• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited September 2016
    pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Please, just SOMETHING creative.

Yeah really. I don't think I can take another BS or LB kind of release.
    What was wrong with LB? now BS I thought was too poppy and manufactured so I see your point there...I love how everyone has a different opinion so im actually curious

What was wrong with it is that I hate half the songs, haha. ;) I really don't like this cheezy stuff they are doing now, like Sirens and Future Days and SBM, and LTRP is just plain bad. Even the good songs aren't great.
    you notice after my edit that I left those two songs you listed at the end out..haha...I thought this album was more rockish compared to BS so it was a breath of fresh air, but I get your point I think the Ed solo stuff has seaped in more with the band

Well, yeah, LB is better than BS, no thanks to the bad half of the album. I enjoy MYM, LB, Infallible, and a couple others, but they aren`t GREAT songs. There are no "masterpieces" on LB at all I don't think. Not even close. All of these albums before BS had some. They lost something in the past 10 years IMO. It's like their creative juices slowed to a trickle (that's what she said). I keep hoping they can get it back.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

What was wrong with LB? now BS I thought was too poppy and manufactured so I see your point there...I love how everyone has a different opinion so im actually curious

What was wrong with it is that I hate half the songs, haha. ;) I really don't like this cheezy stuff they are doing now, like Sirens and Future Days and SBM, and LTRP is just plain bad. Even the good songs aren't really great. Not compared to what they did before the Backspacer era. Dr. D mentioned creativity. YES, that is what they need to go back to. They need to get weirder, basically. More experimental, more unique in style. Like they used to do.
    I feel that Backspacer and Lightning Bolt are the best albums since Yield. I absolutely love both of them. Backspacer is such a fun, punky record and Lightning Bolt for the most part is just great classic rock.

I'd consider songs like Unthought Known, Just Breathe, Lightning Bolt, and Sirens classics.

I'd pick these albums over anything off Avocado or Riot Act

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226

They've reached the Bob Dylan 'Never Ending Tour' stage of their careers. No opener, long sets, don't need a new album as an excuse for touring. Thankfully, Ed sounds much better than Bob. ;)

Um, yeah. I saw Dylan at Tanglewood this summer. Reviewers who said his lyrics were intelligible were lying.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Mike said that the band (PJ) is really busy in an interview about TotD. I think it has to be a new album but wouldn't it be bigger news?
    http://teamrock.com/news/2016-09-14/mike-mccready-wants-new-temple-of-the-dog-music
    "We're very busy with our band right now and Chris has been on such a long tour, so he's been very busy."
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    to me Backspacer IS experimental. Its mosty very accessible catchy rock tunes with two really good ballads. They were definitely aiming for that and theres nothing wrong with doing that when you still have your ideals. If a Target deal is selling out then you've had a hell of a career. Love that album more than anything theyve done after Yield.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I think it'd be cool if they just booked a weekend to record and release what comes out.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    i foresee an early 2018 release. they may hit the studio to break ground soon but 2017 is pretty full with other things. I'm guessing a huge 2018 Pearl Jam year
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    jp307677 said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

What was wrong with it is that I hate half the songs, haha. ;) I really don't like this cheezy stuff they are doing now, like Sirens and Future Days and SBM, and LTRP is just plain bad. Even the good songs aren't really great. Not compared to what they did before the Backspacer era. Dr. D mentioned creativity. YES, that is what they need to go back to. They need to get weirder, basically. More experimental, more unique in style. Like they used to do.
    I feel that Backspacer and Lightning Bolt are the best albums since Yield. I absolutely love both of them. Backspacer is such a fun, punky record and Lightning Bolt for the most part is just great classic rock.

I'd consider songs like Unthought Known, Just Breathe, Lightning Bolt, and Sirens classics.

