dinosaur jr

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    still liking this band.....but where you been? is not doing it for me like farm.

BTW, Brian......listening to a live Crowes bootleg.....OMG!!!!!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    brianlux said:

Oh to be there!

Soundcheck at Strawberry Music Fest Shanghai

Mascis looking like a boss!!!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Imagine getting to strum a little bit on this guitar! J Mascis playing Dylan's strat from Newport 1965!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6xgenrKoto
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    imalive said:

still liking this band.....but where you been? is not doing it for me like farm.

Have you heard "Hand It Over", "Without A Sound" and "Beyond"? "Beyond" is the predecessor to "Farm" and I look at "Several Shades of Why" as a companion piece to it.

Also, if you like J's solo acoustic stuff, "Martin and Me" is a must-have album, IMHO.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:

imalive said:

Have you heard "Hand It Over", "Without A Sound" and "Beyond"? "Beyond" is the predecessor to "Farm" and I look at "Several Shades of Why" as a companion piece to it.

Also, if you like J's solo acoustic stuff, "Martin and Me" is a must-have album, IMHO.
    I have 10 Mascis/Dino vinyl LP's but as of yet don't have "Hand it Over", "Martin and Me" and "Without A Sound". Guess I'd better start saving my cash and watching the listings for those- some are a bit pricey. Of course there's always CDs but Dino on vinyl is hard to beat

I was just listening to J Mascs and the Fogs' "Free So Free". The LP is worth tracking down! "Bobbin" is such an amazing song! Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKXu1RCCJFs

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

I have "Free So Free" and I just ordered "More Light" yesterday.
    J's side project "Heavy Blanket" is really badass, too. All instrumental, stoner riff-rock. Worth a listen if you dig heavy, guitar laden jamming.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I really liked Farm....where you been, not nearly as much.

where should I go next???
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    Saw them Tuesday opening for primus. Not a big fan but those 2 popular songs from the 90s were a good treat to hear then ended with a cure cover

Primus killed like always
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    You guys are making some solid suggestions to explore.
    Dosent matter if I'm listening to D-JRs old stuff or newer stuff it always has that tone that brings me back to another time.I dig it.
    Sometimes I'll follow it up with some Melvins or Tad.Thats a trifecta of grungy guitar goodness.
    imalive said:

I would recommend "Beyond" and "I Bet on Sky" as they sandwich "Farm" chronologically.

"Hand it Over" is awesome through and through. It was Dinosaur Jr's last release of the 90's. (The tracks "Can't We Move This" and "Alone" feature some of the greatest guitar ever recorded, IMO.) Definitely worth a listen. I was fortunate enough to see them live on this tour. It changed the way I appreciate live music performance.

Also, J Mascis' "Several Shades of Why" is excellent semi-Farm era music. Do yourself a favor and listen to this through good headphones. The music is great but the detail in the production of this album really shine through on a good set of cans.
    dudeman said:

imalive said:

I would recommend "Beyond" and "I Bet on Sky" as they sandwich "Farm" chronologically.

"Hand it Over" is awesome through and through. It was Dinosaur Jr's last release of the 90's. (The tracks "Can't We Move This" and "Alone" feature some of the greatest guitar ever recorded, IMO.) Definitely worth a listen. I was fortunate enough to see them live on this tour. It changed the way I appreciate live music performance.

Also, J Mascis' "Several Shades of Why" is excellent semi-Farm era music. Do yourself a favor and listen to this through good headphones. The music is great but the detail in the production of this album really shine through on a good set of cans.
    Excellent suggestions, dudeman. I'm a fan of "Beyond" and "I Bet on Sky" as well.

Yeah, "Several Shades of Why" is great late-night quiet time listening. A really fine album.

Seeing what you've said about it here, I definitely have to track down a copy of "Hand it Over". Thanks for the recommendation!

Also will check out "Heavy Blanket".

Nice video of Dino doing "The Lung" at FYF Fest. Wish I'd been there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBHFggNa7lg

• BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 471
    edited August 2015
    A few years back I caught the 25th anniversary show for the release of "You're Living All Over Me" and it was amazing! Now Dinosaur Jr is doing a series of shows to celebrate the 30 year anniversary “Dinosaur,” looks like its time to plan another trip to New york!
    http://www.dinosaurjr.com/celebrate-30-years-with-dinosaur-jr/
    Post edited by BikePHL on
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
    BikePHL said:

A few years back I caught the 25th anniversary show for the release of "You're Living All Over Me" and it was amazing! Now Dinosaur Jr is doing a series of shoe to celebrate the 30 year anniversary “Dinosaur,” looks like its time to plan another trip to New york!
    http://www.dinosaurjr.com/celebrate-30-years-with-dinosaur-jr/

Nice!

Just grabbed a vinyl copy of Live Bug yesterday. Fantastic! I'm one happy Dino FANATIC!

Dino fans- Dinosaur Jr is coming to Sacramento this Sunday as part of the TBD Fest! That's right, 45 minutes from my house but I'm not going. :frowning: I thought seriously about it but this is an all day festival and I have no idea when Dino is coming on. It would be too much for my trashed hearing. Besides, being infamously loud as they are, I'll probably be able to go out on my porch and listen to them from here, hahaha!

If any Dino fan here are near Sacto and you go, pleaase post a review here! Thanks.

http://www.tbdfest.com/

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2015
    So I have never knowingly listen to a Dinosaur Jr. song. I don't know how, but they went completely under my radar until now. I actually thought they were a brand new band, because I only noticed people talking about them here, recently. I guess I probably must have heard of them or read about them in passing over the years, but if I did, I forgot about it. So now that I'm no longer ignorant of their existence, lol, and because @brianlux named them as one of his top 5 favorite US bands ever in another thread (which is what brought me to this one), I'm going to give them a try now. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,998
    PJ_Soul said:

So I have never knowingly listen to a Dinosaur Jr. song. I don't know how, but they went completely under my radar until now. I actually thought they were a brand new band, because I only noticed people talking about them here, recently. I guess I probably must have heard of them or read about them in passing over the years, but if I did, I forgot about it. So now that I'm no longer ignorant of their existence, lol, and because Brianlux named that as one of his top 5 favorite US bands ever in another thread (which is what brought be to this one), I'm going to give them a try now. :)

top 2. PJ and Dino jr for me.
    edited September 2015
    Sweet. Well as I listen to the youtube mix right now, songs from Farm appeal to me the most so far (though I like the other stuff too). I like the kind of toned down style... though that could just be the mood I happen to be in right now. From my very first impressions, I can see myself getting into this band.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    go green mind from '91 and where you been from '93

go green mind from '91 and where you been from '93

I'm listening to it all in random order right now to get a general feel. I will single out albums next. ;)
    PJ_Soul said:

Sweet. Well as I listen to the youtube mix right now, songs from Farm appeal to me the most so far (though I like the other stuff too). I like the kind of toned down style... though that could just be the mood I happen to be in right now. From my very first impressions, I can see myself getting into this band.

I LOVE Farm! I too was late to catching on to Dinosaur Jr and Farm is what got me into them. I've been working my way back and now songs like "Just Like Heaven" , "Freak Scene" just knock my socks off... and a lot of the stuff from "Where You Been" too, especially "Start Chopin'"!!

Finally got a chance to sit back and thoroughly immerse myself in "Dinosaur Jr, Bug Live at the 9:30 Club." Had my mind thoroughly blow, and almost rocked my living room chair through the floor. Dino is playing in Sacramento tomorrow (today, actually as it is now officially Sunday, 9.20.15) and I will miss them (bummer) but nevertheless, seeing "Bug" live on video was one massively enjoyable music experience. Count me as another triple-x sized Dinosaur fan.

Is anyone going to the run of shows they are doing at the Bowery Ballroom in December?
    http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2015/08/dinosaur_jr_cel_1.html

Ive got 2 tickets for the show on Saturday December 5th, but have a family event that night and won't make it. If anyone out there is interested in trading their tickets for the show on Sunday the 6th for my Saturday tickets, please shot me a message!
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
    BikePHL said:

Is anyone going to the run of shows they are doing at the Bowery Ballroom in December?

Ive got 2 tickets for the show on Saturday December 5th, but have a family event that night and won't make it. If anyone out there is interested in trading their tickets for the show on Sunday the 6th for my Saturday tickets, please shot me a message!

I wish!! I hope they catch this on film like they did Live Bug! If anyone goes, please post a review!

I finally added the first Dinosaur Jr LP (self-titled, "Dinosaur") to my Dino collection. I'd been a bit nervous about this one because of the so-so reviews and wasn't sure it would be all that good. All Music gave it three stars. WHAT??? Are you kidding me? This record completely blew me off the couch. Unbelievable, these three young guys putting out a record like this. Knocked my socks right off. One happy FANATIC! here.

brianlux said:

I finally added the first Dinosaur Jr LP (self-titled, "Dinosaur") to my Dino collection. I'd been a bit nervous about this one because of the so-so reviews and wasn't sure it would be all that good. All Music gave it three stars. WHAT??? Are you kidding me? This record completely blew me off the couch. Unbelievable, these three young guys putting out a record like this. Knocked my socks right off. One happy FANATIC! here.

Indeed Brian. Epic first release.
    edited November 2015
    I don't know how I missed this up until now. Just saw it for the first time and it had my head nicely blown away. Crazy good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGDtxuvfWKA

...and the evolution of "Thumb"!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V50-P44XjKI
    Post edited by brianlux on

BikePHL said:

I couldn't find a trade partner so I ended up having to sell my tickets. Has anyone made it to one of the shows?
    BikePHL said:

BikePHL said:

I couldn't find a trade partner so I ended up having to sell my tickets. Has anyone made it to one of the shows?
    There's a great review by one of the forum members who just caught one of the shows where Dino played the first album straight through. Check it out:

http://freakscene.net/forums/topic/head-count-whos-going-to-the-30th-anniversary-show/

And if you're a fan, maybe consider joining the forum. Why do I like Dino so much? Like Mike Watt said, "'caus they're smokin'!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAai_YVkvyg

• YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    BikePHL said:

BikePHL said:

Sorry you couldn't make it (and that I didn't see your post until now). Henry Rollins and Jeff Tweedy were special guests on Saturday.
    I'm going tomorrow night…looking forward to it.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com