Pearl Jam could do MUCH better with Vinyl

Comments

• hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    But they have been good lately with the Vault releases. I just hope in 2016 PJ picks the release and not have the bootleggers force their hand.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    mr_canada said:

OP is right on

Still my favourite board avatar.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 717
    so to recap:
    PJ fan from the beginning? but wasn't into vinyl even though it was available upon release
    now that you are into vinyl, along with everyone else, you are upset that PJ hasn't re-issued their stuff. how may should they press? there's no money in it
    i like that they aren't re-issue whores and when they do, i hope there's a sleight of hand to each lp. this will keep the originals original!
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • OC34NSOC34NS On The Beach... Posts: 17
    "spin, spin. Spin the $400 collectors item..."
    Yeah, those are just bad lyrics...
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    But back in the day they were cheaper than cd's :)

225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    I agree that it's completely frickin' ridiculous that they don't reissue their records. It ain't rocket science. Those who are against reissues are probably the ones who are sitting on sealed copies and hoping for a retirement cash out. Just look at how many goddamn sealed PJ records are constantly up for sale. It sucks that the band doesn't step up and cut this crap.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

I agree that it's completely frickin' ridiculous that they don't reissue their records. It ain't rocket science. Those who are against reissues are probably the ones who are sitting on sealed copies and hoping for a retirement cash out. Just look at how many goddamn sealed PJ records are constantly up for sale. It sucks that the band doesn't step up and cut this crap.

As a buyer and opener of sealed PJ vinyl, I say Amen brother!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • so to recap:
    PJ fan from the beginning? but wasn't into vinyl even though it was available upon release
    now that you are into vinyl, along with everyone else, you are upset that PJ hasn't re-issued their stuff. how may should they press? there's no money in it
    i like that they aren't re-issue whores and when they do, i hope there's a sleight of hand to each lp. this will keep the originals original!

They can offset the cost with all the other stuff they sell. They could probably cool it with all the shirts. The music is the most important thing here. Not weird sheep or baby onesies.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

I support the re releases but really don't see there being enough cash in it to make it worth it for the band and their hangers on. Realistically most of the hard core fan base probably have the original pressings of some or all of the middle era difficult to find records. I just don't see casual fans going to a record store and picking up binaural (one of my favorites) on vinyl and taking it home for a spin. I think sometimes we as the extreme fans get carried away with what we want and assume that that's what the bigger market want. Don't get me wrong I support the re issues , just don't see it happening any time soon.

So I'm not a hardcore fan because I don't have the originals? When most of that stuff came out I was a poor college student or working full time living paycheck to paycheck. Do I want to eat or do I want vinyl when I don't have a record player?
    That doesn't fly.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048

I just don't see casual fans going to a record store and picking up binaural (one of my favorites) on vinyl and taking it home for a spin. I think sometimes we as the extreme fans get carried away with what we want and assume that that's what the bigger market want.

But they release vault albums on vinyl which is surely a more subset of the market than an actual LP.

Not to mention the last vault was a complete retaliation for a bootleg version being release from other vendors. But they seemed to get that made in a jiffy.

I love you PJ and I respect all the time you need for new material...but we are talking about music already made on a format that you are already doing with the vaults.
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,924

i guess most of us agree with the op..would be cool to release the vinyl again soon..
    thing is ,even if they say lets do somthing like that,im pretty sure isnt a fast thing..legal matters,record companies,pressing,packaging ,who has rights to what,production,promotion,,will take alot of time for sure

I agree but much more obscure bands have done this in much quicker time frames, and to be honest, with much great care with sound quality than PJ.

Let me be the first to say...reissue the reissues (But do it properly this time)!
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • I think i can speak for everyone.. we are waithing for the complete catalogue so far on vinyl in a nice boxset (like bruce springsteen,jimy hendrix,the Beatles enz) I don't see the problem.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    edited December 2015
    tino_11 said:

i guess most of us agree with the op..would be cool to release the vinyl again soon..
    thing is ,even if they say lets do somthing like that,im pretty sure isnt a fast thing..legal matters,record companies,pressing,packaging ,who has rights to what,production,promotion,,will take alot of time for sure

I agree but much more obscure bands have done this in much quicker time frames, and to be honest, with much great care with sound quality than PJ.

Let me be the first to say...reissue the reissues (But do it properly this time)!
    Yeah, I doubt there's a ton of people out there buying the Foos first album on vinyl, and they probably don't make much money at all on it, but hey, they make it available anyway

And If money is the issue, then mark them up a bit. To be honest, I would pay $50 a record in a heartbeat.
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    cwja said:

my2hands said:

cwja said:

Yeah, they're the posers. That's why, when a lot of bands in the time period you mentioned had given up on vinyl, they consistently released EVERY album on vinyl. When a lot of records were only available from Europe, where vinyl as a medium lasted longer, they always made them easily available in the US. 20+ years of holiday 7"s. The band has always supported vinyl. Those of us who have been buying it for 20+ years realize it. Now that you think it's cool, you want to call them out for not doing it "right"? Please.

So you're saying someone had to buy the No Code LP 20 years ago, and if not, fuck em? lol

The issue, here today in 2015, is that most of their catalog is not available on vinyl to their fans, and some of these albums are absolute masterpieces in my opinion. Unless of course they want to spend $300 for an album on ebay, which is a total joke

The fans that want these albums on vinyl are not the problem my friend.
    No, I'm saying that the band has always supported vinyl, but the fans haven't. I'm all for the reissues. Having the originals did not stop me from buying them or the box sets. Reissue everything, basic LPs, press 45rpm LPs at Pallas, box sets or whatever. The vinyl resurgence has been great for getting things that were never pressed finally out on vinyl. The more records that are available and the more people that buy them the better.

I'm just saying that the whole mindset of "Okay, now that I'm ready for vinyl, I'm gonna talk shit about a band that has always been in the vinyl game, because they don't do it the way I want" is tiresome. You make some valid points, but the "They're all talk and no walk" argument is just not true.

I think both my2hands and cwja make good points..... I have zero interest in vinyl, but keep the discussion going :)
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Rerelease everything but the Benny.....all parties will be happy ;)
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • OP has it right I think. Re-release everything and make it high quality vinyl. And for the love of Pete (Whomever Pete is...) PLEASE re-release Benaroya on vinyl. Every PJ fan in the world deserves a chance to own this amazing album...including me I must add....
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    RKCNDY said:

I support the re releases but really don't see there being enough cash in it to make it worth it for the band and their hangers on. Realistically most of the hard core fan base probably have the original pressings of some or all of the middle era difficult to find records. I just don't see casual fans going to a record store and picking up binaural (one of my favorites) on vinyl and taking it home for a spin. I think sometimes we as the extreme fans get carried away with what we want and assume that that's what the bigger market want. Don't get me wrong I support the re issues , just don't see it happening any time soon.

So I'm not a hardcore fan because I don't have the originals? When most of that stuff came out I was a poor college student or working full time living paycheck to paycheck. Do I want to eat or do I want vinyl when I don't have a record player?
    That doesn't fly.
    Thank you...
  • scott nowlandscott nowland Australia Posts: 247
    edited December 2015
    my2hands said:

RKCNDY said:

That doesn't fly.
    Thank you...
    Not saying that at all. Just that I can't see casual fans buying binaural, riot act, avocado and lost dogs (most expensive records) on a whim if they saw them at a record shop so the band and management are unlikely to do it. If done it should probably be like they do with the vault releases where it's done through pre order from ten club. That would probably be the most cost effective way so that there's not dissapointing sales like there was with the re releases of the more popular ten, vs and vitalogy.
    Post edited by scott nowland on
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Great post OP. I agree 100%.

Everything merch related with Pearl Jam leaves a sour taste in my mouth. From the PJ20 blu ray bullshit to mystery vinyl packages.

Give us $50-$60 and we'll clean our closets. Basically created a lottery for hungry die hard Pearl Jam fans.

They are taking advantage of obsessed fans.

Like the OP said... if other bands are doing it, no reason why Pearl Jam can't follow suit. Enough limited edition shit... you know what the fans want... deliver.

@cwja.... I agree with what you're saying to a point. But I view that as they used to stand for something and stand up for fans back in the early to mid nineties. What's happening now is a crock of shit.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

I think i can speak for everyone.. we are waithing for the complete catalogue so far on vinyl in a nice boxset (like bruce springsteen,jimy hendrix,the Beatles enz) I don't see the problem.

Not everybody wants a box set.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945

OP has it right I think. Re-release everything and make it high quality vinyl. And for the love of Pete (Whomever Pete is...) PLEASE re-release Benaroya on vinyl. Every PJ fan in the world deserves a chance to own this amazing album...including me I must add....

That's the one I think has least chance of a reissue. Unlike the studio albums Benaroya was limited from the start. It was a pressing of 2000 (allthough probably a little more than 2000), advertised as such and sold out in 2 days. The band made it a limited item on purpose.

If the band can't bother to re-release their studio albums, what are the odds they'll re-release something they made limited edition on purpose?
  • Gibbon to FlyGibbon to Fly Sussex, UK Posts: 74
    If PJ are worried about losing money on re-issue's, do exactly the same as the vault series. A period of pre-order will tell if there's a market for it.................Simples.

London Wembley Arena 29/05/2000
    Milton Keynes Bowl 11/07/2014

London O2 18/06/2018

London O2 17/07/2018

EV - London Apollo 07/06/2017. Wembley Stadium 06/07/2019.

'Pearl Jam saved me from Hair Metal!!!'

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    when s/t came out and everyone was buying vinyl, i was like wtf...why waste your money... but eventually, due to annual xmas single received from PJ, my interest into the new format (to me anyways) grew. Now im kicking myself in the ass. lol Im thankful for the re-releases of 10,VS, and Vitalogy. BS, LB, PJ20, and 3 vaults i didnt pass up either.

if it wasn't for PJ i wouldnt be into vinyl what so ever... As for sound, they all sound pretty good to me, keeping in mind i have nothing to base my comparison on.

I will be patient for the missing gems but hope they come sooner than Jeff mentioned. Imagine the effort it takes on getting all the goodies in the boxset approved by everyone in the band....

Perhaps a preorder of the albums now while we wait for the boxsets down the road cause if everyone has both they will continue to order the rest.

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

If PJ are worried about losing money on re-issue's, do exactly the same as the vault series. A period of pre-order will tell if there's a market for it.................Simples.

Exactly! The made to order pre sales are awesome. Love what they are doing with the Vault releases. Fan's have A LOT of time to place an order.

They can do this for pretty much everything they want. Reissues, exclusive 10club releases etc.. Though I'm sure there are a few fan's out there who have emailed them that they missed out or didn't have the funds to place the pre order during the weeks the pre sale was up at the 10club store.
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    RKCNDY said:

I think i can speak for everyone.. we are waithing for the complete catalogue so far on vinyl in a nice boxset (like bruce springsteen,jimy hendrix,the Beatles enz) I don't see the problem.

Not everybody wants a box set.
    I would buy a box set but I can't even get the Ten Club to ship it to Canada!
  • Speaking of vinyl, any word yet about when the holiday single will be mailed?
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited December 2015
    It's in production now, but plants are backed up 4-5 months (RSD stuff is going into production now, for a mid April release).
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited December 2015
    I'm sure the band has a plan for reissues and it mainly hinges on Jeff and Ed doing the art for the boxes. Basically the boxes won't sell if they do individual reissues, and it seems like the boxes are the main way they want to present and roll out the reissues. As frustrating as it is, it's looking like they will be released slowly and it hinges on fitting it in with touring/recording/ Jeff and Ed side projects and life.

As for the first few reissues sounding bad, yeah they could have done much better. But the Vaults have been really good given what they have have had to work with sourcing wise. Hopefully future album release have a little more concern put into them.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I changed the title to be a little less negative... but my original point still stands...
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    PJ25 on Vinyl.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016