Billboard article today on EV solo tour

acjc1acjc1 Posts: 49
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Focus is on Liam Finn, but his "one man band" comments makes me think that it's Ed without a backing band...

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSN2628424220080226

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - When Pearl Jam singer Eddie Vedder launches his first solo tour in April, he will have some capable support from a relative veteran almost half his age.

New Zealand singer/songwriter Liam Finn will open the seven shows on Vedder's "April Fool's Tour" of the West Coast, which kicks off April 2 in Vancouver, B.C. Finn is currently on the road to promote his solo debut, "I'll Be Lightning" (Yep Roc).

"I've known Eddie since I was about 10 or 11 years old," Finn, 24, told

Billboard.com. "He's kind of a friend of the family, I suppose."

The "family" would be Finn's father, Neil, and uncle, Tim, who were the principal singer/songwriters in Split Enz, a New Zealand art-rock band often praised by Vedder. Neil went on to form Crowded House, which Tim briefly joined. Vedder, 43, has crossed paths with the Finns at various times.

"My last band Betchadupa supported Pearl Jam in Australia, and (Eddie) would get up and sing a song with us," Finn recalls. "This is the first time he has really wanted to work with me on a tour, which is really exciting."

Finn describes his live performance as a "wild one-man-band kind of show where I make guitar loops, then go and play drums. It's pretty gnarly and wild."

He toured last year with Crowded House, but "this will be the first time in America doing the 16-hour-drives-in-a-band kind of touring," he says.

Asked what it was like growing up in such a musical environment, Finn says, "I don't know any different. It was normal for me, because it was my reality. But it was really amazing to travel and watch music every night. It was a pretty inspiring way to grow up."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• acjc1 wrote:
    Focus is on Liam Finn, but his "one man band" comments makes me think that it's Ed without a backing band...

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSN2628424220080226

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - When Pearl Jam singer Eddie Vedder launches his first solo tour in April, he will have some capable support from a relative veteran almost half his age.

New Zealand singer/songwriter Liam Finn will open the seven shows on Vedder's "April Fool's Tour" of the West Coast, which kicks off April 2 in Vancouver, B.C. Finn is currently on the road to promote his solo debut, "I'll Be Lightning" (Yep Roc).

"I've known Eddie since I was about 10 or 11 years old," Finn, 24, told

Billboard.com. "He's kind of a friend of the family, I suppose."

The "family" would be Finn's father, Neil, and uncle, Tim, who were the principal singer/songwriters in Split Enz, a New Zealand art-rock band often praised by Vedder. Neil went on to form Crowded House, which Tim briefly joined. Vedder, 43, has crossed paths with the Finns at various times.

"My last band Betchadupa supported Pearl Jam in Australia, and (Eddie) would get up and sing a song with us," Finn recalls. "This is the first time he has really wanted to work with me on a tour, which is really exciting."

Finn describes his live performance as a "wild one-man-band kind of show where I make guitar loops, then go and play drums. It's pretty gnarly and wild."

He toured last year with Crowded House, but "this will be the first time in America doing the 16-hour-drives-in-a-band kind of touring," he says.

Asked what it was like growing up in such a musical environment, Finn says, "I don't know any different. It was normal for me, because it was my reality. But it was really amazing to travel and watch music every night. It was a pretty inspiring way to grow up."

Pretty sure the one man band comment is about Finn's performance.
  • great find dude! this tour is getting better and better. ill see all you fools in san diego
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    Pretty sure the one man band comment is about Finn's performance.

yes. without a doubt he was referring to himself - not ed.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,547
    acjc1 wrote:

I think it's LIAM without a backing band.

But, if that's the case, perhaps Ed chose him because he intends to go that route himself.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• OMG - am I the only one here that remembers Split Enz? "I don't know why sometimes I get frightened". Cool didn't know the history behind Liam Finn.
    Peace,
    Two Birds wrote:
    OMG - am I the only one here that remembers Split Enz? "I don't know why sometimes I get frightened". Cool didn't know the history behind Liam Finn.

Wait. You saw the name 'Finn' in a Pearl Jam online message board and didn't immediately think of Neil or Tim?

C'mon dude. It had to be the same family...

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Sorry many moons have passed since I thought of them. Just didn't but the two-together.
    Peace,
    don't think anybody pointed it our so i will:
    someone need to tell Billboard that it's 10 dates now :rollleyes:
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Pegasus wrote:
    don't think anybody pointed it our so i will:
    someone need to tell Billboard that it's 10 dates now :rollleyes:

jeez :rolleyes:
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Cool! Thank you for the article! :-)
    "I am the first mammal to wear pants....yeah"
    6/95 -SF, CA.
    11/95 -SJ, CA.
    7/03 -Mt. View, CA.
    10/25/03 -Mt. View, CA.
    7/9/06 -LA, CA.
    7/15/06 -SF, CA.
    7/17/06 -SF, CA.
    10/22/06 -Mt. View, CA.
    12/9/06 -Honolulu, HI
    Eddie!-SC, CA. 4/5/08
    Eddie!-Berkeley. 4/7/08
    6/28/08- Mansfield, MA.
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    PJPixie wrote:
    jeez :rolleyes:
    well it isn't very professional not to check basic facts.. it's a big publication, not some random blog..
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Pegasus wrote:
    well it isn't very professional not to check basic facts.. it's a big publication, not some random blog..

again..............jeez :rolleyes:
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • I saw Liam when he opened for Crowded House and he was amazing! He was the band. Make sure you get there to see him. You won't regret it!!!
    92 Atlanta; 93 Boulder; 94 Denver 1-2; 95 Red Rocks 1-2; 96 Charlotte, Charleston; 98 Atlanta, Greenville, Knoxville, Columbia, Washington; 99 Bridge 1-2; 00 Atlanta, Vegas; 01 Bridge 1-2, Seattle; 02 Seattle; 03 Vegas, Bridge 1-2; 04 Asheville; 05 Toronto; 06 E. Ruth 1-2, Hawaii 1-2; 07 London; 08 Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Hartford, Boston 1 & 2, Beacon
  • I would expect some serious surprises certainly at the LA shows. No way that Ed does not do some stuff with friends. Ben Harper anyone? Flea? No doubt some Hollywood types show up. Expecting Sean maybe Tim Robbins. Id love it if Ed did a set with Jack and Flea as a makeup for Bridge.