*** Wrigley 2 Chicago, IL Fanviews Here 8/22/16 ***

Comments

• slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740

jp307677 said:

What an awesome show. Honestly this entire tour has been something else. I managed to get to four shows including Wrigley 1 and 2 and they were all amazing. Wrigley 2's setlist was on another level but I enjoyed Wrigley 1 more as I was in GA for that one. I think Wrigley 2 would have topped Wrigley 1 for me even though I was in the stands if not for the fact that the guys behind me couldn't stop talking during most songs. I mean seriously, who needs to be having a conversation during Footsteps or Of the Earth?! Minor annoyances aside, this show was absolutely incredible.

I had a few guys like that in front of me and I couldn't stand it...especially during the softer songs. I couldn't take it anymore during "Man of the Hour" and just started screaming the songs as load as I could literally right in their ears and between their faces every time they started talking again. They got the hint
    Trying this next time!
    Same. I'll never understand someone who comes to a show only to talk through the entire thing!
    It's called socializing with the people you came to the show with. Talking, laughing and singing is part of the show. Not everyone hangs on every word Eddie says.
    I like to socialize with the people I go to the movies with. I can't understand why the strangers around me seem to think I'm an asshole.
    Worst. Comparison. Ever.
    I'm seriously floored you think it's OK to chatter through the entirety of a three-hour show? Sing along? Sure. Cheer? Sure. Scream your fucking head off? Absolutely. Make a comment or two to the person next to you? Knock yourself out.

Nobody is asking for complete silence.

But if you're gabbing about the weather and the Kardashians or whatever the hell else for the duration of a show, you're fucking it up for the people around you. It's a pretty evident party foul.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Flew out from Philly to see the Wrigley field show! Wow what an awesome once in a lifetime experience. Met some really cool people from all over along the way, Brendan from NY you were a cool person to share a drink with and concert experiences before the show. Party on!
  • Dobber1Dobber1 Wisconsin, USA Posts: 11
    I'm still not sure I can accurately describe my thoughts on the show (or the weekend in general) with words......unreal. While I was a bit disappointed that 10C tix were WAY up in 433/431, I did think it was cool that there were a dozen or so fellow 10C's that moved from 433 Sat to 431 Mon from similar spots, it was like meeting up with old friends. We had someone with an empty seat between us for a friend/relative that was supposed to attend but passed away earlier this summer. When Ed did the tribute early in the show (I thought he said Paul and Joey), it easily could have been this guy but wasn't.....tears running down his cheeks the entire song, beer nod to the sky, etc. Very touching to see.....PJ deeply influences many of us for many different reasons.
    Milwaukee 7-9-1995 East Troy 6-27-98 East Troy 10-8-2000 East Troy 9-4-2011 Milwaukee 10-20-2014 Chicago 8-20-16 Chicago 8-22-16
  • childofthemoonchildofthemoon Detroit Posts: 60
    Since the video of Eddie stopping Lukin has gone somewhat mainstream....many people who weren't at the show are saying that the whole incident looks "staged" and "fake"? I was down in the GA, it looked pretty darn real to me.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600

Since the video of Eddie stopping Lukin has gone somewhat mainstream....many people who weren't at the show are saying that the whole incident looks "staged" and "fake"? I was down in the GA, it looked pretty darn real to me.

Staged? Who the hell is saying that??
  • I hope this will mean the end of Pearl Jam at Wrigley Field....I get the whole charm of the venue and the area (I've lived 2 miles away for 8 years) but I really want a two night stand at Alpine, Allstate, or even United Center next year. Baseball stadiums are just not good places for major rock concerts,

I went to Fenway 2 and Wrigley 2 and thought it was great. Sound was great. Great shows. I'd also never been to either park before. Seat location obviously changes the experience. From where I was everything was great.

I'm from Seattle, so for my own selfish reasons I'd love a residency at the Gorge, Paramount, Safeco, or Key Arena. Hell I'd even take a giant stadium show at Centrurylink. Doesn't everyone want a residency in their home town?

I hope this will mean the end of Pearl Jam at Wrigley Field....I get the whole charm of the venue and the area (I've lived 2 miles away for 8 years) but I really want a two night stand at Alpine, Allstate, or even United Center next year. Baseball stadiums are just not good places for major rock concerts,

I went to Fenway 2 and Wrigley 2 and thought it was great. Sound was great. Great shows. I'd also never been to either park before. Seat location obviously changes the experience. From where I was everything was great.

I'm from Seattle, so for my own selfish reasons I'd love a residency at the Gorge, Paramount, Safeco, or Key Arena. Hell I'd even take a giant stadium show at Centrurylink. Doesn't everyone want a residency in their home town?

A residency ANYWHERE would be awesome. 20 nights at the Fillmore, east or west... Seattle, the Ritz, doesn't matter. If it's good enough for Petty and the Allmans, then PJ can do it too!
  • bmaguirebmaguire Detroit Posts: 119
    WOW, WOW, WOW..

It may have been my best show ever and Lollapalooza 92 and Toledo 2004 were at the top.

The SET LIST...the whole weekend was amazing...I was at show 1 and the last this tour for a total of 6 shows. this set list was the best of any show I ever seen. Immortality, Rear view Mirror, and Man of the Hour were awesome. (see my Discussion Petition to play MAN OF THE HOUR at show 2 at Wrigley.) I was at Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Toronto and of course Chicago I and II...worth every penny spent.

To start, TY Chicago what a great, fun, city. Thank you Pearl Jam from show one at Fort Lauderdale to the closing weekend at Wrigley. The old stadium gave me goose bumps at I walked the ramp to section 411 (we went lower bowl soon after) my buddy from Birmingham Alabama said, " I never seen a stadium like this." I told him, It reminded me of being a kid and walking into the Old Tiger Stadium in Detroit, it was set up he same way. I was at both shows this weekend. Saturday was a truly awesome, weekend, night. The rain held off, the electricity was there, a proposal on stage, Steve Gleason saying, " Right now, I feel fucking awesome," but night two was the close of the tour, the end of the Show weekend and the best set I ever heard.

As some of you might have hear or read, I played Man Of the Hour at the wake of my dad's wake of his funeral. I started a petition for them to play it, Night II and low and behold they played it. It made my eyes water and goose bumps dance on my skin. I dont know if someone told them, if they read it, or it was song by chance, but THANK YOU PEARL JAM....I never had the words and lyrics of a song hit me like that night Monday.

I will never forget that memory, the fun, the excitement, the SET LIST,the friends I made, and all the fun in Chicago spotting the band at Murphys, Dennis Rodman, and all the fans, to 10club to the Cubs we are all one, from Brazil to Detroit, and from Seattle to Mexico City PJ rocked Chicago, the United States and our WORLD. What a tour, what a Weekend.

THANKS PEARL JAM !!!

2018 Chicago, IL
    2018 Seattle, WA
    2016 Fort Lauderdale, FL
    2016 Miami, FL
    2016 Tampa, FL
    2016 Toronto, Canada II
    2016 Chicago, IL I
    2016 Chicago, IL II
    2014 Detroit, MI
    2006 Cleveland, OH
    2004 Toldeo, OH
    2003 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998 Lansing, MI
    1998 Auburn Hills, MI
    1992 Clarkston, MI
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    edited August 2016

There is no fucking way that was staged. What are people smoking?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

Totally..in the end it looks like it was just a very drunk, mad, meathead. Typicall rock show shit. Did ed stop him from more?? Perhaps but who knows.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    edited August 2016
    obinder26 said:

What's that VIP pass for? Can't make it out on my phone.

Kingston Mines
    Only seats for Wilco.
    Wma31394 said:

edwho said:

photo tixweek82016b_zpssyfocris.jpg

Not a bad week, yours was probably better =)

Well done!! How did you like pritzker pavillion?
    Pearl Jam announced first and then it just all snowballed.
    Love everything about Millennium Park! Big change from the 60’s.
    Edit: Pritzker Pavilion? I wouldn’t mind an all acoustic PJ show there. And soon :)
    Post edited by edwho on

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Can anyone tell me who played Mike's guitar during the encore both nights? Guy with the hat...

excuse my ignorance...

Can anyone tell me who played Mike's guitar during the encore both nights? Guy with the hat...

excuse my ignorance...

Tim DiJulio - Flight to Mars... and pizza ownership in Seattle...
  • pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 159
    edited August 2016
    Post deleted by Admin. See the Posting Guidelines
    Be nice. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. etc..
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
    Post edited by Sea on
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427

ehbacon said:

jp307677 said:

What an awesome show. Honestly this entire tour has been something else. I managed to get to four shows including Wrigley 1 and 2 and they were all amazing. Wrigley 2's setlist was on another level but I enjoyed Wrigley 1 more as I was in GA for that one. I think Wrigley 2 would have topped Wrigley 1 for me even though I was in the stands if not for the fact that the guys behind me couldn't stop talking during most songs. I mean seriously, who needs to be having a conversation during Footsteps or Of the Earth?! Minor annoyances aside, this show was absolutely incredible.

I had a few guys like that in front of me and I couldn't stand it...especially during the softer songs. I couldn't take it anymore during "Man of the Hour" and just started screaming the songs as load as I could literally right in their ears and between their faces every time they started talking again. They got the hint
    Trying this next time!
    Same. I'll never understand someone who comes to a show only to talk through the entire thing!
    It's called socializing with the people you came to the show with. Talking, laughing and singing is part of the show. Not everyone hangs on every word Eddie says.
    I like to socialize with the people I go to the movies with. I can't understand why the strangers around me seem to think I'm an asshole.
    Worst. Comparison. Ever.
    You and everyone around you payed $90+ to listen to the music that is playing, so do that and talk to the people afterwards. Be courteous to those around you and don't be a dick, it's that simple.
    I paid $90 just like everyone else. If I want to laugh and talk and sing with my friends I haven't been with in a long time I will. Will I yell and scream during a soft song?, of course not. Will I talk when I want, damn right I will. Will I tell you to kiss my ass when you sshhh me like a three year, absolutely.
    If only there was a way to group people like you all in the same section... sounds like you'd barely notice that the collective sound of all your talking drowns out the music for those around you, and the rest of us would be left in peace. That would be fair... maybe technology will allow a way to "tag" loud people and have that influence your seat location like seniority does in 10Club? One can dream...
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    edited August 2016
    Post deleted by Admin
    Post edited by Sea on
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• Wma31394 said:

Totally..in the end it looks like it was just a very drunk, mad, meathead. Typicall rock show shit. Did ed stop him from more?? Perhaps but who knows.
    Watch Ed's reactions/eyes. Staged? Its amazing how stupid can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=LQw3cuQz_Fk
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    edited August 2016
    nycrats said:

Sea said:

04. Better Man
    (Ed sings the words, “Summer whoa oh oh, Summertime oh”)

I think he was singing "Summertime Rolls"... the Jane's Addiction song.

thanks for posting. i didnt go but was going to ask if this is what it was when i read the review.
    mrussel1 said:

One of my friends who was seeing PJ for the first time this past weekend actually asked me the same question. I looked at her like "Why would someone "stage" something like that?" She had just thought it was strange for that to happen and then pick up the song right where they had left off. I told her that's what a real band can do when they've been playing together for as long as these guys have.
    Post edited by Red Mosqito on

nycrats said:

Sea said:

04. Better Man
    (Ed sings the words, “Summer whoa oh oh, Summertime oh”)

I think he was singing "Summertime Rolls"... the Jane's Addiction song.

thanks for posting. i didnt go but was going to ask if this is what it was when i read the review.
    mrussel1 said:

One of my friends who was seeing PJ for the first time this past weekend actually asked me the same question. I looked at her like "Why would someone "stage" something like that?"
    I've seen it happen several times, most recently in Hampton. It also happened in LA and Charlottesville in 2013. Those incidents were right in front of me. No staging.

I was in the pit again on Monday for this one but too far away to see the incident. Not for a second did I question its validity.
  • JF157715JF157715 Posts: 40
    JH6056 said:

JF157715 said:

Wow, what a great show. Almost too many highlights to mention: "Black Red Yellow", "Deep", "Of The Earth", "Man Of The Hour" (such a beautiful performance - even in a noisy baseball stadium), "Sonic Reducer", "Blood". I thought "Surrender" definitely sounded better on Night 2. "All The Way" gets to me every time, especially with that Cubs video playing along with it (those dirty, rotten, manipulative, button-pushing bastards...LOL). And what a treat to hear "I Got A Feeling" to close it all out. I really hope they don't hold back the boots on these 4 baseball shows. Maybe they'll do a box set like Philly 09.

Two random thoughts:

1) Is it just me or did anyone else think that Matt was just insanely, off-the-charts great tonight? His playing under Mike's solo in "Even Flow" was mind-blowing. "Of The Earth", "Blood"... he totally killed it all night long, start to finish. The dude's a badass.

2) Did anyone notice that the band wore the same clothes for both Wrigley nights? Mike's Clash "Sandinista" Tour shirt, Ed's Murphy's Bleachers shirt, Matt's "hand" shirt...As far as I know there are only two reasons why big time rock bands wear the same clothes two nights in a row: a) they're Kiss, or b) they want to preserve the ability to combine performances from both shows into a single concert video. Not sure if it's going to happen, obviously, but it's an interesting clue that they might be thinking that way.

Thank you, PJ, Ten Club and fellow jammers for two more great nights.

You left out the 3rd classic reason for the bolded, though it probably doesn't apply to PJ in this case: c) The band partied so hard after Wrigley 1, they pulled 2 all-nighters and didn't shower or change before Wrigley 2. Happens to other bands waaaaaay more often than wanting to combine songs into one concert video ;)

In all seriousness though, I hope you're right about the video! Although it could turn out after all this time that they're KISS...
    HA! Never thought of that. Aw, hell. These guys are family men in their 50s. They'd never do a thing like that (pause...) would they? ;)
    2003 - Chicago (6/18 - United Center)
    2006 - Chicago 1 (5/16 - United Center), Chicago 2 (5/17 - United Center)
    2009 - Chicago 1 (8/23 - United Center), Chicago 2 (8/24 - United Center)
    2013 - Chicago (7/19 - Wrigley Field)
    2014 - Moline (10/17 - iWireless Center), Milwaukee (10/20 - Bradley Arena)
    2016 - New York City 1 (5/1 - MSG), New York City 2 (5/2 - MSG), Chicago 1 (8/20 - Wrigley Field), Chicago 2 (8/22 - Wrigley Field)
    2018 - Chicago 1 (8/18 - Wrigley Field), Chicago 2 (8/20 - Wrigley Field)
  • Since PJDB has not yet updated the details of the last two shows, I made my own account, and I got 23 new songs between the last two shows. Wow!, what a treat!
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    Magical....
    Took me 28 shows, but I finally heard Oceans. Energy was great from both band and crowd. Covering my hometown boys Cheap Trick, and I Got A Feeling really put this one over the top for me. Don't Gimme No Lip and Red Black Yellow were awesome surprises. Couldn't have asked for a better show... Thank you Pearl Jam!
  • swany24swany24 Posts: 52
    edited August 2016
    Post deleted by Admin.
    Post edited by Sea on
  • lpeddlelpeddle Posts: 293
    elen said:

Absolutely awesome! I still have no words...
    Second row in the GA, Stone's side, behind the Italian group who got Ed's signature on the tambourine during YLB. Great job Giorgio!
    We met a lot of cool people (if you are reading: Melissa & Lindsay from southern Ontario, Ross & Melissa and the woman right behind me who was in Milan in 2014 - so sorry I forgot your name...). We took good care of each other and the night has been amazing!
    Setlist was insane. The energy was so high.
    My first time Oceans...
    Blood was sick! My husband and I started thinking about it on Saturday, considering how good Ed was singing.
    Spending a lot oh hours in the GA line was worth it (hello to my line friends too: Valerie, Annie and Sheila and their husbands - Valerie if you know the "Evenbos thing" maybe you'll read this!).
    What a night.
    What a band!
    Ballparks tour is now over, we had four unforgettable nights.

Hi Elena! It's Lindsay :). It was so nice meeting you as well!! I had an absolute BLAST! Gotta be my all-time favourite show. The energy was insane. I'm still on a high from that night. From the whole weekend really!!

• elen said:

Absolutely awesome! I still have no words...
    Second row in the GA, Stone's side, behind the Italian group who got Ed's signature on the tambourine during YLB. Great job Giorgio!
    We met a lot of cool people (if you are reading: Melissa & Lindsay from southern Ontario, Ross & Melissa and the woman right behind me who was in Milan in 2014 - so sorry I forgot your name...). We took good care of each other and the night has been amazing!
    Setlist was insane. The energy was so high.
    My first time Oceans...
    Blood was sick! My husband and I started thinking about it on Saturday, considering how good Ed was singing.
    Spending a lot oh hours in the GA line was worth it (hello to my line friends too: Valerie, Annie and Sheila and their husbands - Valerie if you know the "Evenbos thing" maybe you'll read this!).
    What a night.
    What a band!
    Ballparks tour is now over, we had four unforgettable nights.

Hey Elena!!!
    It's Melissa (1)... I was there with Lindsay.
    It was an absolute pleasure meeting you and the rest of our little group. You are all the exact definition of Jamily.... I've never felt safer at a concert in a pit...

Lindsay have already talked about the next time the guys hit Europe....pretty sure we will be there!! This experience was off the charts!!

The guys blew Wrigley apart on Monday night....

Hope to chat with you again.
    Please look me up on Facebook and shoot me a message!

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Some pics :smiley: OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!

Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • CameronsStixCameronsStix Des Moines Posts: 4
    A historic show with amazing camaraderie!

Only 12 people in the stadium knew who originally performed Time Has Come and half of them were in the band (Only half kidding) but I'd bet many die hard PJ fans didn't recognize the Chambers Brothers song. I had to look it up, but my traveling companion was able to share some backstory of the band on the trip home.
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,307
    edited August 2016
    It was good, but I'll take show 1.....just my preference, and yes I was at both in GA. Only song I'd never seen before was BLack Red Yellow
    Post edited by gotthebottle on
  • mill070995mill070995 Wisconsin Posts: 28
    I had goosebumps during Oceans, Footsteps, and Off He Goes. Corduroy-> Animal were fast, intense, and reminded me of my first 2 shows in 95 and 98. I Am Mine is one of my top songs and Ed’s talk prior to that made it very emotional. Ed stopping during Lukin, taking charge of the situation, and then playing the last couple seconds of the song is what makes this band so great. I was about 14 rows back and saw security drag the woman in trouble over the rail. That didn’t look fake to me and it seems more likely that the people saying it was fake are fake. Busting into Mind Your Manners and Rearviewmirror after that got the energy going again. Set 1 rocked the house.

I really enjoyed Throw Your Arms Around Me and Man of the Hour, and then how they really tore shit up in Even Flow and in Blood. Boom went to town during Crazy Mary, Alive is always special for me, and I liked how they put Time Has Come Today and I’ve Got A Feeling in between RITFW and Ledbetter. This was my 10th show. I was worried that it would not be as good as Wrigley 1 since I did not go to that concert, or as good as shows 1-9, or that there would be d-bags around me that large pit that would ruin the show for me or my friends. But I really enjoyed the show, and it has its own unique place in my list. Now I just have to get on with it until my next PJ fix. Anyway, thanks Pearl Jam, thanks Ten Club, and thanks to the awesome fans that went to see their favorite band!
    Milwaukee 7-9-95; East Troy 6-26-98; East Troy 10-8-00; Milwaukee 6-29-06; Milwaukee 6-30-06; East Troy 9-3-11; East Troy 9-4-11; Portland 11-29-13; Milwaukee 10-20-14; Chicago 8-22-16; Seattle 8-8-18; Seattle 8-10-18; Chicago 8-18-18
    (Ed) Milwaukee 8-19-08; Phoenix 11-4-12
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    The drunken evenbro quotient was much lower on night two, and for that I am thankful..,.,,