Options

Pearl Jam to Headline Pemberton Festival

Comments

• Options
    DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 605
    edited June 2016
    I've not attended a festival of any kind, Pemberton of course included. Is it strictly a GA type of arrangement or is there seating of some kind? Without breaking a huge sweat how close to the band can a guy figure on getting? As I'm from greater Vancouver I've kinda gone from this thing is a nonstarter to maybe I should give this a bit more thought.
    Post edited by DJ253147 on
  • Options
    chittychitty Posts: 577
    It's completely GA
    I've never had an issue getting Fairly close to any band. This year seems to have most tickets sold yet, but I still suspect within an hour of PJ you'll be able to get within first few rows
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,155
    chitty said:

It's completely GA
    I've never had an issue getting Fairly close to any band. This year seems to have most tickets sold yet, but I still suspect within an hour of PJ you'll be able to get within first few rows

The downside is, will you want to stay there? I keep getting told the Pemberton festival is mostly young party people and young hippies... lol. If there's a lot of youth, that might be an exuberant mosh pit. 20 year old me loved being squished right up in front of the stage, not sure 38 year old me likes it so much. I remember the pit at Calgary 09 (Virgin Festival) was quite old school. I stayed on the outer rim/perimeter for that one :)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    edited June 2016
    Zod said:

chitty said:

It's completely GA

The downside is, will you want to stay there? I keep getting told the Pemberton festival is mostly young party people and young hippies... lol. If there's a lot of youth, that might be an exuberant mosh pit. 20 year old me loved being squished right up in front of the stage, not sure 38 year old me likes it so much. I remember the pit at Calgary 09 (Virgin Festival) was quite old school. I stayed on the outer rim/perimeter for that one :)
    I doubt there will be a mosh pit. It will still mostly be just typical PJ fans in front of the stage because they are the ones who care enough to get there early. (Although ibwouod be hoping for a rowdy crowd myself - the rowdier the better for me!)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Zod said:

chitty said:

It's completely GA

I thought I was old lol. :)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Zod said:

chitty said:

It's completely GA

I doubt there will be a mosh pit. It will still mostly be just typical PJ fans in front of the stage because they are the ones who care enough to get there early. (Although ibwouod be hoping for a rowdy crowd myself - the rowdier the better for me!)
    +1 I encourage Chaos...lol

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I honestly think the only reason the pit's are civil at PJ shows is because the pits are small and it's mostly 30 and 40 year olds who got the tickets. You're right, it would people be people like us who should up early to get a good spot. 20 year old me would never have bothered. You wait til the band starts and b-line it through the pit to the front. I expect a pit. It's a giant GA festival. 30000 people, lots of people wanting to be up front. The front will be a squished sea of humanity :)
  • Options
    RobbyD462 said:

ouch, thanks :)
  • Options
    Zod said:

PJ_Soul said:

I honestly think the only reason the pit's are civil at PJ shows is because the pits are small and it's mostly 30 and 40 year olds who got the tickets. You're right, it would people be people like us who should up early to get a good spot. 20 year old me would never have bothered. You wait til the band starts and b-line it through the pit to the front. I expect a pit. It's a giant GA festival. 30000 people, lots of people wanting to be up front. The front will be a squished sea of humanity :)
    I hope you're right!
    (and FTR, I think I'm older than both of you guys, so STFU :lol:;) )
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Zod said:

RobbyD462 said:

Just teasing fella.lol
    I'm 37 and don't have to lie to women about my age.They just don't believe me....
    We should all meet up at the festival for a $8 beer.
    They taste way better than $5 beer!;)

• Options
    RobbyD462 said:

Zod said:

RobbyD462 said:

Just teasing fella.lol
    I'm 37 and don't have to lie to women about my age.They just don't believe me....
    Hopefully there's more selection than coors light and Canadian... and hopefully I make it. I'm about 80% confident of going... hopefully it works out.
  • Options
    RobbyD462 said:

Zod said:

RobbyD462 said:

Just teasing fella.lol
    you guys are all so lucky to be out west... I would.love to see them play again this summer....
  • Options
    Getting more and more excited. I don't expect much of a pit. There wasn't a ton at the front for black keys last year.

Here's hoping we got a cover of the Hip!
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    Wanted to join in the thread. Will be headed up to Pemby for the show - can't wait! One of the *most* beautiful.places.on.earth! can't wait to see what it feels like to see PJ with that back drop.

Anyone from the area know if they'll make single day tickets available at some point? I've email the festival and can't get a response and the website FAQ is useless.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    I'm 36 and have been to all of the Pemberton festivals (the 2008 + 2014 and 2015 reincarnation), BUT I also went to many Lollapaloozas in the 90's (1992 through 1997) ....and can safely say for sure that the kids these days are way more tame when it comes to main stage crowds. I've never seen a legit "PIT" like one would have experienced in the 1990's. This may be a generalization, but kids these days seem more into fashion, selfies, and dancing, they seem to value their personal space (for posing, lol) a bit more than crowds in the 90's.

From what I've seen at festivals (including Coachella), usually rock bands see much smaller crowds as the kids are all off in some dance tent. For example, with Pemberton, the Modest Mouse crowd (though it was on the second stage) was super tame in 2014, even for Outkast, the main stage headliner that year, you could get quite close to the front without much effort. The Blur and Stone Roses sets at Coachella drew minuscule crowds. Usually bands from the era of Pearl Jam draw mostly people in the 30 to 50 year old demographic, very chill.

If you are a PJ fan from Seattle, Vancouver or the Island (heck even Oregon), I would really encourage you to do everything in your power if possible to make it. If this is one of your only chances to see PJ this year, I would just be much more bummed about having to wait another year or two, than to miss them because of minor perceived inconveniences of a festival (i.e.: think about all the people in Australia who complained about Big Day out in 2014, and said they'd wait for a real proper tour....well, it's nearly 3 years later, and they still haven't seen a show). All those inconveniences will be non-existent when you're seeing PJ playing in front of one of the most breath taking scenic backgrounds of any music festival (seriously the mountains in Pemberton are even more dramatic and gorgeous than Whistler - and without all the commercial bs).
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    There was a crazy 1990s-esque crowd at the Jack White show i went to last year, and the pit at a Modest Mouse show in the Fall was pretty out if control. There was even some craziness at the last Killers show i saw, believe it or not, and i remember thinking that the last NIN show, with a full GA floor, was looking pretty hard core from my seats. Mosh pits, the old crush-and-sway, crowd surfing, bodies landing on your head, security pulling out sobbing girls, lol, all that good stuff was happening espwcially at that Jack White show. All of these crowds were largely young people. It does still happen, jist relatively rarely. It just depends on the particular show and the particular crowd. But yeah, it's not going to happen at a PJ show in North America, no way.
  • Options
    Good points Soul,

Are you talking about the Modest Mouse show at the Malkin bowl? And Jack White at Deer Lake?

If so, I was at those shows too. Wasn't really watching the crowd too much, but I typically find if you're willing just to go up the side instead of going straight in the middle, you're fine. For example, at the Modest Mouse Malkin show, my wife and I just walked up on the right side of the stage about 10mins before they got on, and we were like 10-15 feet back, with no one touching us.

I was also at the last NIN show here, and also I expressly remember Soundgarden's first show back here (in like 2011?).. both of those, especially Soundgarden were as close to as a 90's pit as you'd find these days.

I find the festival crowds especially tame as I think people are more concerned about getting other people's sweat on them when they might not have access to a shower for 3 days, haha.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    mwplum said:

Good points Soul,

Are you talking about the Modest Mouse show at the Malkin bowl? And Jack White at Deer Lake?

If so, I was at those shows too. Wasn't really watching the crowd too much, but I typically find if you're willing just to go up the side instead of going straight in the middle, you're fine. For example, at the Modest Mouse Malkin show, my wife and I just walked up on the right side of the stage about 10mins before they got on, and we were like 10-15 feet back, with no one touching us.

I was also at the last NIN show here, and also I expressly remember Soundgarden's first show back here (in like 2011?).. both of those, especially Soundgarden were as close to as a 90's pit as you'd find these days.

I find the festival crowds especially tame as I think people are more concerned about getting other people's sweat on them when they might not have access to a shower for 3 days, haha.

Yeah, I was talking about those shows, but I didn't mean it like it should be avoided. I still love a really rowdy crowd - I was happy to be right in the middle of the crazy pits at those shows! ;) But yes, if that isn't for you, the sides are a good option.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    mwplum said:

I'm 36 and have been to all of the Pemberton festivals (the 2008 + 2014 and 2015 reincarnation), BUT I also went to many Lollapaloozas in the 90's (1992 through 1997) ....and can safely say for sure that the kids these days are way more tame when it comes to main stage crowds. I've never seen a legit "PIT" like one would have experienced in the 1990's. This may be a generalization, but kids these days seem more into fashion, selfies, and dancing, they seem to value their personal space (for posing, lol) a bit more than crowds in the 90's.

From what I've seen at festivals (including Coachella), usually rock bands see much smaller crowds as the kids are all off in some dance tent. For example, with Pemberton, the Modest Mouse crowd (though it was on the second stage) was super tame in 2014, even for Outkast, the main stage headliner that year, you could get quite close to the front without much effort. The Blur and Stone Roses sets at Coachella drew minuscule crowds. Usually bands from the era of Pearl Jam draw mostly people in the 30 to 50 year old demographic, very chill.

If you are a PJ fan from Seattle, Vancouver or the Island (heck even Oregon), I would really encourage you to do everything in your power if possible to make it. If this is one of your only chances to see PJ this year, I would just be much more bummed about having to wait another year or two, than to miss them because of minor perceived inconveniences of a festival (i.e.: think about all the people in Australia who complained about Big Day out in 2014, and said they'd wait for a real proper tour....well, it's nearly 3 years later, and they still haven't seen a show). All those inconveniences will be non-existent when you're seeing PJ playing in front of one of the most breath taking scenic backgrounds of any music festival (seriously the mountains in Pemberton are even more dramatic and gorgeous than Whistler - and without all the commercial bs).

Shhh, let's keep this on the downlow! I'm truly thinking, as I've been at every pemebrton like you, we will be able to get super close half hour encore. I was ten rows back dead centre for black keys last year ten minutes before
  • Options
    Haha, okay, sorry, let's keep this on the DL! ...the centre is where it's at, ONLY go for the middle!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
  • Options
    Either way, It'll be awesome having PJ play (relatively) close to home. I hope this all works out and I'm able to pull it off. I thoroughly enjoyed the last festival show I went to (Calgary 09) so I imagine this one would be pretty good too.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

There was a crazy 1990s-esque crowd at the Jack White show i went to last year, and the pit at a Modest Mouse show in the Fall was pretty out if control. There was even some craziness at the last Killers show i saw, believe it or not, and i remember thinking that the last NIN show, with a full GA floor, was looking pretty hard core from my seats. Mosh pits, the old crush-and-sway, crowd surfing, bodies landing on your head, security pulling out sobbing girls, lol, all that good stuff was happening espwcially at that Jack White show. All of these crowds were largely young people. It does still happen, jist relatively rarely. It just depends on the particular show and the particular crowd. But yeah, it's not going to happen at a PJ show in North America, no way.

Love it!
    You gotta want it!:)

• Options
    iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 778
    Just over a month until we hit the mountains of beautiful BC!

Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I like that 2nd picuture.. big scenic mountains behind the stage. Makes me want to go even more.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 778
    I spent a lot of time just looking at the surroundings, it really is an awesome place!
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • Options
    yeahhhh! so gorgeous!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
  • Options
    roughly a month out. I don't think I've ever experienced a Pearl Jam show this close where you didn't know the exact date... really sucks for planning :)
  • Options
    It is official, Pearl Jam is playing Sunday and tickets are NOW on sale for single day. Get them fast!!
  • Options
    I bought a pair! Glad I opted to book off that Monday off a few weeks ago when they temporarily stated the date was on the 17th on the website (which turns out was correct.. lol).