Options

Who is your Fav PJ Drummer?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    Jack Irons
    Gotta be Jack. My two favourite albums plus Mirrorball with Uncle Neil.
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Matt Cameron
    Never was fortunate enough to see pearl jam in the early days , but seeing pearl jam live find matt Cameron the best drummer I've seen and I've seen a lot of bands live. Don't know alot about drumming , but find he uses all the drum kit and his backing vocals adds to the power of eds lyrics. Love every drummer each having there own style but on record it's hard to seperate them, jack irons on given to fly and in my tree. Dave.a. on not for you and matt on force of nature its a great sound they've captured , also abit spinal tap!!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Jack Irons
    EarlWelsh said:

hrd2imgn said:

ohh gosh Matt's singing good? He has ruined bootlegs for me on his background vocals being too high.

Yeah, the dude's got a great voice. His back-ups on the recorded version of Sirens are fantastic and live he's almost always spot on. If you heard something bad or weird on a boot well you can chalk that up to him having a bad night, which all the band's members have.
    I thought he did pretty well on the tour last year... but 03-08 when I saw them, his backup vox totally ruined many a song live for me. Watch the MSG DVD if you need further evidence. But again, great job last tour!
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,924
    Matt Cameron
    I've only seen MC in person, and granted I don't know shit about drumming, I'm always amazed by what he does.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    Eh, if I'm being honest I couldn't tell one from another based on the music. It is all good, but the drums have never been what attracted me to Pearl Jam.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Nicko McBrain
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Matt Cameron
    Matt C, though Jack Irons is a close second. I think Pearl Jam only got better drummers as time went on.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,060
    Matt Cameron
    Jack a VERY close second. I give the edge to Matt simply because of his ability to absolutely fucking bring it live night after night! But, with that being said Jack played drums on two of my favorite albums of any band ever. There must be something to that.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,060
    Matt Cameron
    JimmyV said:

Eh, if I'm being honest I couldn't tell one from another based on the music. It is all good, but the drums have never been what attracted me to Pearl Jam.

Wow really?? Such a difference in styles.
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    Dave Abbruzzese
    Matt Cameron is a great drummer but to me is the most boring of the lot. There, I said it.
  • Options
    DS107374DS107374 Posts: 92
    Matt Cameron
    I can't believe that we're still having this conversation...I think it's terrible and an insult to Matty.
    Randall's Island, NY 9/29/96; Camden, NJ 9/2/00; Philadelphia, PA 10/3/05; East Rutherford, NJ 6/1/06; Virginia Beach, VA 6/17/08; Camden, NJ 6/19/08; Philadelphia, PA 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919

JimmyV said:

Wow really?? Such a difference in styles.
    Yeah. If I didn't know who played on what record I wouldn't know it wasn't the same guy throughout. Not a knock on any of them. Maybe a little knock on me actually...

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jack Irons
    cydonia said:

Never was fortunate enough to see pearl jam in the early days , but seeing pearl jam live find matt Cameron the best drummer I've seen and I've seen a lot of bands live. Don't know alot about drumming , but find he uses all the drum kit and his backing vocals adds to the power of eds lyrics. Love every drummer each having there own style but on record it's hard to seperate them, jack irons on given to fly and in my tree. Dave.a. on not for you and matt on force of nature its a great sound they've captured , also abit spinal tap!!

No offense to Mr. Cameron, but you having seen many bands live...ever seen Tool or Rush?

Just curious :D
  • Options
    PernillePernille Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 114
    Jack Irons
    I think all of PJ's drummers have been great, so it's hard to pick one favourite. But if I had to, it would be Jack Irons - for his groove, his creativity and his general weirdness :)

I absolutely love Matt Cameron though, he difinitely kills it live and fits personality wise better with the band than any other drummer they had.
    2000: Roskilde
    2006: Berlin
    2007: Copenhagen
    2010: London
    2012: Copenhagen
    2014: Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2, Stockholm
    2016: MSG1, MSG2
  • Options
    dadesdades Posts: 321
    Matt Cameron
    He fits the bill.
    Glasgow Cathouse 1992
    Glasgow S.E.C.C. 2000
    Shepherds Bush 2009 - M.E.N 2009 - London O2 2009
    Boston 2010 - Newark 2010 - MSG1+2 2010 - Dublin 2010 - Belfast 2010
    London 2010
    Manchester 1+2 2012 EV Manchester 2012 EV London 31/7/2012
    Philly 1+2 2013 - Hartford 2013
    Berlin 2014 Leeds 2014
    Fenway 2 2016
    EV London 1+2 2017
    London 1+2 - Berlin 2018
  • Options
    ZenogiasZenogias Posts: 23
    Matt Cameron
    MFC all the way! One of my all-time favourite drummers, class act all the way!
  • Options
    Matt Cameron
    Matt Cameron, He is the only Pearl Jam drummer I have seen. I've been a fan since 2001 so it was a no brainer for me.
    IF YOU HATE SOMETHING,.. DONT YOU DO IT TOO
  • Options
    CC252CC252 Posts: 61
    Matt Cameron
    Not even a close contest.
    Been a fan since '94 and, up until 1998, this band felt like it had a piece missing.
    Matt Cameron was that piece and continues to be that piece. As well as being a great drummer he seems like a great person and complements the other band members perfectly. He said on PJ20 that the guys saved him, and that's why he stayed loyal this year with Soundgarden playing shows at the same time.
    Manchester - Torino - London - Amsterdam - Leeds - Praha
  • Options
    Dowder5167Dowder5167 Posts: 195
    Dave Abbruzzese
    Dave A. Is the easy choice. All you have to do is listen to the early performances and the pure power of the drums.
  • Options
    vladsplatvladsplat Posts: 116
    Matt Cameron
    Matt, then Jack!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    Dave Abbruzzese

Dave A. Is the easy choice. All you have to do is listen to the early performances and the pure power of the drums.

I love listening to some of those early boots....especially early versions of Sonic Reducer with Dave A. He is just beating the shit out of the drums...good stuff.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Matt Cameron
    I like them all, but MC is my fave.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    Matt Cameron
    I think MC, Dave A, and Jack are all incredible drummers but MC has stood the test of time and his songwriting ability is a great addition to the group. I will acknowledge, however, that Jack Irons drummed on my favorite PJ album of all-time, Yield.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    Jack Irons
    jack! jack! jack!
    got to see him live twice. he held his own with mr. Cameron.
    now I don't know if jack is cut out for the marathons that the shows have become lately...
    but No Code/Yield studio drumming gives him the slight edge on Matt.
    I actually prefer Matt's style within the heaviness of SG songs.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    edited August 2014
    Matt Cameron
    Matt Cameron is a machine, and he is capable of far more than what he is allowed to do with Pearl Jam, and I respect him putting his ego aside for the betterment of the band
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYhquRwKxdI
  • Options
    Matt Cameron
    Um, because he is a thunder god
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited August 2014
    Jack Irons
    I actually regret voting for Jack now. I just did it because of In My Tree, lol. I would change my vote to Matt if i could, as much as I love Jack. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata