Options

Life can be funny at times.

So I have been at the new job for 8 months, and I am happy there. Good company, and I get along with everyone.
Only problem is, that I just don't get enough hours. I am used to getting anywhere between 10-15 hours a week overtime.
So 2 weeks ago I decide maybe I need to go out and get a part time job, maybe put in 8-12 hours on a Saturday. So I find a job
Spotting trailers in a yard(Pulling full trailers from dock doors and putting empty trailers in doors), location was perfect, close to home, hours were perfect too! So I apply for the position, INSTANTLY get an interview, and am offered the position. I go in last Friday for the drug test and physical, and all is good. I am supposed to go in today for 3 hours or so of training, then start my position on Saturday.

Well, that's all changed!

The owner of my full-time job calls me last night, and tells me how things "Have Changed'. He wants to know if I can change my hours, and change my regular route. He offers me another route that is guaranteed 10-20 hours a week overtime. Hahaha
Looks like I wont need that Saturday job! I felt bad though. I texted the new company and let them know the circumstances. I also offered to reimburse them for cost of drug testing and physical. I haven't heard a word from them yet. Oh well, I offered.
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Congratulations on the extension to your present job!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,793
    deadendp said:

The timing is just funny. So I started the new route last night, and instantly got 4 hours of overtime. Plus the owner and dispatcher are THRILLED that I was willing to take the change of route.

But I really do feel bad for the what was to be new job. I am sure they spent $100 or so for that drug test and physical.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

deadendp said:

The timing is just funny. So I started the new route last night, and instantly got 4 hours of overtime. Plus the owner and dispatcher are THRILLED that I was willing to take the change of route.

But I really do feel bad for the what was to be new job. I am sure they spent $100 or so for that drug test and physical.
    The two times I found myself unemployed during the last 20 years, I struggled for awhile to find a new job. Economy was in the shitter and I thought it was the end of the world. Both times, as soon as I landed a new gig, 3 or 4 others would express interest as well. It always seems to work out that way.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,793

deadendp said:

The two times I found myself unemployed during the last 20 years, I struggled for awhile to find a new job. Economy was in the shitter and I thought it was the end of the world. Both times, as soon as I landed a new gig, 3 or 4 others would express interest as well. It always seems to work out that way.
    I hear you. It seems to always happen like that!

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

deadendp said:

I hear you. It seems to always happen like that!

Now that I think about it, the same thing always seemed to happen with dating. A decent dry spell, find a female I was into, and then they would come out of the woodwork.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

deadendp said:

It was a relatively minor investment that didn't pan out for them.

I love life's oddities - timing and such. Pretty cool how shit works out.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    These things happen to employers. Speaking from experience it is much better for them not to have had you start and then need to bow out.
    Good news for you, congratulations. Epic news!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Did the part time job have to contact your full time job at all (references, perhaps)? If so, management at the full time job might have figured you were looking for something else to eventually transition to.

Either way, congrats on the new route.
  • Options
    OceanInDisguise13OceanInDisguise13 Behind the sun Posts: 919
    When it rains it pours..or so the saying goes...congrats on the new offer and glad you were able to get what you need with the same company.
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238

deadendp said:

Look at it this way. How often do you think they have a good candidate that they shell out the cash on only to have him fail the drug test? At least you passed and they know that if "things change" for them, they've got you in their back pocket and can reach out to you with a job offer.

At any rate, this new route better not be running on the evening of April 6th, 2016. Ya hear me?