Sorry man, that's just a bit of a stretch. Unthought Known and Lightning Bolt feel like recycled versions of one another. They strive to be anthemic rockers- but fizzle out. Sirens is a guilty pleasure of mine. I like the song but I don't think it's a good song. If that makes sense. Just Breathe...sigh. That damn song. I don't hate it because it was a hit. I hate the music, lyrics, production, vocal delivery and placement on the album. BS starts off on fire and then JB happens and the album doesn't recover.
    Alright, enough negativity from me. I think the band has another experimental type album in them. Acoustic and mellow like wilco just did? Could be interesting. Songs like Pendulum and Infallible could have been at home on Binaural. We aren't going to get No Code 2 or Yield 2. They've been done and this is a different band than 20 years ago.
    I think this is an interesting point for the band. They've grown into statesmen of rock and roll. They're there with Bruce and U2. Putting out massive, long chart life albums is unlikely. So, they can really push the envelope if they choose. Or they could kind of go into cruise control mode and churn out albums like the last two.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,901
    Mirrorball....get in there...plug in...and record.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options

Mirrorball....get in there...plug in...and record.

Get in there with Neil Young -- Mirrorball 2.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,695
    It must be pretty sad for those folk who spend every day writing here that they pretty much hate the last two studio albums.

I still really enjoy both, and still maintain that LB is an excellent record full of different styles and great melody
  • Options
    ^^^this

LB is a wide mix of PJ sounds. One of their most "across the board" albums for sure.

BS is a great radio friendly rock album.

Theyre still changing things up for sure. About the only constant is starting off albums with a garage rocker.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,737

^^^this

LB is a wide mix of PJ sounds. One of their most "across the board" albums for sure.

BS is a great radio friendly rock album.

Theyre still changing things up for sure. About the only constant is starting off albums with a garage rocker.

And a slow finisher. These have been some of my favourite songs of the past albums but the last 2 have really been lacking imo.
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    pdalowsky said:

It must be pretty sad for those folk who spend every day writing here that they pretty much hate the last two studio albums.

I still really enjoy both, and still maintain that LB is an excellent record full of different styles and great melody

Amen. I don't care what anyone says, Backspacer is a sick album, some of the best sing-alongs the band has. LB is great, too.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141

jp307677 said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Sorry man, that's just a bit of a stretch. Unthought Known and Lightning Bolt feel like recycled versions of one another. They strive to be anthemic rockers- but fizzle out. Sirens is a guilty pleasure of mine. I like the song but I don't think it's a good song. If that makes sense. Just Breathe...sigh. That damn song. I don't hate it because it was a hit. I hate the music, lyrics, production, vocal delivery and placement on the album. BS starts off on fire and then JB happens and the album doesn't recover.
    Alright, enough negativity from me. I think the band has another experimental type album in them. Acoustic and mellow like wilco just did? Could be interesting. Songs like Pendulum and Infallible could have been at home on Binaural. We aren't going to get No Code 2 or Yield 2. They've been done and this is a different band than 20 years ago.
    I think this is an interesting point for the band. They've grown into statesmen of rock and roll. They're there with Bruce and U2. Putting out massive, long chart life albums is unlikely. So, they can really push the envelope if they choose. Or they could kind of go into cruise control mode and churn out albums like the last two.
    Huge stretch. Binaural and Riot Act are sonically the 2 best 2000's records they've done.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited September 2016

jp307677 said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Huge stretch. Binaural and Riot Act are sonically the 2 best 2000's records they've done.
    We usually agree on a lot but RA isn't one of them, I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to this album...the sad part is I think lyrically its one of the best albums but so dull that I cannot tolerate it

That's the only album that I cannot listen to at all as every other album has a purpose for me even the punky funky fresh Backspacer....I mean how can you not be put into a good mood with that album and then LB if you wanna drive 90mph while listening to Getaway, LB, and MYM

And I think Pendulum could have ended up on No Code, but your assessment isn't far off with it being on Yield

I think the one problem this band has suffered when it comes to albums is the 2nd half of an album gets lost in translation and loses fire from the first half, but that is only one fans opinion and I could be wrong

Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    wgwg Posts: 411
    Riot Act is awesome. I would challenge anyone who doesnt like it to put it in their CD player and listen to it again. 10 times. It took me a minute to truly appreciate it. And i am a firm believer that "its all about WHEN the music hits you". Sometimes its after the first spin... sometimes 10 years later. I hated Jayhawks - Rainy Day Music the first three times I heard it....

I prefer other albums, sure, but Riot Act is great.
  • Options
    Binaural, riot act, and self titled just havent aged well for me. And i dont know why. If i put on Binaural or Riot Act its more to brig me back to those time periods of my life.

Backspacer i thought would be the most disposable PJ album ever but shit its so catchy and light that i can play it anytime.
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,825

I agree these two albums are amazing!!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    jp307677 said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

To each their own. Binaural and Riot Act are PJ's best album IMO, so.... and S/T is in my top 5 too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,437

jp307677 said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I agree.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

jp307677 said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I agree.
    Ditto.
  • Options
    wg said:

Riot Act is awesome. I would challenge anyone who doesnt like it to put it in their CD player and listen to it again. 10 times. It took me a minute to truly appreciate it. And i am a firm believer that "its all about WHEN the music hits you". Sometimes its after the first spin... sometimes 10 years later. I hated Jayhawks - Rainy Day Music the first three times I heard it....

I loved it when it was released, but just hasn't stood the test of time for me. Don't get me wrong, it's PJ so there's some great stuff on there (Can't Keep, LBC, You Are, All or None)...but it does have some of the most forgettable songs of their career on it...and I'm sorry, but I think Help, Help may be the worst song they've ever released on an album (a tie with Marker in the Sand off Avocado)

• Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    jp307677 said:

wg said:

I loved it when it was released, but just hasn't stood the test of time for me. Don't get me wrong, it's PJ so there's some great stuff on there (Can't Keep, LBC, You Are, All or None)...but it does have some of the most forgettable songs of their career on it...and I'm sorry, but I think Help, Help may be the worst song they've ever released on an album (a tie with Marker in the Sand off Avocado)

Isn't it great how we have such wide and varied personal favourites...I love Marker! So much :)
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    jp307677 said:

wg said:

Help, Help & Marker are 2 of my favorite PJ songs! TO each, their own...that's one of the things that's so great about PJ...people gravitate towards very different songs.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Help Help was pretty solid live back on the Riot Act tour.
    I don't get the love for Can't Keep. I can't say I like the full band version or the Ed solo version.
    Since 2000:
    Binaural > Riot Act > Lightning Bolt > Pearl Jam > Backspacer
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,206
    The new album will sound like itself. Not one album is ever remotely identical to the last. The waiting drove me mad.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mschostok said:

pdalowsky said:

Amen. I don't care what anyone says, Backspacer is a sick album, some of the best sing-alongs the band has. LB is great, too.
    Agreed on all points.
    It always amazes me the amount of flack Just Breathe gets. I think it's one of the most beautiful songs they've ever written. Has a Vitalogy vibe to it.
  • Options

mschostok said:

pdalowsky said:

Agreed on all points.
    It always amazes me the amount of flack Just Breathe gets. I think it's one of the most beautiful songs they've ever written. Has a Vitalogy vibe to it.
    Like I said I love the last two albums.
    So...Just Breathe since it was mentioned: Didn't like it at all for quite some time and it ended up growing on me. I thought it just sounded like an Ed leftover from Into the Wild and couldn't believe they released it as a single. Why I now think it's amazing:

- a lot of my family and my fiancé love the song and it's what got them into the band and had them dig deeper and realize how great this thing is

- listen to the words...Ed shines as a songwriter on this one. I'm a big Dylan guy, and this song is on par with genius lyrics. Not to sound too deep or cheesy, but if you've ever lost someone close to you this song is just...wow...am unbelievable song about death and how you can feel when it happens

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    edited September 2016
    joseph33 said:

The new album will sound like itself. Not one album is ever remotely identical to the last. The waiting drove me mad.

You could switch song on BS and LB and most people wouldn't notice it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"