BILL COSBY IS A CONVICTED RAPIST

The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
edited September 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
why is nobody talking about this?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/14/showbiz/tv/bill-cosby-rape-allegations/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Bill Cosby: Evolution of an icon Bill Cosby: Evolution of an icon

Bowman claims she was drugged then raped, though she said she never saw drugs.

"I woke up out of a very confused state not in my clothes." She said she knew her body had been touched without her permission. This occurred several times in the course of their contact, she said.

She said to CNN that Cosby told her she had been drunk.

Bowman was 17 back then in 1985, an aspiring actress, and was in a mentoring relationship with Cosby, she said.

She spent time in his home, which included dinners with the star.

Despite what she said was happening to her, she kept coming back. And Cosby and her agent financed her apartment in addition to supporting her acting ambitions, she said.

She was afraid to talk to her agent about her concerns, and she felt Cosby's influence over her was too powerful.

"I was terrified of him," she said.

"As a teenager, I tried to convince myself I had imagined it. I even tried to rationalize it: Bill Cosby was going to make me a star and this was part of the deal," she wrote in her Washington Post article.

In a Friday morning interview on CNN's "New Day," Bowman said she went to a lawyer in 1989 to discuss legal action against Cosby but "he laughed me right out of the office."

After that, Bowman said, she "just gave up" and moved on with her life. When another woman took legal action against Cosby years later, Bowman decided to lend her support, she said.

"I believe her because it happened to me," she said Friday.

CNN has reached out to Cosby's representative for comment on this story, but has yet to hear back.

The Tweet

On Monday, the comedian -- or whomever was in charge of his social media -- put out a challenge with a jovial picture of Cosby in a cap: "Go ahead. Meme me! #cosbymeme."

The Internet immediately reacted, but probably not in the way Cosby expected.

In late October, comedian Hannibal Buress bluntly attacked what he perceived as Cosby's "smuggest old black man public persona" by saying, "Yeah, but you rape women, Bill Cosby, so turn the crazy down a couple notches. 'I don't curse onstage.' Well, yeah, you're (a) rapist, so I'll take you saying lots of m*****f*****s on 'Bill Cosby: Himself' if you weren't a rapist."

A couple weeks later, Cosby was booked on Queen Latifah's talk show, but the allegations reportedly gave the staff "cold feet," according to TMZ. Cosby's booking was "postponed at his request," the website reported in an addendum. (Cosby did do interviews with Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Fallon without incident.)

For years, Cosby has denied the rape allegations. In February, after Newsweek ran an interview with one of the purported victims, Tamara Green, Cosby's representative said, "This is a 10-year-old, discredited accusation that proved to be nothing at the time, and is still nothing."

Nine years ago, when Green was interviewed by Matt Lauer on the "Today" show, his lawyer issued a statement: "Miss Green's allegations are absolutely false. Mr. Cosby does not know the name Tamara Green or (maiden name) Tamara Lucier and the incident she describes did not happen. The fact that she may have repeated this story to others is not corroboration."

In the case of Andrea Constand, who sued Cosby in 2005 over an incident the year before, Cosby says the sex was consensual.

Lawsuit airs allegations

At the time of Constand's lawsuit, Cosby had been in the news for a sexual affair once before. In 1997, a woman named Autumn Jackson claimed to be Cosby's love child. Cosby admitted to a relationship with Jackson's mother but denied paternity. Jackson was later convicted of extortion.

However, it wasn't until Constand's lawsuit in 2005 that the comedian was accused of rape.

Constand, a staffer for Temple University's women's basketball team, said in her suit that Cosby -- a Temple alum -- had become a mentor to her in the months since they met in 2002. In early 2004, he invited her to his house in suburban Philadelphia. Constand told Cosby she was feeling stressed and Cosby gave her three blue pills, which he described as "herbal medication," according to her suit, which was posted on The Smoking Gun.

Then, her "knees began to shake, her limbs felt immobile, she felt dizzy and weak, and she began to feel only barely conscious," the suit continued. Cosby then gave her another drug, she said, and led her to the sofa, where she says she was sexually molested.

"When Plaintiff awoke, her clothes and undergarments were in disarray," the suit said.

Constand later returned to her native Canada, where she reported the incident to police. Authorities in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, followed up with an investigation, but that February declined to press criminal charges due to a lack of evidence.

Cosby's lawyer, Walter M. Phillips Jr., told CNN the allegations were "utterly preposterous" and "plainly bizarre." Cosby appeared surprised by the allegations.

"Looking back on it, I realize that words and actions can be misinterpreted by another person, and unless you're a supreme being, you can't predict what another individual will do," he told the National Enquirer in March 2005.

Constand filed a civil suit in March 2005. Constand's lawyers said they found 13 Jane Doe witnesses with similar stories. However, Constand's suit was settled in November 2006, and the witnesses were never called. Terms have not been disclosed.

The influence of Bill Cosby

Tarnished reputation

As Mark Whitaker's recent Cosby biography makes clear, the man has his demons. He had affairs while on the road and there have been bumps in his long marriage to his wife, Camille.

But Whitaker, a former CNN managing editor, told CNN that he didn't feel comfortable airing the rape allegations.

"Basically, I knew that I was going to have to be very careful in what I said about his private life. I felt that way as a journalist and also for legal reasons," he said in an interview about the biography.

"In the case of these other allegations, basically because there were no definitive court findings, no independent witnesses, it didn't meet my standard for what I was going to put in the book."

"I also was very aware that if I just did a she said-he said, and I printed allegations and denials without my own independent reporting, first of all it's not really in the spirit in the book, but also every person who then reviewed or reported on the book would be free to repeat those unconfirmed allegations just because they were in my book. And I just didn't feel comfortable being responsible for that."

Still, the rape allegations are always just a mouse click away.

Not long after Constand's accusations hit the media, Tamara Green went public with her claims on "Today." A few months later, another Jane Doe, Beth Ferrier, also spoke out. Bowman came forward in 2006. Green and Bowman both gave interviews to Newsweek in early 2014.

How all the controversy has affected Cosby personally is unknown. He's still scheduled to star in an NBC sitcom next year, and his skills as a comedian appear undiminished. Last year's concert movie, "Far From Finished," earned mostly positive reviews, and his recent comedy tour has also received praise.

But his once-sterling reputation has taken a hit. The Washington Post, Salon and The New York Times have all mentioned the rape allegations in stories, criticizing Cosby to varying degrees.

chinese-happy.jpg
Post edited by The Juggler on
Tagged:

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The last paragraph of the article makes no sense.

No idea of the truth, have issues with some making allegations, and have always liked / respected the Cos as a person, comedian, etc.

(nice tag, by the way)
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Really why has this not gotten any traction in the news i mean multiple victims and this is the 1st i'm hearing of it , where is the big mouth Sharpton on this ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    jose, I remember reading about this a few years ago, then nothing. I figured it was unsubstantiated.

His "Himself" show is one of the best!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    It's getting there. Dude is Teflon though. Darren sharper is going to spend the rest of his life in jail and this guy can get away with something like 13 people accusing him of the exact same thing
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    What about Pete Townshend. Did you all believe him?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    SO37031 said:

Honestly, I wanted to believe him, and his reasoning behind the info on his computer made sense to me.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    hedonist said:

SO37031 said:

Honestly, I wanted to believe him, and his reasoning behind the info on his computer made sense to me.
    Wait.. What??
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

Really why has this not gotten any traction in the news i mean multiple victims and this is the 1st i'm hearing of it , where is the big mouth Sharpton on this ....

Because there is no evidence.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • i mean, the guy use to be a regular at the playboy mansion. probably was just used to getting what he wanted.
    looking to hear of the earth
    edited November 2014

i mean, the guy use to be a regular at the playboy mansion. probably was just used to getting what he wanted.

So any man or woman who spent time there is ok to be branded as a rapist? Is Hef one too, since it's his place?

I really hope this ridiculousness was said with sarcasm.

PJ_Soul said:

Aside from the word of about a dozen women
  • hedonist said:

i mean, the guy use to be a regular at the playboy mansion. probably was just used to getting what he wanted.

So any man or woman who spent time there is ok to be branded as a rapist? Is Hef one too, since it's his place?

Eh, not really. Bill Cosby has been an asshole for years. And you must admit, being a regular at the playboy mansion might give you slight feelings of entitlement. Plus the dozen women who have accused him. Must be a huge coincidence.

hedonist said:

Eh, not really. Bill Cosby has been an asshole for years. And you must admit, being a regular at the playboy mansion might give you slight feelings of entitlement. Plus the dozen women who have accused him. Must be a huge coincidence.
    Actually, no I mustn't admit that, especially based on your supposition; just as I have to wonder about any inside knowledge of Cosby in terms of being an asshole.

Just saying I don't know, and my opinion is no more founded than yours. I do know, though, that for every legit claim, there's at least one with motives other than justice.
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Actually, no I mustn't admit that, especially based on your supposition; just as I have to wonder about any inside knowledge of Cosby in terms of being an asshole.

Just saying I don't know, and my opinion is no more founded than yours. I do know, though, that for every legit claim, there's at least one with motives other than justice.
    Good god

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Good god
    And...?

• Do some research. Hell, listen to his interview from today on npr. Just because you think he is funny and great doesn't mean he's above it. And yes, show me one of those old timers who were regulars at the mansion and I'll show you a womanizer and someone used to getting what they want.
    Wait - are you Cliffy too?

Look, I'm not inclined to research this shit, which is why I mentioned opinion. If yours, by virtue of your research, makes it founded on fact, so be it.

Rose-colored glasses not worn here; I'm not naive. I'm not swooning over the guy, I respect what I know of him and have said - will say again - I don't know. Do you?
  • Well how did you come to your opinion if you know nothing about it?
    I've come upon some articles such as that in the OP and have read them, thus forming an opinion. This can't be unheard of?

In terms of going further than that, nope.

I still maintain no one but Cosby and the women making those claims know the truth. Anything else IS opinion.
  • JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,404
    He's black.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited November 2014
    JV130312 said:

He's black.

Meaning what?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I SWEAR ( ;-) ) this just doesn't sound like the Coz, but who knows?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    this is shocking, to many women for it to be false accusations but still we all tend to jump to conclusions too quickly with any leak of information, classic example is ac/dc and what recently happened but I still think there's too many allegations this time around and law is law can't escape facts, look at the hey dad guy he had no evidence against him but lots of girls
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2014

PJ_Soul said:

That's not evidence.
    I'm not making a statement here... it's just the fact. Without something more than some women making claims with no proof at all, the media obviously doesn't really want to go there (or not so far, anyway). There isn't enough proof for accusing someone like Cosby of being a rapist. If it were someone unlikable or anything politician or something it would be different, of course. Anyway, I don't care if the media is giving it attention. If there is any evidence, then the police need to investigate. If they aren't investigating due to lack of evidence, then I'd say the media is probably right to not run with the story.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

There isn't enough proof for accusing someone like Cosby of being a rapist. If it were someone unlikable or anything politician or something it would be different, of course.
    Again, good god. I don't even know what to say.

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    JV130312 said:

He's black.

What? What?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • You all know he's settled privately out of court with one of them. Seems weird if he's innocent.
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I do know, though, that for every legit claim, there's at least one with motives other than justice.

False. Statistically sexual assault is wildly underreported. Yes, there are false claims made, but it's hardly a 1:1 ratio.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435