Pearl Jam MSG and the Rangers

Comments

• Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    GM151575 said:

MSG is notorious for scheduling events without taking into account that their teams that play there might actually make playoffs. The year they started renovations, they had them scheduled to start in may when the Knicks where close to making playoffs I think. I went to a boxing match there in summer of 2014 where if the Rangers who I think were in the conference finals, hadn't won the previous game, would have been scheduled to host game 7 the same day the boxing event was. It was something like that, I don't follow hockey so don't quote me on the exact round or game scenario Also, I believe same thing could have happened for a Clapton show in April 2015. I believe there was a show where this did happen recently too. I want to say phish, but think it was some other hippy band. I don't know of any other arena that does this. It's pretty piss poor that 1. They have no faith their teams make the playoffs and 2. They don't care, and just book shows anyway for the money. They'd for sure cancel the concert.

Last year for Claptons 70th they purposely put a disclaimer for one of the shows and if I remember correct changed the date very close to the show date because of playoffs.

I would imagine that would happen here too if it was a concern. Since there is no disclaimer i wouldn't worry
  • scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    Not all second round NHL series start on the same date so it would seem like they would work around the arena schedule, especially if MSG is open before and after the PJ concert dates. If it was the Stanley Cup Finals I would be a little more worried but I think we are safe with it being the second round.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    I only see this being a problem if one of the games lands on the first shows date. Then I could see on of the shows getting moved.
  • pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    They must not think about the playoffs very much... seriously though, here at the United Center, this would never be an issue. Everything gets planned around when the Hawks/Bulls are away. Even during the playoffs. Glad I'm not a Rangers fan. I do like Henrik Lundqvist though...
  • chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,430

They must not think about the playoffs very much... seriously though, here at the United Center, this would never be an issue. Everything gets planned around when the Hawks/Bulls are away. Even during the playoffs. Glad I'm not a Rangers fan. I do like Henrik Lundqvist though...

It is never an issue at the UC, even when the circus comes to town for a WEEK!
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • RKREKRKREK Poway, CA Posts: 102
    jamburger said:

You'd have to worry if they make it to the second round, which last year saw them at home the Thursday before, away the Saturday before, but back home the Monday.

"For the first two rounds, the higher-seeded team has home-ice advantage (regardless of point record)."
    And that means home games for Game 1, 3, 4 and 7 (if necessary).

Home games for the higher seeded team are Games 1, 2, 5, and 7.

How can you plan for when they are away in the playoffs when you do not have that info until a couple of days before the series starts?
    PJNB said:

How can you plan for when they are away in the playoffs when you do not have that info until a couple of days before the series starts?
    I'm just saying they don't cancel events for a game. Of course you cannot predict the future, but if PJ were playing the UC during the NHL playoffs, they wouldn't move the show. They would just schedule around it.
    edited April 2016

PJNB said:

I'm just saying they don't cancel events for a game. Of course you cannot predict the future, but if PJ were playing the UC during the NHL playoffs, they wouldn't move the show. They would just schedule around it.
    I did not know it was venue specific and more of a league rule especially with TV deals and fairness for rest when compared to the other series's going on. Either way I hope everyone gets their correct dates especially those that are traveling.
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346

PJNB said:

I'm pretty sure the venue has no say so or control, it's the NHL who schedules the games.
    NYPJ
    I don't know who is in charge of all that, but I have never heard of a concert getting moved because of a game, at least not here. It seems like more trouble to move a concert rather than just scheduling the playoff games around it. Anyway, hopefully that doesn't happen.
    They would reschedule the show in a heartbeat. They did it last year. I posted links earlier.
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387

I've seen both scenarios....... There are links posted here about concerts getting moved, and I recall a Bruins / Canadiens playoff game at the Belle Centre getting pushed back a day or two because of a concert.

Someone here noted (rightfully so) that if the Flyers advance, they should be the visiting team...... That provided me with a little bit of comfort there as I'm really looking forward to seeing PJ on my birthday in Philly on 4/28.
    My bad, didn't look at the links. Hopefully they just schedule around the shows if they need to. Or the Rangers won't make it past the first round... problem solved. (Posted by a Blackhawks fan)
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Eastern Conference teams in the NHL that we PJ fans need to do well in the playoffs to avoid scheduling issues: Pittsburgh, Washington, NY Islanders, Tampa and Florida (since the shows will be done before the playoffs begin), and Boston or Detroit (whichever team makes it).

Eastern Conference teams in the NBA that we PJ fans need to do well in the playoffs to avoid scheduling issues: Cleveland, Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, Indiana, Miami...

Ah, the only issues would be in the two-show cities.

Go Raps!
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    I'm sure they will schedule around these shows. It's only 2 nights. That said, last year Garth Brooks had to cancel his Tampa shows because they needed the arena for the Stanley Cup Final. But the Cup Final is a bigger deal than the 2nd round (they have to please NBC for the Cup Final).
  • JRDAY89JRDAY89 Oklahoma City Posts: 126
    If the Rangers stay in 2nd or 3rd in their division and the second round dates are similar to the past 2 playoffs, for them to be at home on 5/1 or 5/2, it will take them winning their first round matchup as well as Washington losing to whoever gets the final wild card spot. But the regular season is ending 1 and 3 days earlier than 2015 and 2014 so that could change things.

If the Rangers fall to 4th they will face Florida or Washington (most likely Florida) in the first round, making the second round less likely for them.
    2013: Oklahoma City
    2014: St. Louis, Tulsa, Lincoln, Denver
    2016: MSG I, MSG II
    2018: Wrigley I, Wrigley II
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,147

Rangers made the playoffs 10 of the last 11 years
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

The Rangers are a good team, but as a Chicago resident, it's instilled in me to not like them. There are plenty of teams I dislike more than the Rangers.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,147

igotid88 said:

The Rangers are a good team, but as a Chicago resident, it's instilled in me to not like them. There are plenty of teams I dislike more than the Rangers.
    I thought you meant it as we don't make the playoffs often. Now the Knicks
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

I thought you meant it as we don't make the playoffs often. Now the Knicks
    Up until last year, the words "Cubs" and "Playoffs" could not be used in the same sentence, yet I still give my loyalty... it's in the blood. Good luck with your Knicks/Rangers :smile:
    edited April 2016
    JRDAY89 said:

If the Rangers stay in 2nd or 3rd in their division and the second round dates are similar to the past 2 playoffs, for them to be at home on 5/1 or 5/2, it will take them winning their first round matchup as well as Washington losing to whoever gets the final wild card spot. But the regular season is ending 1 and 3 days earlier than 2015 and 2014 so that could change things.

If the Rangers fall to 4th they will face Florida or Washington (most likely Florida) in the first round, making the second round less likely for them.

They cant play Florida. NHL changed the playoff seeding so that your first round opponent has to be in your division

JRDAY89 said:

They cant play Florida. NHL changed the playoff seeding so that your first round opponent has to be in your division
    Did not know that. Thanks for the info.

JRDAY89 said:

But what about if the Rangers fall to 4th and Philadelphia gets the last wild card spot?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I hope if they have to reschedule then MSG becomes the tour closer. (Big Rangers fan here. If they have to reschedule not a big deal for locals but I understand it sucks for people flying in.)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    JRDAY89 said:

JRDAY89 said:

That's not true. Fourth place in the metro division (currently the islanders) will play the panthers.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2

JRDAY89 said:

JRDAY89 said:

That's not true. Fourth place in the metro division (currently the islanders) will play the panthers.
    You are correct, it would be different for the wild card teams. If the season eded today these would be the matchups.
    http://www.nhlplayoffsbracket.com/2016/index.php

Wildcard teams can play outside the division, but 1, 2, 3 seeds have to play a division opponent unless both wild card teams are from the same division
    We will know more after Sundays games. Brackets will be finalized. Philly still hasnt clinched so Im pulling for boston to get that wild card spot so it wont be an issue in Philly at least.
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    This is the first time in ages (1969-1970) that no Canadian teams are even making the playoffs! If our PJ trip from Lexington to Toronto is affected, I'm going to be beyond gutted. It would be like a double smack to the face!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    Sarava said:

I'm sure they will schedule around these shows. It's only 2 nights. That said, last year Garth Brooks had to cancel his Tampa shows because they needed the arena for the Stanley Cup Final. But the Cup Final is a bigger deal than the 2nd round (they have to please NBC for the Cup Final).

I think this is the key. I have heard of concerts and such getting moved or postponed but not in the early rounds.