Comments

• nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    I respect their right to do this, but why 48 hours out?

This issue has been swirling around for quite a while and a more timely decision would have been easier on fans who have scheduled time off, made travel plans, etc.

JMHO
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    Very disappointing.
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • agreed, why wait to cancel?
  • 63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    That's so shitty.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Someone please explain the benefit of this. I know there are more important things than my fandom, of course, and the legislation is BS, but how does this help? Does it really hurt NC that dramatically by bands cancelling? And on a personal moan and groan level, had I known a week ago, I would have attended that amazing Greenville show- should've anyways, but couldn't afford to go. Now, I miss it all. Woe is me, I know- just really not pleased with my band right now.
    I'm still alive!
  • MB880MB880 nj Posts: 13
    Proud of you pearl jam.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Yeah really why wait so long?
  • So incredibly sorry for those of you who had planned on attending the Raleigh show. But in my heart of hearts, this is the just and morally right action, and I respect Pearl Jam tremendously for making what must have been an extremely difficult decision.
    I would've fallen from the sky, till you...
  • nukeboot said:

I respect their right to do this, but why 48 hours out?

This issue has been swirling around for quite a while and a more timely decision would have been easier on fans who have scheduled time off, made travel plans, etc.

JMHO

Agreed. I'm not going, but came real close to trying for this show, and I'd have put a whole lot of $ and effort into it being a very special personal occasion that would have been RUINED. To wait until 2 days before is UTTER BULLSHIT. I appreciate the sentiment... I do, but... gotta say.... very disappointed that they would treat their fans this way. Same with Bruce... don't do new stuff, but don't screw over the fans who long ago planned for the current stuff.
    Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
    Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic
  • They should not have waited this long. He hinted about this law at Greenville show. I live somewhat local to Raleigh, but I feel bad for others who made travel plans that were much greater. See you in Columbia.
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855

So incredibly sorry for those of you who had planned on attending the Raleigh show. But in my heart of hearts, this is the just and morally right action, and I respect Pearl Jam tremendously for making what must have been an extremely difficult decision.

Well said....
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• ...But in my heart of hearts, this is the just and morally right action...

No it's not... it's bandwagoning at it's worst. It would have been the morally right action 2 weeks ago. This is just a BIG FUCK YOU to the fans, and will mean NOTHING to the idiots who passed this law.
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

• myrtmyrt Posts: 2
    edited April 2016
    48 hours before the show???? Lame. Very lame. Thinking of skipping Lexington as well. No longer my favorite band. Cancelling a show has no impact on the lawmakers who passed this ridiculous law. Fuck you back PJ.
    Post edited by myrt on
  • jakesevenjakeseven Posts: 15

So incredibly sorry for those of you who had planned on attending the Raleigh show. But in my heart of hearts, this is the just and morally right action, and I respect Pearl Jam tremendously for making what must have been an extremely difficult decision.

The right action in what way? Do you think politicians are sitting in their offices saying, "Oh, Bruce, PJ, Boston have cancelled their show, let's think this over..."

No, they aren't. The steps to amend the process are already happening. Could it be probably be a bit faster, yes. The democratic process (which if you were a fan attending shows anytime between 03-06, you'd have heard 5x a show from Eddie), is working.
  • DH30857DH30857 Posts: 36
    Why would they not play the show and make it publicly known to the lawmakers of NC that all of the millions they would make off this show are going to fight whatever law they are against? That would be far more helpful to whatever Ed wants to support than just screwing over their fans. They know good and effing well that their fans travel from far away to see them play live shows and to cancel with 2 days notice is garbage.
  • myoung321 said:

Well said....
    </blockquote
    My heart of hearts agrees too
  • concertaholicshirtconcertaholicshirt Posts: 263
    edited April 2016
    DH30857 said:

Why would they not play the show and make it publicly known to the lawmakers of NC that all of the millions they would make off this show are going to fight whatever law they are against?

Exxxxxactly! Although it'd more like a low-mid 6-figure number, but... still....
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

• zevilonezevilone Posts: 339

agreed, why wait to cancel?

maybe they were hoping that NC would change their mind about the law
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,291
    This is terrible timing and hurts the people who are working that day and have nothing to do with any of this. I hope Columbia has an amazing show on Thursday, more than three hours.

Band should've cancelled weeks ago.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• encompassing tripencompassing trip Columbia SC Posts: 160
    When you make a commitment to do something and others are depending on you...then you follow through with your commitment. Period. End of story.
  • Play the Ten album in it's entirety in Columbia! That might make up for this craziness!! The law was not going to change in the past 24 hours. Better ways to handle this.
  • It is completely irrational for the band to take this step. There are thousands of good people who actually side with PJ on this issue who will be alienated by this cancellation. To be honest, I'm kind of shocked. I've supported all of the band's activism for a long time, and this... this is just monumentally over-the-top and WRONG.
    When one does not see what one does not see, one does not even see that one is blind. -Paul Veyne
  • quarterto10quarterto10 Posts: 47
    edited April 2016

...But in my heart of hearts, this is the just and morally right action...

No it's not... it's bandwagoning at it's worst. It would have been the morally right action 2 weeks ago. This is just a BIG FUCK YOU to the fans, and will mean NOTHING to the idiots who passed this law.
    I agree that it would have been better to cancel the show earlier to make the process less painful for everyone involved. But regardless, I support Pearl Jam's decision.
    Post edited by quarterto10 on
    I would've fallen from the sky, till you...
  • toridaniothtoridanioth West Seattle Posts: 130
    When The Boss cancelled I knew PJ wouldn't be far behind however I prefer what Mumford and Sons are doing- not cancelling and giving ALL proceeds to the organizations fighting this law. Why punish the fans?
    Lolla Alpine Valley 8/29/92 ,Key Arena 11/5/00 , Key Arena 11/6/00, NOLAJazzfest 5/1/10, Wrigley 7/19(20)/13, SD 11/21/13, LA 11/23/13, LA 11/24/13, Bridge School 2014, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16, Seattle 2018 both nights!
    EV Long Beach 7/6/11 , LA Wiltern (miracled in) 7/8/11
  • I love PJ just as much as most of you on this forum and have sided with them since 1992 with all their moral and political stands, but this is a little much. They could find something in every state to decide not to play. I was just telling someone earlier today how the Greenville show re-energized my love for PJ. This took it down a notch for sure.
  • tdubtdub Posts: 226
    This accomplishes nothing. If PJ wanted to show some real balls they would have used the show in Raleigh as a platform to rally support for their cause....Rather than be irresponsible by waiting 48 hours before showtime to make this decision. They are a part of a huge business - and I know I cannot make the decision to lay out of work because I disagree with politics...which they should be held to the same standard. This is not an honorable move but a cowardly one by this band.

The world is too damn soft these days. Toughen up people!
  • michael_augustinemichael_augustine Chicago Posts: 40
    Hurting nobody but your loyal fan base. How about all of the people who travel to see you from states/countries who have nothing to do with NC?
    Cincinnati 00'
    Cleveland 03'
    Pittsburgh 03'
    Cincinnati 06'
    Chicago 08' (EV Into the Wild 1 & 2)
    Chicago 09' (1 & 2)
    Chicago 11' (EV Uke 1 & 2)
    East Troy 11' (PJ20 1 & 2)
    Chicago 13' (Wrigley)
    Brooklyn 13' (1 & 2)
    Moline 14' (No Code)
    Milwaukee 14' (Yield)
    Chicago 16" (Wrigley 1 & 2)

• jessebasijessebasi Toronto Posts: 149
    There was a better opportunity here. Put them through real pain. Just play Sirens 36 times.
    2016 - Toronto I (Binaural!), Toronto II
    2020 - Toronto, Hamilton
  • In2DeepIn2Deep Posts: 496
    edited April 2016
    I respect and agree why they did this. However, I already paid for air, hotel and a car in advance. So 2 days notice does not change that this state is still getting my money, because of Pearl Jam. And I'm sure others are in the same boat. So I'm still stuck going to Raleigh, because it would hurt my wallet even more to cancel. Lame.
    Post edited by In2Deep on
  • Do the Evolution69Do the Evolution69 BOSTON Posts: 223
    the 48 hour notice thing is the stinger here. other bands cancelled gigs over a week ago. gotta give people more notice to be able to recoup deposits on hotel and travel reservations. that stuff is expensive and many will have a hard time getting money back from non-refundable reservations. there are no winners here, especially within the north carolina legislature
    Live Music Epiphanies - "I can feel your heart in your neck..."
    '98 Great Woods 1 (9/15/98)
    '00 Great Woods 1 (8/29/00)
    '03 Great Woods 1, 2 & 3 (7/2/03, 7/3/03, *7/11/03*)
    '04 Boston Garden 1 & 2 (9/28/04, 9/29/04)
    '06 Boston Garden 1 & 2 (5/24/06, 5/25/06)
    '08 Great Woods 1 & 2 (6/28/08, 6/30/08)
    '10 Boston Garden (5/17/10)
    '13 Wooostahhh 1 & 2 (10/15/13, 10/16/13)
    '16 MSG 1 & Fenway 1 & 2
    '18 Fenway 2