Cleveland, tell me about it

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
I have relatives there, hoping to one day make it there for a holiday.
Curious to learn more about the city.
Anyone from Cleveland here?
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Calling deadendp....
    She's near there. And I think DerbyDave, as well.
    ELITIST FUK
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited May 2015
    I'm closer than Dave. Dave is in Columbus and about an hour and 45 minutes - 2 hours south of me. I'm about 45 minutes south of Cleveland. Whatcha wanna know?

Dave would be great with concert venues and restaurants.

I could tell you city stuff and museums, parks and probably some historical stuff.
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I've only been there twice, but a couple of the places I absolutely loved and would recommend:
    -Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
    -Great Lakes Brewing (they offer free tours, too)
    -Mitchell's Ice Cream
    -Townhall (restaurant)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    Ive lived about 20 minutes outside of the city my entire life and recently moved into an apartment in the heart of Downtown. Feel free to message me with any questions!
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Lived there for my first 19 years in Strongsville, 20 minutes SW. There are definitely enough things to do to kill a week:
    1. Jacobs Field
    2. Rock Hall
    3. Brooklyn Zoo
    4. Cedar Point is a must
    5. Put-in-Bay is beautiful
    6. Depending on when, there's usually good things happening in the city, depending if you are with/out kids
    7. If you are a beer person, Great Lakes is good, but go to the Brew Kettle in Strongsville. They just won a national contest for their White Rajah IPA.
    8. GO TO A CAVS NBA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AND/OR PARADE!
    I love that video... especially the Kira Sedgwick reference. No one understands that one any more.

Let me add to my list:
    9. Hang out in Parma for a day.
    http://www.collegehumor.com/video/5964603/parma-state-of-mind
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I love Cleveland.

Indians game. Flannery's right there by the ballpark is an amazing irish-themed sports bar and one of my favorite spots in the country.

I love Great Lakes beers (well, some of them). I would like to tour the brewery some day.

I guess they have a good aquarium.

RRHOF

If you are in town in basketball season, it would probably be worth the price of admission to see Lebron.

Bunch of little cool spots all around downtown. I went to one place last time I was in town (I want to say it was called Lake Erie Pub or something like that). Cool little place with good music turned to a perfect volume that allowed for conversation. Decent beer selection, and also a connected panini/sandwich/pizza shop.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I heard it rocks. Some guy named Drew told me that.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:

I heard it rocks. Some guy named Drew told me that.

It was actually "all the little kids growing up on the skids" who told Ian Hunter...
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Cuyahoga Valley National Park: http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm
    Cleveland Metroparks: http://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/Main/Home.aspx
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    hahahahaha

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Holy crap... you busted out Big Chuck and Little John. What's next, Superhost? John Lannigan?
    edited May 2015
    The Christmas Story House is in Cleveland. We've had fun there. (And yes, I climbed under the cabinet.)

Lake View Cemetery is beautiful and has one of the very few Tiffany interiors that remains in existence. It's more of a gigantic sculpture garden.

The Cleveland Museum of Art is rebuilt and deliciously gorgeous. You could spend hours there along with other museums in University Circle. (My daughter has been to the Natural History Museum so many times that she could give you a tour with her eyes closed.) A good drive through Rockefeller Park on the way to University Circle is a must.

Fantastic winter birding can be done at the lakefront. Go to the "whaling wall" of Cleveland Public Power to watch the snowy owls come to the airport. It's a migration point for birds as they move on up to Canada. Depending the time of year, you can see some interesting ones come through.

Westside Market. Theresa's. The cannoli is more delicious than I can describe. If it were closer, I would visit on a regular basis. Not open every day.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Thank you all for the tips.
    I definitely want to go to the Rock hall of fame and a Bulls (my team) vs Cavs game.
    My cousin has tickets to Cavs games.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989
    Piggy-backing on this thread... Heading to Cleveland this weekend to watch my Red Sox finish up the regular season. Playing their best baseball of the season, too little too late. Anyway, are there any good record stores or hole-in-the-wall bars within walking distance from Jacobs Field (or whatever the commercialized name of the place is now)?

Thanks!
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
    Progressive Field or "The Pro." (I've only heard that term on the news, though.)

There are quite a number of great places to eat around the field, so you are good there. Personally, I can't think of a record store within walking distance. It's not to say that there isn't one. Just not one that I know of. There might be one in Tower City/The Avenue, but that wouldn't be a mom and pop shop.
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I went to Cleveland once. There's a ferry to some island with a crystal cave? I think
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    Not really in that area. There might be one in Tower City but nothing quaint or cool. The coolest one I can think of is Record Revolution over on Coventry Road in Cleveland Heights. It's pretty famous and was a big deal during the 70's. Coventry is a hippie kind of area and there are cool bars and restaurants there. They aren't trendy, rather hole in the wall.

Coventry is also right next to Little Italy, which is a real Little Italy. People still speak Italian there and it's very historic. This is all about 5-6 miles from the Jake. However, I would not walk this or even take public transportation to be honest. You go through the near East side which is the very rough part of town.
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    I feel embarrassed that the first time I heard of the city was when I saw Howard The Duck on The Movie Channel as a kid in the 80s.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,414
    Be outside of there on thursday
    CORNELL!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Is this where I say go Cavs?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Don't, just don't.
    Have them meet you somewhere cool lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    dankind said:
    Is this where I say go Cavs?
    YES!  You can throw in a Tribe shout out, if you'd like.  
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Maybe just see if your relatives will meet you in Pittsburgh.  
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    Don't be a degenerate fuck.
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    mrussel1 said:
    Don't be a degenerate fuck.
    Not really sure why all that was necessary
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place