Time to shelve Pendulum

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390

Hartford opened with pendulum, the long road, sometimes. Not too shabby ...

That was easily the best of the three shows I saw them open w/ Pendulum.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Seriously, how the hell is pendulum a pre opener when it opens the show?!?! Ed playing one or two songs before the opening band is a pre opener but pendulum as the first song is the opener!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    mcgruff10 said:

Seriously, how the hell is pendulum a pre opener when it opens the show?!?! Ed playing one or two songs before the opening band is a pre opener but pendulum as the first song is the opener!!!

AGREE.....The first note of music the band plays together is the opener for me.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Agree unless it's followed by a song that was always considered an opener. Then it's a "pre opener"
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    When I count to two, I count 1, 2. Not pre, 1.
  • Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    Really love everyone's take on this. Thanks for participating and giving me your input on this. I don't come around here much, so it's nice to see different perspectives.

Ok maybe I shouldn't of used the word "shelved". They obviously know what their doing and who am I to tell them what to do? But with that being said, I'm not a fan of hearing the same song multiple times in a 2 or 3 night run. Especially the opener. With all the songs that are on the table, there is so many to choose from! Pendulum is a song right? So I don't really buy the idea of a pre-opener song. That makes no sense to me. I love the anticipation of when the lights go off and your all fired up, and your wondering what's coming. I love that feeling. But lately, it's like I already know what's coming and it kinda sucks. No disrespect...this is just how I feel. I saw over 30 shows from 98-2006 and that anticipation and feeling of what's coming was bliss.

Again...I love the feedback and respect everyone's opinion. It's what makes PJ fans so awesome.

Come say hi to me in the lot. Oceans opener!
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...

Agree unless it's followed by a song that was always considered an opener. Then it's a "pre opener"

So if pendulum opens both msg shows the ny times will say that the concert was pre opened by pendulum followed by the openers release night one and long road night two?
    edited January 2016
    Yeah, I just can't buy into Pendulum being a "pre-opener." First notes I hear from the whole band will always be considered the opener IMO.
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I'll say it again...
    I like Pendulum.
    It's a good song.
    It's even a GREAT opener,
    but to get it as the first song at almost every show is getting stale...
    especially when this band has made it's name on changing up the setlist every night.
    I truly feel bad for those folks that have never witnessed a show opened by the POWER that is RELEASE!!
    In my opinion...
    NOTHING...
    not even Pendulum...
    should be played before Release in the set!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• derbydave said:

I'll say it again...
    I like Pendulum.
    It's a good song.
    especially when this band has made it's name on changing up the setlist every night.
    I truly feel bad for those folks that have never witnessed a show opened by the POWER that is RELEASE!!
    In my opinion...
    NOTHING...
    not even Pendulum...

Think of all the fans that are going to their first show and are really, really hoping for Pendulum to be played period.
    And as an opener? - it would blow their minds.
    Not everyone has been fortunate enough to be selective of the songs that they don't want to hear live anymore.
  • YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    mcgruff10 said:

LOL. Exactly. What is a pre-opener?

And absolutely agree with Dave 100%. Release is their most powerful song and is THE Pearl Jam opener. NO song, and I mean no song, deserves to be played before and take away the beauty that is the masterpiece of Release.

Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

derbydave said:

I'll say it again...
    I like Pendulum.
    It's a good song.
    In my opinion...
    NOTHING...
    not even Pendulum...

Think of all the fans that are going to their first show and are really, really hoping for Pendulum to be played period.
    Not everyone has been fortunate enough to be selective of the songs that they don't want to hear live anymore.
    I ll give you $20 for every fan attending their first pj show that is hoping for nothing but pendulum to crack their virginity.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    I had 12 consecutive shows of no repeat openers until pendulum came along in 2013 :lol:
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    I think the OP pretty much guaranteed a Pendulum opener for South Florida. Enjoy!
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Think of all the fans that are hoping to hear one of the classic openers they've been hoping to hear for years!!
    Think of all the fans that DO spend their hard earned dollars to travel to multiple shows to hear DIFFERENT songs at the shows.
    It took me 15 years to hear Release the first time as the opener at PJ20,
    AND that moment is one I hope more people can experience.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

mcgruff10 said:

derbydave said:

I'll say it again...
    I like Pendulum.
    It's a good song.
    In my opinion...
    NOTHING...
    not even Pendulum...

I ll give you $20 for every fan attending their first pj show that is hoping for nothing but pendulum to crack their virginity.
    LOL Nice.
  • EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    edited February 2016

Yeah, I just can't buy into Pendulum being a "pre-opener." First notes I hear from the whole band will always be considered the opener IMO.

I'd actually say this isn't even an opinion, it's just fact. The first song a band plays is the opener, how is this even debatable?
    I loved hearing it open the show in Pittsburgh, doing in again the next night in Buffalo was a bummer. That crowd was ready to explode.
    Post edited by EnterThanman on
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    mcgruff10 said:

derbydave said:

I'll say it again...
    I like Pendulum.
    It's a good song.
    In my opinion...
    NOTHING...
    not even Pendulum...

thats all that counts to some
  • NYCPJNYCPJ nyc Posts: 761
    edited February 2016
    YLed2 said:

mcgruff10 said:

LOL. Exactly. What is a pre-opener?

And absolutely agree with Dave 100%. Release is their most powerful song and is THE Pearl Jam opener. NO song, and I mean no song, deserves to be played before and take away the beauty that is the masterpiece of Release.

maybe "preopener" is a poor choice of words, but i think the point is that they opened with Pendulum and followed it with traditional openers (as the second song), like Long Road, Release , wash, etc. And they usually threw in another traditional opener. So at Brooklyn 1, where we got Release and Oceans, i'm not sure that i care if neither of those songs opened the show. In fact, i liked the surprise of hearing Oceans to open the encores.
    Post edited by NYCPJ on
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    JWPearl said:

mcgruff10 said:

derbydave said:

I'll say it again...
    I like Pendulum.
    It's a good song.
    In my opinion...
    NOTHING...
    not even Pendulum...

thats all that counts to some
    I m guessing there are close to zero percent of newbies asking for pendulum as an opener. I would imagine most first timers are looking for Evenflow, jeremy or betterman.
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Is Rockin' in the Free World a "pre-closer"?
    BS44325 said:

Is Rockin' in the Free World a "pre-closer"?

It s usually played in the second set. Sometimes it ends the show and then it s known as the closing song for that show.
    I ve been to well over 500 live shows and I ve never identified the second to last song as the pre closer.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    mcgruff10 said:

So if pendulum opens both msg shows the ny times will say that the concert was pre opened by pendulum followed by the openers release night one and long road night two?
    I don't know, personally I don't care what nytimes says about a concert... i was kind of being facetious but I can see both sides. I know there's no such thing as a "pre-opener."

I don't like how they'll open up with it every show, but I do like how it sets the tone and if they follow it with release or sometimes, or wash, why would I care- I just got a free song, right? I think it warms them up and I like that. I'm hoping for release or oceans but I'll take pendulum first if that's how they want to roll
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    BS44325 said:

I think the OP pretty much guaranteed a Pendulum opener for South Florida. Enjoy!

Yep
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

derbydave said:

Think of all the fans that are hoping to hear one of the classic openers they've been hoping to hear for years!!
    Think of all the fans that DO spend their hard earned dollars to travel to multiple shows to hear DIFFERENT songs at the shows.
    It took me 15 years to hear Release the first time as the opener at PJ20,
    AND that moment is one I hope more people can experience.

Well said dude

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    love this song...getaway and LB too. they are my go to songs off LB. love to hear all three regardless or where/when.

man having the ability to see PJ multiple times on a tour must be nice....

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,457
    edited February 2016
    "I'm in the fire, but I'm still cold..."

This song just rOcKS and I can imagine it sounds really good to hear "Live"
    Post edited by electronblue on
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

I'd actually say this isn't even an opinion, it's just fact. The first song a band plays is the opener, how is this even debatable?
    I loved hearing it open the show in Pittsburgh, doing in again the next night in Buffalo was a bummer. That crowd was ready to explode.
    I agree, It really isn't debatable.
    Nami said:

love this song...getaway and LB too. they are my go to songs off LB. love to hear all three regardless or where/when.

man having the ability to see PJ multiple times on a tour must be nice....

It is nice brah... I hate to burst your bubble, but PJ is still around after 25 years because of the die hards that travel and see them. Let's call a spade a spade. I can't stand the argument about "well what about the people who are seeing them the first time"

• chainchain Montreal Posts: 336
    Got Release Worcester 1 2013 and Denver 2014... I just hope to ear Pendulum in Quebec or Ottawa
    Toronto 96-09-21 / Montreal 98-08-20
    Barrie 98-08-22 / Montreal 00-10-04 / Montreal 03-06-29
    Montreal 05-09-15 / Quebec 05-09-20 / Montreal 11-09-07
    Worcester 13-10-15 / Denver 14-10-22 / Quebec 16-05-05
    Ottawa 16-05-08 / Ottawa 20-03-20 / Quebec 20-03-22