Seeing Other Concerts

FE55353FE55353 Greenville, SC Posts: 63
I would guess this has been covered before, but we are truly blessed to get the concerts we get from Pearl Jam.
Friday night I went with a friend to see Cheap Trick, Joan Jett and Heart. The show started a little after 6:30 and was done by 10:30, with 2 stage changes. Each band played between 10 and 15 songs and the crowd loved it.
I have been to 3 Pearl Jam shows this year and have seen over 9 hours of concert and at least 50 different songs. Heart was awesome but played a few hits and then were finished.

Our favorite band is still playing like they need to win us over, even after 25 years. If you haven't seen any other bands in a while I recommend you go so that you can grow in your appreciation of unique setlists, song dedications and just the level of effort Mike, Matt, Stone, Jeff, Eddie and Boom give each night.

I guess this can be considered an open letter shout out. EVEN FLOW!!!
"If you are listening to this bootleg in Alaska, open the front door." Eddie Vedder 10/8/00

Alpine Valley: 6/26/98, 10/8/00, 6/21/03, 9/3/11 Target Center: 6/30/98
Summerfest: 6/30/06 Music Midtown: 9/22/12 Wrigley Field: 7/19 & 7/20/13, 8/20/16
Charlotte: 10/30/13
Greenville: 4/16/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Wrigley Field: 8/20/2016

Comments

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    :rock_on:

I have been to just 2 other concerts this year and I have a new appreciation for all kinds of differ aspects. From stage to lighting to crowds to sets to gear to parking to food to hotels bahahah.

I definitely compare PJ to all others and love the way they play live. Everyone is different and that's good too but man DO I LOVE ME SOME PJ LIVE!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Well, when your other concerts are Cheap Trick, Joan Jett and Heart your neighbor's garage band would be more interesting live.
  • I agree! PJ live ruins other bands for me! That being said, I caught Ben Harper with the Innocent criminals at the Ryman, and wow! Not PJ, but damn does that band sound amazing.
  • jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    No one else is the same. Everytime I've seen anyone else I can't wait for my next PJ show
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073

I agree! PJ live ruins other bands for me! That being said, I caught Ben Harper with the Innocent criminals at the Ryman, and wow! Not PJ, but damn does that band sound amazing.

Great venue ta boot!
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    I go to a lot of different shows and I can tell you that on a multi-band or co-headlining show like the one you mentioned (which ended up at 4 hrs start to finish from your times), you really shouldn't expect more than about 75-90 min set each. That's really around the standard set length in the concert industry (~90 min to 2 hours for a headliner, give or take an encore). There are exceptions like PJ and others who deliver more.
    Bruce Springsteen has recently been topping 4 hours for his sets. On the flip side, the Rolling Stones play around 20 songs in their shows.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I like to go see my friend's bands....
  • camel1206camel1206 Chicago Posts: 65
    Living in Chicago, I'm fortunate to see a lot of concerts and yep, 90 minutes is about average set for a headliner. Even if that headliner has a decent catalogue, we are truly spoiled.

Not just the length of the show, but most bands or artists will go with a set for an entire tour and not change it up. We never know what to expect when guys take stage.

It doesn't take away my enjoyment of seeing anyone else, I just don't have a need to see them multiple times on same tour.
    Chicago '13
    New York 1 & 2 '16
    Chicago 1 & 2 '16
    Temple of the Dog '16 - Los Angeles
  • sturgill simpson's playing call to arms as the last song of the night was mind blowing this year
    i'm just happy to have apples and oranges cause i love both
  • FE55353 said:

I would guess this has been covered before, but we are truly blessed to get the concerts we get from Pearl Jam.
    Friday night I went with a friend to see Cheap Trick, Joan Jett and Heart. The show started a little after 6:30 and was done by 10:30, with 2 stage changes. Each band played between 10 and 15 songs and the crowd loved it.
    I have been to 3 Pearl Jam shows this year and have seen over 9 hours of concert and at least 50 different songs. Heart was awesome but played a few hits and then were finished.

Our favorite band is still playing like they need to win us over, even after 25 years. If you haven't seen any other bands in a while I recommend you go so that you can grow in your appreciation of unique setlists, song dedications and just the level of effort Mike, Matt, Stone, Jeff, Eddie and Boom give each night.

I was there, too. Glad I was on time because I thought Cheap Trick would've played last. Not sure what you were expecting but I went into it knowing each band would play a shortened set so I wasn't disappointed. I had a blast and it was definitely the cheapest ticket I've bought all year ($15).
    I'm through with screaming
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,906
    I went to Def Leppard a couple months ago. Reo Speedwagon opened up for them. Reo took the stage at 7:30 and Def Leppard walked off the stage at 10:30. Great show and had a wonderful time.
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,867
    Yeah sometimes we get bogged down in song counts and set lengths. Neither necessarily equals a great show. I saw Glen Hansard last week and the show was awesome. He "only" played 20-25 songs and I have no idea how long he was onstage. Didn't matter. The show was awesome. I walked out feeling like I had just experienced something special.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited September 2016
    Agree with JimmyV. A good, quality show will almost always beat a long setlist. The only exception would be if I'm paying $70 to see one band, they better damn well take the stage for longer than an hour & 20 minutes and play more than 11 songs (of which 8 are from their newest album). I'm looking at you, Tool!
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,073
    I think Pearl Jam and Pearl Jam fans are what makes PJ shows great. PJ has developed a similar following to the greatful dead. It creates this rare situation where alot of people go to multiple shows and are more invested as fans. Thus the majority of attendees at PJ shows know all the songs, from staples to rarities. It means the band can play pretty much anything on any given night and the crowd will eat it up.

At most other shows it doesn't seem to work like that. If I go see a Foo Fighters, Metallica, or U2 show, if they stray too far from the staples, the crowd goes quiet. Thus the majority of their sets are greatest hits that most people know. Some bands don't have the catalog or the fans to go past 90 minutes. I think a solid set for an act is at least 2 hours, 3 hours is above beyond, and 4 hours (like recent Springsteen shows) is extraordinary.

It can also vary if something is billed as a double headliner. Instead of the opener getting 40 minutes and main band getting 2 hours, it's usually split closer to 90 minutes/90 minutes (last band might get a few extra minutes).

Counting Crows played in Chicago a few days after Wrigley. We went. It was ok. I was the exact problem I named above. I pretty much know the first albjum front to back, know the first half of the 2nd album front to back, but no much else. The Crowd went pretty quiet when they weren't play hits (and a number of people left, presumably Rob Thomas fans who came for his set). I'm not sure if I wanted more than 90 minutes :)
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Pearl Jam has ruined my experience seeing most other bands. Every time I see one of my faves, I think "shit, that's it? only 90 minutes? you guys have so much more material!". and other bands don't spoil you with deep cuts and rarities like PJ does.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I was giving girls I work with some shit on Friday that were going to the Dixie Chicks concert and they were talking about the set list before hand because they play the same set every night. For me that takes some if the enjoyment out when you know the set before hand. I would still go see PJ if they played the same set night after night but it would be no where near the same.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,073
    I think it's why I like to see PJ play every tour (or at least everytime they play near here), but other bands I don't feel like I miss much if I see them play every couple of tours. If I skip PJ it feels like I'm missing something. If I skip a band that plays the same show every tour (give or take 3 songs they sub in from their new album) I don't feel like I miss too much. Of the bands I see only PJ and Springsteen play very long sets with different setlists every night.

I think it works well for artists because it makes a number of fans want to see multiple shows. If you've got fans willing to travel around, it makes it that much easier to sell out shows.
  • theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278
    FE55353 said:

I saw that same show back in July. I thought Heart sucked. My wife and I have seen them 3 times in the last 6 years, they always put on a great show. Not this year. Boring BORING set.
    Cheap Trick was....Cheap Trick. Good. Not bad. Not great. Just good
    Joan Jett on the other hand, she KILLED!! Her band was on fire and her set list was very well put together!

I just saw Black Sabbath. That was cool, but it sucked knowing the EXACT order of the songs. We are so very spoiled by Pearl Jam and their Grateful Dead like ways of creating unique set lists.
    Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.
  • joshualukin69joshualukin69 Indy Posts: 33
    edited September 2016
    As much as I love Qotsa, they are not as much fun to follow around as PJ is. I saw them back to back in two different citys, they played their entire new album minus one song both nights and copied and pasted the sets. Pearl Jam is different every single freaking night. But, Queens also rocked hard and both were great shows. :)
    Post edited by joshualukin69 on
    Deer Creek, IN Aug '98
    Deer Creek, IN Aug '00
    Deer Creek, IN June, '03
    Deer Creek, IN May, '10
    US Bank, Cincy OH, Oct '14
    Rupp Arena, Lexington KY, April '16
    Wrigley Field, Chi Ill Aug 20th
    Wrigley Field, Chi Ill Aug 22nd

I need Hard to Imagine once, live, I'll do things I'm not proud of to make this happen ;)
  • motarmotar Posts: 141

As much as I love Qotsa, they are not as much fun to follow around as PJ is. I saw them back to back in two different citys, they played they're entire new album minus one sond both nights and copied and pasted the sets. Pearl Jam is different every single freaking night. But, Queens also rocked hard and both were great shows. :)

I agree with you and wish Josh would mix it up a bit more. With that said, I got to hear In The Fade at Red Rocks during their last tour and thus cant complain about shit.
  • FE55353FE55353 Greenville, SC Posts: 63
    I wasn't so much saying I was disappointed in the show Friday, Ann Wilson brought it. I think to a lot of shows I have seen by various bands through the years. I guess I hadn't given too much thought to the available catalog for each band and the time of the show. I was just trying to say that I compare and contrast in my mind.

Some of the posts I see on this site give me a different impression of what people expect compared to the replies for this post. In a live show I just look for passion from the musicians and do they change or enhance the original arrangements.
    "If you are listening to this bootleg in Alaska, open the front door." Eddie Vedder 10/8/00

Alpine Valley: 6/26/98, 10/8/00, 6/21/03, 9/3/11 Target Center: 6/30/98
    Summerfest: 6/30/06 Music Midtown: 9/22/12 Wrigley Field: 7/19 & 7/20/13, 8/20/16
    Charlotte: 10/30/13
    Greenville: 4/16/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Wrigley Field: 8/20/2016
  • theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278
    FE55353 said:

I wasn't so much saying I was disappointed in the show Friday, Ann Wilson brought it. I think to a lot of shows I have seen by various bands through the years. I guess I hadn't given too much thought to the available catalog for each band and the time of the show. I was just trying to say that I compare and contrast in my mind.

Some of the posts I see on this site give me a different impression of what people expect compared to the replies for this post. In a live show I just look for passion from the musicians and do they change or enhance the original arrangements.

I hear you. That's what every Heart show I've seen has been. Not this one though. Ann especially seemed distant and not at all into it.
    Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.
  • 2016 has been an active year for me attending concerts
    Boz Scaggs
    Robin Trower
    PJ MSG 1 and 2
    Bad Co/ Joe Walsh
    Peter Gabriel / Sting
    Jane's Addiction
    Joe Walsh
    PJ Fenway 1 and 2
    Robert Cray ( got a pick and drumsticks)
    Tony Bennett 90th Birthday celebration (filmed by NBC airs Dec 20 ) with Stevie Wonder/Lady Gaga/Micheal Buble/Rufus Wainwright/Andrea Bocelli/KD Lang/ Kevin Spacey /Alec Baldwin
    ELO ( Fantastic special effects)
    All the shows were great , but PJ goes the extra mile in terms of # of songs and varied sets.
    Many of the other bands played the exact same set every night of the tour
  • joshualukin69joshualukin69 Indy Posts: 33
    motar said:

As much as I love Qotsa, they are not as much fun to follow around as PJ is. I saw them back to back in two different citys, they played they're entire new album minus one sond both nights and copied and pasted the sets. Pearl Jam is different every single freaking night. But, Queens also rocked hard and both were great shows. :)

I agree with you and wish Josh would mix it up a bit more. With that said, I got to hear In The Fade at Red Rocks during their last tour and thus cant complain about shit.
    The Fade = <3
    Deer Creek, IN Aug '98
    Deer Creek, IN Aug '00
    Deer Creek, IN June, '03
    Deer Creek, IN May, '10
    US Bank, Cincy OH, Oct '14
    Rupp Arena, Lexington KY, April '16
    Wrigley Field, Chi Ill Aug 20th
    Wrigley Field, Chi Ill Aug 22nd

I need Hard to Imagine once, live, I'll do things I'm not proud of to make this happen ;)
  • CJ23113CJ23113 Long Island Posts: 187
    Been to about 15 concerts this year which includes 2 pj shows. I never expect any other bands to play longer then 1.5 hours. If they do that's a bonus.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

FE55353 said:

I hear you. That's what every Heart show I've seen has been. Not this one though. Ann especially seemed distant and not at all into it.
    I think her husband just got charged with beating up 2 minors over a bus incident.
    that probably did the trick.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• I agree! PJ live ruins other bands for me! That being said, I caught Ben Harper with the Innocent criminals at the Ryman, and wow! Not PJ, but damn does that band sound amazing.

Great venue ta boot!
    Agreed. I saw them in the summer of 2015 at an amphitheatre built for sound, and they blew me away. It topped all my PJ experiences. I was stunned by that realization in the middle of it, but it's the truth.