European Union vote 2016

14567810»

Comments

• SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    Women running both the UK and the USA would be interesting for sure.
    Nature drunk and High
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Spags said:

Women running both the UK and the USA would be interesting for sure.

For the UK, not really, since it wouldn't be the first time for them.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Thatcher wasn't really a woman tho...
    Nature drunk and High
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Spags said:

Thatcher wasn't really a woman tho...

Yeah I really don't think we want her held up as being a representative of women!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, she was the devil, but still a woman you guys, come on. :lol:
    My mom actually bought the best souvenir back when we were in England in the 80s. It's this kind of high-end jack in the box. Margaret Thatcher pops out of it, with her arms raised hysterically in the air and this blustery expression on her face. I love it. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    PJ_Soul said:

My mom actually bought the best souvenir back when we were in England in the 80s. It's this kind of high-end jack in the box. Margaret Thatcher pops out of it, with her arms raised hysterically in the air and this blustery expression on her face. I love it. :lol:

that is an absolutely frightening image.

i remember being a kid and being fond of her. then i became an adult and read up on her policies. i was then all like "man, what was i thinking??"
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

PJ_Soul said:

i remember being a kid and being fond of her. then i became an adult and read up on her policies. i was then all like "man, what was i thinking??"
    The kid was smart.
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

The kid was smart.
    Why am I not surprised that you're a fan of Maggie
    All Irish kids knew this rhyme when I was growing up

Here's Maggie Thatcher, throw her up and catch her
    Squish squash, squish squash
    Here's Maggie Thatcher

Needless to say, she was not popular
    May said that the status of three million citizens from other EU states already living in Britain would be a subject of Brexit negotiations. You can't deport foreign people married to citizens under article 8 ECHR. Brexit won't change that. But still, that would be a very bad move in an ongoing string of bad moves if she gets the job of PM. Its would completely mess with the lives of not just the three million citizens from other EU states living in the UK, but also the at least 1.2 million Britons living in other parts of Europe.
    Nature drunk and High
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited July 2016
    The did more than "kick the hornets nest", they blew the fucking thing open with "shock and awe" like a bunch of hubris filled immature assholes
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

The kid was smart.
    Why am I not surprised that you're a fan of Maggie
    Mother what a lover she wore me out
    Spags said:

May said that the status of three million citizens from other EU states already living in Britain would be a subject of Brexit negotiations. You can't deport foreign people married to citizens under article 8 ECHR. Brexit won't change that. But still, that would be a very bad move in an ongoing string of bad moves if she gets the job of PM. Its would completely mess with the lives of not just the three million citizens from other EU states living in the UK, but also the at least 1.2 million Britons living in other parts of Europe.

My mum said my brother in London is thinking of getting a British passport, I wonder is this why. He's married to a Swede, so she has a Swedish passport and he has an Irish one. I didn't understand why he'd want a British one when everyone seems to want an Irish one now! Do you think his wife's status could be in question? They've both lived there for over 20 years now but have never sought any kind of British citizenship (as Irish it would be anathema really, though my brother doesn't feel as strongly about these things as I do!)
    Seems to be a lot of people trying to get different passports in the hope they can keep things as close to normal since this shit show kicked off.
    Nature drunk and High
    Spags said:

Seems to be a lot of people trying to get different passports in the hope they can keep things as close to normal since this shit show kicked off.

The funniest was Ulster Unionists suggesting that everyone in the North get an Irish passport, who would ever have believed they'd be suggesting such a thing? :tongue:
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2016
    It's people like this that made this happen. Shit or get off the pot.

http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-britain-eu-protest-20160702-snap-story.html
    “I’m usually very much on the sidelines. I’m certainly not a banner waver,” said Sue Carpenter, 50, a filmmaker from London. “But I woke up the morning after the referendum first of all feeling completely dismayed. Then I met all my European friends who said they didn’t feel they were welcome. These are people who have lived in this country a long time. I thought this is really bad.”
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    A Brexit warning from Switzerland: beware votes on free movement

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-swiss-idUSKCN0ZH48K

It seems Britain isn't the only country with a problem with free movement of people ... Wonder if their is more? Likely there is...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    Its been a few years and now feels like a decent time to dig back into this thread as the Brexit deadline of Oct 31st fast approaches. Parliament is currently shut down (again), but when it gets back to work on Oct 19th the current Prime Minster Boris Johnson has these options ahead of him.

If Johnson is able to secure a deal with Brussels (doubtful), he could put it to a vote in the House of Commons. If it were to pass (doubtful) then the UK leaves the EU Oct 31st.

However, The Benn act by law forces him to send a letter to the EU requesting an extension to Article 50, which would remove the risk of a no-deal Brexit. He could, however, ignore the law and say the UK will leave with no deal on Oct 31st which would lead to legal proceedings against him and, I expect, trigger a vote of no confidence in the PM by the leader of the opposition Jeremy Corbyn. This would lead to an attempt to form a caretaker government - which could be tricky due to the Liberal Democrats not wanting to side with the leader of the opposition despite claiming they want to stop Brexit.

Johnson could table a motion of no confidence in himself as Prime Minster, that would give the opposition parties 2 weeks to find an alternative government and, failing that, a general election would be triggered. This would still allow a no deal Brexit to happen so opposition would unlikely support it. 

Johnson could go to the Queen and resign, suggesting somebody in his party as a replacement. If so then the leader of the opposition, Corbyn, would go to the palace to make his own representation. 

See you in another few years...
    Nature drunk and High