PEARL JAM: REISSUE YOUR CATALOG ON VINYL

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

PJ_Soul said:

turner78 said:

While I agree on the price of vinyl being way too expensive, I also don't mind paying for quality. You put out a good product and charge $35.00, people are going to buy it. Hell, its still 1/10 of the cost of buying an original Binaural, Riot Act or Avocado. You put out a poor sourced record and charge $20.00, I feel ripped off.

I am definitely happier to spend more for quality than spend less for shit. But the quality vinyl really is too expensive still. We're seeing $40 - $50 reissues sometimes (they're not even all great quality!). That is insane. And $50 albums will actually prevent me from purchasing. Once it's much over $40 I'm feeling uncomfortable and start thinking about not buying (only talking reissues or brand new albums here. Obviously everything changes once we're talking original out of print albums, or boxset and shit like like that).
    Phish rift limited edition on blue swirl vinyl- numbered LE and only sold at their summer festival.... I had a friend who went pick it up and mail it to me... Fucking $70 plus shipping. It sounds great, but you have to be kidding me!?! $70???

Also you got me hooked on qotsa by the way. Picked up like clockwork and was addicted immediately. Never heard them before, but it's such a good album I got Rated R and a songs for the deaf boot coming soon too... Thanks for helping me go broke!! But if there's anything else you love, let me know, I trust your judgement now :)

Awesome! QOTSA is so great - glad you're loving them! Haha, I know about going broken for them too. :tongue: But you really need to blame @Leezestarr313 because she is the one responsible for turning me into a much bigger QOTSA fan than I was before her treachery. :lol: Her enthusiasm for the band made me readdress them and all their albums, and that's when I finally realized how great they really are. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SK203708SK203708 Posts: 48
    edited August 2015
    I used to have a certain price-wall I didn't jump over. Lately I abandoned that because I found out that expensive pressings (where a lot of work was involved) made for a great listening experience. Yes, the Phish records are damn expensive. But playing them is a lot of fun because they're so good. Paying the likes of Grundman to cut your records, using good pressing-plants, high-end materials etc. costs. Does it justify a 70$ record? That's what everybody has to decide for them themselves. I currently pre-ordered "Rift" for about 68$ - I hope the price drops in the next 2 weeks. But if not I'll still buy it. Luckily there aren't many bands/records I'd drop so much cash for a single album.

If PJ would put the care into proper reissues (like Phish), I would not hestitate to buy them for 70$ - even though I have all the originals.
    Post edited by SK203708 on
    edited August 2015
    sorry, double post.

Post edited by SK203708 on
    edited August 2015
    $70 for a reissue is outrageous btw and Phish should be ashamed of themselves. And i thought Soundgarden was completely out of hand by selling Superunknown for $50 (though that wasn't even great quality for what I hear. Don't know first hand because fuck that - I'm not paying $50 for a mediocre quality reissue even if I do love the album).
    All that said.... the prices are as high as us consumers will pay. All of us consumers ain't too bright. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    My price threshold is about $30. If you're willing to be patient, prices drop over time and you can find things that started out at $40 closer to $25.
    PJ_Soul said:

$70 for a reissue is outrageous btw and Phish should be ashamed of themselves. And i thought Soundgarden was completely out of hand by selling Superunknown for $50 (though that wasn't even great quality for what I hear. Don't know first hand because fuck that - I'm not paying $50 for a mediocre quality reissue even if I do love the album).
    All that said.... the prices are as high as us consumers will pay. All of us consumers ain't too bright. ;)

I like the Soundgarden reissue - but I have no original to comapre it with. Mine cost about 30 or 35$ via german amazon, which I later found out to be a bargain compared to other outlets.

My price threshold is about $30. If you're willing to be patient, prices drop over time and you can find things that started out at $40 closer to $25.

Congratulations and good for you! My obsession (or lack of will power) trumps that kind of patience, unfortunately. :blush:
  • turner78turner78 Atlanta, GA Posts: 144
    I usually try not to spend over $30 for new vinyl but I ended up getting the 45 rpm Jeff Buckley Grace release and the sound blew me away. Sometimes you actually get what you pay for.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

PJ_Soul said:

turner78 said:

While I agree on the price of vinyl being way too expensive, I also don't mind paying for quality. You put out a good product and charge $35.00, people are going to buy it. Hell, its still 1/10 of the cost of buying an original Binaural, Riot Act or Avocado. You put out a poor sourced record and charge $20.00, I feel ripped off.

I am definitely happier to spend more for quality than spend less for shit. But the quality vinyl really is too expensive still. We're seeing $40 - $50 reissues sometimes (they're not even all great quality!). That is insane. And $50 albums will actually prevent me from purchasing. Once it's much over $40 I'm feeling uncomfortable and start thinking about not buying (only talking reissues or brand new albums here. Obviously everything changes once we're talking original out of print albums, or boxset and shit like like that).
    Phish rift limited edition on blue swirl vinyl- numbered LE and only sold at their summer festival.... I had a friend who went pick it up and mail it to me... Fucking $70 plus shipping. It sounds great, but you have to be kidding me!?! $70???

Also you got me hooked on qotsa by the way. Picked up like clockwork and was addicted immediately. Never heard them before, but it's such a good album I got Rated R and a songs for the deaf boot coming soon too... Thanks for helping me go broke!! But if there's anything else you love, let me know, I trust your judgement now :)

Rift will be available in select indie stores at well. Bull Moose had their presale a while back for $50

PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    May have said it on a different thread but rift sounds really really good. All their others are apot on too, but I think it sounds the best of them. No record is worth $70, but I didn't know it when I asked my friend to grab it for me. Oh well. It's just moolah
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    SK203708 said:

I used to have a certain price-wall I didn't jump over. Lately I abandoned that because I found out that expensive pressings (where a lot of work was involved) made for a great listening experience. Yes, the Phish records are damn expensive. But playing them is a lot of fun because they're so good. Paying the likes of Grundman to cut your records, using good pressing-plants, high-end materials etc. costs. Does it justify a 70$ record? That's what everybody has to decide for them themselves. I currently pre-ordered "Rift" for about 68$ - I hope the price drops in the next 2 weeks. But if not I'll still buy it. Luckily there aren't many bands/records I'd drop so much cash for a single album.

If PJ would put the care into proper reissues (like Phish), I would not hestitate to buy them for 70$ - even though I have all the originals.

There aren't very many records I would go as high as $70 for but a really good pressing reissue of Riot Act and/or No Code would tempt me greatly- two of my PJ favorites and two I don't have on vinyl. Even that's a big "maybe". I just got all four of the first Replacement records reissued in a boxed set for about 80 bucks so one record for that much? That would be a tough call. I think the only record I've gone that high on was Albert Ayler's Lorrach Paris on Hat Hut Records but that one is hard to find, is a gate-fold, and includes a 12" 45 RPM EP.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    edited August 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

turner78 said:

Awesome! QOTSA is so great - glad you're loving them! Haha, I know about going broken for them too. :tongue: But you really need to blame @Leezestarr313 because she is the one responsible for turning me into a much bigger QOTSA fan than I was before her treachery. :lol: Her enthusiasm for the band made me readdress them and all their albums, and that's when I finally realized how great they really are. :)
    :lol: You're welcome, it was my pleasure :smiley:

If you wanna look a bit further, check out the Desert Sessions. I have bootlegs of I think 5 and 6, but want to eventually get the originals. And I am still on the hunt for 10. There's just always stuff coming in between that prevents me from spending that money. Oddly enough, Qotsa is the only band where I have numerous copies of albums and I also got the full catalogue. My Songs for the... is also a bootleg, as I found out recently, but it sounds good enough and is red, so I don't care that much.

Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • moozeekfanmoozeekfan Posts: 194
    I heard they changed the name of the Phish vinyl from 'Rift' to 'Rift - No Refunds.'
    Target Center - Jun 30, 1998
    Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 16, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003
    Fort William Garden - Sep 09, 2005
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006
    United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Xcel Energy Center - Oct 19, 2014
    Xcel Energy Center - August 31, 2023
    Xcel Energy Center - September 2, 2023
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    Another day, another FB post from Pearl Jam, teasing us with the thought of owning all the records on vinyl someday...
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    Check out Phish's vinyl offerings at their drygoods page....

http://drygoods.phish.com/Dept.aspx?cp=773_73093&view_in=Mobile

Come on, PJ, we know you can do it.

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    I still would prefer it if Pearl Jam did reissue their complete albums on vinyl, I would like them all pressed in various colors. And made available for purchase in a custom collectors edition carrying box set. I think that would be pretty freaking sweet, imo.

They do this, they will weaken the illegal European vinyl bootleggers. Why? Because just head on over to eBay. There are tons of colored Pearl Jam vinyl records for sale. You can also find these unofficial colored Pearl Jam vinyl copies at your local record store. Nothing Pearl Jam Co. could do to stop it. Why not fight back and officially release the product? Money that belongs to the band, not to the bootleggers in Europe.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    demetrios said:

I still would prefer it if Pearl Jam did reissue their complete albums on vinyl, I would like them all pressed in various colors. And made available for purchase in a custom collectors edition carrying box set. I think that would be pretty freaking sweet, imo.

They do this, they will weaken the illegal European vinyl bootleggers. Why? Because just head on over to eBay. There are tons of colored Pearl Jam vinyl records for sale. You can also find these unofficial colored Pearl Jam vinyl copies at your local record store. Nothing Pearl Jam Co. could do to stop it. Why not fight back and officially release the product? Money that belongs to the band, not to the bootleggers in Europe.

I've actually considered buying bootlegs at this point.... Even if they don't sound as good as the originals, they're cheap, and atleast its something
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Color variants would be nice for people who have all the originals. I'd be down for that - if the important parts (pressing quality/plant, who cut it...) are handled with care.
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    Just seen a collection of PJ vinyl sell for $3500 on Lost Dogs. Only the privileged few can afford sums like that.

Compare this to Foo Fighters, you can pick up their back catalogue on vinyl for around $250 and the sound quality is much greater. It's ridiculous that for PJ we'd have to pay about 14X as much.

Please reissue the back catalogue.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam

demetrios said:

I've actually considered buying bootlegs at this point.... Even if they don't sound as good as the originals, they're cheap, and atleast its something
    Why not just buy the CDs in that case? You can find all of them in used record stores for almost nothing, or new for not much more. The bootlegs are just recordings of the CDs, so the CDs will sound better than the bootlegs.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Yah $70 is steep. The only band I've paid remotely close to that is for PJ. Between the pricy vault records and the shipping cost the last two have cost me close to $100/pop. The completest in me can't not order them and they aren't something you can easily go back and buy later.

Most of the time my limit is $35cdn. Most reissues seem to be about $30 to $35 here. There was a while I was ordering from Amazon UK because they remove the VAT and the prices were alot cheaper after foreign exchange. Now that the Canadian dollar has taken a nosedive that doesn't work out as well :(

• FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

turner78 said:

I didn't know anything about QOTSA until Songs for the Deaf came out than I fell in love with the whole album. I wanted to discover more of their music but didn't know where to tune to. I just recently decided on Like Clickwork with my new affinity for vinyl. Now I'm wasting more time deciding between the regular version or deluxe :(.
    edited April 2017
    Sorry if this is old news: It looks like those who've been waiting for Binaural-, Riot Act- ans S/T-Reissues will be pretty happy about this (those are links for Binaural, but the others are there as well):

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/pearl-jam-binaural/hnum/6819597
    https://www.amazon.de/Binaural-Vinyl-LP-Pearl-Jam/dp/B06Y641268/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1492526725&sr=1-4&keywords=pearl+jam

P.S.: I'd hang on to originals until sound-reviews are in. That's why I posted in this thread ;).

I hope this doesn't mean Vault 6 will be delayed. One per year is way too slow already.
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    demetrios said:

I don't know if I need the box, but various colors would be PERFECT. Especially if they made it a mystery as to what color you'd get. We all know how NUTZ folks on the board go for mystery type things!
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    SK203708 said:

Sorry if this is old news: It looks like those who've been waiting for Binaural-, Riot Act- ans S/T-Reissues will be pretty happy about this (those are links for Binaural, but the others are there as well):

https://www.amazon.de/Binaural-Vinyl-LP-Pearl-Jam/dp/B06Y641268/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1492526725&sr=1-4&keywords=pearl+jam

P.S.: I'd hang on to originals until sound-reviews are in. That's why I posted in this thread ;).

I hope this doesn't mean Vault 6 will be delayed. One per year is way too slow already.

You posted a link to Amazon Holland or something. Not exactly an article ststaing they'll be reissued once per year. I cant read Dutch though, perhaps I missed it?
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874

SK203708 said:

You posted a link to Amazon Holland or something. Not exactly an article ststaing they'll be reissued once per year. I cant read Dutch though, perhaps I missed it?
    I think they were referring to the Vault releases. Anyway, here is the translation of text by the pay button -
    "Article not yet published, prospective delivery date is 30.6.2017.
    You can order the title now. Shipping to you is done immediately after availability.
    EUR 27.99 *"

Maybe this is why they are making room in the warehouse by doing the mystery boxes?

1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    Now I'm lost. Vault releases aren't sold on Amazon. The two are very different things- which I know you know. I thought the post was in reference to studio albums being re-released and that pre orders were up on Amazon Holland. That's how I read it anyway, and all I was saying was that that was peculiar to say the least since we haven't seen it on Amazon us or Canada or U.K. which we usually do.

Ignore me, carry on :)
  • Gibbon to FlyGibbon to Fly Sussex, UK Posts: 74
    If the band can sell custom to order CD's through Nuggs, can' this be done for Vinyl? Bespoke service, may take a little longer, but you would get your Vault #3, #4 etc in the end.................

London Wembley Arena 29/05/2000
    Milton Keynes Bowl 11/07/2014

London O2 18/06/2018

London O2 17/07/2018

EV - London Apollo 07/06/2017. Wembley Stadium 06/07/2019.

'Pearl Jam saved me from Hair Metal!!!'

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943

If the band can sell custom to order CD's through Nuggs, can' this be done for Vinyl? Bespoke service, may take a little longer, but you would get your Vault #3, #4 etc in the end.................

Probably not. Nugg's cd's (for the most part) are burned. They don't need to send an order to a pressing plant to get them made. They can burned them in house on the fly and then print the label on the disc, and the sticker for the cardboard sleeve.

With records you have to figure out how many you want, send the order to the pressing plant, wait for them to get pressed, and then a few months later you get your boxes of records. You can't really just keep order 1 record everytime someone wants one... :(

That's why the 10c does preorders for the vaults. That gives them a #, the add a few on for spares, put in the order, and then we get them a few months later.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

SK203708 said:

I think they were referring to the Vault releases. Anyway, here is the translation of text by the pay button -
    "Article not yet published, prospective delivery date is 30.6.2017.
    You can order the title now. Shipping to you is done immediately after availability.
    EUR 27.99 *"

Maybe this is why they are making room in the warehouse by doing the mystery boxes?

There's been a rumor of June 30 for re-release. Translaiton goes with that.
    But my thoughts are if it is official and not another bootleg, wouldnt 10c announce it before some foreign country starts taking pre-orders?

But I've always agreed with the previous post. Even bootleg vinyl is going for $80, they could easily squash that market. I could see not re-issuing Benny because it was limited, but why not everything else? It would sell, at least enough to make it worth while.