of completely new footage really did blow me away. Totally recommend this for any fan of them.

Also the theatre I saw it at let me keep the poster afterwards! :rock_on:

My husband & I went to the movie the other week too & also really enjoyed it. :grin:
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    I was never really a fan of the band back in the day. However, I saw Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds at Pemberton this summer and thought they were really good. I was streaming the super ultra deluxe extended version of Definitely Maybe the other day and was quite entertained. Lots of power chords.

My wife interviewed them way back in the day when she worked for AOL's entertainment division. The two brothers and Bonehead guzzled a case of beer during the course of the hourlong session and she had to yell at them to not fight or spill any of their drinks on her computer. Other than that she said they were pretty fun to be around.
  • Really like this one (and most stuff Noel sang on over Liams):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPHCLOaA5Ms
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I haven't seen the documentary yet but perhaps this weekend now that I can stream it.

That said, I've picked up the Deluxe Editions of their first three albums. They're fantastic, and collect all of the B-sides from each release on disc 2. It's so much more convenient than hunting them all down the way I had to do in the '90s. (Sadly, the covers of Bowie's "Heroes" and Stones' "Steet Fighting Man" are not included on disc2 of the Be Here Now release, even though they were on the Stend By Me and All Around the World singles. I don't get it.)
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Supersonic is up on iTunes and it's every bit as great as you would expect it to be.

Supersonic is up on iTunes and it's every bit as great as you would expect it to be.

Oh nice. I didn't realize it was going to be released right away. Will definitely check it out this week.

Awesome!!! Can't wait to watch it!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    Just watched it, good stuff... Good thing there's subtitles, can't understand half the shit they say sometimes. Great band, guess it's time to crank out some Oasis and remember the good Ol' days...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

Attaway77 said:

Just watched it, good stuff... Good thing there's subtitles, can't understand half the shit they say sometimes. Great band, guess it's time to crank out some Oasis and remember the good Ol' days...

Heavy accents for sure - their particular brand is especially tough.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Attaway77 said:

Heavy accents for sure - their particular brand is especially tough.
    Liam is far worse than Noel. Almost like he goes all in just to fuck with people, and push his working class background. They both sounds really charming though :)

Should have seen the documentary in the cinema. Sucks I skipped it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Watched this afternoon. Very well done, needed subtitles & a British slang reference guide. Lots I didn't know - particularly about Noel's child abuse. Kind of explains a bit about why he is hard to digest, much like Billy Corgan. The bit about their first drummer was harsh - but I get where Noel was coming from. Love all of Oasis's catalog & own all their major releases. I wish they were still making music together.
    www.cluthelee.com