Fenway Merchandise.....they messed this up

Comments

• TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,072
    MP59559 said:

TA243471 said:

ComeToTX said:

jp307677 said:

No complaints here, got everything I wanted easily. An improvement 10x over from Wrigley 2013.
    Everyone had plenty of opportunities to get what they wanted since the Tuesday before the show. Having all posters available throughout and all having both dates on them helped as well. Great job

If you were flying from out of town for the Sunday show you didn't have plenty of opportunities.
    I think if you were flying in from out of town on the day of the show, you had at least the same opportunnity that you have at every other Pearl Jam show, and probably more, since there was more than 1 outside merch stand. I also think they sold out of less things than normal. Seems like they made the most stuff available, for the longest amount of time as they ever have.
    Wait, how would someone flying in on Sunday have "at least the same" opportunity, let alone "more" than people who could have gone into the city Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and/or Saturday?
    Not really sure how it's possible to misread my comment so badly. Congrats
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • AlexanaAlexana Posts: 66
    mickcasey said:

I still have no idea why they can't put this merch on-line? Donate a % to charities. It's a win-win. Some people are out of town or can't attend for whatever reason. Most groups put their merch on their websites. Who feels like paying 110.00 for a Celtics PJ shirt on Ebay? Not to mention posters.

Merchandise online doesn't work and that is proven time and again. Use yesterday's Thomas AP as an example. There were 100 of the variant prints put online and they sold out in under 1 minute. 15/100 are available on an auction site. 15%. Putting merchandise available at the show online is an incentive.

Iron Maiden has made available 'show' versions of t-shirts and then non-show, non-limited prints of the other ones (those lack the dates or some other detail).
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    sbelski22 said:

I decided to hit the mech stand on Tuesday and missed out on the Thomas poster by about 15 minutes. Stood in line in the rain with my 3 kids for 2 hours and 20 minutes....

At least the kids got a memory that they will never forget.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    hsohi said:

sbelski22 said:

I decided to hit the mech stand on Tuesday and missed out on the Thomas poster by about 15 minutes. Stood in line in the rain with my 3 kids for 2 hours and 20 minutes....

Hahaaha!!! Some of you are on a roll this morning!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    TA243471 said:

MP59559 said:

TA243471 said:

ComeToTX said:

jp307677 said:

No complaints here, got everything I wanted easily. An improvement 10x over from Wrigley 2013.
    Everyone had plenty of opportunities to get what they wanted since the Tuesday before the show. Having all posters available throughout and all having both dates on them helped as well. Great job

If you were flying from out of town for the Sunday show you didn't have plenty of opportunities.
    I think if you were flying in from out of town on the day of the show, you had at least the same opportunnity that you have at every other Pearl Jam show, and probably more, since there was more than 1 outside merch stand. I also think they sold out of less things than normal. Seems like they made the most stuff available, for the longest amount of time as they ever have.
    Wait, how would someone flying in on Sunday have "at least the same" opportunity, let alone "more" than people who could have gone into the city Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and/or Saturday?
    Not really sure how it's possible to misread my comment so badly. Congrats
    It's a gift. Truly.

I totally misread "that you have at every other Pearl Jam show" as "as every other Pearl Jam fan". Sorry about that.

Having re-read your comment, I'm still not sure the point you're trying to make. The number of merch stands doesn't matter much if they're open for days beforehand, and are all selling from the same stock.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • hsohi said:

sbelski22 said:

That is true! I was impressed with how well they behaved standing in line for over 2 hours while it was raining. I look forward to taking my son to his first PJ concert some day. Hopefully they will make a return visit to Fenway.
    PJ:
    * 1992 - Mansfield, MA
    * 1994 - Orpheum Theater, Boston
    * 1998 - Mansfield, MA
    * 2003 - Boston
    * 2008 - Mansfield, MA
    * 2016 - Fenway Park
    * 2018 - Fenway Park
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

hsohi said:

sbelski22 said:

Hahaaha!!! Some of you are on a roll this morning!
    :lol:
    (picturing 10 years from now: "Remember that time you made us stand out in the rain for two and a half hours just to buy a Pearl Jam poster??? What the hell was that??" :lol:;) )
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    I typically do not buy "Merch". I cant stand waiting in those crazy lines... I'll get a shirt from one of the dudes walking around the lots before and after shows. However, we walked right up to a booth, with 0 people standing in it. I spent $150 on Merch that day.
  • JmeiiiJmeiii Posts: 99

Alexana said:

They normally will do poster releases after a show here on the website,

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. Hoping for shirts too....the skyline shirt was cool and entirely sold out hours before the show.
    I was looking for that one too. Got the with the baseball (with the face) instead. Just glad to have been there (my first show) and to have something to commemorate it. Can't wait for the boot.
    Fenway Park: 8/7/2016
    Fenway Park: 9/2/2018
    Fenway Park: 9/4/2018
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    I thought the merch was done really well. Yes they could have held more merch back, but they also probably didn't want to risk having more stuff left over if it didnt sell to people inside on Sunday. All in all it was easy to get other than cards and the Thomas poster before Sunday. We were there Saturday night for HoB and I walked in to all 3 merch stands before the show.They had everything stocked except those 2 items. I also hope no one is paying an arm and a leg for the Thomas poster on ebay. Prices are already falling (just saw one for $99 buy it now) and we will hopefully get some sold here on 10c.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,327
    We should change the name of this thread to Fenway Merchandise: Nicely Done, 10c
  • Tuta23Tuta23 Posts: 114
    I loved the multiple stands and the multiple days. Line waits were pretty short and there were multiple spots within stadium as well.

That said, I can understand some of the disappointment.

I arrived on Thursday at 3pm and was able to get almost all of my 'wants' except for one sticker and one patch I wanted (to get ONE complete set of each) -- I checked around 4 booths at each show and never saw them, unfortunately.

I can actually see having an online pre-show 10C Merch sale -- it seems like it would be an easy thing to facilitate. Maybe not.
    I am not a Thief of Silence.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810

We should change the name of this thread to Fenway Merchandise: Nicely Done, 10c

I think so. It wasn't perfect but the obvious comparison is to Wrigley 2013 and this was vastly improved. They learned and made changes.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Tiz10Tiz10 South Florida Posts: 270
    Mixed reviews here, I loved the idea of multiple booths over the span of a couple days. I enjoyed not having to stand in line for a ridiculous amount of time. On the other hand, I will say that in the future there should be a 10C representative at each booth to over see that the limits are being enforced. Also, if you have a daily allotment: honor it. If an item is selling quickly on a given day, dont start selling tomorrow's allotment due to that days popularity. I was one of the first 30 people In my gate Sunday evening & was one of the first to a merch booth only to have them tell me the catch poster has been sold out already....before the doors were even open. My GF went to the booth opposite of me & was told the same about the catch poster. This was after they sold the guy in front of her a full unopened box of trading cards [with a supposed 10 pack limit mind you]. I do somewhat think that they don't really care about limits or allotments, just profit (not to be taken as a personal slight to anyone in the band). Off all the places to offer your entire merch selection: is inside the venue on the days of the show. Awesome to have booths available a couple days leading up to show dates but make your catalog of merch available to those who paid to be inside the venue. Makes sense right?
    August 17th 1998 Indianapolis, IN
    August 18th 2000 Indianapolis, IN
    June 22nd 2003 Indianapolis, IN
    June 11th 2008 West Palm Beach, FL
    June 12th 2008 Tampa, FL
    October 15th 2013 Worcester, MA
    October 16th 2013 Worcester, MA
    October 3rd 2014 St.Louis, MO
    April 8th 2016 Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    April 9th 2016 Miami, FL
    April 11th 2016 Tampa, FL
    August 5th 2016 Boston, MA (Fenway 1)
    August 7th 2016 Boston, MA (Fenway 2)
    April 7th 2017 Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I think they have a lot of merch for a reason. Most people will be able to find something they like with the leftovers on Sunday. At the end of the day everyone left with some momento to remember the show with. Yeah, it may not have been the catch poster or the pennant sticker, but they could still buy a sticker, a pin, a poster, a shirt, a jersey, a hoodie, a flag, socks, etc... even after the show. It may have not been everyone's favorite item though. If you are really concerned about getting that cool poster or that cool shirt than maybe you need to put a little more effort in. I understand though they advertised that they would holdback for each day so the expectation was you could walk in when doors opened and get what you wanted.
  • I thought it went well, keeping in mind how tight Fenway is throughout the tunnels/walkway they certainly needed to supplement outside...as is usual now. Also with it being a larger venue and having the show span across the weekend had they just been open on show days it would have been a nightmare of an experience. No I didn't get everything I wanted, but thems the breaks.
    Boston, MA - Fenway (1) 8.4.16
    Philadelphia, PA - WFC (2) 4.29.16
    Philadelphia, PA - Tower Theater(EV Solo) 6.25.11
    Philadelphia, PA - Spectrum (4) 10.31.09
    Camden, NJ - Tweeter Center (2) 5.28.06
    State College, PA - BJC 5.03.03
  • RC242143RC242143 Posts: 52
    Just wanted to add that they did a great job with Merch! I got into town on Thursday night and hit the lines Friday morning. They had everything but cards I believe. I was a little disappointed that they didn't have Friday setlist shirts at the Sunday show, I guess I thought they would still have some. I know for Wrigley they released them online later, so I am crossing my fingers. The only thing I would like to see is a 10 club only exclusive where you could select merchandise that you either pick up at the show or just get shipped to your house. I would keep it limited, example only 1 of anything including posters. Maybe cap it at 6 total items. That way if you see something you absolutely want, you can get it. You would likely see some flipping, but if only 10 clubbers could buy it would probably be minimal.
  • I finally found a Gorge poster from 06 on eBay. Paid $50 for it. Yeah it took me 10 years. Now it sits in my closet in line to get framed with all the others. The prices will go down someday. The hoarders will all need to unload at some point. Be patient. At the end of the day its just stuff nobody really needs.
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    if you have to drive into town just for merch , make it fun. just do what you have to do to get what you want. if not don't complain. they can only do so much. they do the best they can. they can't please everyone. when posters were more limited 10 years ago and more, i would get to the venue and line up early. that's what you had to do. it was nervous fun. try not to sweat this stuff, there are so many bigger issues to worry about. this merch stuff shouldn't seem to be the center of so many peoples' lives.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    foodboy said:

if you have to drive into town just for merch , make it fun. just do what you have to do to get what you want. if not don't complain. they can only do so much. they do the best they can. they can't please everyone. when posters were more limited 10 years ago and more, i would get to the venue and line up early. that's what you had to do. it was nervous fun. try not to sweat this stuff, there are so many bigger issues to worry about. this merch stuff shouldn't seem to be the center of so many peoples' lives.

Well said.
  • The Camaros HoodThe Camaros Hood Boston, MA Posts: 440

I finally found a Gorge poster from 06 on eBay. Paid $50 for it. Yeah it took me 10 years. Now it sits in my closet in line to get framed with all the others. The prices will go down someday. The hoarders will all need to unload at some point. Be patient. At the end of the day its just stuff nobody really needs.

Well said. Collecting this stuff is fun but we all need to keep in in perspective.
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23
  • foodboy said:

I will say it once more. I am not trying to whine. I scored a ticket in a drop, got to see a fantastic show from down front. I cannot complain about the show at all.

I am not a "regular" on this board or traveling around to PJ shows. I'm just a guy who thinks they're the best touring band out there right now and was grateful I got to go to the show. However, my experience was that I got to the venue and the poster and shirt that I wanted was sold out.

Again, as a "newbie" who doesn't know how the merchandise has been handled in the past, think about that experience.....you get to the show and can't get the stuff. What would you think? I thought "that sucks" and bought a different shirt. Didn't ruin the show, didn't make me enjoy it less......

However, being sold out of a poster and a shirt (the ones I wanted) and cards and other shirts (in some sizes) BEFORE the concert goers arrive for a concert seems less than optimal. Call me a whiner or crazy or say "it used to be worse" but I don't know how anyone can disagree with that statement.

Being sold out BEFORE people arrive for a concert is not optimal.

That seems simple yet, somehow, people are rushing to the defense of the band.

I asked the questions "why not make it less 'limited'?", "why not sell the stuff online after the show?". One reply had a good answer, they would have to sit on inventory and possibly discount it later. Sure, I get that and that's a fine response. I don't necessarily agree but it's a decent answer. Why not produce another batch of everything that sold out? Don't make a lot, 500 shirt, 200 posters, whatever......and put it online? If the cost to produce in small quantities is higher, charge more. I'd pay $45 for the shirt and not even mention it.

The band can fix this. It doesn't bother me if they choose not to, they are certainly doing great by the fans compared to any other band. However, this is not an unsolvable problem nor is it whining to just raise the question.

Again.....being sold out of merchandise BEFORE people arrive for a concert is not optimal.
    Mansfield, Massachusetts (July 11, 2003)
    Boston, Massachusetts (September 29, 2004)
    Boston, Massachusetts (May 25, 2006)
    Boston 2 (August 07, 2016)
    Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018)
    Boston Night 2 (September 04, 2018)

• It's so simple. Things are gonna get sold out regardless of how many days it was available. If it was sold only in the venue and only on show days the lines would be astronomical and you'd wait 3 hours to be told things are sold out. And even if they did get their things they'd have to wait with their things under their seat and hope no one vomits or spills a beer or steps on their stuff. How many threads have there been where people complained about a jackass spilling beer all over their poster?

But because the merch was sold the way it was locals got to buy stuff and leave it home. Other people got to put their stuff in their hotel rooms. People like me who got there Saturday or Sunday got to have access to a lot of things. Not everything, but that's probably how it would have went down anyway if they only had booths show days. Either that or I would have had to get in line at noon for a show that starts at 7:30 JUST for merch.

And look at how much WAS available even after flippers came and went! As soon as I learned on Tuesday that flippers were there I assumed by Thursday all of it would be gone. But most things were there by SUNDAY. I call that a win. Shit is gonna sell out no matter what happens.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • And look at how much WAS available even after flippers came and went! As soon as I learned on Tuesday that flippers were there I assumed by Thursday all of it would be gone. But most things were there by SUNDAY. I call that a win. Shit is gonna sell out no matter what happens.

If they don't make it "limited edition", there is no market for the "flippers". If people want to buy it, make it. Think about it, if the band makes another 1000 Thomas posters today and puts them on the website, who suffers? The people trying to make a buck off the merchandise, that's it. The rest of us will buy up the posters and be happy. I can get the shirt I wanted on eBay right now for $65. I would MUCH rather pay PJ $50 or even $65 and cut out the "flippers".
    Mansfield, Massachusetts (July 11, 2003)
    Boston, Massachusetts (September 29, 2004)
    Boston, Massachusetts (May 25, 2006)
    Boston 2 (August 07, 2016)
    Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018)
    Boston Night 2 (September 04, 2018)

edited August 2016
    It seems like they tried to make it as easy as they could for the most amount of people. The system wasn't perfect but again it was an improvement over Wrigley three years ago. It sucks that some people still missed out but in the end I can't criticize 10C too much for this effort.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

• ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I showed up on Sunday and the only thing I wanted (the triangle pennant sticker) from those merch stands was unavailable.
    I saw ALOT of people wearing those green 16 t-shirts.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    JimmyV said:

It seems like they tries to make it as easy as they could for the most amount of people. The system wasn't perfect but again it was an improvement over Wrigley three years ago. It sucks that some people still missed out but in the end I can't criticize 10C too much for this effort.

This......

I've been to many shows in ample time & the shirts / posters / stickers were sold out.
    It happens all the time.

Pj & 10c still went above & beyond here. It sucks some people still missed out, but I tip my cap to the powers that be for trying.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

JimmyV said:

It seems like they tries to make it as easy as they could for the most amount of people. The system wasn't perfect but again it was an improvement over Wrigley three years ago. It sucks that some people still missed out but in the end I can't criticize 10C too much for this effort.

This......

I've been to many shows in ample time & the shirts / posters / stickers were sold out.
    It happens all the time.

Pj & 10c still went above & beyond here. It sucks some people still missed out, but I tip my cap to the powers that be for trying.
    Think they did much better as well. Much better than I was expecting. When I went on Friday they were pretty strict at the store I was at about the limits which was nice. Told me that after Tuesday they stopped selling whole boxes of cards when flippers were buying them up. So at least it looks like they were doing the best they could. Wish everyone could have gotten all they wanted, but for the most part never waited long at all for anything. And it seems PJ tried to make a lot more stuff available.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    The Fenway merch situation is looking pretty good right about now, yes?

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    With purchase of your ticket, you have access to and are limited to purchasing one of every item available. Done and done. Curbs the appetite donit?!
    www.cluthelee.com