What would you rather?

edited May 2015 in The Porch
Greatness or longevity? In option 1 they continue to tour. In option 2 they disband after they tour for their masterpiece.

What would you rather? 108 votes

PJ release 5 more records, that are good, but not considered great
56%
my_waverrivers2-feign-reluctancered mosLowlightDuncsWashedCopperTomAmherstJammermy2handsForce Of NatureGibsonThe Waiting Trophy Manon2legscoach pjNamipdalowskyHawk123whichwaysignnycrats 61 votes
PJ release 1 more album that is considered a masterpiece
43%
primussucksSarahbootlegger10a5pjDukeSpiritjertschavryph raph+TremoR_ChrisT+mfc2006brolocoRoeghmannShaqdaddyJP33dlb2334ComeToTXP34RL J4MM3Rrtwilli4JimmyVSS9981 47 votes
Post edited by Ten Backspaced Riot Actors on

Comments

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    At the rate they are going, five more albums would take 25 years! I'd take one more amazing piece of work.
  • PJ release 1 more album that is considered a masterpiece

At the rate they are going, five more albums would take 25 years! I'd take one more amazing piece of work.

Keep in mind they would disband after they support the "masterpiece". Does that change your mind?
  • SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736

Keep in mind they would disband after they support the "masterpiece". Does that change your mind?
    Tough call. Their post-album disbanding would weigh heavy on me, and at the same time, I've never really liked it when artists release a record and then take a "farewell tour" victory lap. Seems a little self-congratulatory. (Plus, how many "final" tours have there been for Cher, Streisand, et. al.?)

That all said, I'm much more into listening to records than I am seeing concerts, so one final amazing Pearl Jam record with a back catalogue of their previous work would do me fine for the rest of my life if that's what it came down to.
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I voted before realizing they were going to disband in option 2. I just want them to tour. I don't care about new material. The catalog as is rocks. There are still songs I'm chasing. There are still venues I want to see them in. I just want them to tour for as long as they can. They don't need to record another song for me to be happy. Anything that they do record is a bonus.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • scott nowlandscott nowland Australia Posts: 247
    Pearl jams "good" is the equivalent to any other bands "great" so ill take five more
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Masterpiece for me may be crap for u and the opposite..
    for me masterpiecece is binaural and riot act and not no code and yield that are masterpoece for others..so i would love to listen to their new music..no matter if 1 or 5 albums
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,786
    edited May 2015
    Give me 5. It's art. What ever is considered a masterpiece, I might not. I'll take the extra music. For ex, I know ppl consider Sgt Pepper to b the Beatles masterpiece, but I've always favored The White Album (and Magical Mystery Tour, and Revolver).
    Post edited by pledgeagrievance on
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Tour more. I dont care if its in support of an 'good' album, a 'great' album, or no album... I just need more dates!
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    5 good records is way more than any band out today can do.
    www.cluthelee.com
    It's a hard decision for me. On one hand I would rather they continue to tour forever, go the way of the Stones and continue to put out albums every 3 yrs, like Neil Young - even if their live performances decline to an otherwise unacceptable level, and their creative output becomes uninspired and "doing it for the sake of doing it". It's hard to let go of a band that has always been there, since 6th grade for me. I'm now in my 30's.

But on the other hand all good things must come to an end. And it would be a nice story, if they went out on top. If they recorded an album that put an exclamation point on their Hall of Fame career. What if it were a double album? What if they said to one another, "we will record one last record, but we will do it 110%." Meaning they would rent a home, build a studio, live together until the album is finished and excellent. If they finished strong and casual, hardcore fans along with the critics would aplaud them. PJ would be an inspiration to another generation of up and coming artists. BUT then after the tour for that album they would call it a career and we would have to let go.

Again, a tough decusion but I would want them to go for the homerun, go out on top. Give me the masterpiece!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Oops, didn't read the entire question. Whatever option has them keep touring is the one I would have picked.

• PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    As long as I can see them on tour, I'm happy!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Think about how much the band has evolved in the last 5 records. THEN try to imagine where they might be in 5 more. There's no way I'd pass on all of that music, all of those lived shows and seeing how they'll continue to grow in that time.

That's my objective answer, but my selfish answer is the same. I've grown up with this band and my tastes have evolved with their growth. And I'm still at a point in my life where I NEED this band. I NEED their music. And I don't foresee a time when I won't.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

It's a hard decision for me. On one hand I would rather they continue to tour forever, go the way of the Stones and continue to put out albums every 3 yrs, like Neil Young - even if their live performances decline to an otherwise unacceptable level, and their creative output becomes uninspired and "doing it for the sake of doing it". It's hard to let go of a band that has always been there, since 6th grade for me. I'm now in my 30's.

But on the other hand all good things must come to an end. And it would be a nice story, if they went out on top. If they recorded an album that put an exclamation point on their Hall of Fame career. What if it were a double album? What if they said to one another, "we will record one last record, but we will do it 110%." Meaning they would rent a home, build a studio, live together until the album is finished and excellent. If they finished strong and casual, hardcore fans along with the critics would aplaud them. PJ would be an inspiration to another generation of up and coming artists. BUT then after the tour for that album they would call it a career and we would have to let go.

Again, a tough decusion but I would want them to go for the homerun, go out on top. Give me the masterpiece!

I don't think any of the band members will continue doing it just for the sake of it. the impression I get from everything they have said, is that they will do it until it is no longer fun. and that sounds to me like a long way off. but things can change pretty quickly, especially at age 50+. crossing my fingers.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• themrpearljamthemrpearljam Posts: 305
    Why can't this be the more
    popular game of
    Who Would Ya
  • JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710
    Touring is everyting for me. They will still play their classic hits and that's enough for me.
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    Whoops, also clicked too early. I vote for more touring!
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,158
    Hell, I'd take 0 records and continued touring over 1 record and disbanding, no matter how good that 1 record is.
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    A lot of people put Lightning Bolt and Backspacer in the 'good but not great' category. I like them both a lot and would love 5 more albums of that caliber.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    mattcoz said:

Hell, I'd take 0 records and continued touring over 1 record and disbanding, no matter how good that 1 record is.

+1
    Suziemay said:

mattcoz said:

+1
    Interesting...it's tough because PJ are such a legendary live band. But I would still want to new tunes

The poll is meant to be difficult to generate discussion.

It makes me appreciate how good we have it as fans.

In high school, 1996 for me, a classmate and I were arguing about which band would be around 20 yrs from then. PJ had just played the Berlin show-which was broadcast on the radio live and I recorded on cassette. I was in love with that show (highly recommended). I thought at that time at the height of the backlash from the issues around that time that somehow, someway they would survive and be relevavt. And they have been.

Btw she argued that PJ would fall off the radar never to be seen or heard from again. She felt Korn was the better choice.
  • EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,808
    though 5 more records would be sweet I do need one more epic album from this band before this ride ends that i listen to over and over again. I like BS and LB but I dont listen to them over and over like Yield, Riot Act, etc etc etc. The newer albumns do not take me on that emotional journey like the earlier ones did.
  • JT_JamFanJT_JamFan Posts: 169
    Farewell tour would need to be a four to five hour, catalog extensive epic with 5 night residences in all the major cities! And then maybe they can do a week long stint at the gorge. But yeah, one more exceptional front to back album beats five more 60/40 (awesome/mediocre) song sets. To everything there is a season. Nothing worse than bands that continue to tour and put out records without anything substantial to add to their catalog.
    Escape is never the safest path....

Atlanta 9.1.98
    Dallas 11.15.13
    Ft. Worth 9.15.23
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    If they hadn't been around for so long and had fewer studio albums, and didn't have such a HUGE catalog of live stuff, I would have chosen differently. But at this point, I'd definitely go for the one masterpiece over five LB-level albums (okay, not great, some awfulness), or, worse, risking anything as bad as Backspacer (IMHO).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Got me thinking! What's a masterpiece? Everyone has a different perception so everyone interprets slightly differently, that's why it's great when these perceptions collide and albums like no code and yield hit a universal nerve. Obviously some albums have more impact than others, but it would be great to see the band evolve for more years, live especially.
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    This would be a tougher question if they toured either way. Regardless, 5 albums for sure. Some people don't consider "No Code" a masterpiece.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374

Masterpiece for me may be crap for u and the opposite..
    for me masterpiecece is binaural and riot act and not no code and yield that are masterpoece for others..so i would love to listen to their new music..no matter if 1 or 5 albums

Exactly.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore