THEE OH SEES!!!

tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
edited November 2016 in Other Music
This band is fantastic! I'm looking for vinyl and CD's from them so if you have some and want to trade let me know!

If you haven't heard them yet check out their song Toe cutter/thumb buster. They have whole shows on youtube that are unbelievable.

I'm sure there are some people that know some more and I hope you post on here!

http://www.castlefacerecords.com/products/thee-oh-sees-live-in-san-francisco

New Album!

http://www.castlefacerecords.com/products/thee-oh-sees-a-weird-exits
Post edited by tempo_n_groove on

Comments

• EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    Soooo good! Great live band, too.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    EarlWelsh said:

Soooo good! Great live band, too.

Where did you see them at? I hear that they are doing a north american tour soon!
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    I saw them here in Buffalo maybe a year or so ago. They opened for Ty Segall so, unfortunately, didn't play too long of a set. It was an awesomely relentless set though. Hope I get to see them again soon.
  • Who's gonna see Thee Oh Sees in NY? Two thumbs pointed at this guy! I am stoked!!!

• EarlWelsh said:

I saw them here in Buffalo maybe a year or so ago. They opened for Ty Segall so, unfortunately, didn't play too long of a set. It was an awesomely relentless set though. Hope I get to see them again soon.

I just saw Ty Seagall and he was great. Band was super tight! It was funny though because the crowd couldn't hold him up standing up. The crowd eventually stopped catching people stage diving too.
  • Anybody see Thee Oh Sees at Warsaw last night? This band puts out such an amazing live show with such energy it's amazing!

If you have the chance you need to see them. Dwyer the front man has some guitar chops.

• I wasn't a fan until I saw them live. I had heard some songs and thought they were good but not great, and then I saw them. Amazing live band. Made me a fan for sure
    Walking is still honest
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    They are the best. Haven't been able to see them live yet though. I have something going on every time they are coming through. Like this week.

• They are the best. Haven't been able to see them live yet though. I have something going on every time they are coming through. Like this week.

You really need to make time!

I was mad that I saw TV on the radio instead of them a second time. I won't make that mistake again.

Oh and they played a few new songs.

They are playing NYC in September! Anybody going? They have 3 shows and I'm thinking of doing all 3.
    Anybody get the new album?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Henry Rollins is a major fan too. So, OK! What's the best place to start with them?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited August 2015
    They have so many albums and EPs, it's tough to know where to start. Also they have a few different sounds (psych folk, psychedelic rock, and garage rock), so their sound varies from album to album. I suggest starting with these 3.

Help
    Floating Coffin
    Carrion Crawler

I think those albums are their best and probably the best indicators of TOS sound.

Masters Bedroom
    Warm Slime

Are the next ones to go to.

Dog Poison and Castlemania are their psych folk LPs and have their moments. Putrifiers, Drop and Mutilator Defeated are solid albums as well. They also have 3 singles collections. Those are all over the place but should be checked out if you get past those first 5.

Make Sucks Blood and Cool Death the very last 2 you check out. 2 more psych folk records. It's their very early sound and the most different than anything else in their catalog. They have their admirers, but I think it's their worst material. IMO the band really starts with Masters Bedroom, at least there the band has a thread running through their evolving style.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on

Anybody get the new album?

Yeah. It's great. Love the new lineup. Drummer is a powerhouse.
    I miss Petey Dammit!!!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

They have so many albums and EPs, it's tough to know where to start. Also they have a few different sounds (psych folk, psychedelic rock, and garage rock), so their sound varies from album to album. I suggest starting with these 3.

Help
    Floating Coffin
    Carrion Crawler

I think those albums are their best and probably the best indicators of TOS sound.

Masters Bedroom
    Warm Slime

Are the next ones to go to.

Dog Poison and Castlemania are their psych folk LPs and have their moments. Putrifiers, Drop and Mutilator Defeated are solid albums as well. They also have 3 singles collections. Those are all over the place but should be checked out if you get past those first 5.

Make Sucks Blood and Cool Death the very last 2 you check out. 2 more psych folk records. It's their very early sound and the most different than anything else in their catalog. They have their admirers, but I think it's their worst material. IMO the band really starts with Masters Bedroom, at least there the band has a thread running through their evolving style.

Thanks, Tim. Will check out those first three.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Tim's right, so many good albums, cranking this now (must be played loud), definitely one of their best I've heard so far...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Floating Coffin.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
    Thumbuster/toecutter!!!!
  • Seeing these guys tonight! Anyone from 10C going?
  • They killed it tonight! Dwyer was on point!

Now I'll see them on Friday too!!!
  • Seeing them tonight at Warsaw in Brooklyn! Anybody going?!?
  • photo Image 3_zpsvebdydko.jpg

Poster on the left was night 1 and /50.

Poster on the right was the second printing for night 3 and /25.
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    You lucky fucker, I want to see Thee Oh Sees live badly.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • reesdog said:

You lucky fucker, I want to see Thee Oh Sees live badly.

They are doing a European/Japanese tour. Maybe take a trip to see them?

If u can u need to see these guys. So much energy!
    edited September 2015
    Oh and the posters were inspired by the lyrics of the song Withered Hand. I spoke with the artist about this. Nice guy.
  • markhammmarkhamm i come from the mountain Posts: 79
    edited February 2016
    Bump

These guys are excellent. A little unclear as to what is going on lineup-wise; John Dwyer left the Bay area and was/is touring with a new lineup, yet the last album (post re-location) Mutilator Defeated At Last has Brigid Dawson back doing backup vocals. I hope she sticks around, even if only in-studio...
    Post edited by markhamm on
    Never has gravity been so uplifting.
  • They are touring with a COMPLETELY different lineup. He's got a real bassist now, even though I loved Petey Dammit, and he's got two drummers.
    They sound amazing.
    Dwyer produces so much cool sound from his little set up he has. Truly amazing.
    Oh and they have a new 7" out. Get it before it's sold out.
  • markhammmarkhamm i come from the mountain Posts: 79
    Thanks- Where to find?
    Never has gravity been so uplifting.
  • WM31482WM31482 New York, NY Posts: 561

Seeing them tonight at Warsaw in Brooklyn! Anybody going?!?

I was there... Love the double drums