Thanksgiving plans?

Where are you going?
Who is doing the cooking?
What's on the menu?
Do you have Friday off work?
Lets hear it!

Kathy and I will be having our own little Thanksgiving this Saturday. Just the 2 of us cooking a turkey, and some side dishes. For the actual holiday, I will be at my parents, doing all the cooking for them and my nieces. Kathy will spend Thanksgiving day with her parents.

I am pretty sure for the actual holiday, at my parents, I will be cooking Prime Rib. For the 2nd year in a row.
A New Holiday Tradition! Hahaha

We both have the following day off work, WOO HOOO! She will be shopping with her family, I will be passed out on the couch.
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Making dinner for myself and the girl.
    We'll both be doing the cooking.
    Menu is traditional spread.
    I have Friday off.

Basically my day summed up....
    Lots of food.
    Lots of booze.
    Lots of football.
    Pants with an elastic waist.
    Couch.
  • mca47 said:

I have Friday off.

Lots of food.
    Lots of booze.
    Lots of football.
    Couch.

Yeah I always go traditional, when it comes to the Turkey dinner.

Bird
    Mashed potatoes
    Stuffing
    Broccoli with a cheese sauce
    Rolls
    Maybe a 2nd veggie, I am thinking maybe some roasted Brussel Sprouts.
    Or possibly Carrots with some brown sugar.

Keep it simple.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    High level: eating till I pop and watching football

Details:

Cook a big dinner at home. In laws come over. Drink a bottle of wine with my father in law. Eat. Put on a football game and put the train up.

Then we head to mom and dads. I make a sandwich and watch football.

Head home, make a sandwich maybe another piece of pumpkin pie...crack open some beers and watch football.

I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Next day at Empty's house: Stay outta the bathroom!
    =)

We usually go to my sister's but since they're moving to a new place the day before, it'll be just me and the man. Kind of a relief to have it all low-key.

Wanted to pick up the feast from the nice hotel next-door but they're only doing a buffet thing. Screw that; we're pigging out in the comfort of home.

So yeah...will do a bit of cooking, a bit of shortcuts.

Main thing? FOUR DAYS OFF.

(plus all the accoutrements)
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I bought my turkey yesterday. Scored a 10.5lb bird! Made me so happy. Last year I had to make a damn fourteen pound bird for basically one person. (Mom insists on me doing a whole spread. I don't like turkey or stuffing or cranberry nastiness. I just eat potatoes and veg on T-day.)

I've had a stroke of genius this year though. Buy mashed potatoes and gravy from the Irish butcher the day before! That way I only have to do the sweet potato mashed potatoes!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Lmao. I love this.

Hubs grandparents on Thursday and my side on Saturday. No idea on menu. Prime rib at the grandparents and normal spread. They do chicken and waffles for breakfast.

My parents will be honey baked ham, kielbasa, turkey, potato - the norm. I'm bringing a cheese ball and green bean cass.

I'm on maternity leave till the end of the year! :smiley:

Speed - you aren't going with Kathy?
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • FoxyRedLa said:

Lmao. I love this.

Hubs grandparents on Thursday and my side on Saturday. No idea on menu. Prime rib at the grandparents and normal spread. They do chicken and waffles for breakfast.

My parents will be honey baked ham, kielbasa, turkey, potato - the norm. I'm bringing a cheese ball and green bean cass.

I'm on maternity leave till the end of the year! :smiley:

Speed - you aren't going with Kathy?

The last few years have been tricky, when it comes to Holidays, due to my parents health. So basically, I go to my folks, and cook the feast. This year 2 of my nieces will be joining the 3 of us. BONUS!

Kathy will spend Thanksgiving with her family. And then I will have her family over to our house for Christmas Eve.

It all works out.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    A bunch of us were planning on Friendsgiving...

We were invited by the Mr's aunt (for the first time in 10+ years) and were trying to make Friendsgiving happen so we didn't have to go...then one couple got surprise notice that a relative is coming up. So they are spending it with family.

After accepting auntie's invite, our other friends told us they couldn't get Friday off so they wanted to do Friendsgiving anyway, because they need a buffer from another couple.

I'm trying to think of a way to go to Friendsgiving instead. Because I want that award winning BTS cheesecake (I know I can get P to make it for me) and some pecan pie.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • DancedNLaughterDancedNLaughter the 509 Posts: 323
    We're going over to my in-laws and then will pop into my parents later on in the day. They live on the same street so thankfully, we don't have to drive all over in crummy weather.

I'm working on getting as much stuff as I can prepped/cooked today so I don't have to get up early tomorrow. We're bringing homemade cranberry sauce, potato rolls, 2 different kinds of pumpkin cheesecakes (1 for each family), and a spinach, cranberry, walnut "fancy" salad (my sister-in-law only likes bagged salad and I warned her mine would be fancy, so she needs to provide her own if she wants something different).

Looking forward to hanging out with our families, playing board games, and my husband having a couple of days off.
    Push me and I will resist . . .
    Let me run into the rain . . . .to shine a human light today . . .
    I don't remember where I found instructions on how to cook the stupid turkey last year. :disappointed:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • ldent42 said:

I don't remember where I found instructions on how to cook the stupid turkey last year. :disappointed:

And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
    I forgot to get the little tray for the sweet potatoes :fp:
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    ldent42 said:

You can cook it breast up or breast down whichever you prefer. Standard instructions say 15 mins/lb unstuffed and 20mins/lb stuffed. I find this is too long, especially with your wee bird. I would say 10 mins/lb unstuffed or 15 mins/lb stuffed. Baste about once an hour till done. Let rest about half an hour before slicing. Those are the fast and dirty instructions but in reality it's just like cooking a whole chicken just bigger.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    SPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 22,542
    November 19 in All Encompassing Trip Flag
    Where are you going?
    Who is doing the cooking?
    What's on the menu?
    Do you have Friday off work?

down the street, to my BIL's...there will be 20 of us
    mostly the BIL, with contributions from others
    the usual and boozual...there will be an oven turkey and a deep fried one.
    no friday work for anyone involved
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    Im cooking (usual: turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potato soufflé, green bean cass, corn, stuffing, gravy, dinner rolls, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, apple pie with ice cream) lots of appetizers too. im riding my bike in the morning at least 20 miles to get a good calorie deficit going. lol it will just be my husband and our 3 kids this year. my mom usually comes to visit for a few days over thanksgiving but cant come this year. we will miss her. I really love thanksgiving. my favorite holiday of the year!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Im cooking (usual: turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potato soufflé, green bean cass, corn, stuffing, gravy, dinner rolls, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, apple pie with ice cream) lots of appetizers too. im riding my bike in the morning at least 20 miles to get a good calorie deficit going. lol it will just be my husband and our 3 kids this year. my mom usually comes to visit for a few days over thanksgiving but cant come this year. we will miss her. I really love thanksgiving. my favorite holiday of the year!

We're staying home this year too (we are usually the ones travelling). I am really glad as we are under a winter weather advisory and it is sleeting right now. We are having a pretty similar dinner with the addition of a small ham (younger boy's request).
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765

Im cooking (usual: turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potato soufflé, green bean cass, corn, stuffing, gravy, dinner rolls, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, apple pie with ice cream) lots of appetizers too. im riding my bike in the morning at least 20 miles to get a good calorie deficit going. lol it will just be my husband and our 3 kids this year. my mom usually comes to visit for a few days over thanksgiving but cant come this year. we will miss her. I really love thanksgiving. my favorite holiday of the year!

We're staying home this year too (we are usually the ones travelling). I am really glad as we are under a winter weather advisory and it is sleeting right now. We are having a pretty similar dinner with the addition of a small ham (younger boy's request).
    hope you have a warm and cozy day full of yummy food and family peace and happiness (haha...ive already broken up a few battles tonight and then the next minute they are sitting all smashed up together in the recliner under a blanket reading together :kiss:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • The battles went on here today too, and then they were all on the couch watching a movie together. :confused: I hope you and your family have a wonderful day as well. :hug: We will definitely be close to home. The hubs just walked the dog and they both slipped on the ice.

ldent42 said:

You can cook it breast up or breast down whichever you prefer. Standard instructions say 15 mins/lb unstuffed and 20mins/lb stuffed. I find this is too long, especially with your wee bird. I would say 10 mins/lb unstuffed or 15 mins/lb stuffed. Baste about once an hour till done. Let rest about half an hour before slicing. Those are the fast and dirty instructions but in reality it's just like cooking a whole chicken just bigger.
    Thanks my memory just clicked. I didn't need instructions cuz it's super easy. I'm throwing clementines into the cavity this year (in addition to apples celery and carrots) because I bought a bag of shitty dry clementines. Screw you Tropicana!
  • ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

Thanks my memory just clicked. I didn't need instructions cuz it's super easy. I'm throwing clementines into the cavity this year (in addition to apples celery and carrots) because I bought a bag of shitty dry clementines. Screw you Tropicana!
    :lol:
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    mca47 said:

I have Friday off.

Lots of food.
    Lots of booze.
    Lots of football.
    Couch.

YES! Already warned my dad no fantasy football talk (we play each other this week and of course today we both have several players).
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,420
    going to her older sisters. potluck style. we are bringing homemade sweet potato dish. (washed , peeled and cut up by us) and a homemade pecan pie . expect the usual spread.

Will try to stop by for pie at my Aunts family chain this afternoon.

My brother is in Vegas and my mom is in Pheonix.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Going over to my crazy cousins house.
    Small gathering about 10 of us.
    We will listen to arlo guthrie and eat dry turkey.
    All good, I love an excuse to drink wine, eat, and be lazy.

I will be bringing my cranberry horseradish mousse, without which I cannot have thanksgiving!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Two things.

One, we need a recipe for your mousse (not meant to sound dirty), because that sounds fucking awesome.

Second, your mention of Arlo led me to City of New Orleans - but JC style! Thank you and bon appetiti!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaXPXVrvBwI
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    I'm cooking the big meal today. Traditional stuff: turkey, stuffing, cranberries, carrots, green beans, biscuits, noodles & breadcrumbs, mashed sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, lemon pie, etc.

This is the only day of the year that I spend all day in the kitchen! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,420
    Stuffed just like that turkey was.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    At a house of a friend of my mom's in the same city I live in watching the Cowboys/Panthers game.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Friendsgiving did not happen, so we went to the Mr's aunt's house.

Dinner was Italian themed, so no turkey, stuffing, or blobby cranberry mash.

Lasagna, caprese, prosciutto, mozzarella, salami, and limoncello. I made tiramisu.

I didn't miss the turkey...not at all.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    I literally never ate more in one day than yesterday.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    RKCNDY said:

Friendsgiving did not happen, so we went to the Mr's aunt's house.

Dinner was Italian themed, so no turkey, stuffing, or blobby cranberry mash.

Lasagna, caprese, prosciutto, mozzarella, salami, and limoncello. I made tiramisu.

I didn't miss the turkey...not at all.

Now THAT sounds like a Thanksgiving worth having!