PEARL JAM: REISSUE YOUR CATALOG ON VINYL

Comments

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Zod said:

Someone on this thread or another said that they should look at how phish is doing it because they do a great job reissuing their catalogue. I have to agree. I just got rift the other day and like all their others, it's fantastic. They re master them to make them better suited for analog before they press it since they were all digital back in the day and then they include the download card of the analog music, which is killer quality. Rift is one of the best sounding vinyls I own, and as with all the others, the packaging is great.

They're also on the 45 rpm bandwagon for vinyl I just saw, as Trey just announced a preorder for a new album on 45 rpm tie dye vinyl. Looks pretty cool.

I'm not sure most the ones we want reissued need remastering? I thought the OP's of Vs./Vitalogy were pretty good, I still go them more often than the reissues. The mixing on No Code/Yield is some of the best out there. If they still have the original master, I think it would be pretty easy to simply repress. Binaural was done in it's own way so I don't think you'd want to mess with that. Riot Act/Avacado.. maybe?
    Oh, yeah dude, I agree 100%. I pretty much never ever play the reissues, it's all OG studio vinyl for PJ for me. Sound is way better. I guess I was talking about two things at once- if it was originally recorded digital, they should remaster it specifically for vinyl- not just remaster it for the sake of the reissue, which I think is what PJ has done, which none of us seem to like. It should stay true to the album, just optimized for vinyl. I'm just saying that the care Phish has put into their releases on vinyl is quickly evident, and unfortunately with PJ it seems their reissues have really lost the love. Phish hasn't done the box set junk, no freaking cassettes or photos in an envelope crap, just pure audio perfection on wax.... For the audiophile. No weird extras and poorly remastered albums.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2015
    demetrios said:

Just imagine ..

Just imagine they were able to release a custom wood vinyl box set. A box set that includes inside all 10 Pearl Jam albums reissued & pressed on various different colors. Numbered in an edition of 5,000.

Man, that would be pretty fucking sweet.

I really don't see the point in something like this for a band like PJ. It's just a way to lock most people out of the market because of the price. That doesn't seem to fit with PJ's thinking (at least I hope not).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SK203708SK203708 Posts: 48
    As long as they're pressing at GZ (we now have proof from the Sonic Ev. vinyl thread) we can forget about "audiophile" (whatever that means) reissues of the studio albums.
    SK203708 said:

As long as they're pressing at GZ (we now have proof from the Sonic Ev. vinyl thread) we can forget about "audiophile" (whatever that means) reissues of the studio albums.

I think that would have a lot more to do with the band and how they decide to source it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SK203708SK203708 Posts: 48
    edited August 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

SK203708 said:

I think that would have a lot more to do with the band and how they decide to source it.
    You're right - and i forgot that they used Record Industry in Holland to press the reissues of the first 3. That's where they got the manufacturing part right and one could hope that they go in the same direction with future reissues. Too bad that the sources used for the Ten/Vs/Vitalogy reissues were artricious.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    Zod said:

It also occurred to me that I'd love to see a vinyl set of the Dissident 3 disc set (Atlanta 94). That'd be pretty sweet :)

Oh, yeah, that would be fantastic! The Indifference from that show is one of my all time favourites.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    SK203708 said:

Mad Season isn't Pearl Jam? As far as I can tell the Sonic Evolution vinyl isn't a 10c/Pearl Jam release. Someone else is running with that ball and 10c was allocated a chunk of the copies being pressed. Then again lightning bolt had pretty bad issues wherever that was pressed.. lol. :)

Oh, yeah dude, I agree 100%. I pretty much never ever play the reissues, it's all OG studio vinyl for PJ for me. Sound is way better. I guess I was talking about two things at once- if it was originally recorded digital, they should remaster it specifically for vinyl- not just remaster it for the sake of the reissue, which I think is what PJ has done, which none of us seem to like. It should stay true to the album, just optimized for vinyl. I'm just saying that the care Phish has put into their releases on vinyl is quickly evident, and unfortunately with PJ it seems their reissues have really lost the love. Phish hasn't done the box set junk, no freaking cassettes or photos in an envelope crap, just pure audio perfection on wax.... For the audiophile. No weird extras and poorly remastered albums.

I agree on that. I wonder when PJ made the transition from analog to digital recording? Probably Riot Act or Avacado?
    Zod said:

I agree on that. I wonder when PJ made the transition from analog to digital recording? Probably Riot Act or Avacado?
    Yeah I don't know. I'm going to look it up and see. We all know there's just a big diff from pressing cd music onto vinyl or taking an analog recording and pressing it. Back in the 90's almost everything was digital so if be willing to guess most of PJ's catalogue is as well.

