*** Wrigley 2 Chicago, IL Fanviews Here 8/22/16 ***

Comments

• slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    Lestat997 said:

Awesome show, but all you people in the pit sucked, never been around so many ass holes. Zero respect for others. Sorry if I blocked your view for a second or wanted to get closer for a few songs. Get ahold of yourselves no reason to get so shitty. You all suck

Our area of the pit was one of the more awesome concert experience of my life. Guess it depends on where you were standing.

Also ... when you say you "want to get closer for a few songs" it sort of sounds like you might have been the problem.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
    aghani said:

All I can say is that it was a pleasure to be in the building. The joy and catharsis among the crowd was truly special. 45,000 people singing their hearts out, people of many shapes, sizes, and colors. Times are weird and tough and it can make you cynical, I personally needed that uplift yesterday. This was like a massive bearhug among a stadium full of people. We didn't want to leave. I could have stayed for another 3 hours. It was a bonding moment for me and my wife and friends, and was just a cathertic and loving atmosphere. I'm sure everyone can attest to the feeling in the air and in the building last night. There was just this undescribable feeling of community and love and bonding. I don't want to forget it. I'll come back and do a more detailed review of both nights but I just wanted to get my thoughts down. Night 1 had some emotional peaks that can't be surpassed and Night 2 was a totally different animal with a non-stop avalanche of rockers, ballads, and bangers that immediately whipped the crowd into a delirious frenzy that sustained us the whole show. I am so proud to be a fan of this band and a part of this community.

All of this. And it's the reason it really doesn't matter which songs they play or don't. The first set was phenomenal. Phenomenal. Even if it was packed with older songs I'd already heard before. It was perfect.
  • djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Hail, Hail the Lucky Ones - myself included!

Flew up from Phoenix for this one show (in hindsight, i should have put in for both Wrigley shows), but I still feel very fortunate to have gotten to see night 2!

Such a treat to finally see/hear Oceans and Deep for the first time live and in person. My 9th Pearl Jam show - and what a show!

I could reiterate everything said above and more. So, here's random thoughts:

Got nervous outside Wrigley when the security lines were holding everyone up, but it all worked out nicely!

Footsteps was a nice treat as was Of the Earth

Wondering if we'll ever find out the identity of the cat that got booted.

My wife was a fucking trooper!

A little too much drinking around us. Lady behind us had her head down in her lap the entire show... We think she threw up, then left after Alive... What a waste of a ticket

Great reserved seats, but I think next time I'll aim for GA!

Cannot begin to explain how marvelous the setting was, the lights on the crowd, the positive vibe... So fortunate to have been there!

Cannot WAIT for the official boot!

Thank you Ten Club! Thank you Pearl Jam!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    I'm not one of those who will camp out for first row but ... the difference between where I was last night in GA -- about 10-12 feet from the stage between Stone and Ed -- and where I sat for night 1 (Field W) was palpable.

There's so much energy flowing off the stage and into those first few rows of the crowd and back again. Every song was a singalong. It was exactly what I want in a communal rock show experience. That feeling of "I don't know you and you don't know me but we're all in this thing together." There's something so human about that.

I'm a big fan of GA, though not necessarily of camping out. ;)
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Jason P said:

Lestat997 said:

Awesome show, but all you people in the pit sucked, never been around so many ass holes. Zero respect for others. Sorry if I blocked your view for a second or wanted to get closer for a few songs. Get ahold of yourselves no reason to get so shitty. You all suck

Excuse me Sir but it might be you that sucks. Why would you block peoples view? Why shove others out of their space for your own benefit? Please give us a break.
    The meat head mentality that other people are a-holes because they don't let you push their way in front of them is why I avoid GA.
    It's not for me I guess. I guess I've never tried the method of not drinking anything after 1pm and getting in line early to get close. I don't really want to stand for several hours without moving to save a spot. I sure as hell wouldn't fight my way in and out of 20 rows of people to get out of or back to my spot.

At arena shows with GA I tend to just hang out near the back of the GA crowd and enjoy the show. I can get a beer, use the restroom, etc. I hate missing a good song (I missed most of 1/2 full at Lexington and I missed Sad at Wrigley 1) at a restroom/beer run which pisses me off but that's how I like to enjoy the show. I have a few beers and have a good time. I try not to get in anyone's way and I expect others to do the same.

At Wrigley 1 we started off in GA on Stone's side probably 20 rows back. Two dipshits just moved right in front of us (the 6-8 inches of personal space I was trying to maintain) then once the music starts they are consistently leaning back and bumping into us. Just burns my ass. Instead of enjoying myself I'm annoyed as hell. We moved but it was absolute hell getting out of that spot over to Mike's side where there was access to restrooms, etc.

I'll still use GA in arenas but I think I'm done with GA at stadiums.

Of course you can run into assholes in reserved seating as well. We went to GNR at Soldier Field last month and douchebags from rows behind us kept coming up to our row (we were front row seating in one of the rear reserved spots on the floor) like they owned our seats. Security kicked them out a few times. One guy was so drunk he just kept hitting me whenever he felt like it.

People suck.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Yeah, if you want to continue drinking during the show, GA can be problematic. Not judging. I do this at other GA-type shows. For PJ, I generally do what I gotta do to pregame beforehand, but once I get in the venue around 6:30, I don't buy anything else. I spend the next hour pissing out everything I can so I don't have to make a run during the show.

It worked both nights at Wrigley. It's a good system.
  • chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    Amazing no holds barred straight up rock show. First base side - 12 rows up. Crowd around us was great. Everyone had a good time and were polite. 2 shows I'll never forget.

What's up with the dick-brain during Lukin? Seriously? Getting called out by Ed in front of 40,000 people?

Loser!

Moline still the pinnacle for me but these last 2 shows easily 2-3.

Thanks PJ.
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    A blessed PJ experience last night in GA - thanks to everyone!!!
  • I was 2nd row directly in front of stone and our area was awesome. Watching out for each other, no shoving or crowding.

I couldn't believe the set list. I kept saying "holy shit" when the next song would start. Being nearly 20 years the younger of the band, I was amazed at the energy they sustained. I've seen shows where the hard songs are executed well but are restrained, but there was magic of 100% passion and execution. I can't imagine a show getting better than this.
  • crober72crober72 Bartlett, IL Posts: 74
    Such a great weekend. Took my wife to her first show on Saturday -- she is admittedly not a fan, and only came along because it was at Wrigley. Her observations 1) still doesn't know what Eddie is saying 2) she made lots of friends waiting in the mercy line to get me a shirt (did I mention she is awesome?) 3) the band seem like they are having so much fun, and 4) the really cool thing is that most of the people in the stadium are laid back, happy to be here and just happy to hear these songs played by this band. Those last two kinda sum it up for me.

I didn't think night 2 had a prayer of holding up to night 1. Glad to be wrong. Between the two shows, got most of the bucket list songs that I want to hear. My 10 year old niece was there with her dad for her first show. I asked her what song she wanted and she said "sonic reducer" without hesitation. Wish I'd have been sitting with them as they kicked that one off.

Hard to decide where this one ranks in my 7 shows. Always feel like I've just seen the best show after each one so I guess that tells you a lot about PJ's live show.
  • Lestat997 said:

That was a little harsh.
    My buddy who was in the pit reported the same thing. Lots of d-bags, men and women, pushing to get in front of others or showing disrespect to people around them. Maybe a lot of GA tickets were resold second-hand? I was in reserved and the fans around me were incredible and we had a blast.
  • fumasanfumasan Madison WI Posts: 11
    That the band can keep themselves open to the breadth of their catalog and dust off some old souvenirs is wonderful. I'm still learning, I'm still enjoying, I'm still discovering something new in the songs and myself. Theirs is a well-practiced, gracious state of being. Thanks guys.
    1998 - STL; 2000 - CIN, CLB, STL; 2003 - LEX, STL, CHM; 2004 - STL; 2006 - CHI #2; 2009 - CHI #1; 2010 - STL; 2013 - CHI; 2016 - CHI #2; 2018 - CHI (1,2)
  • kjkroll2kjkroll2 Posts: 2
    edited August 2016
    When eddie went around with the wine bottle, he got to me and I'm 25 but look 16 so he starts to pour and looks at me and says I need to see some ID so I only got a few drops. Luckily my girlfriend got a half a cup which was mightly enjoyed by both of us. Thank you PJ for another memory of a lifetime.
    Post edited by kjkroll2 on
  • BOOOOOOOMMMM!! Was on fire last night!
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348

Sea said:

04. Better Man
    (Ed sings the words, “Summer whoa oh oh, Summertime oh”)

I think he was singing "Summertime Rolls"... the Jane's Addiction song.

thanks for posting. i didnt go but was going to ask if this is what it was when i read the review.
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
    and were people heading for the doors as yl ended or was it obvious that another song was coming?

what a treat that must have been to get i got a feeling
    kjkroll2 said:

When eddie went around with the wine bottle, he got to me and I'm 25 but look 16 so he starts to pour and looks at me and says I need to see some ID

occupational hazard... didnt ed used to be a bouncer or something?

pretty funny he carded you at the show!
  • childofthemoonchildofthemoon Detroit Posts: 60
    I hope this will mean the end of Pearl Jam at Wrigley Field....I get the whole charm of the venue and the area (I've lived 2 miles away for 8 years) but I really want a two night stand at Alpine, Allstate, or even United Center next year. Baseball stadiums are just not good places for major rock concerts,
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    I still can't put it into words. Last night may have been the best show I've ever seen. OCEANS (completed Ten for me, at my tenth show), Footsteps, State Of Love And Trust, Immortality, Black Red & Yellow (with a Dennis Rodman appearance on stage), Deep, I Am Mine, Of The Earth, Throw Your Arms Around Me, Don't Gimme No Lip (Stone singing!!!!!), BLOOD!!! Greatest band on the fucking planet!
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • morris1031morris1031 Posts: 26
    edited August 2016
    Catharsis is the best word for this night. This show was the feeling of listening to Ten on repeat ad infinitum through most of the 90's (then Vs. and Vitalogy and those that followed.) This show was the feeling of blasting Rearviewmirror on every "clear my head" drive for the past 23 years. Singing along to every word with a group of "my people" in the open air on one of the most beautiful nights of my life. Listening to the band sounding as good or better than ever before. The ebbs and flows of soft to intense and back again, never knowing what would come next. All the emotions. All the joy and sorrow and excitement and connectedness. Thank you to everyone involved for sharing in the journey.
    Post edited by morris1031 on
  • My wife and I just went to our first show last night. After the years of waiting and anticipation, the reward well outweighed the torment of the wait. After 100s of shows from other bands, My first Pearl Jam show is the greatest show I've ever seen....Period.
  • chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    imbroken said:

My wife and I just went to our first show last night. After the years of waiting and anticipation, the reward well outweighed the torment of the wait. After 100s of shows from other bands, My first Pearl Jam show is the greatest show I've ever seen....Period.

kick ass! congrats! welcome to the club!
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Glad u enjoyed it Whitey, the set list was one of a kind. #shouldawenttoshows109&110@wrigley

and we may never meet again....

doesnt get any better than last night. for me, the most emotional show i have ever experienced. my mind is fucked.

we're all allowed to dream of the next time we touch. please stand by the shore, i will be there once more....

• zepcowboy23zepcowboy23 Chicago Posts: 13
    I know Tim DiJulio was on stage for RitFW, but who was the younger guy also on guitar?
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,290

I know Tim DiJulio was on stage for RitFW, but who was the younger guy also on guitar?

Matt Cameron's son, Ray
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• eloviateeloviate Posts: 58
    In town from UK with my buddy from Egypt to see these two shows from GA - met brilliant people every day, Chicago is ace all over, haven't stopped smiling / laughing since I got here!
    Oh, the shows? - Tumescent
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    That set list....will definitely be buying that boot :rock_on:
  • nicdolasnicdolas Bethlehem, PA Posts: 141
    pjman75 said:

stlhawk said:

whoa... speechless... Thank u PJ and 10C.

This. Nothing more available in my melted brain at this time. Thank you Section 34 for being the most fun fans I've ever seen a show with. To be continued...
    Awesome my buddy was in that section row 6 I think he said it was rocking!
    Merriweather Post - 96
    Camden - 98,00,03,06
    Philly - 05,09,13,16(1&2)
    MSG - 16(1&2)
    Ottawa - 16
    Sao Paulo - 15
    Wrigley 1&2 16
    TOTD - Philly 1 16
    Krakow 18
    Berlin 18
    Seattle 1&2 18
    Boston 2 18
  • jnikojniko Posts: 292
    What song was scratched from the setlist?
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936

I hope this will mean the end of Pearl Jam at Wrigley Field....I get the whole charm of the venue and the area (I've lived 2 miles away for 8 years) but I really want a two night stand at Alpine, Allstate, or even United Center next year. Baseball stadiums are just not good places for major rock concerts,

Agreed....being in GA reminded me of the Rolling Stones concert at the Indpls Motor Speedway last year. Just not a good concert venue.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville