Chances they will play a Tragically Hip Cover at Wrigley 1?

As many of you know, the Tragically Hip are currently in the middle of their LAST tour. The final show EVER is happening in Kingston, Ontario the same night as Wrigley 1. Choosing which show to attend was truly a struggle for some of us Canadian fans. (...and for some the decision was made by TM robots stealing all the tickets! >:( )
It would be amazing if the boys would play a cover for those of us attending the show Saturday night. Personally, I would LOVE to hear their version of Wheat Kings or Long Time Running, but really, anything will do.
If you could choose a Hip song for them to cover, which one would you choose?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Comments

• TM193128TM193128 Posts: 25
    I think that would be Fantastic!!
  • kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    Do you think anyone in the band is remotely familiar with TTH? I doubt it. Maybe if they were playing a Canadian show, but at Wrigley? And the answer to your question is Little Bones.
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • ryanjp2323ryanjp2323 Posts: 561
    Not a lot of US / international fans would get a cover and may it may slow down the flow of the show. I'd say a cover would be very unlikely.

A shout out / Ed story or song dedication could (should) be in the cards.

I'd assume the band /EV would have heard of the recent story and must know of the Hip and their importance to Canada and Canadian concert/ music fans. What the Hip are currently doing under the circumstances and in any context is special!! With the shows on the same night and a ton of Canadians at Wrigley I hope it happens!

Having attended the Winnipeg show last Friday and now having turned down a few party / viewing invites for CBC broadcast Saturday im a bit torn i'm missing such a huge Canadian cultural moment and event.

and to answer your question too... long time running or Grace too.

Look for my Hip current tour shirt in GA and around Wrigleyville on Saturday!

IF NOTHING IS EVERYTHING, I'LL HAVE IT ALL.

Vancouver 2003
    EV Vancouver 2008
    Winnipeg & Saskatoon 2011
    Wrigley July 2013
    Vancouver & Seattle 2013
    Tulsa, Lincoln & St. Paul 2014
    Mexico City 2015
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Wrigley 1 & 2 2016
    Seattle TOTD 1 & 2 2016 
    London 1, Cancelled / Boarderline, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2 2018
    Ohana 2019 

Not a lot of US / international fans would get a cover and may it may slow down the flow of the show. I'd say a cover would be very unlikely.

A shout out / Ed story or song dedication could (should) be in the cards.

I'd assume the band /EV would have heard of the recent story and must know of the Hip and their importance to Canada and Canadian concert/ music fans. What the Hip are currently doing under the circumstances and in any context is special!! With the shows on the same night and a ton of Canadians at Wrigley I hope it happens!

Having attended the Winnipeg show last Friday and now having turned down a few party / viewing invites for CBC broadcast Saturday im a bit torn i'm missing such a huge Canadian cultural moment and event.

and to answer your question too... long time running or Grace too.

Look for my Hip current tour shirt in GA and around Wrigleyville on Saturday!

If they were playing a show in Canada I could see it...I don't expect a Gord Downie shoutout at Wrigley.
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • lpeddlelpeddle Posts: 293
    A cover or a shoutout would mean a lot to us Canadians facing the inevitable loss of a Canadian legend on the night of their last show ever, but I'm definitely not expecting it. If it did happen you can guarantee I'd be a total mess though, just like I'm sure I'll be at the Hip show on Friday in Toronto!
  • JimminezJimminez Posts: 217
    I think it is highly unlikely. The Fenway shows were very much tailored to Boston with Bostonian making appearances and stories about Boston. I suspect it will be the same at Wrigley with it being Chicago-centric.
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Jimminez said:

I think it is highly unlikely. The Fenway shows were very much tailored to Boston with Bostonian making appearances and stories about Boston. I suspect it will be the same at Wrigley with it being Chicago-centric.

As it should be..
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Hopefully zero.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,290
    Zero
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

Hopefully zero.

^^^
  • lizwoods said:

As many of you know, the Tragically Hip are currently in the middle of their LAST tour. The final show EVER is happening in Kingston, Ontario the same night as Wrigley 1. Choosing which show to attend was truly a struggle for some of us Canadian fans. (...and for some the decision was made by TM robots stealing all the tickets! >:( )
    It would be amazing if the boys would play a cover for those of us attending the show Saturday night. Personally, I would LOVE to hear their version of Wheat Kings or Long Time Running, but really, anything will do.
    If you could choose a Hip song for them to cover, which one would you choose?

• The Hip never said this is their last tour and that Kingston is their last show. The media did.
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i was with the then manager of the hip at the pj show in 98 montreal. he went backstage to talk to the management or who ever. i know the band knows who they are. he had conveyed to me at that time that they liked the hip. so you never know. odds are slim but wheat kings and long time running would be very appropriate.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604

The Hip never said this is their last tour and that Kingston is their last show. The media did.

I was thinking about this the other day.

In some cases, individuals with Downie's cancer have lived 10 years after diagnosis.

He looked very good at the show in Toronto, after touring for (7?) shows prior

What if he is doing very well with treatment in a year or 2 and wants to play a show, or a few shows? I dont think that is impossible...
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i don't want to seem negative but his type of tumour is dire. i have seen what it does. it is not pretty. 10 years is a stretch. there are some new protocals for brain cancer but i'm not sure they work for this type. he may seem okay now but that may not last too long.
  • GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    I am sure that Ed and Co are familiar with them....

Do you think anyone in the band is remotely familiar with TTH? I doubt it. Maybe if they were playing a Canadian show, but at Wrigley? And the answer to your question is Little Bones.

"thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
    MayDay10 said:

The Hip never said this is their last tour and that Kingston is their last show. The media did.

In some cases, individuals with Downie's cancer have lived 10 years after diagnosis.

What if he is doing very well with treatment in a year or 2 and wants to play a show, or a few shows? I dont think that is impossible...
    Dude, he can't even remember the words to half their songs. There were monitors all over the stage with the lyrics scrolling for him to read. I don't mean deep cuts, I mean songs they've played hundreds of times for 25+ years. I know someone who has the exact same thing that Gord has (glioblastoma, being treated at Sunnybrook by the same doctors) and he's worn down to a pulp. It's sad.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

MayDay10 said:

Dude, he can't even remember the words to half their songs. There were monitors all over the stage with the lyrics scrolling for him to read. I don't mean deep cuts, I mean songs they've played hundreds of times for 25+ years. I know someone who has the exact same thing that Gord has (glioblastoma, being treated at Sunnybrook by the same doctors) and he's worn down to a pulp. It's sad.
    He has used teleprompters at shows for years. Means zero.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD