Unofficial No Code and Binaural vinyl

Not really a big follower of PJ vinyl, so I was hoping for some feedback on a recent purchase. I picked up unofficial copies of No Code (white) and Binaural (orange) this weekend for $55CAD & $35CAD respectively. Condition is fine except for a very small chip on the edge of the Binaural. Is this a fair price? I don't care that they're unofficial, since I just want to frame them. (I actually have a real NC, but the cover is a bit beat up.)

Thanks.

Comments

• JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    check out ebay complete listings .........it will tell you in .............advanced search how much people paid on them
  • I thought of that - I just don't always find that eBay prices give a true value. Bidding wars, people trying to pass it off as official, etc.

I was more interested in the opinions of PJ fans/collectors instead. I'm just curious and maybe having a bit of buyer's remorse after dropping $100 on stuff for the wall.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,682
    Does the chip affect the sound? If so totally return it and ask for a full refund.

In the seller's eBay details, was the item sealed or opened? And what was the condition? The fact it didn't mention a chip on the vinyl you should not have any problem returning it and asking for your money back.
  • demetrios said:

Does the chip affect the sound? If so totally return it and ask for a full refund.

In the seller's eBay details, was the item sealed or opened? And what was the condition? The fact it didn't mention a chip on the vinyl you should not have any problem returning it and asking for your money back.

It's all good - I don't have a record player, so I'm just going to frame them and hang them on the wall.

I didn't get them off eBay. I got them at a store in Ottawa. There was a sticker on both saying "unofficial" and the Binaural had a sticker mentioning the chip. I'm happy with the store, and I was even able to talk the guy down a few dollars on both.
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    If you're happy, that's all that count, really..
    But personally, I would not waste a penny on this kind of stuff.. and the price you paid, quite frankly, is outraugeous.. for that money you can easily get at least a good copy of a real no code
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Yes, you paid too much for two hi-res printouts of album covers.
  • GustieIIIGustieIII Posts: 231

But personally, I would not waste a penny on this kind of stuff.. and the price you paid, quite frankly, is outraugeous.. for that money you can easily get at least a good copy of a real no code

I'm down for a $55 CAD No Code, hook me up...
    Like A Fist To The Jaw
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Highly doubtful.. $90 CAD is roughly $69 US.

demetrios said:

It's all good - I don't have a record player, so I'm just going to frame them and hang them on the wall.

I didn't get them off eBay. I got them at a store in Ottawa. There was a sticker on both saying "unofficial" and the Binaural had a sticker mentioning the chip. I'm happy with the store, and I was even able to talk the guy down a few dollars on both.
    Cool. If you are never gonna play it and money is no object, whatever makes you happy.

It's funny though that many ma & pa record stores today in Canada & in the USA continue to sell pirated unofficial albums. Maybe the laws have changed today? That they don't have to worry about selling pirated vinyl records in their stores.
  • GustieIIIGustieIII Posts: 231
    demetrios said:

demetrios said:

Cool. If you are never gonna play it and money is no object, whatever makes you happy.

It's funny though that many ma & pa record stores today in Canada & in the USA continue to sell pirated unofficial albums. Maybe the laws have changed today? That they don't have to worry about selling pirated vinyl records in their stores.
    I'm thinking the lack of legitimate sources to stock these albums play into this.
    It's not like a label rep (or however that works)is going to question why the store isn't ordering any from them. There isn't a legitimate source outside of a private resale, which a band or label doesn't see any revenue from anyways.
    Like A Fist To The Jaw
  • demetrios said:

demetrios said:

I've definitely noticed this too, especially with vinyl. My two copies of the official releases were used, but this store, and at least five other ones I go to in Ottawa and Toronto are full of vinyl bootlegs going for $40+. Personally, I have no interest in these releases but still like to collect the unofficial CDs.

• GustieIII said:

I'm down for a $55 CAD No Code, hook me up...
    It's actually kind of funny since I picked up my official copy of No Code used in Quebec City for $20 CAD. I was buying a used 2003 bootleg, and the guy had the NC behind the counter and offered it to me. At the time, I didn't know about vinyl value and thought he was gouging me. I thought used records would go for maybe $5..... Needless to say, I'm glad I picked it up.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    edited March 2016

I thought of that - I just don't always find that eBay prices give a true value. Bidding wars, people trying to pass it off as official, etc.

I was more interested in the opinions of PJ fans/collectors instead. I'm just curious and maybe having a bit of buyer's remorse after dropping $100 on stuff for the wall.

Since you're asking for opinions.... I personally wouldn't spend $5 on them. I'm not a fan of shitty illegal bootleg vinyl to say the least.
    But if they are serving a framing/art need for you, I guess that isn't all that much money for art on your wall, PJ or otherwise.... just keep in mind that it is counterfeit art. Not so cool.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,023
    jamburger said:

+ an inferior analog copy of the cd.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Thanks everyone for the feedback.... I was on a vinyl buying binge this week.

I agree... I paid for some art. Just for the record, I'm not advocating buying unofficial releases.... I've been supporting the band officially for years....
  • Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890

Pretty much every record store I have been in sells Unofficial Records. There has always been a market for bootlegs and there always will be one.
  • JB198244JB198244 Western NY Posts: 47
    So if it was a bootleg of a show put to vinyl that would be okay? Just looking for clarification from those in the know.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    JB198244 said:

So if it was a bootleg of a show put to vinyl that would be okay? Just looking for clarification from those in the know.

My opinion is no. Unless the band officially releases it, it's not okay. But that's just my philosophy and everyone is different.
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    edited March 2016
    JB198244 said:

So, prefacing that I'm one who still buy in 2016 unofficial bootlegs CD's set (not unofficial vinyl), I'll say it again for clarification: VINYL BOOTLEGS ARE TOTAL CRAP
    Why? There's a difference between bootlegs vinyl and cd.. you can bet your ass that those lazy bootleggers of today just put digital sources straight from the official (official studio albums) or unofficial (in the case or unauthorized live concerts) cd's to vinyl.. what's the point? I never understood that. It's not a collectible in my eyes, and it's not worth anything audio wise (do you really think they took the time and money to use a 'master' official vinyl to press these studio albums bootlegs? Come on. I had the opportunity to listen to the binaural and lost dogs fake vinyl at a friend's home, and they sound total shit, much worse than the cd imo)
    that being said, I think the 'old days of bootlegging' were much better, you often had these unofficial label sending a person to the show to record and create the bootleg, not like today where a bootleg is 99% of the times sourced from a torrent etc..
    a silver pressed cd containing a live source, in some cases the only source available for that particular show, has some sense and is surely better than a useless piece of wax that is not going to sound any better and created just because vinyl is the trend of today (pirated unofficial vinyl was made in the past too, but not at the crazy level of today, I mean I don't recall to ever seen a studio album bootlegged in vinyl form in the 90's, have you?)..
    ps: I hope what I said made some sense, sorry, it's late here :)
    Post edited by Jammalambo on

Pretty much every record store I have been in sells Unofficial Records. There has always been a market for bootlegs and there always will be one.

But isn't this against the law? Say a Warner Bros rep goes into Easy Street Records & sees a pirated unofficial vinyl copy of Prince's Purple Rain for sale on display. Can't he / she say anything to the store owner? Or imagine the artist Prince himself walks into the record store & see's this pirated copy for sale. Would love to hear the outcome out of that, especially from Prince.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited March 2016
    mrk2 said:

jamburger said:

+ an inferior analog copy of the cd.
    Just like the official releases.

How do these bootlegs generally sound? I have real copies of the albums I want, but if they sound good I might consider replacing the few I sold off if the price was right.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,073
    I think someone made a bootleg vinyl of a recent Berlin show. I was wondering how it was. With the live shows the bootleggers now have access to HD FLAC which is better than CD. It would be interesting if vinyl bootleggers starting using the high def audio files as the source. Not sure if they would bother.
  • Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    demetrios said:

But isn't this against the law? Say a Warner Bros rep goes into Easy Street Records & sees a pirated unofficial vinyl copy of Prince's Purple Rain for sale on display. Can't he / she say anything to the store owner? Or imagine the artist Prince himself walks into the record store & see's this pirated copy for sale. Would love to hear the outcome out of that, especially from Prince.

Not sure in today's marketplace, but I always remember being able to find bootlegs at record stores. If you look on easy streets website under 2015 Best Selling Vinyl the Pearl Jam Las Vegas Radio Broadcast is on the list, they keep that record well stocked among others.