New Album?

youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
I have a optimistic thought that because the Fenway and Wrigley shows are broken a part from the spring tour and are pretty independent of themselves, that there will be a new album later this year. Hoping that these shows will be a great place to introduce a new song or 2 (hopefully) and maybe by May or June of this year there will be a new album announcement for Oct-Dec. Hey, a guy can hope, can't he?
He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    That would be great!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    mfc2006 said:

That would be great!

Agreed!
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    I like the idea of writing music while tour. I think in the early days they did this more often but it seems a lot of stuff is now brought in by individual members for Ed to put lyrics over. Maybe they need to try some new stuff in soundcheck. Experiment a little and jump in the studio between legs. I'm surprised they haven't tried something a little more instinctive in recent years. In seems the songs are more well thought out and constructed. I think they care too much but maybe it's time to go out on a limb and wing it!?
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,158
    October will be 3 years, so I guess that's not too crazy. I'm not expecting it to happen though.
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I hope so. I would have preferred to see that happen before a tour.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075
    Would be very cool if, in the middle of the first show of the tour, they just start playing a new album all the way through. Or if people arrived at the venue to see merch and CDs of a new album. The days of unnecessarily dragged-out album promotion are over.. Finish the thing and just get it out
  • brandonbowlingbrandonbowling Morehead, KY Posts: 28
    Waking up one day to find out that Wilco broke the internet with a surprise release of a new album was certainly made for a nice day.
  • yellowboyyellowboy Atlanta Georgia biggest PJ Fan Posts: 119
    ceska said:

Would be very cool if, in the middle of the first show of the tour, they just start playing a new album all the way through. Or if people arrived at the venue to see merch and CDs of a new album. The days of unnecessarily dragged-out album promotion are over.. Finish the thing and just get it out

It is 25 years since the first go around so I'm thinking an anniversary album is coming. The last show in Denver - October 2014 was 24 years to the day from their first gig. They played 39 songs. Absolutely amazing show. They are very aware of the date and the significance of it.

So, this October 20 I believe, is the 25th anniversary. Where will they be? G I wonder. Seattle maybe?? New album by then you would think for sure.
    I've got memories, I've got shit.
    edited February 2016
    A 22 song double album on 4 vinyls cleverly titled "25". :prayer:
    Post edited by ckravitz on
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    ceska said:

and to your point, they played the album in its entirety at the PItchfork fest, which I believe was within a day or two of the album's release.
  • Unfortunately, I don't think we will get an album for another 2-3 years. I hope I'm wrong. It just seems to be the pattern.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Yeah we can hope and I do of course, but I have my doubts. It's just doesn't seem as important to them anymore as it does to us. Hopefully touring this year lights a fire under their asses though. If Jeff gets excited about it I can see him getting the other guys psyched and working on rereleasing NC/Y box sets and writing new stuff
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810

Unfortunately, I don't think we will get an album for another 2-3 years. I hope I'm wrong. It just seems to be the pattern.

How would 2-3 years from now (2018-2019) be the pattern?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • edited February 2016
    The last 2 albums have had breaks of 3 then 4 years. That and Jeff didn't seem too positive on the notion of a new album on that Twitter chat. I would say earliest we'd get one is late 2017. I hope I'm wrong.
    Post edited by Dr.Teeth and the Electric Mayh on
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    I think this being a 25th anniversary tour of sorts it's just better to not have new songs in the mix. I could see maybe a single getting released just to have a couple of new songs to throw in.

Would love an album early 17 and a tour behind that

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I could see a new album of rarities/unreleased tracks, but nothing "new" for some time. Unless JA is just fucking with everyone.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I bet next year.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

I could see a new album of rarities/unreleased tracks, but nothing "new" for some time. Unless JA is just fucking with everyone.

That works for me!!
    :rock_on:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• We're used to waiting 3,4,5 years for an album. Time for a double album you pussies

We're used to waiting 3,4,5 years for an album. Time for a double album you pussies

We're not used to waiting 5 years, the longest we've waited is 4 years and 1 month.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    mattcoz said:

We're used to waiting 3,4,5 years for an album. Time for a double album you pussies

We're not used to waiting 5 years, the longest we've waited is 4 years and 1 month.
    And that was with Eddie nursing the injury that delayed his entire 2012 tour from April/May to November/December.

Not sure where some of these estimates are coming from.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Surprise releases are all the rage. But I'm not optimistic.

Surprise releases are all the rage. But I'm not optimistic.

I'm not either, but that sure would be something to pop on here one morning to find a link to download a sparkly new LP.
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    It's too bad the industry's moved away from John Lennon's idea of “The best record you can make, is recorded on Monday, cut on Tuesday, pressed up on Wednesday, packaged on Thursday, distributed on Friday, in the shops on Saturday”, though that doesn't account for writing the music, lol. I also realise the production mechanism is vastly different now, and likely couldn't follow this timeline (though with online, it might, lol).
    Can't recall off the top of my head any examples, even from the Beatles themselves, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022

It's too bad the industry's moved away from John Lennon's idea of “The best record you can make, is recorded on Monday, cut on Tuesday, pressed up on Wednesday, packaged on Thursday, distributed on Friday, in the shops on Saturday”, though that doesn't account for writing the music, lol. I also realise the production mechanism is vastly different now, and likely couldn't follow this timeline (though with online, it might, lol).
    Can't recall off the top of my head any examples, even from the Beatles themselves, lol.

Recorded on Monday, cut on Tuesday, available for download on Wednesday!
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    Ha-ha, this isn't the 60's and 70's!!!
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    PJ are middle aged yet not slowing down as their eldermen heroes Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Dylan, The Stones, The Who, etc. somehow defy logic and still tour also.
    though the days of touring 50-70 shows a year are over i.e. Binaural, Riot Act and Avocado tours were the last we've seen of it.

If you study and look at how bands operate or successful ones do when past the 20 year mark in today's world it comes to preparation and potentially squeezing every last dime out of your die hards and casual fans alike.
    With the lead ups to Backspacer and Lightning Bolt there was an enormous amount of build up for those albums w/ countdowns, brief 30 sec. snippets of a new song, etc.
    They're no longer young and hungry so every future album whenever the time comes to make one becomes an event because of the name attached to it.
    U2, RHCP, DMB, Metallica all have legions of fans and also put out new albums once every 4-5 years or longer.
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013