death cab for cutie

se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 321
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Anyone other pj fans like death cab for cutie? I am a pearl jam fanatic but the band that comes closest for me in my fav bands is dcfc
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I made a really solid effort to check this band out because a lot of people I know that have otherwise good musical taste like this band. I head all their albums all the way through twice and was extremely bored and unimpressed. I'd be happy if Death Cab were the worst band I'd ever heard (because there would be a lot less really shitty music out there) but they are just not my cup of tea.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • JPRJPR Posts: 20
    MCG wrote:
    I made a really solid effort to check this band out because a lot of people I know that have otherwise good musical taste like this band. I head all their albums all the way through twice and was extremely bored and unimpressed. I'd be happy if Death Cab were the worst band I'd ever heard (because there would be a lot less really shitty music out there) but they are just not my cup of tea.

I agree with you, MCG. They just don't do it for me either.
  • i like transatlanticism and the photo album. they're good songwriting and well produced albums. trans being still walla's best production work. i don't like plans at all. they were good opening up for pearl jam. but i saw them recently and they really seem like they don't like playing live anymore. i wouldn't be surprised if they split up actually.
  • i'm sorry but i just really really hate death cab for cutie
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i dig em. i really love their first album. so tripped out, kinda like a built to spill alvum. their last two have been much poppier than their earlier work, and that's ok with me.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I need to be in the mood for these guys. I have four of their albums and they are all good, but transatlaticism is the only one i find myself going back to and listening to over and over again.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    I need to be in the mood for these guys. I have four of their albums and they are all good, but transatlaticism is the only one i find myself going back to and listening to over and over again.

yeah that's definitely their best. and i would have to say one of the best records of the decade thus far.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    I've been listening to them a lot on Pandora recently, really like the new song when it comes on.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    awesome band, I think they opened for pj a long time ago?
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465

awesome band, I think they opened for pj a long time ago?

lol, if 2004 is a long time ago, then I'm old. haha. DCFC joined Pearl Jam for the Vote For Change Tour.
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    I've seen DCFC several times and they put on a good show. We're usually some of the oldest people there, but I still enjoy myself!
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Bummed I missed their show here yesterday, been wanting to catch them for years now. Someday! They make some fantastic music. I dig most of the new album, too!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Hello there. Anyone see them on tour this year yet? Digging the new album
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Hello there. Anyone see them on tour this year yet? Digging the new album
    Saw them on Thursday night. I didn't know how much I needed to hear What Sarah Said even though the song wrecks me every time.
    Was a fantastic show, the new songs sounded great. Still miss Chris Walla on the older tracks, however.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    No Chris Walla no Death Cab.
    Great band with CW.  Even Codes and Keys was good.  Hit or miss live.  
    edited October 2018
    They played Transatlanticism in its entirety last night in Chicago. 15th anniversary.
  • TvanTvan Chicago Posts: 73
    They played Transatlanticism in its entirety last night in Chicago. 15th anniversary.
    That was a great show!!

They always rock out live, in a way that you don't expect if all you have heard is the studio albums. 
    EAST TROY, WI 9/3/11
    CHICAGO, IL 8/20/16
    CHICAGO, IL 8/22/16
    CHICAGO, IL 8/18/18
    CHICAGO, IL 8/20/18
  • WM31482WM31482 New York, NY Posts: 561
    Anybody going to Brooklyn tonight? 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    MCG said:
    They have a few songs that I really like.  Whenever I hear them I think "damn I should check them out."  I do kind of wonder if I would come to the same conclusion as you.

I was going to see them live this year and for some reason I couldn't go.  That would be a good way to hear more of their catalog.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville