Troubled souls unite

dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
Ten years ago, Pearl Jam dropped the leash on their fans in Boston after nearly 12 years of not playing it. It was so awesome to be at that concert and watch everyone go absolutely nuts.

After the show, I dragged my tired girlfriend--we had traveled earlier that day from Brooklyn--to Bukowski Tavern, the site of our first date in 1999 and what would become our local thereafter for our Boston years (through 2005). As luck would have it, there was a table open--not just any table but the table at which we sat for our first date.

After we got our drinks, I knelt down on the filthy floor and finally asked my girlfriend for the past seven years to marry me.

And after saying something like "get outta my fuckin' face!"--I think it was "get the fuck outta here!"--she said yes!

I managed to get the poster in a trade a few years ago for my daughter's room. It's not a popular poster--although I think it's pretty cool--but she wouldn't be around if that night hadn't occurred.

Troubled souls unite! We got ourselves tonight!

Kathy, I'm by your side. I am right by your side.
I SAW PEARL JAM

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    You sappy bastard! Hahaha!!
    www.cluthelee.com
    I love how songs mean different things to people. Leash makes me want to run around and break stuff, go and tell 'the man' to get bent. Haha!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2016

I edited out the part where I called her a dummy for saying yes.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

Ah yes, behind every amazing woman is the husband, just trying to be 1/10th as awesome.
    www.cluthelee.com

dankind said:

Ah yes, behind every amazing woman is the husband, just trying to be 1/10th as awesome.
    I mean, let's face it: She could've done a whole better.

Imbecile!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    "Now go mow the lawn!"

Really though, that was very sweet, DK. And I dig the poster.
    dankind said:

dankind said:

Imbecile!
    Matter of opinion here man, she's quite lucky to have someone who posts like you do : )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    Awesome story, Its cool how things in life always come full circle. I love the fact that the poster is in your daughters room. A constant reminder that its the band that brought her into this world. Don't know if you are going to the Fenway shows but maybe they will drop the leash again. I sure as shit am hoping to get in Wrigley this year. Been chasing the song for years. My White Whale.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    :clap:
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

dankind said:

dankind said:

Imbecile!
    Matter of opinion here man, she's quite lucky to have someone who posts like you do : )
    Aw, Chris:

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    She must be pretty special to have stuck with you for the first 7 years...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Pap said:
    Holy fuck what a performance. I think I am going to use this video for my thread. Coming all the way from Miami to Wrigley for the 2 shows! 22+ years since its been played in Chicago, and almost 25 years since played in Miami. And only played once in each city. its fucking due. I just need 3:25 of the bands time. Lol.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'd say Kathy got lucky too :)
    A pearl jam family that jams together stays together.
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    :clap: "If not for love...."
  • WashedWashed Posts: 736
    I admit it - I lost my shit that night when they started playing Leash. :)
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    Awwww
  • LCLC North Andover, MA Posts: 253
    This night really put a stamp on a great few years with the band in the Boston area. The 3 night Mansfield experiment in 2003, deciding to play 2 shows in Boston to warm up the VFC tour in 2004 and then dropping the Leash at the 2nd show in 2006 for the first time in 12 years. At the time, the request for Leash had been in high demand.
    8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    LC said:

This night really put a stamp on a great few years with the band in the Boston area. The 3 night Mansfield experiment in 2003, deciding to play 2 shows in Boston to warm up the VFC tour in 2004 and then dropping the Leash at the 2nd show in 2006 for the first time in 12 years. At the time, the request for Leash had been in high demand.

Derry, NH!! Wow...I lived there for 2 years and went to Boston 2 at TD North in 04...hell of a show and atmosphere

as far as the OP...nice sappy PJ story..im almost jealous ha

• KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    edited May 2016
    dankind said:

Ten years ago, Pearl Jam dropped the leash on their fans in Boston after nearly 12 years of not playing it. It was so awesome to be at that concert and watch everyone go absolutely nuts.

After the show, I dragged my tired girlfriend--we had traveled earlier that day from Brooklyn--to Bukowski Tavern, the site of our first date in 1999 and what would become our local thereafter for our Boston years (through 2005). As luck would have it, there was a table open--not just any table but the table at which we sat for our first date.

After we got our drinks, I knelt down on the filthy floor and finally asked my girlfriend for the past seven years to marry me.

And after saying something like "get outta my fuckin' face!"--I think it was "get the fuck outta here!"--she said yes!

I managed to get the poster in a trade a few years ago for my daughter's room. It's not a popular poster--although I think it's pretty cool--but she wouldn't be around if that night hadn't occurred.

Troubled souls unite! We got ourselves tonight!

Kathy, I'm by your side. I am right by your side.

Good stuff
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Lemon Yellow SunLemon Yellow Sun Posts: 1,126
    Very nice Dan. Looking forward to finally meeting Kathy at Fenway.
  • morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    My first show was 4/11/94, the last time they played Leash. My next show was 12 years later, the first show they played leash in 12 years!!
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite