When religious people won't take no for an answer

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    edited June 2016
    Yes. Yes there is. It is called "unfriend". You do it. Speak to him in person if you wish about why. Keep whatever relationship you will have with him on an in person basis.

Besides. ITS FUCKING FACEBOOK. It is NOT that critical to life.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Maybe use the same technique some do to turn religious people away from the door only with a selfie... if you know what I mean.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Annoying is annoying - reasons aside. This sounds an awful lot like the girl situation from weeks ago OP. This is precisely where Facebook gets people by the way. Trapping you into thinking this is the only way to really connect with others.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    Wobbie said:

chadwick said:

you could... message him back some ridiculous bullshit
    you could... avoid him like the plague
    you could... unfriend him altogether
    you could... attend one of his events
    you could... quite possibly torque his mom's engine real quick

you could....get the hell off faceturd.
    you could... take the advice of rob & thank him sometime in the future
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Rob is the master, listen to his advice and delete your account.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    you could invite him to your own event.......... call it, oh.... I don't know... "It's evolution baby!"
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Thoughts_Arrive, I think you really, really need to try and stop caring so much about what other people think. It seems like you almost make yourself sick on a regular basis by overthinking what others think about you. Of course it's still necessary to care about what others think in some ways, for a person to be considerate and to navigate relatively peacefully through life, but I feel like you take that and multiply it by a million. You don't have to sweat what some dude thinks about you unfriending him on facebook. It just doesn't matter. He probably wouldn't even notice. It's not like people get notified when they are unfriended. But even if he did notice and said something, the reply could just be "I don't like getting e-vites". Whatever. I just hope that you can stop worrying to much about how people react to you. Some concern is natural, but I think you know that you're rather obsessive about it.
    Assuming you are generally a kind and reasonable person, you should just be yourself, behave however feels right and comfortable to you, and not worry about everyone else. They can worry about their own feelings about minor social complexities.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    If it were me I would not only unfriend him but if he continued to hassle you I would be more forceful and tell him to piss off. Admittedly I have very strong feelings on religion and my right to not practice it, those feelings would help me overcome my usual people-pleasing tendencies :tongue:
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    PJ_Soul said:

Thoughts_Arrive, I think you really, really need to try and stop caring so much about what other people think. It seems like you almost make yourself sick on a regular basis by overthinking what others think about you. Of course it's still necessary to care about what others think in some ways, for a person to be considerate and to navigate relatively peacefully through life, but I feel like you take that and multiply it by a million. You don't have to sweat what some dude thinks about you unfriending him on facebook. It just doesn't matter. He probably wouldn't even notice. It's not like people get notified when they are unfriended. But even if he did notice and said something, the reply could just be "I don't like getting e-vites". Whatever. I just hope that you can stop worrying to much about how people react to you. Some concern is natural, but I think you know that you're rather obsessive about it.
    Assuming you are generally a kind and reasonable person, you should just be yourself, behave however feels right and comfortable to you, and not worry about everyone else. They can worry about their own feelings about minor social complexities.

I'm a people pleaser, that's my issue too.
    I was so angry about it last night in bed. Kept thinking about it. I had a good night out with friends but when I went to bed it was on my mind what to do about it.
    I agree with you nonetheless.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I might just start posting music videos like Jesus Christ Pose, Heart Shaped Box and a Bad Religion song called Come Join Us. Anything to offend him lol.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Rob is the master, listen to his advice and delete your account.

I got facebook to connect with family and old friends. I wouldn't want to delete it.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

I might just start posting music videos like Jesus Christ Pose, Heart Shaped Box and a Bad Religion song called Come Join Us. Anything to offend him lol.

This is an awesome idea.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    I'm so pissed off because I hate when people think I need religion, do I have a sign saying save me lord or something on my head. This guy would be the son my mother never had lol (she's very religious).
    I really don't see why you can't just unfriend him. That solves the problem without you having to leave Facebook. If he asks you about it just be honest and say your beliefs are not aligned and that while you're sure he's a nice guy you are travelling on different paths.
    deadendp said:

This is an awesome idea.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3Jx5hGGWw

BOOM!

I'm so pissed off because I hate when people think I need religion, do I have a sign saying save me lord or something on my head. This guy would be the son my mother never had lol (she's very religious).

It isnt personal. Its kinda just their thing.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Chocolate Jesus Tom Waits
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I really don't see why you can't just unfriend him. That solves the problem without you having to leave Facebook. If he asks you about it just be honest and say your beliefs are not aligned and that while you're sure he's a nice guy you are travelling on different paths.

There ya go, Jenny.

Caring too much what he will say when he sees me in class.

Gah! Why care? Do you think his opinions are worthier than yours? If yes, why - and if not, then release that unnecessary and draining worry.

Take a deep breath and realize you are yours.

And if you can't, find assistance - please - to help get you there.

Do your own beliefs mean nothing to you? I'm generally shy and have a pathological fear of conflict but my views on religion are something I will stand up and defend. It is he who is in the wrong if he tries to force his views on you so I highly doubt he would want to cause a public scene about it. Some things are worth taking a stand for
    They do, I'm just non-confrontational.
    Most people aren't confrontational.

Anyway, best of luck. Find your way (or as Puscifer says, find A way - it's there, so hope you can open yourself to what YOU need to do), with or without whatever sage advice has been given.

Take it or not, find help or not, confront or not. Just face yourself and embrace or improve on what you (choose to) see.

They do, I'm just non-confrontational.

Believe me, nobody could be less confrontational than me but even I have limits. I guess you haven't found yours yet...
    temple of the dog - wooden jesus is another good one.

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    I just post this song everywhere.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited June 2016

You worry too much. I'm a middle child. Believe me, I get the people pleasing thing and the trying to smooth everything out to avoid confrontation. Sometimes you have to pull up those boots and not give a shit. Sometimes you have to care about you. You know what? That is okay.

Going for the religious in name of titles, here are a few:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1xrNaTO1bI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwtdhWltSIg
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    The Cash version of Personal Jesus is something else (in a good way). Manson's too.