Options

GA has gone soft?

Comments

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562

Dumb thread - it's not 1994 else Ed would be dropping off the rafters on top of the same 12 year old girl's head that he later ensures gets the tambourine you stole from her.

You can have personal space, jump around if the music moves you to, and sing your balls off without trying to live the good ole days and while preserving your dignity by acting your age.

Given the fitness of most of the PJ fans, most of us wouldn't make through MYM anyway at the '94 pace. I personally don't want you hitting me, sweating on me, or pressing your distended gut against me like some dude was doing in merch line at Miami.

what would you personally do, if this happened though. Would you get all accusatory and entitled to those invading your space like you own it? .., or would you leave and find a better space for yourself. That's the difference between the decades.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,698
    People enjoy things differently, but folk do need to realise there is no 'my spot' in GA. Its nice to be respectful to each other and be understanding of those who waited to get where they are, but to hear people say 'this is my spot' is weird.

The only thing that broke my mind was the selfie takers with their back to the band for 80% of the time, smiling right at me........I still cant wrap my head around it. Im not talking one photo either, it was every fucking song.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited May 2016
    I've GA'ed it 3 times, Leeds, Hampton, and Columbia...these are my experiences from the first 2.

Copy and pasted from Leeds UK FV

"Pingfah said: There were two absolute dickheads in the pit who barged their way to the front and proceeded to act with absolutely no regard for anybody else, elbowing people in the face etc, I don't know if anybody noticed, couple of Scottish guys, chunky looking meatheads with awful chav aftershave, they did their best to wreck it for others, but nobody could have wrecked that gig, it was simply superb.

Tiki said: I was right behind these two, I mean directly behind them. One had a Sex Pistols tattoo on his neck. It did get quite rough down there. There was also a very tall, I mean HUGE long haired German dude, (he had his GA wristband and a Rock Werchter wristband too...he got Eddies last tambo...) as soon as Breakerfall started (the fourth song) he made an intentional effort to move the entire center of the crowd forward, and from then on, when the tempo was up, three rows back from Ed was pretty outta control. I'm a grown assed man and if you push me I will resist, but there were ladies trapped in there, including my wife. I'm sure it looked good from up above, but it was dicey.

That being said...I'm agreeing with Ping...no one could have wrecked that gig. I was at Charlottesville and Leeds was just as good.

Seeing Ed slam that mic stand twice from 3 rows back AND channel Pete AND All Along the Watchtower AND Don't Gimme No Lip (Problem?)...oh man."

Copy and pasted from Hampton FV

"The wife and I GA'ed it, showed up at 330pm and ended up 3 people deep on Stoney's side. Met nothing but super cool people. I thought the show was excellent. I dealt with a totally different GA douchebag wearing the black 2016 tour t-shirt who suddenly arrived with a beer drop that I heard and that I felt on the back of my legs. If you encountered him, you'd know. I turned around and I had a new 50 year old buddy (I'll be fifty this year, so I can tell...) who felt he needed to be completely up my ass during the entirety of Wishlist. I immediately told him that he was WAY to close to me, to which he replied that I had no monopoly on space. He also kindly told me that he had no problem "taking me out", and asked me "what happened to southern hospitality", and even though I had on a Red Sox hat he suggested I "go back to Jersey". Jesus. It is pretty difficult to shift gears from "I'm having the best time in the world" to "is this sort of bigger than me asshole going to ruin my shit with my wife standing here". My response to him was a pretty mellow fuck you bro, which then became this overextended exercise in him becoming even more belligerent, pushy and doooshy. He then proceeded to cruise right on in front of me and said "you fucking hate me now, don't you?" I confirmed that, ("Oh I do fucking hate you...") just so he knew, but with a huge smile on my face. I assumed at that point he wasn't going to get physical with me, because if it hadn't happened right away or already, then I figured it wasn't going to. An incongruent smile in a situation like that can pretty disarming...
    Unfortunately for him, his move forward had him set up directly behind the biggest dude in our area (my former spot) AND he timed it right as Sirens started. I cozied up right next to his ear, put my hand on his shoulder...like way too close. "How's the view up there, are you fucking happy now, doooooosh?", all the while I'm maintaining this maniacal smile. I started serenading him as loudly and off key as possible right in his ear. "Heear the siiiiiireeeeeeens?" Everyone in the area was aware of what was happening, mostly because of my loud vocal bitching. Shortly thereafter, the big dude in front of both of us with the headband had just about enough and moved him back behind me like an offensive lineman. Douche made another attempt to stick around but I was like you gotta get the fuck away from me and my wife, dude."

My only issue with Columbia was I was almost too close. During Porch, Ed was right effing above me, and I was worried he was going to drip sweat in my mouth.

so...where's the middle ground?
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Free said:

Dumb thread - it's not 1994 else Ed would be dropping off the rafters on top of the same 12 year old girl's head that he later ensures gets the tambourine you stole from her.

You can have personal space, jump around if the music moves you to, and sing your balls off without trying to live the good ole days and while preserving your dignity by acting your age.

Given the fitness of most of the PJ fans, most of us wouldn't make through MYM anyway at the '94 pace. I personally don't want you hitting me, sweating on me, or pressing your distended gut against me like some dude was doing in merch line at Miami.

what would you personally do, if this happened though. Would you get all accusatory and entitled to those invading your space like you own it? .., or would you leave and find a better space for yourself. That's the difference between the decades.
    So your stance now extends to the merch line? This is ridiculous. There IS such a thing as personal space -- what in the heck is wrong with you? Free means that you can do whatever you want? Damn everyone else?
    No sense in arguing here.
    Anyone that thinks someone being upset by another person poking their beer gut into the person in front of them in line is ridiculous (and that the person being poked should just go and find a better space in line) is without a clue.
    Carry on doing your best to agitate people.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    Free said:

Personally, I think if you position yourself directly in front of Ed in the first 10 rows you should expect it being tight. If not then they should just bring back seats. If you want a little more elbow room you move to the sides.

Having said that people who push up from the back are assholes. In Leeds two years ago we were 2nd or 3rd row in front of Ed and when 'Breakerfall' kicked in and there was a massive rush towards the stage. It was so tight it was actually hard to get out of it and get to the sides. I could have easily lifted my feet off the ground and being packed so tight I wouldn't have fallen down. Guys were squirming and positioning their bodies in any space available to get in front of you. I was with 5 people. Once the rush started I didn't see any of them again until after the show. After about 15 songs trying to hold my ground I gave up and found a less crowded area. Great show though!! And I learned my lesson- if I'm not on the rail in Europe I'll go in front of Stone or Mike. Dead center is still pretty chaotic.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    Lifted said:

Spend a little more time enjoying yourself than worrying about how other people are enjoying themselves. You'll have a better time. We're talking about a 25 year old classic rock band.

agreed
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options

Free said:

So your stance now extends to the merch line? This is ridiculous. There IS such a thing as personal space -- what in the heck is wrong with you? Free means that you can do whatever you want? Damn everyone else?
    Anyone that thinks someone being upset by another person poking their beer gut into the person in front of them in line is ridiculous (and that the person being poked should just go and find a better space in line) is without a clue.
    Did I say anything about a merch line?

Carry on being offended...
    I post merely to point out how offended we are as a society nowadays, so of Course, people will get offended...
  • Options
    It's OK to be offended when dealing with offensive people.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Free said:

Free said:

Did I say anything about a merch line?

Carry on being offended...
    I post merely to point out how offended we are as a society nowadays, so of Course, people will get offended...
    Go back and look at the post you responded to and read what was in bold print. The example was from a merch line incident. I am not offended -- I just don't do Java Man. We evolved past that.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    This isn't 'Nam, there are rules
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    eddiec said:

Free said:

Personally, I think if you position yourself directly in front of Ed in the first 10 rows you should expect it being tight. If not then they should just bring back seats. If you want a little more elbow room you move to the sides.

Having said that people who push up from the back are assholes. In Leeds two years ago we were 2nd or 3rd row in front of Ed and when 'Breakerfall' kicked in and there was a massive rush towards the stage. It was so tight it was actually hard to get out of it and get to the sides. I could have easily lifted my feet off the ground and being packed so tight I wouldn't have fallen down. Guys were squirming and positioning their bodies in any space available to get in front of you. I was with 5 people. Once the rush started I didn't see any of them again until after the show. After about 15 songs trying to hold my ground I gave up and found a less crowded area. Great show though!! And I learned my lesson- if I'm not on the rail in Europe I'll go in front of Stone or Mike. Dead center is still pretty chaotic.
    I had this experience at the Borgata show in 2005 and it scared the fuck out of me. 2nd song Porch kicked in and there was a huge push to the front. For about 5 seconds it was incredibly scary. I honestly thought I was in danger. I grabbed the shoulders of the guy in front of me to stay on my feet. If I hadn't I probably would have gone down and would have been in serious trouble. A girl who was standing a few feet next to me was pushed way up front and next time i saw her she was coming out of the front in tears. me and my buddy just headed towards the back away from the huge pile of people and I vowed right then to never be in a GA section again.

and would venues even allow moshing anymore? I know Ed would lose his shit if anyone did it in front of him.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jason P said:

You got that right, Jason!

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I went to a bunch of concerts and hockey games with this guy... loves music but is a product of the 80s....

Anyways, each show was a constant obsession of him finding closer location, whether it's finding unoccupied seats or pushing to the front of a ga (or sneaking into the ga). His one patented move was grabbing two beers, raising them over his head and making his way to the front so it appears he is returning with someone's beer.

I thought it was such a waste. He wouldn't enjoy the event or chill. He would always get up front for the last song or two and return saying how awesome it was... and maybe show me a pic...
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    Well you wanted GA that's what comes with enjoy it it's here to stay , this band is way past the Norelco pits of people moving in unison it's over this is PJ of 2016 they are old as most of us are !!!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PearlybakerPearlybaker Posts: 207
    Free said:

In Jax there was a nice setup in front of Mike with good energy and good space, right as the show started some clown positioned himself in front me with two beers, he was short so I didn't say anything. As the show went on the dude got pretty lit and started staggering back and forth into people while trying to hug me and talk me during every song - I told him a couple times shut the fuck up I'm listening to the song.

After the third time he stepped on my wife's feet from staggering around, I told his girl she better move him or I was going to take him out, she moved him away 5 feet or so.

So does that answer your question?

"Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539

Free said:

In Jax there was a nice setup in front of Mike with good energy and good space, right as the show started some clown positioned himself in front me with two beers, he was short so I didn't say anything. As the show went on the dude got pretty lit and started staggering back and forth into people while trying to hug me and talk me during every song - I told him a couple times shut the fuck up I'm listening to the song.

After the third time he stepped on my wife's feet from staggering around, I told his girl she better move him or I was going to take him out, she moved him away 5 feet or so.

#EvenBros
  • Options

Free said:

I think you handled this perfectly.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    hedonist said:

Jason P said:

You got that right, Jason!

hahahha
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Cheo RamirezCheo Ramirez Posts: 676

In bogota GA my foot was bleeding because a nail went though my shoe , it was quite difficult to jump with one foot during Given to fly, finally i remove it when a slow song come....
    Santiago I 2005
    Santiago II 2005
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Alpine Valley PJ20 I 2011
    Alpine Valley PJ 20 II 2011
    Santiago 2011
    Lima 2011
    Buenos Aires 2013
    Brooklyn I 2013
    Brooklyn II 2013
    Santiago 2015
    Bogota 2015
    Ft Lauderdale 2016
    Miami 2016
    Rio de Janeiro 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

GA at usa is like making love and in SA and Europe like hardcore sex

haha love this!

I don't believe there should be mosh pits, especially as we get older, but showing some sort of life as the show is going on would be nice as the band does feed off that. I know they did in Lexington

• Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Interesting topic. I miss the old days where etiquette was being sure to hit the joint ONCE, then pass it. I have no issues with anybody acting a fool at a show if it doesn't include being an asshole to others. I elbowed a dude in front of me in Hampton once or twice, apologized and all was good.
    I expect GA to be a zoo... If it's not, that's a bonus.If you don't want to be crowded, then you should consider reserved.I try to get seats at the end of a row when I want to have space.
    Crowd participation just depends on ages..hard to rock out for 3 hour shows at 40 something as opposed to 90 min sets when you're 20 something..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Habit at the 80 min mark is unfair to the elderly.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748

I'm almost 40. I don't want assholes bumping I to me all night.

Just a thought, but you probably should get RS from now on.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Just my opinion....Standing somewhere for 2 hours without issue and then Joe Douchebag arrives 6 or seven songs in and claims a spot in the name of rock'nroll or mother Russia or the Trump for president campaign, or for any effing other reason is just uncool. Your good time cannot come at the expense of my good time. I would immediately call anyone, (be they Evenbro or Evenho) on that shit, and you should too.

It's not "soft", or being "entitled"...it's realistic, until BEER is involved.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    Being intolerant of assholes is not the same as being entitled. If there are large pieces of floor real estate that people aren't filling in, cool. If you're pushing through people to get closer to the stage, you're an asshole. If you are rocking out to the show, cool. If you're rocking out of control with no regard for your neighbors, smashing into them, throwing elbows, etc., you're an asshole.

Don't be an asshole. It's pretty simple.
    2013: Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG I, MSG II, Fenway I, Fenway II
    2018: Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Tiki said:

Just my opinion....Standing somewhere for 2 hours without issue and then Joe Douchebag arrives 6 or seven songs in and claims a spot in the name of rock'nroll or mother Russia or the Trump for president campaign, or for any effing other reason is just uncool. Your good time cannot come at the expense of my good time. I would immediately call anyone ,(be they Evenbro or Evenho) on that shit, and you should too.

It's not "soft", or being "entitled"...it's realistic, until BEER is involved.

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

Being intolerant of assholes is not the same as being entitled. If there are large pieces of floor real estate that people aren't filling in, cool. If you're pushing through people to get closer to the stage, you're an asshole. If you are rocking out to the show, cool. If you're rocking out of control with no regard for your neighbors, smashing into them, throwing elbows, etc., you're an asshole.

Don't be an asshole. It's pretty simple.

AMEN #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Free said:

Except for the threat, yeah, you handled it pretty well.
  • Options

Habit at the 80 min mark is unfair to the elderly.

This is funny shit right here.
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Lallapalooza 1992 -- Today 2016 ---- okay I admit.. I'm softer now and my feet hurt after a show. So? ;)
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh