Steph Curry

He's unbelievable. Single handedly outscores the Blazers in overtime with 17 points after being out over two weeks. I don't care if you're a basketball fan or not, this guy is flat out incredible.

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADxZ7jr67Eg

best shooter i've ever seen and i've been watching hoops for a pretty damn long time.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    Mr. MVP. What a joy to watch.
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    How easy people forget the NBA in the 90s.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

How easy people forget the NBA in the 90s.

What does this have to do with Curry?
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    edited May 2016
    Steph curry is good. Top 2 or 3 in the game. I don't think he could play at the level he's playing now in the 90s.
    Curry is the best in today's game. Period.

For him in the 90's I agree. He would spend most of the game on his back as he isn't big/strong enough to deal with the hand checks and physicallity. But I also will say while Jordan is the greatest ever he would have had issues in this era adjusting to it. He never had to sprint up and down the court and deal with chasing players around on defense like they do now. The game is much more complex now than it was then. The Spurs and now Warriors are doing more things on offense with motion and movement they didn't employ back then. Back then it was all Iso ball which Jordan was the king of. With zone rules now teams would just double/tripple him and not let him get any room or into a lane. Curry excels dealing with these new defensive rules.

I bolded adjusting so you didn't think I was stating he couldn't play in todays game. Jordan would dominate any era. It's just not the same game as it was 25 years ago.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    edited May 2016
    LeBron may beg to differ with that sentiment.

Look what the Warriors did without steph. Now take LeBron away from the cavs, they're nothing.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

LeBron may beg to differ with that sentiment.

Look what the Warriors did without steph. Now take LeBron away from the cavs, they're nothing.

just because you're the best player on your team doesn't make you the mvp of the league ... curry's numbers this year were fucking ridiculous ... if there was some metric of the level of difficulty in some of his makes this year - it would be off the charts ...
    If we were talking about 2 or 3 seasons ago I would agree with you about Lebron. The Heat could also have survived games without Lebron as they were stacked also. Even without Lebron and now Bosh the Heat are a playoff team and in the second round. It is not Steph's fault nor should he be punished the Warriors built a damn good team that can contend without him. They would not be able to get past the Spurs or Thunder without Steph. Steph turns what is a very good team to one of the best ever.

Do you punish Jordan for having Pippen? Last I checked Bulls minus Jordan when he was suspended for gambling were still a playoff team.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    With Jordan the Bulls win 6 titles. Without jordan, the bull win 0 titles.

MVP is just that. Most valuable to your team. Not the best in the league. But that's a different argument
    And he was not suspended for gambling. What an absurd conspiracy theory.
    I'll wait 3 minutes.
    pretty sure kyri with love could have dusted the hawks
    You can believe what you want about Jordan. Dude was and is a degenerate gambler.

Warriors don't win last season without Steph and they don't have a shot this season without Steph. Same arguements you are making about Jordan apply to him as well. Warriors are just starting and I don't see them getting anywhere near 6. Maybe 3 or 4 at the most. I think they get it this season again and will be the favorites next season. Durrant going somewhere will decide how the next 5 years play out. If he goes to Warriors then I think they can get 6. If he ends up with Spurs or stays with OKC then the road past a few gets a lot harder.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    polaris_x said:

Probably. But if LeBron isn't with the cavs all year, Cleveland isn't the 1 seed. Probably not even a 6 seed.

polaris_x said:

Probably. But if LeBron isn't with the cavs all year, Cleveland isn't the 1 seed. Probably not even a 6 seed.
    sure ... but you could make that argument for every team's best player ... the nba only plays like 10 guys per team so 1 player is gonna make a huge difference ...
    I agree. But I think the Warriors are so good, they would have been the 1 seed without curry. They don't win 73, but they definitely remain the best team in the league.
    edited May 2016

For him in the 90's I agree. He would spend most of the game on his back as he isn't big/strong enough to deal with the hand checks and physicallity. But I also will say while Jordan is the greatest ever he would have had issues in this era adjusting to it. He never had to sprint up and down the court and deal with chasing players around on defense like they do now. The game is much more complex now than it was then. The Spurs and now Warriors are doing more things on offense with motion and movement they didn't employ back then. Back then it was all Iso ball which Jordan was the king of. With zone rules now teams would just double/tripple him and not let him get any room or into a lane. Curry excels dealing with these new defensive rules.

I bolded adjusting so you didn't think I was stating he couldn't play in todays game. Jordan would dominate any era. It's just not the same game as it was 25 years ago.

Isiah Thomas didn't have too many problems nor did Stockton in that era. Curry would have been one of the best players in the 90s as well. Certain guys talent and abilities can transcend era. Jordan , LeBron, Curry would be great in any era. Guy is the best shooter I've ever seen and I've seen every great NBA player since about 1978 on. I know people bring up Bird, Ray Allen and Reggie Miller (might have been in the NBA thread) but Curry does it on the move, off the dribble all of it. Bird, Allen and Miller were mostly stand still jump shooters. Curry the past 2 years has been ridiculous shooting the ball. Curry is so good with the ball because his balance is unbelievable. He is like Iverson in that regard. Iverson had unbelievable balance as well. they can move on a plane that mere mortals can't. Curry is never off balance and just glides in perfect rhythm from spot to spot on the floor (not sure i'm explaining it right though).
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    pjhawks said:

Isiah Thomas didn't have too many problems nor did Stockton in that era. Curry would have been one of the best players in the 90s as well. Certain guys talent and abilities can transcend era. Jordan , LeBron, Curry would be great in any era. Guy is the best shooter I've ever seen and I've seen every great NBA player since about 1978 on. I know people bring up Bird, Ray Allen and Reggie Miller (might have been in the NBA thread) but Curry does it on the move, off the dribble all of it. Bird, Allen and Miller were mostly stand still jump shooters. Curry the past 2 years has been ridiculous shooting the ball. Curry is so good with the ball because his balance is unbelievable. He is like Iverson in that regard. Iverson had unbelievable balance as well. they can move on a plane that mere mortals can't. Curry is never off balance and just glides in perfect rhythm from spot to spot on the floor (not sure i'm explaining it right though).
    ya ... and his legit make range is well past the 3 point line ... dude regularly hits half court shots in practice ...
    I don't know. The game is way less physical now than even 10 years ago. Allen Iverson got the shit beat out of him every night. I'm not sure curry would last 4 or 5 years in the mid 90s.
    I do agree that curry is one of, if not the best pure shooter ever. Dude can pop a 3 from anywhere on the court and it is expected to go in. He's definitely a joy to watch. The NBA has been lacking a true shooter like steph.

I agree. But I think the Warriors are so good, they would have been the 1 seed without curry. They don't win 73, but they definitely remain the best team in the league.

No way they finish above the spurs without Curry.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle

No way they finish above the spurs without Curry.
    The spurs did have a great season. Would have been close.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722

I can't believe people actually believe that. Yes, Jordan is a degenerate gambler. But no fucking way Stern secretly suspends the most popular athlete in the world in the middle of his prime.

MVP is just that. Most valuable to your team. Not the best in the league. But that's a different argument

The award should just be called the "best player in the league" award.

I can't believe people actually believe that. Yes, Jordan is a degenerate gambler. But no fucking way Stern secretly suspends the most popular athlete in the world in the middle of his prime.
    the counter argument is no way the best player in the world just up and leaves the game for no good reason and decides to ride buses in the low minor leagues to play baseball. absurd to think of the best player ever just upping and leaving the game like that on his on fruition don't you think?
    pjhawks said:

the counter argument is no way the best player in the world just up and leaves the game for no good reason and decides to ride buses in the low minor leagues to play baseball. absurd to think of the best player ever just upping and leaving the game like that on his on fruition don't you think?
    While the notion of the best in the world walking away is pretty crazy, I think that is much more likely than the NBA forcing him to go away when he was the biggest star in the world at that time. That is when the NBA really became a global game...can't imagine them sending him away at the height of his powers.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

pjhawks said:

While the notion of the best in the world walking away is pretty crazy, I think that is much more likely than the NBA forcing him to go away when he was the biggest star in the world at that time. That is when the NBA really became a global game...can't imagine them sending him away at the height of his powers.
    The recent tiger article compared his obsession with the navy seals after his dad died to Jordan's obsession with baseball after his did. Basically, both of them became obsessed with something that was a big part of their father's life after they died

For some reason, I can't stand curry
    In all honestly I don't think Jordan was suspended for gambling, but the idea of it is funny and one I hope ends up to be true. I would not have put it past Stern back then to do something like that rather than go the Pete Rose route and ban him.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    Jorgans dad had just been murdered. He just won his third straight title. By then, he was already being considered the greatest of all time. He could do whatever he wanted, and he did. It really isn't that surprising.