Options

Got questions about NYC/MSG shows? Post them here! New Yorkers please contribute!

Comments

• Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Badfish tonight huh?
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    edited February 2016
    rssesq said:

Badfish tonight huh?

Yup. They didn't go on till 1030. Fuckin ticket didn't say there was 2 opening acts & we got in at 730. :fp:

FWIW, 5 Napkin Burger down the block has really good $2 sliders till 7pm.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    motarmotar Posts: 141
    Any tips for the discerning dope smoker traveling to NYC?
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Posted in another thread:
    Sarava said:

If anyone's still looking, there are some major deals going on for NYC (or everywhere, not sure?). It might be a leapyear day thing, not sure.

I was booked at nyma, but just cancelled it and am switching to the Wyndham New Yorker. We are booked from Friday night through Monday night. Base price was $171 per, but there's a 15% off travelocity code (JANHOTEL15US) that works. In the end, after taxes and resort fees, the 4 nights come to a hair under $200 per night. It's not a 5 star place, but it's a block form MSG and the price is right for Manhattan.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/249433/new-york-group-hotel-rate#latest
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    motar said:

Anybody with a Police Academy avatar is good people in my book!
  • Options
    motarmotar Posts: 141
    my2hands said:

motar said:

Anybody with a Police Academy avatar is good people in my book!
    Why thank you.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    Suziemay said:

Sarava said:

If anyone's still looking, there are some major deals going on for NYC (or everywhere, not sure?). It might be a leapyear day thing, not sure.

I was booked at nyma, but just cancelled it and am switching to the Wyndham New Yorker. We are booked from Friday night through Monday night. Base price was $171 per, but there's a 15% off travelocity code (JANHOTEL15US) that works. In the end, after taxes and resort fees, the 4 nights come to a hair under $200 per night. It's not a 5 star place, but it's a block form MSG and the price is right for Manhattan.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/249433/new-york-group-hotel-rate#latest
    Ahh my post. The gist of it is, today only (ends in like 8 hours or something) some hotels are 40% off, plus I got an additional 15% off beyond that with that travelocity code. Do the search through goseek.com.
  • Options
    Sirens4Sirens4 Posts: 569
    Wondering about sound at msg, is behind the stage better than side stage sound? Thank you!!
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008
  • Options
    Sarava said:

Suziemay said:

Sarava said:

Ahh my post. The gist of it is, today only (ends in like 8 hours or something) some hotels are 40% off, plus I got an additional 15% off beyond that with that travelocity code. Do the search through goseek.com.
    Yeah, I just checked it out, this is awesome! Anyone who doesn't have a hotel yet should jump on this. I've heard the Wyndham is wayyy nicer than Hotel Pennsylvania.
  • Options
    If anyone is staying the whole week in NYC after the shows, I just stumbled upon something the next weekend (May 4-7) that looks interesting: http://www.thegridnyc.com/
  • Options
    Kelfin9Kelfin9 Posts: 3
    How will the subway be after the show? Staying at the Grand Hyatt. Should I take a cab instead?

Thanks
  • Options
    jh292584jh292584 Posts: 14
    Did anyone get the email with option to have only NYC tickets shipped to your home before tour starts instead of picking up at will call. Have to do by March 7th. Wondering thoughts if Ho with shipping options possibility could get better reserved seats? Or do you think your seats already have been chosen so doesn't change if pick up day of concert or shipped prior to.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Kelfin9 said:

How will the subway be after the show? Staying at the Grand Hyatt. Should I take a cab instead?

Thanks

Subways are 24/7... but the walk from MSG to Grand Hyatt is minimal. A cab at that hour would be cheap and quick though.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    jh292584 said:

Did anyone get the email with option to have only NYC tickets shipped to your home before tour starts instead of picking up at will call. Have to do by March 7th. Wondering thoughts if Ho with shipping options possibility could get better reserved seats? Or do you think your seats already have been chosen so doesn't change if pick up day of concert or shipped prior to.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/251312/madison-square-garden-tenclub-ticket-holders-we-can-have-our-tickets-shipped-to-us/p1
    Luckytwn1 said:

I just hope that reserved seating seniority is fully decided before they start shipping these and whether you do this or don't it isn't affected at all

I emailed 10C about this and they said, yes seat location is assigned prior to the shipping and whether your ship or not, the tickets will be the same.
  • Options
    JosephKJosephK Posts: 217
    If you go to Luger's, keep in mind it's cash only. I second Keens. For a greasy old school burger, I'm a fan of 5 guys. For a city only version, I like the one at Resto (it is cooked with pork fat.)
  • Options
    Kelfin9Kelfin9 Posts: 3
    jamburger said:

Kelfin9 said:

Thanks

Subways are 24/7... but the walk from MSG to Grand Hyatt is minimal. A cab at that hour would be cheap and quick though.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    jamburger said:

Kelfin9 said:

Thanks

Agreed, if it's a nice night, I would just hoof it. Should be 20-25 minutes, and you can stop by some place for a late night snack on the way back!

Subways shouldn't be crazy since MSG is right by Penn Station and there are lots of turnstiles, just get your metro card before you head to the show, otherwise you'll be waiting in line at the metrocard machine for a long time. There isn't a direct subway between Penn and GCT (go figure) so you'd have to take the 1/2/3 trains (red) one stop to Times Square then change to the shuttle (grey S) and take that to GCT. A lot of effort for not going that far in my opinion!

It may not be easy to get cabs right outside MSG, but if you walk over a few streets or avenues, there should be no problem. You may have to wait a few minutes and don't get too annoyed if someone upstreams you because it will happen.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    The subways are a bit of a mess right now in NYC, especially on weekends and overnight and it is expected to continue into the spring summer. Check for any delays or alternate routes before depending on a certain train to get you anywhere. I had to take a couple of alternate trains last weekend due to this. It involves more walking and having to switch trains.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    motar said:

Get it delivered to your hotel.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    As far as burgers go, shake shack is good but it is like the in and out of the northeast-good but still fast food. The best NYC burgers can be found at JG Melon, the corner bistro, PJ clarkes (original location), the spotted pig and minetta tavern. Skip the fast food style. Old town bar is also a classic NYC bar with a good burger. Lugers burger is legendary, but it is only served at lunch and it an be a pain to get a table.
  • Options
    175th and Amsterdam
    the piff (nyc haze) capital of the world
    eddiec said:

motar said:

Get it delivered to your hotel.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    When should I expect the tickets to arrive ordered thru TM?
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    Tickets weren't released until yesterday, so you should probably expect to see them in a week or two depending on your location.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

The subways are a bit of a mess right now all the time in NYC, especially on weekends and overnight and it is expected to continue into the spring summer. Check for any delays or alternate routes before depending on a certain train to get you anywhere. I had to take a couple of alternate trains last weekend due to this. It involves more walking and having to switch trains.

Fixed that for you.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    TM tickets were made available yesterday. I printed my tickets and now I really feel like I'm going to see PJ - woo hoo!
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I am kind of perplexed on the subway situation. Staying at 7th and 53rd. Flying into JFK. How do I get to and from?

Also. More concerned for Tuesday morning. I have an early 8AM flight and want to make sure Im there very very early.
  • Options
    you can walk to the garden from that addy but your gonna need a cab/uber to jfk for that early ass flight
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I am kind of perplexed on the subway situation. Staying at 7th and 53rd. Flying into JFK. How do I get to and from?

Also. More concerned for Tuesday morning. I have an early 8AM flight and want to make sure Im there very very early.

I'm going to caveat by saying that transportation options from NYC-area airports generally suck.

Your best bet is to take a taxi, especially for your early morning flight.

If you want to take public transportation, take the E train which looks like it's right where you are on 53rd and 7th to the JFK stop, then change to the AirTrain to the airport. Fare is $2.75 for single ride subway and $5.00 for AirTrain, although there may be some surcharge to get the MetroCard. It's stupid but it's there. I think it's $1. I would allow a least 90 minutes travel time in case of issues, but it will probably take you a little over an hour. Also check mta.info before you head out for any subway service disruptions.

You can also take the Long Island RailRoad from Penn Station to connect to the AirTrain which will be a shorter, more pleasant journey, but is more expensive and you will also need to first get to Penn Station which is right where MSG is.

http://web.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm
  • Options
    PS, also if you enter stuff into GoogleMaps, I think all the NYC public transit shows up so you can figure out for yourself.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Another way to get to and from the airports are the shuttle buses.
    Cheaper than the cabs and the air train is a pain if you have any luggage.
    Unbelievable that NYC does not have high speed rail service to and from JFK.