Yeah I don't know. I'm going to look it up and see. We all know there's just a big diff from pressing cd music onto vinyl or taking an analog recording and pressing it. Back in the 90's almost everything was digital so if be willing to guess most of PJ's catalogue is as well.

Maybe? Albums were still recording on analog through most of the 90s so I always assumed the masters were on analog. I didn't think recording/mastering in digital was something that became widespread until the 00's. IE I assumed all mediums (tapes, cd's, vinyl) were sourced from the master tapes (back in the day). Maybe I'm wrong. As everything is mastered in digital now I know the digital source is used for almost everything. Even with classic titles, they've lost the masters (or they've degraded) so some record companies (ahem back on black) simply used the CD as the master. I still think master tapes were used in the 90s though.

edited August 2015
    ^^^ It seems like that to me too. I think the digital sources really picked up when mp3s did. When people's mindsets really shifted to digital. How depressing, lol.
    Zod said:

Maybe? Albums were still recording on analog through most of the 90s so I always assumed the masters were on analog. I didn't think recording/mastering in digital was something that became widespread until the 00's. IE I assumed all mediums (tapes, cd's, vinyl) were sourced from the master tapes (back in the day). Maybe I'm wrong. As everything is mastered in digital now I know the digital source is used for almost everything. Even with classic titles, they've lost the masters (or they've degraded) so some record companies (ahem back on black) simply used the CD as the master. I still think master tapes were used in the 90s though.

Right on. You're probably correct on this
    PJ_Soul said:

^^^ It seems like that to me too. I think the digital sources really picked up when mp3s did. When people's mindsets really shifted to digital. How depressing, lol.

I think it was more to do with technology catching up. CD's hold 650mb which was astronomical in the 80s and still fairly large in the 90s. The software for mixing/mastering matured in the late 90s (ahem, protools). Computers got more powerful towards the later 90s. I think technology evolved to point it was possible to do it all digitally.

The consumer format had less to do with it. CD's are digital and had been around since the early 80s, but they still recorded on analog :)
    edited August 2015
    Zod said:

PJ_Soul said:

I think it was more to do with technology catching up. CD's hold 650mb which was astronomical in the 80s and still fairly large in the 90s. The software for mixing/mastering matured in the late 90s (ahem, protools). Computers got more powerful towards the later 90s. I think technology evolved to point it was possible to do it all digitally.

The consumer format had less to do with it. CD's are digital and had been around since the early 80s, but they still recorded on analog :)
    Yeah, what I meant was just that the general mindset changed with the era of mp3s (i.e. sound quality became less important), which is what lead to artists not bothering with sound quality on vinyl (or generally). To me, that is the only real explanation behind not using master recordings or just recording digitally in the first place.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I would hope people would want the best quality if they were reissued. Otherwise they're no better than those EUR bootlegs floating around.
    www.cluthelee.com

I would hope people would want the best quality if they were reissued. Otherwise they're no better than those EUR bootlegs floating around.

And...these were all pressed on vinyl before. Pearl Jam should get those master plates back and reissue off of them, not create a whole new plate.
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited August 2015

You mean people as in the band? If so, I think that's already been answered. They don't care. Or at least haven't for the first 3 reissues.
    If you mean the buyers, then yeah, of course they care. They just aren't getting what they want and are stuck with the only other option.
    PJ_Soul said:

You mean people as in the band? If so, I think that's already been answered. They don't care. Or at least haven't for the first 3 reissues.
    If you mean the buyers, then yeah, of course they care. They just aren't getting what they want and are stuck with the only other option.
    People, us people.
    www.cluthelee.com

PJ_Soul said:

People, us people.
    Well I sure wouldn't buy them, but that's easy for me to say, since I have the originals.
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, what I meant was just that the general mindset changed with the era of mp3s (i.e. sound quality became less important), which is what lead to artists not bothering with sound quality on vinyl (or generally). To me, that is the only real explanation behind not using master recordings or just recording digitally in the first place.

It's too bad because digital recording isn't that bad. Digital masters can be done in really high quality and it doesn't seem to crap until the mastering process when they crank up the loudness on everything. I originally thought lossy formats like mp3 would fade away as storage got bigger (as mp3's came about when storage was smaller and space was a big issue). Unfortunately I seem to be wrong. You are correct that most people don't seem to care. I had people over at place the other day. I have my whole music collection ripped to FLAC so I can use on my devices. I was playing music using my media box and someone assumed I was using a service like spotify. I explained that they were FLAC files from my own collection. Then they asked why I would do that... ugh.. :)
  • turner78turner78 Atlanta, GA Posts: 144
    I wish they could go the same route that Wilco has taken with their vinyl releases. All pressed on 180 gram, double gatefold LPs. Their only limited edition was the B-side box set they had last year and there were something like 7000 pressed. Their albums are digital sourced but a lot of care was put into the pressings. And they all sound great.
    Neil Young is also doing a great job with his reissues, using the original masters (not that that is surprising).
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited August 2015
    turner78 said:

I wish they could go the same route that Wilco has taken with their vinyl releases. All pressed on 180 gram, double gatefold LPs. Their only limited edition was the B-side box set they had last year and there were something like 7000 pressed. Their albums are digital sourced but a lot of care was put into the pressings. And they all sound great.

That B-side box along with the Live in Chicago boxset are some of the best vinyl recordings I have. I am convinced they mastered the live set from Analog.
    PJ_Soul said:

Neil Young is also doing a great job with his reissues, using the original masters (not that that is surprising).

Agree with this too... just wish they weren't so goddamn expensive... but Neil always does it right when it comes to music quality.
    Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    lolobugg said:

turner78 said:

That B-side box along with the Live in Chicago boxset are some of the best vinyl recordings I have. I am convinced they mastered the live set from Analog.
    PJ_Soul said:

Agree with this too... just wish they weren't so goddamn expensive... but Neil always does it right when it comes to music quality.
    Neil does a great job for sure. But I do take issue with the prices. I just bought a new, sealed vinyl copy of Dinosaur Jr's Bug Live at the 9:30 Club on Outer Battery Records for $14.00 and that record sounds so good it took half my head off and I'm still bleeding brains all over the place. Best vinyl investment I've made in several years. Not sure why all records can't be this reasonable AND sound this damn good!

And yes, PJ, PLEASE REISSUE THE VINYLS!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

You're right, they cost a bundle. NY doesn't shy away from outrageous pricing for his records or his shows.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    turner78 said:

I'm with ya except for the double LP's. One disc is plenty.
    edited August 2015

turner78 said:

I'm with ya except for the double LP's. One disc is plenty.
    Definitely. I hate those reissues that go from the original 1 disc to 2. I usually won't even buy them at all. I'll just save and/or hunt for the original instead.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • turner78turner78 Atlanta, GA Posts: 144
    While I agree on the price of vinyl being way too expensive, I also don't mind paying for quality. You put out a good product and charge $35.00, people are going to buy it. Hell, its still 1/10 of the cost of buying an original Binaural, Riot Act or Avocado. You put out a poor sourced record and charge $20.00, I feel ripped off.
    edited August 2015
    turner78 said:

While I agree on the price of vinyl being way too expensive, I also don't mind paying for quality. You put out a good product and charge $35.00, people are going to buy it. Hell, its still 1/10 of the cost of buying an original Binaural, Riot Act or Avocado. You put out a poor sourced record and charge $20.00, I feel ripped off.

I am definitely happier to spend more for quality than spend less for shit. But the quality vinyl really is too expensive still. We're seeing $40 - $50 reissues sometimes (they're not even all great quality!). That is insane. And $50 albums will actually prevent me from purchasing. Once it's much over $40 I'm feeling uncomfortable and start thinking about not buying (only talking reissues or brand new albums here. Obviously everything changes once we're talking original out of print albums, or boxset and shit like like that).
    PJ_Soul said:

turner78 said:

I am definitely happier to spend more for quality than spend less for shit. But the quality vinyl really is too expensive still. We're seeing $40 - $50 reissues sometimes (they're not even all great quality!). That is insane. And $50 albums will actually prevent me from purchasing. Once it's much over $40 I'm feeling uncomfortable and start thinking about not buying (only talking reissues or brand new albums here. Obviously everything changes once we're talking original out of print albums, or boxset and shit like like that).
    Phish rift limited edition on blue swirl vinyl- numbered LE and only sold at their summer festival.... I had a friend who went pick it up and mail it to me... Fucking $70 plus shipping. It sounds great, but you have to be kidding me!?! $70???

Also you got me hooked on qotsa by the way. Picked up like clockwork and was addicted immediately. Never heard them before, but it's such a good album I got Rated R and a songs for the deaf boot coming soon too... Thanks for helping me go broke!! But if there's anything else you love, let me know, I trust your judgement now :)