Operation Yellow Ribbon; a PJ inspired non-profit to boost morale of our Brave women/men in uniform

elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
edited November 2020 in Vitalogy
A special thanks to PJ, 10c, Vitalogy Foundation and the Mods for all they do and for these forums.

Operation Yellow Ribbon (www.OperationYellowRibbon.org) is an all-volunteer, 501c3 non-profit that works very hard each and every week to send care packages to our brave women and men serving our great country who are deployed to the Middle East including areas such as Iraq, Afghanistan, Jordan, Kuwait, Qatar, and more. Every penny raised goes to our care package expenses as we spend over 6K a month on shipping and purchasing the care package items.

Care package recipients have included many Pearl Jam fans or relatives of PJ fans including members of these forums here.

This non-profit is inspired by this amazing band as they speak and have spoken out for our Veterans and those that who have or had protected and provided our daily freedoms.

A tremendous thanks to all the PJ fans who have assisted with fund-raising by donating merch, participating in fundraising events and more.

-EV
Post edited by elwayvedder on

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    OYR? Never heard of it.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Wonderful man and group of people here in South Jersey - see EV for the many ways you can assist
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Yes! My cousin received one of these care packages, and to this day, still talks about what it meant to him! You are truly an inspiration! Thank you for working so hard to brighten the days of our service men and women!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Great charity, and elwayvedder is our shining example of active dedication to a cause.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

Great charity, and elwayvedder is our shining example of active dedication to a cause.

Agree. :bow:
    Red Rocks 6/19/95 * Rapid City 6/24/98 * EV Vegas 11/1/12 * EV Tulsa 11/19/12 * Wrigley Field 7/19/13 * Brooklyn 10/19/13 * Philly 10/21/13 * Philly 10/22/13 * Hartford 10/25/13 * OKC 11/16/13 * Tulsa 10/8/2014 * Lincoln 10/9/2014 * Moline 10/17/2014 * St Paul 10/19/2014 * Greenville 4/16/16 * Philly 4/28/16 * Philly 4/29/16 * MSG 5/1/16 * MSG 5/2/16 * Wrigley 8/20/16 * Seattle 8/8/18 * Seattle 8/10/18 * Wrigley 8/18/18 * Asbury Park 9/18/21
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    :clap:
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• armyfanarmyfan Posts: 342
    I love elwayvedder!! And hes da man for what he does!! A true man among men!! Keep it up my brotha!!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    YES
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,221
    Ooh Rah!
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • A great charity...for a great cause...run by a great human being. I am honored to have donated a bit this year and cannot wait until next tour when I can once again do whatever I can to assist ElwayVedder & his OYR.
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Yes! My cousin received one of these care packages, and to this day, still talks about what it meant to him! You are truly an inspiration! Thank you for working so hard to brighten the days of our service men and women!

That's awesome!

Love what OYR is doing!
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
  • I personally can attest to the dedication ElwayVedder gives to this organization. His devotion to helping others even beyond his OYR is nothing less than mind boggling. The man is inspiring. And he's a blood donor too, which is one of my personal passions.
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    That feeling I had the night EV, his wife, OYR, and Warriors' Watch Riders caught my girlfriend (who's a vet) and I by surprise by doing one of those famous Mug and Hugs for us, is one of the best feelings I've ever had my entire life and I'm sure the same goes for my girl. What I find crazy is it all started with EV trying to find a Philly 1 ticket for me last spring. My love for PJ led me to OYR and that's just one of the many ways this great band connects all of us.

EV, you're one of the most selfless people I know, man and I'm glad I stumbled upon this great organization. Looking forward to many future events with you and OYR!
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited September 2016
    Operation Yellow Ribbon -- a charity that provides care packages to our troops overseas. People can feel free to paypal http://www.operationyellowribbonsouthjersey.org/ or they can mail checks to:

OYRSJ
    PO BOX 43
    Marlton, NJ 08053
    Post edited by cutz on
  • cutz said:

Operation Yellow Ribbon -- a charity that provides care packages to our troops overseas. People can feel free to paypal: OperationYellowRibbonSJ@gmail.com or they can mail checks to:

OYRSJ
    PO BOX 43
    Marlton, NJ 08053

This needs to be repeated^^^
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention, elwayvedder .
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

That feeling I had the night EV, his wife, OYR, and Warriors' Watch Riders caught my girlfriend (who's a vet) and I by surprise by doing one of those famous Mug and Hugs for us, is one of the best feelings I've ever had my entire life and I'm sure the same goes for my girl. What I find crazy is it all started with EV trying to find a Philly 1 ticket for me last spring. My love for PJ led me to OYR and that's just one of the many ways this great band connects all of us.

EV, you're one of the most selfless people I know, man and I'm glad I stumbled upon this great organization. Looking forward to many future events with you and OYR!

Great post! And great organization :)
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    What non PJ items are in these care packages?

Have you put up pix of these packages?
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    I donated for the first time recently. Great cause!!!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    OYR is my favorite.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • LanaJayLanaJay Posts: 524
    Our troops, our heroes!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    edited October 2016
    I went to Shoprite in town where I grew up yesterday. Dad still lives in the area, was picking up a few items before my visit. Outside the store I was approached by a young man from OYR handing me a list of needed items for donation. In the store I encountered the one and only ElwayVedder. Immediately I said, I should have known it was you behind this. This is a man who truly walks the walk, I've known him for years now. His giving of his time and effort to help others is mind boggling as well as contagious. You are an angel among us Dave. I could say keep up the good work, but there's no doubt you will. God bless you and yours.
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040

I went to Shoprite in town where I grew up yesterday. Dad still lives in the area, was picking up a few items before my visit. Outside the store I was approached by a young man from OYR handing me a list of needed items for donation. In the store I encountered the one and only ElwayVedder. Immediately I said, I should have known it was you behind this. This is a man who truly walks the walk, I've known him for years now. His giving of his time and effort to help others is mind boggling as well as contagious. You are an angel among us Dave. I could say keep up the good work, but there's no doubt you will. God bless you and yours.

Who do I make the check out to Marsha? Lol. Thank you for the kind words and great seeing you
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Beautiful, P & E :)

did that "young" man happen to have a terrible mustache? haha
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

Living in this area, I have rolled up to a Shoprite more than once, not recalling it was an OYR collection day, and have seen Dave there.
    Odds are good at seeing Dave out helping others at any point here in South Jersey. :rock_on:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

Was that you? Nice meet you (again). I've been around this place for years, always nice to meet another member. Thanks for the work you do too.

Living in this area, I have rolled up to a Shoprite more than once, not recalling it was an OYR collection day, and have seen Dave there.
    Odds are good at seeing Dave out helping others at any point here in South Jersey. :rock_on:
    I first met him when he coordinated ALL 4 Spectrum closing pre parties. I donated some PJ items so I met him personally. Coordinating those events period took a huge personal effort and they were a phenomenal success. Over the years, I've donated cash, food items and even cooked a full turkey dinner and fixings for his feed the needy campaign during the holidays. The man NEVER stops. He's probably even donated more blood than me and that is one of my true passions, and one I encourage anyone who can can to do so.

You've inspired me again Dave, I need to do more. I'm not wealthy but I can give my time. I'll be in touch. i hope those reading this get the itch to do more too.

Was that you? Nice meet you (again). I've been around this place for years, always nice to meet another member. Thanks for the work you do too.
    Hahaha Yeah that was probably me. If you're the lady Dave introduced to me, then yes, it was me. Guess I'm also the only one with a terrible 'stache. Nice to meet you too and please, it's the least I could do for my deployed brothers and sisters. Thank you for your support.
    Yes I would be that lady.