Let me hear from the poster experts

crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
edited May 2016 in Lost Dogs
I recently got a chrome transformers (xx/85 not the bonus) on here for $350. Got to me with a few minor creases on side. Real bummer but the seller was probably one of the best I've ever dealt with and gave me back $125.

I showed the poster to my friend and though he didnt like the show print, he is dying to have the chrome after seeing it. Neither he nor I really know how much it will cost him, though, because I just started collecting posters and only of shows I've been to. Im new to 10C and Lost Dogs and my friend isn't even a member. Can't really find much about price online either other than release price. I'm just not sure if $350 is an accurate price for a mint one today. That's just how much I could pay at the time. Was it worth more? Less? I dont know. Obviously, the $225 I ended up paying isnt the right number either. If someone can advise, I'd greatly appreciate it... so I can tell my friend how much the poster will cost him... so he can tell his wife a fourth of that amount. Haha
Post edited by crookedcross on

Comments

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    This here.... But these will be so hard to come by if you're buddy can come across one he/she might have to pay what the seller wants vs what the last one sold for.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    edited May 2016
    Expressobeans is your best resource for looking at prices for any poster, and you can also look up previous sales on ebay to see what people have paid on there.

From that page Dr Delight provided you can click the for sale or trade tab and see who is looking to sell that poster. At the bottom of that page you can also see what's available on ebay. Right now there's one available on there (ebay) for what seems to be a pretty fair price.
    Post edited by EnterThanman on
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    I'd also advise anyone buying a poster online to take the time to ask the seller about the poster's condition. It's common for inexperienced (or less than scrupulous) sellers to grade every poster they sell as "mint", with no specific details at all. And then a new collector, such as you, has to go through a hassle when the poster arrives in less-than-mint condition. Unfortunately, I'm now noticing that many sellers simply are not grading or describing the poster's condition at all! I guess their attitude is "well, you didn't ask...". The fact is, a poster's condition (yes, even tiny handling creases or dings) does effect the poster's value - especially when you're dropping several hundred dollars on a poster. And, if they don't clearly offer a money back guarantee if you're not happy with the condition, don't buy from them!
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    A lot of these didn't show up mint.

Mine showed up with a corner crease and scratches in the metallic aspect of the print. I remember quite an uproar on how these things were shipped
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    edited May 2016
    shecky said:

I'd also advise anyone buying a poster online to take the time to ask the seller about the poster's condition. It's common for inexperienced (or less than scrupulous) sellers to grade every poster they sell as "mint", with no specific details at all. And then a new collector, such as you, has to go through a hassle when the poster arrives in less-than-mint condition. Unfortunately, I'm now noticing that many sellers simply are not grading or describing the poster's condition at all! I guess their attitude is "well, you didn't ask...". The fact is, a poster's condition (yes, even tiny handling creases or dings) does effect the poster's value - especially when you're dropping several hundred dollars on a poster. And, if they don't clearly offer a money back guarantee if you're not happy with the condition, don't buy from them!

And never ever buy a poster without getting pictures of it
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853

A lot of these didn't show up mint.

Mine showed up with a corner crease and scratches in the metallic aspect of the print. I remember quite an uproar on how these things were shipped

My Chrome showed up perfect. My Gold had to be returned...
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    edited May 2016
    A poster is valued at whatever you're willing to pay for it.
    The prices that some people pay for some posters are absurd in my opinion. I, like many others here, have benefitted from good reasonable trades and purchases from people on this forum. Of course the concept of reasonable is ambiguous. If you're patient, what you're looking for at your price/trade will come around more times than not.

I am not a poster expert by any definition. People that thrive on the ridiculous prices are those looking to make a buck - albeit a big buck in some cases. If you like the artwork, like music, you don't let it go - for any price.

I hope, OP, that you find what you're looking for at a price/trade that doesn't leave you swallowing your pride.

Good fans don't sell other fans Pearl Jam inspired art/merchandise at an inflated price that they had no hand in creating - food for thought :)

Have a great week...... this Greenville 2016 bootleg is great
    Post edited by BF89905 on
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    BF89905 said:

A poster is valued at whatever you're willing to pay for it

Incorrect.
  • front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    The Chrome was $200 new and ended up being rarer than the Gold $250.

Not many Chrome are up for sale, they have gone for $400-$500.

They will probably become harder to come by and stay around $500 for a mint one, just because they have made their way into the hand's of collectors now.
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    shecky said:

I'd also advise anyone buying a poster online to take the time to ask the seller about the poster's condition. It's common for inexperienced (or less than scrupulous) sellers to grade every poster they sell as "mint", with no specific details at all. And then a new collector, such as you, has to go through a hassle when the poster arrives in less-than-mint condition.

Poster was mint and every picture possible was sent before purchase... Probably shoulda said that. When it got here, though, the tube was dented coz of shipping. My heart dropped a bit. Im sure it was just an accident, and the seller was very quick to give me $125 back, so no biggie. The small creases on one side are now hardly noticeable after it's been framed. So I ended up with a pretty rare and sweet print that means a lot to me for just the release price. I'm pretty grateful for that. Thank you for the advice.
    edited May 2016

BF89905 said:

A poster is valued at whatever you're willing to pay for it

Incorrect.
    Kinda agree. I would say a mix of how much it means to you and budget. Probably helps that I only collect posters of shows I've been to. Not really the type who can just drop $300 on every poster I like. Although, I did catch myself thinking about future value of my chrome and someone here had to knock me out of it so now I'm just happy to have all the posters that mean something to me.
    Post edited by crookedcross on
    BF89905 said:

Good fans don't sell other fans Pearl Jam inspired art/merchandise at an inflated price that they had no hand in creating - food for thought :)

Have a great week...... this Greenville 2016 bootleg is great

That would make things much easier
    Seems like 400 to 500 is the verdict. Figured /85 part would make it hard to come by. Sheesh... Thank you all. My buddy will appreciate your inputs. He's gonna be so mad I got mine for $225. Haha