Pearl Jam
Pinnacle Bank Arena
Lincoln, NE.
Oct 09. 2014
Set List

01. Pendulum
02. Sometimes
03. Nothingman
(Ed greets the audience, notes they have never played Lincoln before and compliments the new building.  He then ads, “Some pretty good bands have played here but with due respect to Rod Stewart and all due respect to Katy Perry I think we need to rattle the bolts on this place.”)
04. Go
05. Why Go
06. Getaway
07. Corduroy
(Ed is handed a Huskers Jersey with his name on it.  He talks about how intimidating the building is that they play in.  He says someone told him the “N” on the helmet stands for “Nowledge”.)
08. Light Years (Dedicated to Ed’s Uncle John who “couldn’t be here tonight.....but he is.”)
09. Mind Your Manners
10. Sirens
11. Present Tense
12. Eruption-(Van Halen)
13. Even Flow
(Ed wants to remind people of “something they already know.  Time is fucking precious.”)
14. Infallible
15. Do The Evolution
16. God’s Dice
(Ed chats at young boy in the pit.  He is turning six tomorrow.  Ed tells him this next song is about atomic bombs and tomahawk warheads.  The future is in Louis’ hands and Ed is sure he is up to the task.)
17. Insignificance
18. 1/2 Full
19. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
20. Porch

Encore Break 1

(Walgreen’s pesters Ed to sign up for a discount card)
21. You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away-(Lennon, McCartney)
22. Imagine-(Lennon) (“Happy birthday John”)
23. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
24. Given To Fly  (for ‘Brother Matt’ who had a difficult journey to get here)
25. Lightning Bolt
26. Jeremy
27. Black (Ed quotes Rearviewmirror lyric in outro)
28. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 2
(Ed praises the local crew of this venue and the one in Tulsa.  He also thanks the touring crew for getting the show set up in time even though they had a bus breakdown and a long drive)

29. Smile
30. Open All Night-(Springsteen)
31. Alive
32. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young)
33. Yellow Ledbetter (Ed’s mic doesn’t work at first so he tries singing into a beer bottle.  Soon he switches to his wireless mic which does work). 

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!
Tagged:

Comments

• hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    edited October 2014
    Worth the trip from Toronto!

What an incredible setlist and the energy in the crowd was amazing. I said it before ...just give us the hits and tonight they delivered. Can't go wrong with songs fromTen and VS.

On a side note the hospitality in Lincoln was amazing. The locals were too nice.

Thanks PJ and looking forward to the Canadian tour.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • KC48939KC48939 Missoula, MT Posts: 45
    Well. That might have been the best Pearl Jam show I've seen. Just completely enjoyable. Smile!
  • llessuRllessuR Posts: 195
    Go/Why Go looks really nice back to back on this tour.
    http://www.audiohammock.com - Rock, Indie, and Electronic reviews, news, and the AudioHammock podcast.
    Favorite Albums of 2014 Article
    -Gorge 2005
    -Bonnaroo 2008
    -Key Arena 1 & 2 2009
    -Spokane 2013
  • Great show, great venue, great town. Made the 8.5 drive from Wisconsin worth it. The band was on fire from the start. Light Years, God's Dice, Hide Your Love Away, Imagine, Smile, Open All Night...too cool. Was four rows off the floor on Mike's side and he was working the crowd all night. Whole venue was in a frenzy for RITFW and YB was a perfect ending to an outstanding show!
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • JR85338JR85338 Des Moines, IA Posts: 51
    What an amazing show! Crowd was great. So many unexpected songs. Mike was definetly feeding the crowd. I was GA about 5 rows back--loved his energy tonight. Tulsa and Lincoln were great!
    OKC 11/16/13 Tulsa 10/8/14 Lincoln 10/9/14
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    A couple rarities: Sometimes, insignificance, 1/2 full. Good set.
  • YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    edited October 2014
    Probably the best crowd I have ever seen. Set list doesn't look like much on paper, but the crowd made this show. And the band (especially Ed) knew it. Ed said at the end of the night they would never forget this night. My man Dave getting Smile for his 75th show. Good people and amazing crowd.

Great show.
    Post edited by YLed2 on
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Im confused by people saying "they just played all the normal hits" and "setlist doesnt look like much on paper".
    Looks like this show was filled with awesome rarities and unusual covers. Id be pysched to get ONE of these at a show let alone all in the same night: smile, insignificance, sometimes, god dice, light years, 1/2 full, hide your lve away, eruption, not to mention getaway, which for some reason is a semi rare tune. Congrats to everyone there, you got a gem that really sticks out ! They went someplace new and crushed it for those that made the trek.
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    edited October 2014
    ^Agreed on every level. And Binaural lovers will be happy too!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • MikeoMikeo Posts: 199
    Amazing show! ! First...Thank you to the couple in sec 106 who gave up there front row seats so that my family could sit together. .we had our 2 girls(6 and 8) there rocking out. .everyone around us was very cool and excited for them. I'm sure the 7th row in 106 was just as good.so thank you.

The night was Great all around. ..set was great..sound was great..people were all having the best time...snagged a setlist from a security guard walking by...OPEN ALL NIGHT!!!...there was a lot of the crowd that had no what that song was...but the ones that did were losing their minds...I'm so glad we get to go to 2 more. Thanks again to everyone around us..you definitely made it special.

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Looks like this was a fun show to be at! How was Open All Night? Was it Ed or full band?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Open All Night was with the full band. I kinda thought maybe Ed would do a song from Nebraska as a pre-set, or at the beginning of the second set. By the time the third set rolled around, I was not expecting anything anymore. Ed started playing that simple rock n roll riff, and a few lines in, the band joined in. Like someone previously posted, not many people knew it, but the band rocked it pretty good. Looking forward to this boot!
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,610
    Man, the setlist's this tour look nice and varied. I can't wait for Denver!
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    IMO this is the best set of the tour so far.. congrats to those who went!

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Good lookin' set Nebraska people! Not the crazy ass rarities show that people were begging for, which is good to see!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    One of my favorite Bruce Songs, hope they cover that more than once
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    A Springsteen cover was long overdue. Great to hear. I was wondering if Nebraska would get one.

From the beginning the crowd was into and you knew it was going to be a great night.

Several audibles from Ed in the first set. Was like watching Peyton Manning.
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    edited October 2014
    Amazing energy from crowd and band last night. Mike and Ed were both playing with the crowd all night. Huge smiles all around. Mike raining picks down and the GA crowd reacted and was so full of energy and really took care of each other. Stone was very animated and was clearly having a blast playing especially smile and DTE but all night he was dancing and interacting with the rest of the guys.

I wanted binaural songs so badly and have mentioned so in other threads. I cant believe they played 3 more! Light years, insignificance and gods dice were all amazing performances of 3 of my favorite songs in their entire catalog! I was completely floored to see them. Wish they hadn't cut thin air and sleight of hand. I will keep hunting for those!

Pendulum is the perfect opener. I'm glad theyve stuck with it. Beautiful. Go>>why go>>GETAWAY>> corduroy had a great flow and from where I was (3rd row between Mike and Ed at that point) getaway sounded much tighter. The crowd was great! Everyone singing and jumping and taking care of each other. MYM was loud and tight as it should be! Other highlights for me were (besides the entire experience) 1/2 full, eruption (Mike is a beast!!), hide your love away (Ed nailing the harmonica part) and imagine during which I think every person in the crowd was singing along. Black was so full of emotion especially from Mike during the solo and Ed during a really beautiful and unique tag with RVM lyrics. How does he access his emotions like that over and over and keep it so pure and real like he hasn't sung it 100s of times? incredible. They could just go up there and play the songs but they still FEEL the songs.

Ed killed the Springsteen cover! Seriously killed it. He will make Bruce proud! All the band members were looking at each other and him and smiling in amazement like "shit did you just see how awesome that was?" During black the people in front of me left and before they did they turned around and pulled my friend and I up to their spots. We ended up 2nd row off the rail right between Mike and Ed. Mike played the end of YL sitting on the front of the stage about 3 feet from me. Indescribable. He is a master of his craft and such an amazing person. To be so close to see his fingers moving on that guitar was unfuckingreal!

We didn't sleep the night before bc we knew we had to get moving to get a spot in line to get close. We left tulsa (flying high from that amazing experience) at 2am and got in line in lincoln around 9:15 or so. I have no regrets! I met some great people in line. (Jason I'd love to meet you again and keep talk pj lyrics with you! Thanks agsin so much for the blanket and the chair so I didn't have to sit/nap on the hard and freezing concrete!). I met lots of other fans and friends. All around these were 2 of the most fun days of my life.

THANK YOU ALL OF PEARL JAM! You have enriched my already very full life in a way that nothing or no one else can now or ever will be able to do! Until next time, I truly miss you already!

XXOO

Jen

Post edited by shetellsherself on
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    I dont always agree wit this guy, but the rat is 100% correcto
    nycrats said:

Im confused by people saying "they just played all the normal hits" and "setlist doesnt look like much on paper".
    Looks like this show was filled with awesome rarities and unusual covers. Id be pysched to get ONE of these at a show let alone all in the same night: smile, insignificance, sometimes, god dice, light years, 1/2 full, hide your lve away, eruption, not to mention getaway, which for some reason is a semi rare tune. Congrats to everyone there, you got a gem that really sticks out ! They went someplace new and crushed it for those that made the trek.

• A couple other notes:

"Open All Night" is off Springsteen's Nebraska album, so this makes sense.

Ed and Matt were ready to walk off the stage after Rockin, but Mike started playing YL and they both came back. Thanks Mike!
  • rearviewschlemrearviewschlem Virginia Beach, VA Posts: 46
    Absolutely one the best shows I have ever seen. It was the whole package; venue was amazing, crowd was the best I have seen, bars and food around venue were great, band was so on, EV was really into it, sequence of set list was incrediable.

Amazing energy from crowd and band last night. Mike and Ed were both playing with the crowd all night. Huge smiles all around. Mike raining picks down and the GA crowd reacted and was so full of energy and really took care of each other. Stone was very animated and was clearly having a blast playing especially smile and DTE but all night he was dancing and interacting with the rest of the guys.

I wanted binaural songs so badly and have mentioned so in other threads. I cant believe they played 3 more! Light years, insignificance and gods dice were all amazing performances of 3 of my favorite songs in their entire catalog! I was completely floored to see them. Wish they hadn't cut thin air and sleight of hand. I will keep hunting for those!

Pendulum is the perfect opener. I'm glad theyve stuck with it. Beautiful. Go>>why go>>GETAWAY>> corduroy had a great flow and from where I was (3rd row between Mike and Ed at that point) getaway sounded much tighter. The crowd was great! Everyone singing and jumping and taking care of each other. MYM was loud and tight as it should be! Other highlights for me were (besides the entire experience) 1/2 full, eruption (Mike is a beast!!), hide your love away (Ed nailing the harmonica part) and imagine during which I think every person in the crowd was singing along. Black was so full of emotion especially from Mike during the solo and Ed during a really beautiful and unique tag with RVM lyrics. How does he access his emotions like that over and over and keep it so pure and real like he hasn't sung it 100s of times? incredible. They could just go up there and play the songs but they still FEEL the songs.

Ed killed the Springsteen cover! Seriously killed it. He will make Bruce proud! All the band members were looking at each other and him and smiling in amazement like "shit did you just see how awesome that was?" During black the people in front of me left and before they did they turned around and pulled my friend and I up to their spots. We ended up 2nd row off the rail right between Mike and Ed. Mike played the end of YL sitting on the front of the stage about 3 feet from me. Indescribable. He is a master of his craft and such an amazing person. To be so close to see his fingers moving on that guitar was unfuckingreal!

We didn't sleep the night before bc we knew we had to get moving to get a spot in line to get close. We left tulsa (flying high from that amazing experience) at 2am and got in line in lincoln around 9:15 or so. I have no regrets! I met some great people in line. (Jason I'd love to meet you again and keep talk pj lyrics with you! Thanks agsin so much for the blanket and the chair so I didn't have to sit/nap on the hard and freezing concrete!). I met lots of other fans and friends. All around these were 2 of the most fun days of my life.

THANK YOU ALL OF PEARL JAM! You have enriched my already very full life in a way that nothing or no one else can now or ever will be able to do! Until next time, I truly miss you already!

XXOO

Jen

XXOO

Jen

Life does seem pegged to right prior to and post PJ shows. Very well put. On to Memphis.
  • dissident52dissident52 Omaha, NE Posts: 33
    I don't get to as many shows as some of you guys, but last night was un-fucking-believeable. I was probably 7th row back between Ed and Stone. Smile was definitely a highlight.
    05/03/2010 Kansas City, Missouri
    10/09/2014 Lincoln, Nebraska
  • FREAKHEADFREAKHEAD Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Lincoln resident here. First of all...thank you to everyone that came to the show. I met so many incredible and nice folks from all over, Iowa, Colorado, California, Brazil(!!). First time I didn't have to drive to see a concert, what a refreshing experience.

I have only been able to catch PJ one time in my life, in addition to seeing BRAD. The shows were always too far away for me to get to or I wasn't able to score tickets. Such is life. We finally opened a new venue here in Lincoln and my wish came true, I got to see my favorite band.

Obviously I am a bit biased but as someone who has seen countless concerts over the past 20 years, from very small intimate venues, to full blown OMG Lallapoloozza with Sound Garden, this was by far the best show I've ever seen. Great crowd, nice, kind, friendly....Eddie has really grown as an entertainer! I was 5 rows back from the stage, dead center. No pushing, shoving, everyone was having a great time, signing along, enjoying it as a collective. As pathetic as it sounds, I got tears in my eyes a few times, I was that moved by the music and atmosphere. I had a perfect view and as a short person that is rare at any show.

There were two meatheads that pushed their way in front of us about half way through. My wife and I were standing next to a very (VERY!) short woman and they were blocking her view. I asked very nicely if they could please just move behind her so we all can enjoy the show. He looked at me with a snarly grin and said, this is a rock concert, I can do whatever I want. Obviously he doesn't actually understand the lyrics he sang along with in-between checking facebook.

What can you do right? We made it work, we found a spot for her in front of us, off to the side b/c as I said, most fans were great and they were happy to accommodate her.

I only wanted to post on here to simply say thank you to all the fans that came out. I am so grateful to have shared this experience with you and I hope we can see each other again at the next show. I also hope you all had a great time in Lincoln. As someone who has lived in both small towns and large metropolises, I have found Lincoln to be a great balance between the two. Great local music, food, arts and a great place to raise our kids.

Thanks again everyone!
    Post edited by FREAKHEAD on
  • CorkscrewCorkscrew Rochester, NY Posts: 13

^Agreed on every level. And Binaural lovers will be happy too!

Exactly what I was thinking. Lots of Binaural love in this set.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I hope they keep up the Binaural and Riot Act love....I've been missing them. Honestly that seems to be the first thing I check when I review recent setlists.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • RM168545RM168545 LNK NEBRASKA Posts: 10
    edited October 2014
    ^AGREES EXACTLY W FREAKHEAD
    After a few days to digest. My quick PJ LNK fan view.

FIRST: not one review mentioned that on Smile, Jeff switched to guitar and Stone played bass. It's the musicianship. The pedigree. The feels!

Lincoln resident seeing my fave band of all time play in my college hometown and it's crown gem P-Bbank Arena DESIGNED FOR SOUND.

THE SOUND!
    Still need to go to a Huskers Basketball game there.

I was lucky enough to end up 11 Rows back directly in front of Stone & Boom & several visits from Ed. The arena was ALIVE, every... single... person was standing for 90% of the show! in the Skyboxes I could see silhouettes dancing!

I wrote a typical weird rarities setlist. Several played, we got treated to Hard to Imagine, Sometimes, Insignificance, SMILE, Present Tense, Gods' Dice, Two Beatles Covers, Springsteen Cover, Neil Young Cover,. Etc.

Now here's where it gets weird. For the setlist including Corduroy, EvenFlow, Better Man, Jeremy, Black AND Alive? It didn't feel like a greatest hits show... It felt like your friends were in town to entertain you for 3 hours at 105db. I am spoiled though. I've seen this band UP CLOSE so many times. 1st row. 11th Row. 39th row at the United Center in Chicago. But home court? THE FEELS!

Only time I cringed was Sirens. Seriously the outro is the only part I can feel something besides "ESPN promo".

PinnBank Arena Security HAS GOT to get better. Period. The guard who frisked me complained he was not getting paid enough to do "this".

Ed ranting about Walgreens... PRICELESS. And THEN following it up with two Lennon songs.
    Then Open All Night from Springsteen's NEBRASKA.

HALL OF FAME CALIBER!
    Happy Customer. Would recommend.
    Post edited by RM168545 on
    Bonner Springs KC- July 3rd 1998 FRONT ROW at McCready's feet Bonner Springs KC- Oct 12 2000 ROW 13 Council Bluffs IA - Jun 13 2003 Floor Chicago IL - Jun 18 2003 Floor Oklahoma City OK- Nov 16 2013 Behind the Stage Lincoln NEBRASKA- Oct 9th 2014 Floor GA PIT
  • ll have to digest the past few days..
    But for now The three day trip for PJ on the prairies was amazing. Thanks to my new ticket buddy Scott for the ride up from Tulsa, the conversation and total PJ experience. Tulsa was amazing, lincoln was over the top. Ended up three deep dead center. Amazing experience!!! Present tense, smile wow!

A week until St paul for my 3 ga experience this october with my good friends....

Thank you tulsa, lincoln, scott and PJ!!!
    IF NOTHING IS EVERYTHING, I'LL HAVE IT ALL.

Vancouver 2003
    EV Vancouver 2008
    Winnipeg & Saskatoon 2011
    Wrigley July 2013
    Vancouver & Seattle 2013
    Tulsa, Lincoln & St. Paul 2014
    Mexico City 2015
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Wrigley 1 & 2 2016
    Seattle TOTD 1 & 2 2016 
    London 1, Cancelled / Boarderline, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2 2018
    Ohana 2019