HBO's WESTWORLD(Spoilers)

Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
edited November 2016 in All Encompassing Trip
Early reviews have been generally favorable on this. Looks interesting enough to give it a try.
And so you see, I have come to doubt
All that I once held as true
I stand alone without beliefs
The only truth I know is you.
Post edited by Dr. Delight on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    yep..i wait for tis one..
    shameless season premiere to tonight
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Is this any relation to the movie "West World" (which I always thought was Yul Brynner's finest work)?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    brianlux said:

Is this any relation to the movie "West World" (which I always thought was Yul Brynner's finest work)?

Per IMdb:
    A series inspired by the 1973 film of the same title written by Michael Crichton about a futuristic theme park populated by artificial beings.
    This has a lot of potential. Thought it was a very strong opening.
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    edited October 2016
    I liked it...You notice the music through out on the piano? I caught "Black Hole Sun" and a Rolling Stones song, I forget now which one.. pretty cool..
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

Attaway77 said:

I liked it...You notice the music through out on the piano? I caught "Black Hole Sun" and a Rolling Stones song, I forget now which one.. pretty cool..

Yes, "Paint it Black" I guess it was a theme for the Man in Black?
    So many questions about him. Probably need to watch this episode again. Great start.
    Attaway77 said:

Paint it Black
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    show is really good..and so many things to wonder..cant wait for next week
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258

Attaway77 said:

Yes, "Paint it Black" I guess it was a theme for the Man in Black?
    So many questions about him. Probably need to watch this episode again. Great start.
    It was a pretty good start, I'm intrigued to see how it plays out. My favourite part was spotting Black Hole Sun and Paint It Black! I never knew how much I wanted a Western saloon version of BHS until now!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Episode 2: Nice to get a look at how people prepare/enter the park.
    "No Surprises" by Radiohead on the saloon piano.
    The hosts are becoming completely awake and seem to have memories tied to the Man in Black. He has been around for 30 years. Is he part of the program and not a real person?
    Will be interesting to see the Maze that Ed Harris' character is on the lookout for.
    explained alot episode 2..i like the whole idea
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    This show's got me interested, but there's A LOT going on between these two episodes - hopefully all these lines become one circle at some point, otherwise they're going to exhaust me. I like the concept a lot, though, so we'll see. My thought is, ultimately, this show will turn back on the viewer and bring up conversation of creation, gods, consciousness; all that good stuff..
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I like that's It's a very talented casting with Anthony Hopkins among others.
    Annafalk said:

I like that's It's a very talented casting with Anthony Hopkins among others.

Absolutely - huge fan of Jeffrey Wright.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Gonna watch on demand this week both episodes. Cast looks good

Need something to watch
    Really starting to enjoy this series.
    Didnt notice it but was the co-creator in the picture the Man in Black? Ford said he "died" inside the park years ago.
    We now have the stray host wandering off, carving the Orion constellation into the wood objects. Then he attacked the security team before destroying himself.
    Cool to see the changes to Dolores. She is becoming more self aware each episode. She fought back at the end and killed the host in her story line.
    Bernard seems to care for her like the son that he lost. On the other end of the spectrum, Ford has a complete opposite view of the robots.
    And what the heck were those things that attacked Teddy's group in the Wyatt story line? Looked like savages but sounded like dinosaurs. They didnt die when shot. Maybe they are with the Man in Black.
    A lot going on.
    So....Bernard's a robot right?
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

Who the hell knows? But this show has me hooked.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited October 2016
    This weeks Saloon piano song was "A Forest" by The Cure

The acting has been fabulous.
    So the Man in Black is a guest,having been revealed as running some foundation in real life. Both he and now Dolores are now in search of the Maze. It seems to be the heart of Westworld and maybe a way out for Dolores/the other hosts?
    Seems Ford(Hopkins) is pretty sinister and I'm curious about the extension to the park that he is building. That black church steeple from last week seems to be tied into Dolores' origin somehow, whether it real or just scripted memory.
    Maeve is further remembering things and keeping records of them, the workers in the masks and then at the end, she remembers being shot in previous loops, and cuts out the bullet slug from her stomach.
    Post edited by Dr. Delight on
    edited October 2016
    mfc2006 said:

Who the hell knows? But this show has me hooked.
    Yup, now more convinced Bernard's a robot.

And the theory about Ed Harris being the guy in the white hat I can still possibly being true.

And that security guy might be a robot. THEY'RE ALL ROBOTS.

This weeks Saloon piano song was "A Forest" by The Cure

The acting has been fabulous.
    So the Man in Black is a guest,having been revealed as running some foundation in real life. Both he and now Dolores are now in search of the Maze. It seems to be the heart of Westworld and maybe a way out for Dolores/the other hosts?
    Seems Ford(Hopkins) is pretty sinister and I'm curious about the extension to the park that he is building. That black church steeple from last week seems to be tied into Dolores' origin somehow, whether it real or just scripted memory.
    Maeve is further remembering things and keeping records of them, the workers in the masks and then at the end, she remembers being shot in previous loops, and cuts out the bullet slug from her stomach.

To me - the whole thing is about the narrative being the introduction of faith and God, existentialism, to the robots. And add that to the fact that the robots are becoming progressively more sentient (I'm thinking because Arnold's not dead or somehow programmed into all their code this ability) that all the robots are going to rebel and kill their "god", who is Ford.
    Man, this show just loves throwing new questions at the viewer. So much going on with so many unknowns and possibilities.
    Episode 6:
    Radioheads Fake Plastic Trees played on the Saloon piano.
    How cool is Maeve's storyline? She got a super upgrade.
    Lots of stuff going on, especially the corporate information sabotage that "Arnold" and Theresa seem to be part of. Controlling the older modeled hosts through satellite voice communications.
    And Ford hiding his family "ghosts" in Sector 17.
    Lots of speculation/theories going on for this show...fun to see how it all unfolds.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I'm really enjoying this show.
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    bflynn1 said:

+1
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Yarden said:

bflynn1 said:

+1
    +2 :) Soooo many questions!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    This is what I think - Bernard is definitely a robot, the Jimmi/Ed Harris in a black hat are separate timeliness, and thereshe definitely Teo major themes at play: Arnold, whether he's dead or not, is about showing sentience can happen beyond any humans/robots/etc (2) Anthony Hopkins wants to control everything.
    Damn, so yes, Bernard is a host. The question now is, is Bernard really Arnold?
    This show keeps getting better and better. Best episode of the season right here.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

Damn, so yes, Bernard is a host. The question now is, is Bernard really Arnold?
    This show keeps getting better and better. Best episode of the season right here.

I'm guessing he is based on the real Arnold, Ford created him since he missed his old friend.

The crazy thing is the company looks like they really underestimated him. There could be a lot of people he "replaced" and no none knows.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    And was Ford creating a "host" version of Theresa on the table in the room where Bernard murdered her? He'll need to account for her disappearance.
    So damn good.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    edited November 2016

And was Ford creating a "host" version of Theresa on the table in the room where Bernard murdered her? He'll need to account for her disappearance.
    So damn good.

That is what I thought. I thought the preview showed them all looking at a body though. But it may have been the woman who discovered Theresa was trying to steal secrets and disappeared last week.

And I want to know how much the Man in Black knows, since him and Ford obviously have a past. And are the other robots "waking up" outside of Ford's plans?

So many directions it can go. Glad it is already renewed.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...