Get in line early for GA pit.

I am beyond thrilled that I will have GA pit tickets for the show in Columbia, SC next week. I was wondering if anyone who has been in be out before if you recommend getting in line early. I want to be as close as possible( I'm 5'6) so I don't get stuck behind someone taller than me. Any suggestions? Or is it somewhat easy to make your way to the front? Thanks!! Can't wait to rock out!!
Charleston, SC 1996
Greensboro, NC 2000
Atlant, GA 2003
Las Vegas, 2006
Columbia, SC 2008
Wrigley Field 2013

Comments

• RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    Get in line early.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • bh197798bh197798 Posts: 19
    got in line for the Ft Lauderdale show around 5:30 and we were 5 people deep...and that's with stopping for a double gin & tonic on the way.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    bh197798 said:

got in line for the Ft Lauderdale show around 5:30 and we were 5 people deep...and that's with stopping for a double gin & tonic on the way.

That's five people deep in the center, right? If you moved off the side, you would have been closer?
  • bh197798bh197798 Posts: 19
    mrussel1 said:

bh197798 said:

That's five people deep in the center, right? If you moved off the side, you would have been closer?
    We were centered. I don't believe the side would have been much "better", but I may have been staring at the bottom of my gin cup too long notice.
  • if you're taking 5'6" into consideration and you wanna be as close as possible, you're looking at 8am, at least
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    The general courtesy in GA is not to work your way up front. It's not part of the vibe to squish into a spot in front of someone who got there first. I've seen it happen okay at festivals but in the arenas with members only, there's more of a respect for people's claimed space. Good luck.
  • TigaSefiTigaSefi Posts: 276
    Early.. like super early... maybe even camp the night before.
    London 02 18/09/2009 London Hyde Park 25/06/2010 Arras 03/07/2010 Werchter 04/07/2010 Manchester 21/06/2012 Amsterdam 26/06/2012 Stockholm 07/07/2012 Portland 29/11/2013 Spokane 30/11/2013 Amsterdam 16/06/14 Leeds 08/07/14 London 02 Arena 18/06/2018 London 02 Arena 17/07/2018 London Hyde Park 08/07/2022 London Hyde Park 09/07/2022
  • badu2fanbadu2fan Posts: 87
    Using the short excuse doesn't work for me. Got to be there early vs coming in later and saying I can't see.
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    badu2fan said:

Using the short excuse doesn't work for me. Got to be there early vs coming in later and saying I can't see.

Or just show up whenever and stand at the back of the pit. There will be plenty of room there so you'll be able to step back and move around to get a decent view. No worries about Gheorge Muresan standing in front of you that way.

Platform shoes are always an option.
    JTH said:

badu2fan said:

Or just show up whenever and stand at the back of the pit. There will be plenty of room there so you'll be able to step back and move around to get a decent view. No worries about Gheorge Muresan standing in front of you that way.

What was interesting about the first two shows is that at Lauderdale, they only sold 75% of the pit. So there was plenty of room in the back to dance and chill. At Miami, it was filled all the way to the back. It wasn't 'jammed' up back there, but definitely more people in Miami. Not sure about Tampa.
  • pjrusspjruss Posts: 449
    Pit was pretty full in Tampa as well

Jacksonville show starts in approximately 32 hours. I guarantee there are already a few folks in line.
    Hope that helps you...
    mrussel1 said:

JTH said:

badu2fan said:

What was interesting about the first two shows is that at Lauderdale, they only sold 75% of the pit. So there was plenty of room in the back to dance and chill. At Miami, it was filled all the way to the back. It wasn't 'jammed' up back there, but definitely more people in Miami. Not sure about Tampa.
    The "Ft. Lauderdale" show was actually in Sunrise, where the Panthers play, yes?

Maybe because Miami is not a hockey arena, there was a lot less floor space so the GA section was more compact?
    JTH said:

mrussel1 said:

JTH said:

badu2fan said:

The "Ft. Lauderdale" show was actually in Sunrise, where the Panthers play, yes?

Maybe because Miami is not a hockey arena, there was a lot less floor space so the GA section was more compact?
    Yes Panthers arena. But that was a full size arena too. I'm not sure if the width of the two arenas are actually materially different. I think they both can handle both sports. It definitely didn't look smaller. They were both large arenas.
    Not saying the arena itself is necessarily smaller. I'm saying there is much more available floor space in Sunrise because an NHL rink is 85' x 200' whereas an NBA court is 50' x 94'. Maybe there are seats that can be removed in Miami to accommodate a rink, but I doubt they would do that for a show.
    edited April 2016
    JTH said:

Not saying the arena itself is necessarily smaller. I'm saying there is much more available floor space in Sunrise because an NHL rink is 85' x 200' whereas an NBA court is 50' x 94'. Maybe there are seats that can be removed in Miami to accommodate a rink, but I doubt they would do that for a show.

When I said full size, I meant on the floor. The stage area looked like it could accommodate a hockey ring, looking across. It didn't look smaller. Look at the way they sell Philly, it's jammed to the back and that is multi-purpose. Same with Saint Louis. Compare that JPJ in C'ville which cannot handle hockey. They only sold the pit about half full, same for DMB and Bruce when they played there. These are my GA comparisons for the last tour. I guess my point is that I think it's an arena decision on how many they open up for GA and I 'feel' (not know) like Miami sold more GA than Sunrise did.
    what the hell do I know? I was in Chicago all weekend.
    JTH said:

what the hell do I know? I was in Chicago all weekend.

I guess the final point is that you never know what time you need to get there to get a good spot. If you want to be on the rail, then get there EARLY. I walked into JPJ at 645 and was third row, slightly to Ed's right. No complaints. You just never know if the crowd is late arriving or if it's under/over sold.
  • edibervanedibervan Posts: 243
    I might have not understood this. I also got TC GA for this show. I've got an email saying I'll get the tickets and the wristbands. What I don't get is: is this a SEPARATED floor area just for the TC peeps and that is why I need the wristbands, to stay in a separated area (from everyone else) closer to the stage?
    Is it like a Premium area? Or does TC GA means that if I get there late I will watch from the backdoor ?
    just because you breathe it doesn't mean you're alive...
    edibervan said:

I might have not understood this. I also got TC GA for this show. I've got an email saying I'll get the tickets and the wristbands. What I don't get is: is this a SEPARATED floor area just for the TC peeps and that is why I need the wristbands, to stay in a separated area (from everyone else) closer to the stage?
    Is it like a Premium area? Or does TC GA means that if I get there late I will watch from the backdoor ?

GA is ONLY 10C. You're only with your friends here in the club. You get a wristband and ticket to prevent people from handing tickets over the rail. You need both. The GA will be about 1/3 of the floor. First come first serve. The remaining 2/3 is reserved seating.
  • edibervanedibervan Posts: 243
    Thanks mrussel1 =)
    just because you breathe it doesn't mean you're alive...
  • DisgruntledDisgruntled Under that sign congregating Posts: 235
    I was thrilled when we walked onto the FLL GA floor and over to the middle left (not far left) was only 4 deep ONE HOUR-ish before the show. By showtime there were 3 in front of us.
    Right in front of Mike who was throwing a gazillion guitar picks? I think everyone around me got one. Such an awesome view! Spoiled us for sure 'cause next night we were 5th row floor reserved and jouncing for the front.

I was thrilled when we walked onto the FLL GA floor and over to the middle left (not far left) was only 4 deep ONE HOUR-ish before the show. By showtime there were 3 in front of us.
    Right in front of Mike who was throwing a gazillion guitar picks? I think everyone around me got one. Such an awesome view! Spoiled us for sure 'cause next night we were 5th row floor reserved and jouncing for the front.

Did you notice how much more crowded the pit was for Miami? I thought it was a huge difference. I love when they undersell the pit.