Comments

• Options
    chittychitty Posts: 577
    I'd say 99% they do not play Friday so take Monday off
  • Options
    Zod said:

PJ_Soul said:

Zod said:

hmm maybe i should proactively try and take the monday off instead of the friday.. I was thinking friday/saturday.

What about taking Friday AND Monday off? :)
    It's kind of a dick move as I don't work with too many other people, and only one of us can really be away at any given time. so me booking one day off in a week theoretically prohibits someone else from taking the whole week. I try not to do that too often.
    It's a dog eat dog world, Zod!

While I jest... the reality is if you don't go... you aren't seeing them for another 2-3 years. I'm begrudgingly making slow plans to attend. It's not the ideal setting, but it's the best there is for us West coast bums.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited May 2016
    This still all depends on one day passes and being able to get one for PJ's night, if they exist at all.... or spending almost $400 for a full pass. Pearl Jam at a summer music fest definitely isn't worth $400 plus expenses to me. Summer music festivals are basically my idea of hell. Popping in for one set is fine - i can tolerate a few hours of stinky, crowded, broiling hot hell in a field for this band, but that's it, and the cost has to be very reasonable.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

This still all depends on one day passes and being able to get one for PJ's night, if they exist at all.... or spending almost $400 for a full pass. Pearl Jam at a summer music fest definitely isn't worth $400 plus expenses to me. Summer music festivals are basically my idea of hell. Popping in for one set is fine - i can tolerate a few hours of stinky, crowded, broiling hot hell in a field for this band, but that's it, and the cost has to be very reasonable.

Agreed. For 400 and then some... I'd prefer to fly to Santago and see them there.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    I'm in the same boat. If I can get there and I can get single day tickets. I'm in.

Thirty Bills Unpaid: I don't think it'll be 2-3 years. Lucky enough I'm traveling to Chicago, but outside that I have to imagine Seattle gets a show at some point. Maybe next year? They might not do a Vancouver show for a few more years, but Seattle's gotta get something.. eventually.. right? :) lol.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Zod said:

I'm in the same boat. If I can get there and I can get single day tickets. I'm in.

Thirty Bills Unpaid: I don't think it'll be 2-3 years. Lucky enough I'm traveling to Chicago, but outside that I have to imagine Seattle gets a show at some point. Maybe next year? They might not do a Vancouver show for a few more years, but Seattle's gotta get something.. eventually.. right? :) lol.

Someone or other randomly said online this weekend that Mike told him that they'd be playing Vancouver later this year.... and that is how rumours get started. ;) NO idea if Mike really said this to anyone or if the guy who posted that is a big huge liar, lol. I hope he was telling the truth!!! But I won't be holding my breathe, lol. I find it hard to believe that Mike would let that kind of info slip when talking to a fan.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 777
    PJ_Soul said:

Zod said:

Someone or other randomly said online this weekend that Mike told him that they'd be playing Vancouver later this year.... and that is how rumours get started. ;) NO idea if Mike really said this to anyone or if the guy who posted that is a big huge liar, lol. I hope he was telling the truth!!! But I won't be holding my breathe, lol. I find it hard to believe that Mike would let that kind of info slip when talking to a fan.
    I actually got to meet and chat with Mike McCready in Quebec City and he did mention his love for Vancouver. I mentioned Pemberton and he asked me if it was really close to Vancouver, and I told him not so much, he said "Damn...I really love Vancouver"

Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • Options
    It's a 2 hour drive. That's shorter than Seattle to Vancouver :) or shorter than Seattle to the Gorge. I could see how you would get them mixed up or thing it was close.

I guess it's my OCD side but it bugs me leaving a PJ concert up to fate. I'd love to know the day so I can make plans, and I'd love to buy single day tickets :)
  • Options
    At this point camping has sold
    Out, but the grounds can hold
    A lot more people. I expect single day tickets to happen.

I've got a group of six going already. If single
    Day it will double that number

I think for this show even an hour enforce PJ comes on second row will be possible. The average age is pretty young, and I don't see many camping out to get rail. I could be wrong of course
  • Options
    Oh, and I'm going to call In My Tree as opener already!
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    Zod said:

It's a 2 hour drive. That's shorter than Seattle to Vancouver :) or shorter than Seattle to the Gorge. I could see how you would get them mixed up or thing it was close.

I guess it's my OCD side but it bugs me leaving a PJ concert up to fate. I'd love to know the day so I can make plans, and I'd love to buy single day tickets :)

Vancouver to Pemberton is 158 km or 98 miles....maybe close is a matter of perspective?

same as most peeps, for me doing all four days is a definite no go.
    without info on what day they play and if/when there's a one-day pass option within the next week or two...don't see how I could make it to this show
    since my daughter's wedding date was moved up to August...weekends in July are rapidly getting filled up for me.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    prism said:

Zod said:

Vancouver to Pemberton is 158 km or 98 miles....maybe close is a matter of perspective?

without info on what day they play and if/when there's a one-day pass option within the next week or two...don't see how I could make it to this show
    since my daughter's wedding date was moved up to August...weekends in July are rapidly getting filled up for me.
    I guess. 158km/98 miles seems close to me. Maybe it's because I grew up on Vancouver Island and going to shows in Vancouver usually means I have to log in almost 3.5 hours in travel time (driving/waiting/ferry/driving). Seattle is about 5 hours. Those are the two closest cities to me. 158km seems like peanuts to me :) Everything here is spread so far apart. The closest cities to Vancouver (population over a million) are Seattle (2.5 hour drive), Portland (4 to 5 hour drive), Calgary (10 to 11 hour drive), Edmonton (11 to 13 hour drive). In my brain anything less than 4 hours drive is peanuts :)

For me Pemberton would be 90 minutes of driving from Victoria to Nanaimo to catch the ferry (driving up Vancouver Island is more agreeable to me than taking the tswassen ferry and driving through Vancouver on the other side). About 2 hours to deal with the ferry (waiting and sailing), and 2 hours to Pemberton. That's 5.5 to 6 hours for me to get to Pemberton. That's a little more than Seattle but considerable less than going to the Gorge.

Vancouver and Seattle are the closest cities to me for concerts. Pemberton doesn't seem much further than Seattle for me. I guess it's all relative. If I'm willing to trek to all the Seattle/Gorge shows, it seems a shame to skip Pemberton :) It's not like the East coast here. We don't have alot of cities close together. Vancouver/Seattle area shows (and I suppose Portland) are all we get in less than half a days drive.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    I consider Pemberton pretty close to Vancouver. It's only about 30 or 40 minutes past Whistler, so around 2 1/2 hours from Vancouver. That's pretty close IMO.
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    Zod said:

prism said:

Zod said:

I guess. 158km/98 miles seems close to me. Maybe it's because I grew up on Vancouver Island and going to shows in Vancouver usually means I have to log in almost 3.5 hours in travel time (driving/waiting/ferry/driving). Seattle is about 5 hours. Those are the two closest cities to me. 158km seems like peanuts to me :) Everything here is spread so far apart. The closest cities to Vancouver (population over a million) are Seattle (2.5 hour drive), Portland (4 to 5 hour drive), Calgary (10 to 11 hour drive), Edmonton (11 to 13 hour drive). In my brain anything less than 4 hours drive is peanuts :)

For me Pemberton would be 90 minutes of driving from Victoria to Nanaimo to catch the ferry (driving up Vancouver Island is more agreeable to me than taking the tswassen ferry and driving through Vancouver on the other side). About 2 hours to deal with the ferry (waiting and sailing), and 2 hours to Pemberton. That's 5.5 to 6 hours for me to get to Pemberton. That's a little more than Seattle but considerable less than going to the Gorge.

Vancouver and Seattle are the closest cities to me for concerts. Pemberton doesn't seem much further than Seattle for me. I guess it's all relative. If I'm willing to trek to all the Seattle/Gorge shows, it seems a shame to skip Pemberton :) It's not like the East coast here. We don't have alot of cities close together. Vancouver/Seattle area shows (and I suppose Portland) are all we get in less than half a days drive.
    I get where you're coming from and the peanuts you speak of. :) I used to live in Victoria about 28 yrs ago before moving here....the city better known to most of your countrypeeps as Bellis fair mall...ha. ;)

coming from the island it'd totally makes sense to take the Nanaimo - Horseshoe Bay ferry. hopefully the date gets announced soon so you can make reservations on that run. ive waited for hours in alot of lines in both Sidney and Tswassen...and it sucketh.

been as far up as Whistler, so it looks like Pemberton's 150 miles or about 3 hours (give or take) from here depending on border times. having to go thru Vancouver could take longer.

the main issue for me is the date/timing...i have to consider wedding planning obligations that I won't be able to duck out of... I dare not risk the wrath of bridezilla.....lol
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    Outside of the hassle and logistical problems... will PJ play a typical set?

It seems to me, if I recall correctly, that festival set lists are short and geared towards the casual fan.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    It's hard to say. It used to be you'd have alot of good bands at a festival, so all the bands would get short sets (45 mins, an hour, maybe 90 minutes for the headliner). I think those days have changed. You now get a lot of filler and a big act at the end. When I saw PJ at the Virgin Fest in Calagary '09, they got to play their standard length set (just over 2 hours). Now that sets run 3 hours+ I'm not sure they'd get that long? But given what else is on the bill, why wouldn't they give PJ a giant chunk of time? :) The Calgary set definitely leaned heavier on classic albums but they also busted out Brother, so you never know :)
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Zod said:

It's hard to say. It used to be you'd have alot of good bands at a festival, so all the bands would get short sets (45 mins, an hour, maybe 90 minutes for the headliner). I think those days have changed. You now get a lot of filler and a big act at the end. When I saw PJ at the Virgin Fest in Calagary '09, they got to play they're standard length set (just over 2 hours). Now that sets run 3 hours+ I'm not sure they'd get that long? But given what else is on the bill, why wouldn't they give PJ a giant chunk of time? :) The Calgary set definitely leaned heavier on classic albums but they also busted out Brother, so you never know :)

Brother would have been sick!
    Only time they have played it I believe.I could be wrong.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    edited May 2016
    RobbyD462 said:

Brother would have been sick!
    Only time they have played it I believe.I could be wrong.

It was pretty sweet. I was curious so I went and looked it up. That tour happened just as Ten got the rerelease. Looks liked they played it in Calgary and several times on the Euro tour (which was days after Calgary). They played it once the year after and never again. I guess I was pretty lucky. They must not like playing it much.

I guess that answers the Festival question though. Even though it's a festival you still don't know what they're going to come out with.
  • Options
    Going to be a great July!

Pemberton,Wayhome and Osheaga-Sunday for Radiohead are on the horizon!

• Options
    Why doesnt RNDM play Pemberton?

• Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    It's gonna be a great summer all around! We have Pemberton then Fenway x 2, then straight to LA the next day to see Radiohead at the Shrine (only 6500 capacity!), back to Vancouver, down to Seattle for Guns n Roses, then off to Wrigley x 2!...and then Desert Trip. This year is running us broke, but what a year of live music! Really would like to try and add in Oshega or Lolla on the way to Fenway, but gotta draw the line somewhere.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    mwplum said:

It's gonna be a great summer all around! We have Pemberton then Fenway x 2, then straight to LA the next day to see Radiohead at the Shrine (only 6500 capacity!), back to Vancouver, down to Seattle for Guns n Roses, then off to Wrigley x 2!...and then Desert Trip. This year is running us broke, but what a year of live music! Really would like to try and add in Oshega or Lolla on the way to Fenway, but gotta draw the line somewhere.

You should hit up Festival D'ete in Quebec City. .. 11 days of amazing shows! For 90$
  • Options
    RobbyD462 said:

That would be really awesome, but Joseph is doing the tour for his new album this summer. He'll be on the East Coast mid-July.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    Also, there seems to be a lot of worry here about single day tickets. Rest assured that (although it's only been 2 years in its recent form) This Pemberton has always had single day tickets (announced by July 8, 2014 and July 10, 2015. In both cases they were about $160 CAD each, and to my recollection, no single day has ever sold out.

I appreciate that it sucks not knowing which day that will be until a week or two before the show, but given the past, there should definitely be single days available. Good luck all!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    Wow, $160?? Plus the shuttle from Whistler? Maybe i won't go after all.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

That would be really awesome, but Joseph is doing the tour for his new album this summer. He'll be on the East Coast mid-July.
    Ahh I see

• Options
    CB6978CB6978 Posts: 49
    PJ_Soul said:

Wow, $160?? Plus the shuttle from Whistler? Maybe i won't go after all.

Yeah wow that is pricey. I will justify it by not having to take a flight.

So they only give like a week notice on 1-day passes? Weak.
  • Options
    Yes it is very short notice. If I remember correct that ticket price includes shuttle
    One day $160 where there will be at least 20 artists performing isn't all that bad. Not good, not horrible
  • Options
    If that includes the shuttle maybe i can handle that. Maybe not, but maybe, lol.
  • Options
    Some googling showed that the last two years single day tickets were 129 plus 29 for a shuttle pass, so $158 total.